Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsZem

I see the sea
This is kind of funny:
William also spoke about what kind of grandmother Diana would be, admitting she'd be "a nightmare grandmother". "She'd love the children to bits, but she'd be an absolute nightmare," he said. "She'd come and go and she'd come in probably at bath time, cause an amazing amount of scene, bubbles everywhere, bathwater all over the place and then leave."
(source)

puglover

Yes, not only did her own young sons miss out on her love and influence through their growing up years but her grandchildren lost that "love the children to bits" grandmother. I suspect spending time with the Middletons and their cousins on their mother's side is a change of scenery from royal life but I am sure it still hurts William immensely to not share his children with his own mother. The pictures that I see of George, Charlotte and Louis all seem to be chosen and released by their parents - birthdays, first day of school, etc. The few more candid ones are taken during public events when they know their pictures will be taken. I wonder if more invasive shots are taken by the paparazzi and sold in England or if it is hopefully not being done?

Parsley Sage

Yes, not only did her own young sons miss out on her love and influence through their growing up years but her grandchildren lost that "love the children to bits" grandmother. I suspect spending time with the Middletons and their cousins on their mother's side is a change of scenery from royal life but I am sure it still hurts William immensely to not share his children with his own mother. The pictures that I see of George, Charlotte and Louis all seem to be chosen and released by their parents - birthdays, first day of school, etc. The few more candid ones are taken during public events when they know their pictures will be taken. I wonder if more invasive shots are taken by the paparazzi and sold in England or if it is hopefully not being done?
The Royals have an agreement with the press not to publish pictures of the kids taken out and about in the UK. Pictures at polo matches and the equestrian events where we see them running around with their cousins are ok but not on the daily school run and stuff like that.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Agree that all this is unhealthy for Harry, and his family. Yes mental health is something that should be talked about, but differently than this repeated focus on how tough he had it, and Meghan too. I wish they'd use their voices to speak positively - about how they are drawing on their own experiences to help others in tangible ways. William had nearly the same experience Harry had, and yes he talks frankly about it, but as fact not to garner sympathy and "tell his side," and importantly, he seems to be doing something about it, for example his ongoing work on men's mental health issues.

Also agree that they are being used by media and so-called partners in business, and it feels to me like they are in way over their heads. Yes yes Meghan grew up in Hollywood, but this is way beyond her acting career and blog - this is very big business and I don't think either of them has the experience for it. Perhaps too by separating themselves from their families and in Harry's case the structure of his old life, they are left without anyone around them who will provide sound, objective advice and guidance. They seem so lost to me.

And finally, I don't think there has to be a separate thread. They may no longer be royals, but their time as royals is all they talk about, and that necessarily ties into all the other royals we talk about here. Maybe one day if they manage to create their own identities, separate from their pasts and doing interesting things independently, it would make sense to start another thread about them. But that's just my opinion :)

puglover

Here in Canada we just celebrated "Victoria Day". As a child I remember so well the verse: "The 24th of May is the Queen's birthday, If they don't give us a holiday, We'll all run away". I had assumed it was celebrated throughout the British Commonwealth but, apparently not, it is uniquely Canadian. In Manitoba most people refer to it now as "May long", but for me I think of Queen Victoria.

Vagabond

Here in Canada we just celebrated "Victoria Day". As a child I remember so well the verse: "The 24th of May is the Queen's birthday, If they don't give us a holiday, We'll all run away". I had assumed it was celebrated throughout the British Commonwealth but, apparently not, it is uniquely Canadian.
No, it isn't.
Victoria Day (Scottish Gaelic: Latha Victoria) is a public holiday in parts of Eastern Central Scotland, chiefly the cities of Dundee and Edinburgh, although it was formerly more widespread.
It's definitely a big deal in Edinburgh.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Here in Canada we just celebrated "Victoria Day". As a child I remember so well the verse: "The 24th of May is the Queen's birthday, If they don't give us a holiday, We'll all run away". I had assumed it was celebrated throughout the British Commonwealth but, apparently not, it is uniquely Canadian. In Manitoba most people refer to it now as "May long", but for me I think of Queen Victoria.
Most Australian states have a public holiday for the Queen's Birthday (or King's, per current monarch) on the second Monday of June. They left it in June after the death of George V rather than change it with each new monarch, as had been done previously. Hence it's not close to the Queen's actual birthday.

It's always amused me that Britain doesn't have a public holiday for the Queen's birthday, but parts of the Commonwealth do.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Most Australian states have a public holiday for the Queen's Birthday (or King's, per current monarch) on the second Monday of June. They left it in June after the death of George V rather than change it with each new monarch, as had been done previously. Hence it's not close to the Queen's actual birthday.

It's always amused me that Britain doesn't have a public holiday for the Queen's birthday, but parts of the Commonwealth do.
The UK Civil Service still gives a Queens Birthday Privilege Day, which is usually the Friday before the second May Bank Holiday. But in practice most civil servants don't have that day off, it just becomes another day of annual leave that is used at any time of the year.

Jenny

From the Bloc
:lol: Reminds me of the time I had to explain to a colleague who had just become a Canadian citizen why everyone calls it Victoria Day, but May 2-4 Weekend.

puglover

My husband and I operated a free dental clinic in Samoa and our volunteer staff (all young) convinced us that we should be closed for Anzac Day as it was a national holiday. Sure enough we cancelled all appointments only to learn that it had not been a holiday there for decades. There is a holiday in Canada called "Family Day" in some provinces, "Louis Riel Day" here, "Heritage Day" somewhere else and not a day at all in other provinces. This year we had a wet and windy Victoria Day but still an appreciated national holiday.

MsZem

I see the sea
Just curious. Is the Belgian royal family ever mentioned in this thread?
Occasionally :)

Queen Mathilde's mask game is strong:

And check out Princess Elisabeth during military training!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
There was a bunch of red flags in all that. It gives me recollections of Peaches Geldof becoming publicly focused on the untimely death of her mother right before she ended up re-creating it herself.

I mean the stuff about his wife threatening to kill their unborn child and herself but apparently not doing it so Harry wouldn't lose another woman he loved really is jamming the knife into his childhood trauma. Goodness me.

I've been unimpressed by Harry in the past, but now I'm just deeply concerned for his wellbeing. Given the way we now know Diana was manipulated into giving the Bashir interview, I am really beginning to wonder what is going on behind the scenes with Harry and these media corps and the people around him. He's clearly a very fragile person who is in a position where he's doing all of these really divisive interviews, designed to generate as much furore and publicity as possible... I just don't think this is healthy. And for every subsequent interview, the media will want more and more. No doubt Netflix will want their fair share of Harry's flesh too.
He is making a LOT of $$$$. I think he is "fragile" like a Fox.

I also think Meghan is happily driving this train wreck.

Parsley Sage

Kate had tea today with a little girl who was featured in the "Hold Still" book of photographs documenting the past year in the UK. They spoke on the phone a few weeks ago and Kate promised to wear a pink dress when they were able to meet in person.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

canbelto

I also think the pink dress Kate wore today was awesome because:

1) it's not midi-length. I know that's the fashion but I enjoyed te short, asymetrical hem
2) she didn't button the top button!
3) I didn't like the pink but then I cried when I saw the reason she wore the pink

This whole trip to Scotland has been fabulous. I've been following all the outings and they're all awesome.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I'm a fan of W&K, and they have really stepped up their social media game and showing the world more of who they are. No marriage is perfect, but their relationship is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information