Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsZem

I see the sea
William's statement is really good. This can't be an easy thing to deal with, and I think he was smart to point out that the wrongdoing didn't just fail his family, it failed the public.

On a lighter note, the chair of the BBC at the time was Marmaduke Hussey (see here). And his wife is William's godmother! They were not told ahead of time about the program.

starrynight

Really good statement from William. A few things that I thought about it:

- It’s really unusual for William to make a statement like this, so it has a lot of impact.

- The statement was articulate in what he wanted to express and he’d clearly thought through what he wanted to address.

- I though the mention of Diana’s frailty was significant in that it did (albeit indirectly) reflect the burden William carried as her confidant.

- Diana is so heavily deified as a perfect god like character ( people literally speak like she’s the Messiah), so I thought it was quite raw for William to discuss how this impacted everyone as humans.

- The mention of the public being deceived was also astute. A lot of Diana’s supporters would have closely watched the Bashir interview and now likely feel upset and conflicted that it was built on the basis of deceit. And I think that it makes clear that William highlighting the issues arising out of the investigation isn’t the same as telling the whole of the public to get nicked.

I have a fair bit of respect for how William is remaining strong and dignified in what has been a bad year and which is only getting worse given how much his privacy is being intruded upon by another family member being on the media circuit. Particularly in circumstances which are eerily similar to the Bashir situation ... journalists and media giants looking for notoriety and money by extracting royal secrets from vulnerable individuals and causing family turmoil.

Last edited:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/5-things-diana-bashir-interview-24156534 This makes some fair points - the main one being that Diana was negotiating with the BBC to do an interview prior to Bashir becoming involved & would have done it even without the faked documents - that is also clearly stated in the Dyson report, alongside the fact that Diana was happy with the interview at the time of the broadcast.

Vagabond

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/5-things-diana-bashir-interview-24156534 This makes some fair points - the main one being that Diana was negotiating with the BBC to do an interview prior to Bashir becoming involved & would have done it even without the faked documents - that is also clearly stated in the Dyson report, alongside the fact that Diana was happy with the interview at the time of the broadcast.
Would have she allowed the interview to proceed exactly as it did if she had never been shown the forged documents?

Would have been so happy with the interview if Bashir had said to her at the end, "By the way, the bank records were faked. I am the one who betrayed you, not your friends."?

Barbara Manatee

Agreed, I was struck by William's view that the faked records helped push his mother into paranoia and isolation. Terrible for her then and still affecting her children now.

MLIS

I think they think that this is one of the reasons she refused to have security after the divorce, because she was paranoid and thought they were spying on her. If she had had continued police protection, she never would have been allowed to get in that car that night. So sad.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Diana wanting to do an interview is one thing. She may have been happy with the interview.........but her responses were based on fake information.
I would imagine some of her responses would have been different had she had the correct information.

As to "There being 3 in the marriage". It doesn't appear that Charles ever stopped seeing Camilla.

The Mirror
Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles have had an unconventional relationship from the very beginning. Although royal biographers say it was love at first sightwhen they met in the early ‘70s, they went through some pretty big obstacles before they wound up together. Even as Charles married Princess Diana and Camilla married her own boyfriend, Charles and Camilla famously went on to maintain their close friendship throughout their respective marriages. It took nearly 30 years for the two to publicly and officially become a couple.

H

starrynight

Agreed, I was struck by William's view that the faked records helped push his mother into paranoia and isolation. Terrible for her then and still affecting her children now.

Yes and as a 15 year old who Diana would confide in, William would explicitly remember this occurring.

Frankly, it's beyond disturbing to see Harry now hooked up to the milking machine of Apple, Netflix and Spotify. He's clearly extremely fragile and unwell and he's being squeezed like a lemon. And seems to be re-traumatising himself. These big corps will happily look at their bank balances and then cast him aside when all the juice is extracted.

I'm hardly Harry's number 1 fan, but all I feel now is a sense of rising dread and pity at the way he's being milked for information by the media. I just get the impression Harry is playing noughts and crosses in this game, while the media corps are playing 3D chess.

Last edited:

cygnus

Diana wanting to do an interview is one thing. She may have been happy with the interview.........but her responses were based on fake information.
I would imagine some of her responses would have been different had she had the correct information.

As to "There being 3 in the marriage". It doesn't appear that Charles ever stopped seeing Camilla.

The Mirror
The Mirror isn't exactly an accurate source of information. More reliable sources do state that he tried to make the marriage work for the first few years. And, of course Diana isn't exactly forthcoming with the whole truth here- there were 4 in the marriage, as she was seeing Hewitt at the time too.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The Mirror isn't exactly an accurate source of information. More reliable sources do state that he tried to make the marriage work for the first few years. And, of course Diana isn't exactly forthcoming with the whole truth here- there were 4 in the marriage, as she was seeing Hewitt at the time too.
Geesh!

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Yes and as a 15 year old who Diana would confide in, William would explicitly remember this occurring.

Frankly, it's beyond disturbing to see Harry now hooked up to the milking machine of Apple, Netflix and Spotify. He's clearly extremely fragile and unwell and he's being squeezed like a lemon. And seems to be re-traumatising himself. These big corps will happily look at their bank balances and then cast him aside when all the juice is extracted.

I'm hardly Harry's number 1 fan, but all I feel now is a sense of rising dread and pity at the way he's being milked for information by the media. I just get the impression Harry is playing noughts and crosses in this game, while the media corps are playing 3D chess.
I disagree. I think it's healthy & cathartic for him. It's the "stiff upper lip" & hiding his feelings that caused the most damage.

puglover

I wonder how a special on "mental health" is hitting its mark if it has the potential to cause mental health issues for those you are speaking about, especially when you know full way they cannot really defend themselves. The Queen, in her nineties, mourning the loss of her beloved husband, who has given so much of herself in service to her country, is lumped in with Harry's description of causing "genetic pain and suffering" in his family. His grandfather, father, brother and sister-in-law have had their names and reputations attacked. How is it healthy and cathartic for one to make public destructive comments about those closest to him? I feel there is a long way from expressing your feelings and not being silenced to using it to cause damage to others. Especially when the other side cannot be told.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I wonder how a special on "mental health" is hitting its mark if it has the potential of causing mental health issues for those you are speaking about, especially when you know full way they cannot really defend themselves. The Queen, in her nineties, mourning the loss of her beloved husband, who has given so much of herself in service to her country, is lumped in with Harry's description of causing "genetic pain and suffering" in his family. His grandfather, father, brother and sister-in-law have had their names and reputations attacked. How is it healthy and cathartic for one to make public destructive comments about those closest to him? I feel there is a long way from expressing your feelings and not being silenced to using it to cause damage to others. Especially when the other side cannot be told.
I agree, it's one thing to say that you're experiencing mental health issues. Totally another to start blaming everyone around you. It doesn't matter where you come from, it's where you decide to go from this point on. I have a feeling it's his wife controlling him and trying to boost sympathy for them.

starrynight

There was a bunch of red flags in all that. It gives me recollections of Peaches Geldof becoming publicly focused on the untimely death of her mother right before she ended up re-creating it herself.

I mean the stuff about his wife threatening to kill their unborn child and herself but apparently not doing it so Harry wouldn't lose another woman he loved really is jamming the knife into his childhood trauma. Goodness me.

I've been unimpressed by Harry in the past, but now I'm just deeply concerned for his wellbeing. Given the way we now know Diana was manipulated into giving the Bashir interview, I am really beginning to wonder what is going on behind the scenes with Harry and these media corps and the people around him. He's clearly a very fragile person who is in a position where he's doing all of these really divisive interviews, designed to generate as much furore and publicity as possible... I just don't think this is healthy. And for every subsequent interview, the media will want more and more. No doubt Netflix will want their fair share of Harry's flesh too.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Has the Meghan and Harry thread been locked again?

Of course Princess Eugenie posted about her sister's pregnancy announcement :)

Meanwhile William is in Scotland:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
No idea. Somehow the Diana/Bashir interview outcome and the immediate proximity and similarities of the Harry interview collided in here. Anyway, I agree that it's good to keep that separate (it's depressing for one thing).
I left that thread because it was insane! Why did it get locked again?

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I wonder how a special on "mental health" is hitting its mark if it has the potential to cause mental health issues for those you are speaking about, especially when you know full way they cannot really defend themselves. The Queen, in her nineties, mourning the loss of her beloved husband, who has given so much of herself in service to her country, is lumped in with Harry's description of causing "genetic pain and suffering" in his family. His grandfather, father, brother and sister-in-law have had their names and reputations attacked. How is it healthy and cathartic for one to make public destructive comments about those closest to him? I feel there is a long way from expressing your feelings and not being silenced to using it to cause damage to others. Especially when the other side cannot be told.
So the fact that my father is deceased means that I should never mention that he used to beat the crap out of me? My childhood trauma affected me way into adulthood - my father used to do things that showed how much he loved me & then would whip me with an electric cord. It was very confusing. It wasn't until I posted here about it that I really came to terms about it. I really think Harry's criticism is relatively mild. I'll bet he could relate some much more damaging anecdotes.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
And neither the Queen's service to the country nor her mourning nor her late husband's is relevant to their family relationships and the impact their behavior had on their children and grandchildren.

MsZem

I see the sea
And neither the Queen's service to the country nor her mourning nor her late husband's is relevant to their family relationships and the impact their behavior had on their children and grandchildren.
It's not. But the timing of all this given QE's circumstances is relevant, and I fail to see how these interviews are helping anyone, except perhaps their impact on some people's $$$.

Now, can the discussion of Prince Harry please go in the Prince Harry thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information