From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

Yes, it is less effective than Pfizer or Moderna but the upside, as you point out, is that it's a single shot. I'm not sure how easy it is for non-residents of EU countries to get a vaccine in those countries. Here in the US, you only need to show ID for your age - pharmacies and drive-up vaccine clinics aren't asking for your immigration status, so it would be fairly easy to find a pharmacy that is offering J&J and schedule an appointment the day after your competition but before you leave the country. And, then, since it's J&J, it's been approved for use in Europe and removes all of the hassle of needing to quarantine because you haven't received an approved vaccine (ie Sputnik, Sinovac or Sinopharm).
Johnson & Johnson is the most convenient vaccination for the athletes and I hope they decide to get it if their parents think it's right for them for those under the age of 18 anyway.
Before you know it it will be the end of the year and will have a better idea what coronavirus is doing and if everything will still take place as we
hope.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
J&J is not approved for under 18.

The Chinese vaccines aren’t great, but evidence indicates that Sputnik is a good one on par with the ones approved in the US. (But I do understand it doesn’t have wide acceptance and I think in part that’s geopolitics and not science.)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
J&J is not approved for under 18.

The Chinese vaccines aren’t great, but evidence indicates that Sputnik is a good one on par with the ones approved in the US. (But I do understand it doesn’t have wide acceptance and I think in part that’s geopolitics and not science.)
Exactly. Sputnik was sent to many countries early on, incl Argentina, Hungary, etc. welcomed, used, effective. It can’t be that bad.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
San Marino, Italy, Hungary, get Sputnik jabs, The Only reason teh EU takes too long to approve it coz they dont know what to do follow science or geopilitics, I think they will approve a mutual vaccine acceptance, russia dont approve western made vaccines too for russians.

at least in GP Italy, Russian skaters wont have a problem.
The biggest test will be Canada and France.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Last edited:

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Tarasova/Morozov have reportedly changed their short to the W.E. soundtrack.
This is doubly troubling because not only are they scrapping what could become one of their best programs ever for no reason but also, based on precedent, they'll just reuse the choreo with a different musical accompaniment that doesn't fit. I highly doubt their new program will be crafted with the same level of care.

If I'm right, let's hope they return to Clair de Lune after their new program gets panned by the judges and their fans all tell them to go back... but I was really hoping we were past T/M making inexplicable program changes, going back on them, moving continents, etc. midway through the season. Why can't they just have a quiet season for once? It’s the Olympics, for Pete’s sake!

S

SmallFairy

WE is indeed a gorgeous soundtrack, I love it, but it’s been used a lot in skating now, and I see no reason why T/M would scrap the beautiful program they already had, it was perfect for them and seemed to be working. Makes no sense. Why, oh why???

They stuck with Candyman the entire season through, though it was not well received and wasn’t working, at least not for Vlad’s part.

Now they’re ditching Debussy before they’ve even done test skates :confused:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Update: Trankov says the change was made because Clair de Lune wasn't showing off their speed and power.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Update: Trankov says the change was made because Clair de Lune wasn't showing off their speed and power.

I always felt like they were an afterthought with Mozer, even when they were her #1 team, so I'm liking the fact that they have a team that's trying to improve on things even though it's early. They came out at Cranberry and skated well, now they are changing programs... I liked the old one but the music is very soft and I can see Trankov's point. I like the aggressiveness this season. Just because the old SP was great, doesn't mean this one can't be better, and if it's not they can just switch back so no harm really.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Are they back in Russia for the test skates? NM, I read Trankov's comments. It's Danny G's concept. They are keeping part of the old and DG has modified to the new score. We'll see this weekend. :watch: People may not like his choreography, but you can't deny the results that come out of Sambo-70. They are competing against Mishina/Gal for another national title which is about the best prep they can have for the Olympics. (no idea what Bok/Kol are going to end up doing), but the point is still valid if they come out strong this weekend as well. I don't care what they skate to if they end up with an Olympic medal, preferably gold.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That's ridiculous. The program showed their softness without losing the speed.

karmena

The change of SP for T/M seems to me like Analysis Paralysis.... i would be happy to be wrong.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I always felt like they were an afterthought with Mozer, even when they were her #1 team, so I'm liking the fact that they have a team that's trying to improve on things even though it's early. They came out at Cranberry and skated well, now they are changing programs... I liked the old one but the music is very soft and I can see Trankov's point. I like the aggressiveness this season. Just because the old SP was great, doesn't mean this one can't be better, and if it's not they can just switch back so no harm really.
Trankov was right in 2019 when he made them skate to Rach2. I hope he is right this time. Ultimately though it's going to depend on how they skate. They even won the Euros with their Candyman LP.

RoseRed

It's still early enough to make a change, and it sounds like the new music should suit them. So it's fine. But like a lot of other people, I thought Clair de Lune worked for them. The only change needed was to ditch the costume change. So I don't really get why.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I was sort of shrug about the first sp. I did think it was too quiet for them and could easily get a “boring” label slapped on it once more people saw it as the season went on. Their best received programs tend to have had some intensity to the music which is why I think W./E. is a better choice for them.

Sylvia

TBD
Regarding Nebelhorn Olympic Qualifying
All the players are there for the men, although interesting to see RUS select Aliev, when there are other RUS men that could grab the spot.
Does anyone know (are there any Russian articles?) if the upcoming test skates will determine who gets the Nebelhorn spot or is Aliev the chosen one?
26 Dmitri ALIEV RUS 23 (as of Sept. 1)
Listed subs:
Artur DANIELIAN RUS 23 S
Petr GUMENNIK RUS 23 S
Makar IGNATOV RUS 23 S
Mark KONDRATIUK RUS 23 S
Andrei MOZALEV RUS 23 S
Alexander SAMARIN RUS 23 S

mjb52

Just want to quickly confirm my understanding of how the Nebelhorn thing works. Even if Aliev skates there and his placement earns the spot for Russia, that doesn't actually mean the spot is "his" right? If Russia wants, they can send someone else based on how the season and Nationals goes? (no offense to Aliev, who I love and would be happy to see at the Olympics - just want to make sure I have the facts right).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just want to quickly confirm my understanding of how the Nebelhorn thing works. Even if Aliev skates there and his placement earns the spot for Russia, that doesn't actually mean the spot is "his" right? If Russia wants, they can send someone else based on how the season and Nationals goes? (no offense to Aliev, who I love and would be happy to see at the Olympics - just want to make sure I have the facts right).
Correct. The spot belongs to the country. Same with Zhou, Siao Him Fa, Sadovsky, and Lee - if those 5 skaters finish in the top 7 they have effectively earned their country an additional spot.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Remind me, what was the music they used at Cranberry Cup?
Claire de lune, which has been used by numerous skaters. IMO it fits them very well. We will see if W.E. Fits them better. I think it could,but as LP. Of course I don't want them to change the LP they have, which could be magnificent.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Entries belong to Federations, generally speaking, not athletes. Obviously for some smaller federations the skater that earns the spot will be the entry in the Olympics because that is the only option, but for Russia they will have their usual selection process to determine who goes to the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information