Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

concorde

I'm not a fly on the wall at practices, but is seems to me like Valieva's triple axel and quad toe consistency improved with Rippon technique. She seemed to have trouble going completely off axis without lifting her arms, so maybe this helps her stay more upright. I haven't watched Gulyakova enough to know if that is her problem, though, or how many other skaters get out of position in the air with regular technique.
I know of a gymnist turn skater who was having lots of problems landing jumps. When she tried the Rippon, problem solved!

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Gold is gone for Trusova, but bronze is still in reach if she lands all her quads, and she'll need help at least two of the top three to make mitakes in the FS. She might have a Nathan Chen moment FS, just not enough

Bigbird

wow - no combo for Trusova
Too nervous. If Kostornaia gets herself together she actually could make the team. If Trusova cannot manage her nerves here when will she? She couldn't do it at Eteri...so there would be no point going back. Maybe her parents need to review the decision of having her work only with Plushenko, maybe she needs to work more exclusively with Rozanov, Dmitri M. and even EI. It seems their work with Sophia M, is paying off? Plushenko tends to attract too much hype and attention to himself. Could that be throwing her off? Zhilina also just phenomenally crashed a few weeks ago. Just ranting out loud.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I have the impression that Trusova is a "minus start" skater. She shines in practice and outjumps everyone there only to suck in competition. She needs to get a better control of her nerves.

I am all in for a medal for Tuk.

Loved Shcherbakova today. Even D. Weiss agreed with me and described her as "a fairy flying out there" which is pretty fitting, I think.

If I could choose an Olympic team right now, I'd take Tuk, Shcherbakova and Valieva.

Last edited:

Rina RUS

I have the impression that Trusova is a "plus start" skater. She shines in practice and outjumps everyone there only to suck in competition. She needs to get a better control of her nerves.
"Plus start" are those who are good in competitions (sometimes they can be better than in practice).
“Minus start” are those who can be good when they practice, but when a competiton starts, they fail to be so good.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
"Plus start" are those who are good in competitions (sometimes they can be better than in practice).
“Minus start” are those who can be good when they practice, but when a competiton starts, they fail to be so good.
You're right, I must've turned off my brains for a second and mixed them both up.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have not seen anything yet,including pbp. I am in a class till evening. I did look up the standings. Did Sasha go for the 3Aand fell? Hiw on earth did she land in 12th place? She has to go for five quads in the LP.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I have not seen anything yet,including pbp. I am in a class till evening. I did look up the standings. Did Sasha go for the 3Aand fell? Hiw on earth did she land in 12th place? She has to go for five quads in the LP.
2A, she botched her combo and got an edge call on her 3F. She's lucky to be in 12th.

Lilia A

Saying that skater X has worked hard and deserves to win doesn't mean skater Y hasn't and doesn't deserve to win. They've both worked hard and they both deserve to win if they deliver, but only one can win.
It's fair to say that all skaters at the elite level have worked very hard and I'll happy for whoever wins. Let the best performance (when it counts) win. Good luck to all.

Marco

I don't enjoy the skating, but I can't help but root for Liza. She worked so hard and persevered. That was one gorgeous 3axel.

Sasha's mistake was unfortunate, but fortunately she held on to the penultimate group (at Satoko's expense 😪). Her scores in the FS would get absolutely buried if she skated in the 3rd group, before ice resurfacing.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Trusova was the queen of Monday & Tuesday practices, with those solid 3 axels. How she didn’t put it into the SP - didn’t even try - is a puzzlement. She must have nerves issues. Oh well, Scherbakova and Tuk were fantastic.

By the way, where is Tinami Amori? Missing her insights!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Not particularly a Tuk fan. But she is breathtakingly gorgeous. Her costume was fab. She delivered. She could sure use some more choreography in the program.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Trusova was the queen of Monday & Tuesday practices, with those solid 3 axels. How she didn’t put it into the SP - didn’t even try - is a puzzlement. She must have nerves issues. Oh well, Scherbakova and Tuk were fantastic.
It's not the first time this happens, Trusova often leaves it all on the practice ice, minus-start skater, I think.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It's not the first time this happens, Trusova often leaves it all on the practice ice, minus-start skater, I think.
Sad but true. I hope that her parents don’t use this an excuse to take her out of the Pluschenko camp. The young lady needs stability. “Her” Olympics is next year...if she makes the team.

starrynight

It's not surprising to me that skaters suffer more nerves as they progress through seniors. The gravity of the situation and sense of fear and doubt increases with age.

Trusova has a lot of skating ahead of her. She's also very athletic and strong, so she's not the kind of lady skater that is relying on a child body - so I think she will stick around. This competition is just a step along the way.

Cherub721

YEAH!

By the way, where is Tinami Amori? Missing her insights!

She said in an interview that she was having trouble with it in morning practice and took it out. I was ok with that but the combo mistake was a disaster. Part of me wonders if she lost concentration thinking whether to do a loop or toeloop as the second jump.

Also wondering about @Tinami Amori !

love_skate2011

Banned Member
It's not surprising to me that skaters suffer more nerves as they progress through seniors. The gravity of the situation and sense of fear and doubt increases with age.

Trusova has a lot of skating ahead of her. She's also very athletic and strong, so she's not the kind of lady skater that is relying on a child body - so I think she will stick around. This competition is just a step along the way.
amongst all the current russian ladies, Trusova will likely have a long career, maybe it will be rough and patchy like Tuktamsyehva
Trusova is gritty and even with mistakes shes not afraid to take risks, it will be good in long term as she will have multiple peaks in her career even in her 20s+ ala Tuk and Slutskaya

becca

I think it’s Trusova’s first worlds and it’s a lot to go into your first worlds expected to win. Some skaters do win right away some take time to get use to it.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
But Anna is also here at her first Worlds and I'd say the expectations on her to win are even higher than those Trusova had coming in.
ITA. I'm a huge fan of Trusova, but she still lets nerves impact her competition. She can do the jumps better than Anna or Kamilla. She just gets ahead of herself when it's for real. Anna, OTOH, seems to go into her zen mode when it's competition time. She can fall all over practice ice, but when it's time to compete, she is absolutely focused. I've never seen that so well developed in one so young apart from Kwan. I don't know that you can teach that. It just happens.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
ITA. I'm a huge fan of Trusova, but she still lets nerves impact her competition. She can do the jumps better than Anna or Kamilla. She just gets ahead of herself when it's for real. Anna, OTOH, seems to go into her zen mode when it's competition time. She can fall all over practice ice, but when it's time to compete, she is absolutely focused. I've never seen that so well developed in one so young apart from Kwan. I don't know that you can teach that. It just happens.
Agreed. I wish I liked Anna's skating more because her zen competition mode is something that usually draws me to skaters and turns me into an uber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information