U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

It was during 2000 Nationals free skate IIRC, so yeah it would’ve been The Mummy. Honestly, the majority of her programs pre-2001 season were kinda meh and that transformation she had was 😱 I still remember watching 2000 Skate America and being blown away at the difference.
Then again the programs in the next (Olympic) season were exact replicas of those in 2000/1. Her skating was beautiful but again kinda dull.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Olympics.com has an article on Alysa ahead of her ISU Challenger Series debut at Lombardia Trophy this week:
I wish they would stop bringing up how I would Alysa was conceived. It is a weird thing to keep mentioning . IMO it is a private matter. It is neutral...neither a badge of nor a seecret.

Unless we are going to insert how all skates are were conceived as part of the skaters bios. Could kind of interesting. Janie Jones skates out on the ice and we hear.."Janie has great potential. She was conceived in the back of the Chevy at the 🚗 in.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wish they would stop bringing up how I would Alysa was conceived. It is a weird thing to keep mentioning . IMO it is a private matter. It is neutral...neither a badge of nor a seecret.

Unless we are going to insert how all skates are were conceived as part of the skaters bios. Could kind of interesting. Janie Jones skates out on the ice and we hear.."Janie has great potential. She was conceived in the back of the Chevy at the 🚗 in.
ITA but you know that, unfortunately, it will be brought up again & again in the run-up to Beijing. Arthur Liu may end up being the most popular interview subject... between the “conception story” and his history of protesting China. (Would he even be allowed into China, safely? I wonder.)

kwanatic

...she wasn't any less wooden than, say, Adeliia Petrosian of Russia...

I wouldn't call either girl wooden. Kalin's movements were plenty expressive enough for me--about what you'd expect for someone her age. And I found Petrosian to be expressive as well, especially her tango FS. She gave attitude and that sharpness to her movements that really sold the theme. Muravieva had a more mature look and of course Zhilina had the tougher content but there's something about Petrosian I like... I enjoyed her skate the most of the two Russians though her impact was less by comparison.

Still not sure what an Ultra-C is or who coined it

Something about the use of this term irks the hell outta me 😡. I had to look it up a few months ago b/c it was being used so frequently I wanted to know where the nonsense started. Yep, it's a Japanese idiom from 1968 coined for gymnastics basically used to psych out their competition. Difficulty ranged from A to C back then, so their strategy was to say their elements were "Ultra-C", more difficult than the most difficult level of difficulty😆. Why someone decided to use it for figure skating is beyond me. All I know is I hate it lol.

"Ultra-C element"... Sounds like some kind of video game super fighting move or something. Since we're just making stuff up, let's create something original for skating. I vote for the term Omega-Z-99 LeVeL element? Thoughts? :giggle:

Willin

@kwanatic Yeah the term Ultra-C is practically a trigger word for me at this point. As I said in another post it's an instant cue that anyone who uses the term is a new fan because anyone who uses that term obviously isn't a long time fan or a skater/coach themselves.

RoseRed

@kwanatic Yeah the term Ultra-C is practically a trigger word for me at this point. As I said in another post it's an instant cue that anyone who uses the term is a new fan because anyone who uses that term obviously isn't a long time fan or a skater/coach themselves.
I've seen plenty of long-time fans who know the sport use the term. It doesn't tell you that someone is a new fan, just that they've picked up this newly popular term. It's quite popular in Russian skating circles, from what I've seen.

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense when you break it down, and it's fine to not like the term or use it. But I don't like the idea that we're assuming someone doesn't know what they're talking about just because they're using a term that's become popular.

VGThuy

After an earlier, heavier debate about it, I now put “Ultra-C” in the same category as “Super Slam” or “Grand Slam”. They’re just efficient words fans can use when they’re comparing their faves against others. I don’t use them and I chuckle when I see them, but maybe those terms will become long lasting terms in skating if enough people use them for a long stretch of time. Every skating-specific word started somewhere.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Wasn't that when she was coached by Callaghan? She looked miserable that year and given the stories we've heard I can understand why.
To be fair, don't think that was it. The Callaghan stories were big during 1999 Worlds and she could've left in the spring or summer following that.

She probably was just as bored with The Mummy as we were.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Well, I've been a fan for 45 years, and I use Ultra or Ultra-C because it is a short way of saying 3axel/quad. I started typing Ultra because it's just quicker. And people know what you are referring to.

Vagabond

Well, I've been a fan for 45 years, and I use Ultra or Ultra-C because it is a short way of saying 3axel/quad. I started typing Ultra because it's just quicker. And people know what you are referring to.
:wideeyes: That's what it means?! :eek:

I thought it had something to do with going beyond crossovers. :slinkaway

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting the latest ISU Challenger Series assignments here:
USFS assignments are up for Finlandia and the Asian Open (Olympic Test Event in Beijing):

Finlandia: Karen Chen, Amber Glenn

Asian Open: Mariah Bell, Gabriella Izzo
Alysa is in 1st place (74.31) after the SP at Lombardia Trophy and Audrey Shin is in 5th (58.80).
Liu's jumps were 2A, 3F & 3Lz+3T and she received level 4s for her footwork and 2 spins (final layback was level 3).

VGThuy

But context....you can say "ultra c elements" a lot smoother than you can say "elements like 3a/quads."
This is how I would say it, honestly:

"Competitor A doesn't have ultra-C elements like competitor B."

Or

"Competitor A doesn't have 3a/quads like competitor B."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information