U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmena

Thank you,Wyliefan! After reading your post, I checked in the Oxford dictionary. Ha! Ha!🤣 I did not get it that "yay" was meant as an approval exclamation...:unsure:🤣!! here we are... not everyone is good in English. Thank you once more for the explanation and for the patience to do so🙂!

Sylvia

TBD
Fan Zone article on Gabriella Izzo before she competes at U.S. Classic today:
Her passion for the City of Lights will shine through in her short program this season. She's skating to an Edith Piaf medley.
"I picked these specific songs because I fell in love with [Canada's] Kaetlyn Osmond's short program during the 2018 Olympic season," she explained. "I absolutely love French culture and the accent, the language."
The routine was choreographed by Adam Blake and they worked together to tell a story. Izzo recently got her skating costume for the piece. It's a one-shoulder dress that is eggplant in color with some black lace. "It's super romantic. It's super French," she described. "It has a belt and everything about it is like evening gown in Paris on a night out."
Izzo recently began her sophomore year at Harvard University. She has yet to officially declare a major, but she is leaning towards government with a secondary in environmental science and public policy. She's taking a pre-law route and may pursue politics or criminology. Due to the pandemic, Izzo spent her entire freshman year taking virtual classes. She is excited to experience campus life for the first time.

Jammers

Looking at all of the US senior ladies it seems like Alysa is the only one skating like she has something to prove. She wants it and is going out and taking it. I don't see that with the other US ladies. Maybe we'll se it with Amber and Bradie when she gets healthy but Alysa is setting herself up to be the huge favorite come Nationals.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Congratulations to Kate Wang for the highest finish today at JGP Krasnoyarsk by a non-Russian Woman - 6th place! Her LP to Haunted Heart by Aguilera.

America’s Maryn Pierce also moves up - 10th to 8th place - with her elegant, expressive style...but also fine tech, including a 3-3 combo. Seemed like another era but I love it.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I am really impressed with Kate Wang!! Beautiful skater. She seems so laid back and casual when she skates, and then out comes 3/3s! It's like I know the goal is to make everything look effortless, but Kate? Lol, sometimes I was thinking she could at least ACT like she's putting some effort into her program!! I like it! Yet another strong American junior. Finally!

Jammers

Per the USFS international assignments page Mia Kalin is going to the Poland JGP and Kate Wang to the Austrian one.
No Kanon Smith? Is she hurt because she certainly would be more competitive then some of the girls they have sent out plus she's the reigning US Junior ladies silver medalist.

natsulian

Mia Kalin and Kate Wang have officially been assigned to JGP Poland and JGP Austria respectively. Kalin will join Clare Seo and Wang will join Isabeau Levito in representing Team USA.

Link: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...22-international-assignments-and-results.aspx

Thus, here are the junior women who received two assignments:
  • Isabeau Levito
  • Lindsay Thorngren
  • Ava Marie Ziegler
  • Clare Seo
  • Kate Wang
  • Mia Kalin

A list of the women who received one assignment:
  • Josephine Lee
  • Maryn Pierce

Kanon Smith, the silver-medalist at Junior Nationals, seems to be injured (my hypothesis, not at all confirmed) as she has not competed at all on the Junior Grand Prix circuit. Smith's last competition was Skate Milwaukee back in July.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Even with a mask on, you can see Alysa Liu's big smile in this article about her by Philp Hersh.

Sonia Bianchetti of Italy, a longtime International Skating Union official and judge, went to Lombardia Trophy as a spectator. She came away very impressed by Liu, whose total and free skate scores were second best ever by a U.S. woman, with easily her highest component scores ever internationally.

“She skated very well both in the short and the free,” Bianchetti said in an email. “All her jumps are very well executed, effortless, high and long. She has also beautiful spins. What is even more important for me is that she glides well on the ice, with deep edges, and she moves her hands and body according to the music. She is very elegant considering her age.”

At the same time, Liu seems to be slowly regaining command of one of the big jumps, the triple axel, which had been her competitive plus. Her first attempt, at Cranberry Cup, ended in a fall and downgrade. The next, at Lombardia, was landed slightly under-rotated. She has no reservations about trying it again at Nebelhorn, where the stakes include her needing a top-six finish to earn the U.S. a third spot in women’s singles at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics.

“I was very shocked and pretty honored when they (U.S. Figure Skating) picked me to compete for the third spot,” Liu said. “I don’t feel any pressure. I think that must be a change in my mindset. I’m kind of skating just for myself right now.”

wickedwitch

“I was very shocked and pretty honored when they (U.S. Figure Skating) picked me to compete for the third spot,” Liu said. “I don’t feel any pressure. I think that must be a change in my mindset. I’m kind of skating just for myself right now.”
This is an odd comment. She was clearly the best choice. She won Cranberry -- and it's not like that was close.

Regardless, I'm thrilled with the improvements she's made and can't wait to see her skate again.

VGThuy

I think it’s hard for us fans to imagine that skaters may have a very different perspective of where they fit in the entire domestic and international skating field. I kind of believe they may have a more “limited” perspective, at least when they’re young, because they have more tunnel vision that is focused more on their own training, and especially younger ones are sort of shielded by their coaches of their competition as a whole, and they don’t watch skating and all the competitions and then do countless amounts of analyzation the way fans do. Of course there are some notable exceptions who seem very aware, and maybe even more aware than the most ardent fans even.

Jammers

Who would have though just a couple of years ago that someone as respected in the sport as Sonia Bianchetti would described Alysa's skating with words such as deep edges and how well she glides on the ice. Those were words we would not have used even last year about her skating what a difference a year makes.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I wonder what she will do after the Olympics. I can't help hoping she will be around for more than one season as this newly matured, full-package skater.
I recall Dave Lease saying that Arthur Liu plans for Alysa to retire after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information