2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

Marco

Cup of China in Chongqing originally was the 3rd GP, November 5-7, 2021.

It'll be interesting to see if any Italian skaters can or will get shifted to Torino? Will the 3 Chinese men & women get to keep their assignments? China's pairs & dance TBAs can go to Italy at least.

ETA: Grassl, Della Monica/Guarise & Ghilardi/Ambrosini (assigned to China originally) now have home ice. :)

Cup of China - Chongqing / CHN --> Torino, Italy November 5-7, 2021
Loena HENDRICKX (BEL), Hongyi CHEN (CHN), Shan Ashley LIN (CHN), Yi Beverly ZHU (CHN), Mai MIHARA (JPN), Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN), Yelim KIM (KOR), Eunsoo LIM (KOR), Maiia KHROMYKH (RUS), Sofia SAMODUROVA (RUS), Anna SHCHERBAKOVA (RUS), Bradie TENNELL (USA)

Yudong CHEN (CHN), Boyang JIN (CHN), Han YAN (CHN), Paul FENTZ (GER), Daniel GRASSL (ITA), Yuma KAGIYAMA (JPN), Kazuki TOMONO (JPN), Deniss VASILJEVS (LAT), Junhwan CHA (KOR), Dmitri ALIEV (RUS), Petr GUMENNIK (RUS), Mikhail KOLYADA (RUS)

Cheng PENG / Yang JIN (CHN), Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN), TBA (CHN), Annika HOCKE / Robert KUNKEL (GER), Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA), Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINI (ITA), Iuliia ARTEMEVA / Mikhail NAZARYCHEV (RUS), Alina PEPELEVA / Roman PLESHKOV (RUS)

Carolane SOUCISSE / Shane FIRUS (CAN), Hong CHEN / Zhuoming SUN (CHN), Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU (CHN), TBA (CHN), Evgeniia LOPAREVA / Geoffrey BRISSAUD (FRA), Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA), Katharina MUELLER / Tim DIECK (GER), Alexandra STEPANOVA/ Ivan BUKIN (RUS), Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS (USA), Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA)
China still has strict quarantine requirements so I guess it makes sense they can't host a FS competition just yet.

Do the CHN pairs really want to compete in the GPs in Europe and miss 2 to 3 weeks of ice due to quarantine - just 2.5 months before the BJ Olympics?!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
China still has strict quarantine requirements so I guess it makes sense they can't host a FS competition just yet.

Do the CHN pairs really want to compete in the GPs in Europe and miss 2 to 3 weeks of ice due to quarantine - just 2.5 months before the BJ Olympics?!
Are we 100% sure that the OWG will take place this coming February 2022? We can hope, of course.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

you're gonna call it that all season, or...? :shuffle:

To be fair, I think that's how a few cities won their bids to host.

Sylvia

TBD
Also: if Italy is going to be taking any ladies' spots (and you'd assume they would want them), that poses an imminent selection question, since surely the first person who would be in line for that would be reigning national champion Lara Naki Gutmann, who is still, as of this typing, on the entry list for JGP Slovakia next week.
Oooooo... Good point! I'd probably pull her from the JGP and give her a host GP assignment instead. They already sent her to Sr Worlds last year.
Lara Naki Gutmann has withdrawn from this week's JGP in Slovakia (Italy did not replace her).

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' press release (Sept. 2, 2021):
U.S. Figure Skating announced today the final athlete selections for the United States at 2021 Guaranteed Rate Skate America, set for Oct. 22–24 at The Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. Audrey Shin (women), Yaroslav Paniot (men), Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson (pairs), and Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov (ice dance) have been selected by U.S. Figure Skating to compete in Las Vegas.

azcalder

What a move up for Cesanek and Yehorov, considering they didn't even make the cut for the last Junior Worlds.
C &Y were second after the RD - lost base values + GOEs for their FD Choreo Step Seq. They finished .45 points behind third place and a probable trip to Jr. Worlds.

Dobre

This is what happens when all the other junior dance teams split and/or don't move up to seniors and/or split as young seniors.

It seemed likely that C&Y would make the transition to seniors since he went through all the effort of changing countries in order to come here with only a couple seasons of junior competition left. Anyway, I'm glad it has worked out for them as I do think they are a pretty well balanced team.

I am, of course, :wuzrobbed about losing McNamara & Carpenter and Nguyen & Kolesnik, but young ice dance teams will break my heart again and again.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
The grids were updated yesterday and it appears China kept all of their spots for the event moved to Torino. There are TBAs in pairs and dance for the Torino event.

Also Shin was added as the TBA for Skate America but the other three disciplines still show TBA. Other host picks are still TBA.

The entries/results page for the individual competitions have also been updated.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
The grids were updated yesterday and it appears China kept all of their spots for the event moved to Torino. There are TBAs in pairs and dance for the Torino event.

Also Shin was added as the TBA for Skate America but the other three disciplines still show TBA. Other host picks are still TBA.

The entries/results page for the individual competitions have also been updated.
This pisses me off. In no way should China have been allowed to keep the host spots that went to skaters who wouldn't have qualified otherwise or allocate their original TBA host spots. I really hope that Italy's own skaters get some assignments as withdrawals happen. Can't believe Tursy is still listed for RC :rofl: .

Cherub721

YEAH!
This pisses me off. In no way should China have been allowed to keep the host spots that went to skaters who wouldn't have qualified otherwise or allocate their original TBA host spots. I really hope that Italy's own skaters get some assignments as withdrawals happen.

I'm ok with the Chinese skaters keeping the already assigned spots, as long as the TBAs go to Italy.

Vagabond

It's questionable whether any Chinese skaters will go to Italy for the Grand Prix event.

Chinese athletes and sports officials can enter Italy, but, at the moment, they have to self-isolate for ten days upon arrival. I doubt that China will not want its athletes to travel and compete under those circumstances, so up to three entries in each discipline should open up. I would expect Italy to assign as many skaters as it can to fill those spots.

Karen-W

Shan Lin and Yi Zhu both train in North America, so at least they should be able to compete in Italy.
Are the Chinese ice dancers back in Montreal yet or are they still in China? With Canada loosening their travel restrictions, it would make sense to get them back to Montreal now so that they can get whatever quarantining over and some good, in-person training with the IAM team in before the GP season, plus ensure they can get into Italy without problem.

Vagabond

Incidentally, Russia is also on List E, so its skaters face the same quarantine restrictions as China's. That could potentially open up nine entries across the four disciplines at the Italian GP event, since AFAIK all of the invitees from Russia live and train in Russia.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Shan Lin and Yi Zhu both train in North America, so at least they should be able to compete in Italy.
Based on her Instagram, Yi (Beverly) Zhu left Canada this summer and has been in China since then.
Are the Chinese ice dancers back in Montreal yet or are they still in China?
We'll know soon enough since Wang/Liu & Chen/Sun are scheduled for Autumn Classic International next week.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Incidentally, Russia is also on List E, so its skaters face the same quarantine restrictions as China. That could potentially open up nine entries across the four disciplines at the Italian GP event, since AFAIK all of the invitees from Russia live and train in Russia.
covid tested flights and athletes are excempted,

Italy is less restrictive than France
does France allow Athletes as excemptions ?

I tried to scroll, I didnt even see China on the E list :confused:

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Are the Chinese ice dancers back in Montreal yet or are they still in China? With Canada loosening their travel restrictions, it would make sense to get them back to Montreal now so that they can get whatever quarantining over and some good, in-person training with the IAM team in before the GP season, plus ensure they can get into Italy without problem.
They were still in China, but they're supposed to be going to the Autumn Classic, so I would guess the plan is to come for that competition and then stay here.

Karen-W

It's questionable whether any Chinese skaters will go to Italy for the Grand Prix event.

Chinese athletes and sports officials can enter Italy, but, at the moment, they have to self-isolate for ten days upon arrival. I doubt that China will not want its athletes to travel and compete under those circumstances, so up to three entries in each discipline should open up. I would expect Italy to assign as many skaters as it can to fill those spots.
Incidentally, Russia is also on List E, so its skaters face the same quarantine restrictions as China. That could potentially open up nine entries across the four disciplines at the Italian GP event, since AFAIK all of the invitees from Russia live and train in Russia.
So, I clicked on the "Exemptions" link on the List E page and I'm pretty sure they aren't subject to quarantine restrictions if they get an exemption which they're eligible for as participants in a sports competition. I don't think we have anything to worry about with regard to China or Russia's entries. I can't imagine the ISU would have awarded the GP event to Torino without checking into the travel restrictions, especially since they just ran into that with the Courchevel JGPs last month.

Last edited:

greenapple

It will be interesting to see if they do actually compete at ACI. If they arrived on or after September 7 they and have not been vaccinated with one of the four approved vaccines they would be subject to a 14-day quarantine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information