Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

Women's FP:

Daria - Not as impressive as the short. Not a fan of this version of the music and it didn't build anywhere, kind of wasting her musicality.

Kseniia - Very gentle reach and toe picks on the toe jump takeoffs which is nice to watch but also somewhat close to the other foot. Nice reverse spin.

Liza Nugu - Pleasant skater, reminds me of Suzanna Poykio, belongs more on a cruise ship than the hunger games.

Sofia - Very dull. And with the jump issues, no chance this season (or ever).

Maiia - Love the timing of the combo spin. She needs a lot more fire and face to pull this off.

Alena - Nearly there. Too bad the program is generic.

Anna - I don't mind the program so much as I don't know what she is trying to do with it.

Liza Tuk - Very catchy, which hides her weaknesses compared to the girls before her.

Kamila - I hate this program for her. It highlights her lack of rhythm and doesn't show off her line and glide.

Sasha - Wowza. What do you say when she does harder things than the men?!

For now I would have the pecking order as:

Sasha > Kamila > Anna > Tuk > Alena > Maiia > Daria > Kseniia > Sofia = Liza N

Much will change throughout the season though.

jenny12

I think it will be Trusova, Tuktamysheva and Valieva for Beijing. And I am fine with it.

Is anybody else bothered by the lack of Anna Shcherbakova's toe point by now? I've always loved her and her awesome programs, but as soon as I noticed that she went to Yuka Kawaguti's school of toe point, I can't unsee it. And it bothers me. A LOT.

I agree that skaters who don’t point their toes can be an eyesore. I still can enjoy their skating very much but lack of toe point does take away from the total package. Anna has other lovely qualities but it does make her look unfinished sometimes. Obviously she’s not the only skater who doesn’t point her toes. Yuzuru Hanyu and Yu-Na Kim didn’t either. They’re two of my favorite skaters ever but I admit the lack of pointed toes takes away from their immense qualities for me sometimes.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It makes no difference to me whether toes are pointed or not. In pairs it does add beauty and lines but that is the only place where it has meaning. Evgenia Shishkova had lovely pointed toes but all I read about her on fsu is in negative terms.

I never cared that Midori Ito did not point her toes.

BTW why are only Russian skaters being criticized for their lack of toe pointing? How many North American skaters lack pointed toes? Countless I think.

With this I am done with this topic. I love FS and I enjoy watching it. I enjoy ballet when I watch it too, but it is a separate discipline.

jenny12

BTW why are only Russian skaters being criticized for their lack of toe pointing? How many North American skaters lack pointed toes?

Considering the inflated PCS the Russians get, I don’t see any problems with pointing out areas where they are lacking. Anyway, I’ve criticized Hanyu for not pointing his toes before. We complain about posture in skating so I don’t see the problem with doing so about this.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
BTW why are only Russian skaters being criticized for their lack of toe pointing? How many North American skaters lack pointed toes? Countless I think.
This is just a wild guess, but is it possible that you are only selectively reading threads about your favorites and ignoring the comments about skaters from other countries? There were countless discussions throughout Yuna Kim's career about it, for example, and I see a lot of people who can't get past Kaori Sakamoto's lack of line or finish. Maybe you are too busy to read those threads?

soogar

So now we've seen the programmes, which do we think are Olympic-winning/medalling LPs? Since the magic of the moment is always such a big part of who wins/medals on the night, putting aside the technical aspects, what strikes you as a gold/silver/bronze programme?
(Bearing in mind that this is the very beginning of the season and that programmes and costumes and edits will probably be tinkered with ad infinitum, and that we don't know which three will actually be picked...)

I feel that Anna's LP doesn't quite have "it", even though I do like it for her. No build-up or big soaring moment, and ending with Lacrymosa will make people feel like they're in a church not an arena. Some skaters could bring a crowd to ecstasy with such music but Anna, I'm not sure.
Aliona's music is one I like but that I think she doesn't, and for someone who can add points to her score with performance alone that's a big problem. It's lifeless just now.
Liza: the whole piece is built to a climax and made to carry a crowd along with her. If she hits all her jumps, it'll go down a storm.
Sasha: I think I've made my opinion abundantly clear several times in the KnC thread ;) The perfect packaging for her. Should have people pogoing in the aisles if she's on.
Kamila. I know a lot of people think she's got it all and yet somehow for me it amounts to less than the sum of its parts. I'm bored and I can't pretend I'm not. When the jumps fails it's even more obvious. Her age has always been seen as an asset, because Eteri technique and all that, but I think it's a hindrance. She's not a natural performer and hasn't had time to find a style or learn to skate to the crowd. This Bolero is endless.
Maiia: she has more presence now and is being consistent. She's in with a chance in case of injuries of other contenders but there's nothing that stands out or excites about her programmes.
I feel the same way you do about Kamila. I find her boring on ice. She doesn't show a lot of personality.

Team Mishin did a fantastic job on both of Liza's programs. She's much older than everyone so I'm sure her team is setting her up to peak later in the season but she looked very fit out there and the programs were polished and engaging. Costumes looked fantastic and sexy as well.

I don't see Aliona making the Olympic team. I think she lost a lot of ground last year and she's really just the same skater she always was.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Team Mishin did a fantastic job on both of Liza's programs. She's much older than everyone so I'm sure her team is setting her up to peak later in the season but she looked very fit out there and the programs were polished and engaging. Costumes looked fantastic and sexy as well.
Which of course means Mishin will change everything just as he always does. :lol:

soogar

Which of course means Mishin will change everything just as he always does. :lol:
I'm kind of hoping that he will leave everything alone. But then again, he had magic with Kolyada and the light shirt and they had to go and change his costume at worlds.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I feel the same way you do about Kamila. I find her boring on ice. She doesn't show a lot of personality.

I don't see Aliona making the Olympic team. I think she lost a lot of ground last year and she's really just the same skater she always was.
This is a long season. Anything can happen.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is just a wild guess, but is it possible that you are only selectively reading threads about your favorites and ignoring the comments about skaters from other countries? There were countless discussions throughout Yuna Kim's career about it, for example, and I see a lot of people who can't get past Kaori Sakamoto's lack of line or finish. Maybe you are too busy to read those threads?
You are right. I am very short on time, lot of travel, so I am being selective. I am reading only a few threads, and not all posts from those threads. This will continue until December, for sure. So far I have watched just three performances from the Russian test skates, which was very high on my priority. The amount of information is overwhelming. Haven't touched many other threads.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
A peek at Trusova’s jumps in Norwood-Boston, ahead of the US Classic. The low-voiced reactions by the guy taking this film is half the fun.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
A peek at Trusova’s jumps in Norwood-Boston, ahead of the US Classic. The low-voiced reactions by the guy taking this film is half the fun.

I recently discovered I could watch Youtube on my big screen television, and what a difference it makes!! Sasha's jumps are so solid. That 3axel looks like she's been doing it casually for years. Who will be her closest competitor at US Classic? Paige Rydberg? How much $$$ does the winner receive?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I recently discovered I could watch Youtube on my big screen television, and what a difference it makes!! Sasha's jumps are so solid. That 3axel looks like she's been doing it casually for years. Who will be her closest competitor at US Classic? Paige Rydberg? How much $$$ does the winner receive?
Only 9 women left in the field. A Russian TV preview this morn mentioned Izzo (“the US Jr champ”...but didn’t mention 2019 year)...but I’d agree with you about Rydberg. Doesn’t matter. Sasha’s here to make a statement.

Don’t know about money award.

It would be interesting to know if she’s staying on for the month, all the way up to Skate America. Perhaps Eteri will arrange for her to stay with her daughter in Michigan? I also wonder if they’ll use the time in the US for marketing activities with Adidas, NBC, etc?

Hopefully we’ll learn a bit more.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Only 9 women left in the field. A Russian TV preview this morn mentioned Izzo (“the US Jr champ”...but didn’t mention 2019 year)...but I’d agree with you about Rydberg. Doesn’t matter. Sasha’s here to make a statement.

Don’t know about money award.

It would be interesting to know if she’s staying on for the month, all the way up to Skate America. Perhaps Eteri will arrange for her to stay with her daughter in Michigan? I also wonder if they’ll use the time in the US for marketing activities with Adidas, NBC, etc?

Hopefully we’ll learn a bit more.
I think she should stay if the facility is there. It is not good to travel too much.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
But why would she stay here in the US for a month when she can just go back home and train in the comfort of the environment she's completely familiar with as well as her own coaches?
I agree. There are only what, three months to Russian Nationals? She can't be training away from home base for an entire month. Or at least I hope she doesn't. That's alot of time to not have Dudakov watching over you and correcting any minute mistakes before they become a problem.

Tobbe

We should all bet on how big the margin will be to 2nd place. 50...60....70?? ;)

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
But why would she stay here in the US for a month when she can just go back home and train in the comfort of the environment she's completely familiar with as well as her own coaches?
Because she might have trouble entering the US again for Skate America? They are probably playing it safe and staying right there in order to avoid any visa problems which might come up in the next weeks.

Stephanie

Because she might have trouble entering the US again for Skate America? They are probably playing it safe and staying right there in order to avoid any visa problems which might come up in the next weeks.
As long as she has a visa valid for multiple entries, which I'm sure she does or she wouldn't have bothered to come to Boston for the US Classic, she should be fine unless Russia gets put on some sort of C**** red list and Russians are blocked from entering the US (and even then there could be exceptions for high level athletes).

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
As long as she has a visa valid for multiple entries, which I'm sure she does or she wouldn't have bothered to come to Boston for the US Classic, she should be fine unless Russia gets put on some sort of C**** red list and Russians are blocked from entering the US (and even then there could be exceptions for high level athletes).
Everything's possible, but I think Trusova and her team are just gonna play it safe which is perfectly fine.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Everything's possible, but I think Trusova and her team are just gonna play it safe which is perfectly fine.
but why is Trusova different from Usacheva, she is also in team Tut
why she didnt get a visa yet

Is it because Trusova is more famous, she got VIP process ?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
but why is Trusova different from Usacheva, she is also in team Tut
why she didnt get a visa yet

Is it because Trusova is more famous, she got VIP process ?
I have no idea. Maybe she will come over soon enough?
Anyway, why are we even discussing this? It's their business. All I want is to see great clean programs in the competitions and may the best one win. Easy as that.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have no idea. Maybe she will come over soon enough?
Anyway, why are we even discussing this? It's their business. All I want is to see great clean programs in the competitions and may the best one win. Easy as that.
I do care about the health of the skaters. It will be a huge disappointment if one or more of them cannot make it to SA due to YKW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information