From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

happycamper2554

The program is such a miss-fit for them, they don't have the attitude to sell that kind of dance. The token fast part was embarrassing and the slow part was dull. But maybe it's injuries but it just doesn't sit on them well, IMHO. Oh well.
I disagree. I thought they had fun with the fast part. I agree they stuck with Smile for too long so it got boring. It also seems a little unfinished. It wouldn't be surprising with the injuries that they have had that the program isn't what they want it to be yet.

Bigbird

I disagree. I thought they had fun with the fast part. I agree they stuck with Smile for too long so it got boring. It also seems a little unfinished. It wouldn't be surprising with the injuries that they have had that the program isn't what they want it to be yet.
But you make my point, why give them marks for a programs potential, isn't it to be marked for the actual performance? Slap me, I forgot this is ice dance and Russian ice dance no less. With the exception of few elements we've seen this dance before just to different music. I kept on waiting to be impressed, it lacks the flair that a dance like this should have. Meh...

Natanielle825

It wouldn't be surprising with the injuries that they have had that the program isn't what they want it to be yet.
Being injured or not wouldn't affect whether the music is horrible, which imo it is.

Panfilova and Rylov have the most beautiful twist in the world, enhanced by the skirt of her dress, and the throws are very good as well. Boikova and Kozlovskii were excellent, I'm tired of this program but that's not their fault, also he's got a major flexed foot problem. Too bad for Mishina and Galliamov, I Really like their choreography and performance quality for both programs this year, but was that a mistake on the reverse lasso lift?

Bigbird

Being injured or not wouldn't affect whether the music is horrible, which imo it is.

Panfilova and Rylov have the most beautiful twist in the world, enhanced by the skirt of her dress, and the throws are very good as well. Boikova and Kozlovskii were excellent, I'm tired of this program but that's not their fault, also he's got a major flexed foot problem. Too bad for Mishina and Galliamov, I Really like their choreography and performance quality for both programs this year, but was that a mistake on the reverse lasso lift?
The real deal hopefully is the ladies. All these trifles are just that, trifles.

C

casken

With the exception of few elements we've seen this dance before just to different music.

Aka, ice dancing for over the past decade under IJS, unfortunately.

But yes, between the SA and CoR, ice dancing this season is off to a particularly dreadful start. :slinkaway

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
That program is a disaster from start to finish.
Michael Jackson medley with no actual song from him. Makes sense right?
The Smile portion is so bad it makes me cry :( and the Come together is dreadfull. Why did they even think that rotationnal lift would work for them???
And the judges were pretty lenient with them, because no way they should have got a Lev 3 on OfStL3+OfStM3. At Best a 1 for him. But hey. Everyone got +10 from previous scores, not them.

Last edited:

NadezhdaNadya

Banned Member
Well call me a monkey's uncle. Tuk heard us talking about her and decided to skate her very best. Probably encouraged by Trusova's meltdown and a real shot at winning. What a shock still, I thought Kostornaia had it.
Yes. I think Kostornaya was underscored. Tuktamysheva should have won. Yes. But with a smaller margin - with 0.5-1.5 points.

Sonata

A fan of both Tuk and Kostornaia. Happy for Tuk, what a win five years after winning her world championship. However, very impressed by Kostornaia’s skating, she commands the ice. Great skating skills. Even when she made her entrance, she had the look of a champion.

Natanielle825

Yes. I think Kostornaya was underscored. Tuktamysheva should have won. Yes. But with a smaller margin - with 0.5-1.5 points.
I haven't looked at the GOEs but it seems Tuk had 9 more technical point from the 3As and Kostornaia's URs on the combos. Kostornaia had 2 more PCS points, Tuk was scored very high for performance, choreography and interpretation. I'm not arguing but how would you have scored them differently?

Last edited:

Bigbird

Kostornaia will pull it together. I am concerned about Trusova, she came out like with maybe too much energy and everything just went poof! Sad.

OTOH, whoever choreographed that Jackson number should hide. It would have been better if Zhulin simply took N/K's music from the beginning of time and gave it to them. It goes nowhere and that rotational lift, even the correct one is ugly. I think Katsalapov is really badly injured, that dance has even less content than they usually have.

NAOTMAA

It REALLY sucks for Liza we likely won't have a world's this year. With Aleksandra, Alena and Anna currently as they are and Kamila still being too young this would have been the best opportunity to sneak in and make one last run for another world title. Ice is always slippery but this year would have been far easier to achieve it

Perky Shae Lynn

How tall is Boikova these days? She looks at least an inch taller than a few months ago.
Wasn't she going to the hospital for treatment on her back? That's probably where she would have come in contact with it
Hospital, PT appointments, etc. She obviously hasn't been at the rink and the skaters / coaches haven't been in contact with her.

mjb52

I don't think it reflects very well on Gabby and Guillaume that their fans are so obsessively negative toward Vika and Nikita. This is the program's first outing after health issues for both of them; it will gain strength as they perform it. As for P/C I miss them and feel badly that they've had to deal with the disappointment of cancelled competitions and hope to see them skating well at Worlds. Miss Stepanova and Bukin too.

Perky Shae Lynn

How tall is Boikova now? It looks like she grew another inch in the last few months. They are doing fine, but I think she's still growing - and it's messing up B/K throw & twist timing. Height looks so gorgeous on pairs skaters, but man, it's a tall hill to climb (pardon my terrible pun).

Perky Shae Lynn

I don't think it reflects very well on Gabby and Guillaume that their fans are so obsessively negative toward Vika and Nikita. This is the program's first outing after health issues for both of them; it will gain strength as they perform it. As far P/C I miss them and feel badly that they've had to deal with the disappointment of cancelled competitions and hope to see them skating well at Worlds. Miss Stepanova and Bukin too.
OMG. Do you really think that S/K are a threat enough to Gabby & Guillaume to incite a war? People are just commenting on what they see. I personally thought the program was terrible, and the skating sub-par. Not an uber of any dance team at the moment.

mjb52

OMG. Do you really think that S/K are a threat enough to Gabby & Guillaume to incite a war?

Given that the two posters I'm talking about have done nothing but bitch constantly about S/K for the last two years no matter what they do... yes. If you don't like it fine, my comments weren't directed at you

NAOTMAA

How tall is Boikova now? It looks like she grew another inch in the last few months. They are doing fine, but I think she's still growing - and it's messing up B/K throw & twist timing. Height looks so gorgeous on pairs skaters, but man, it's a tall hill to climb (pardon my terrible pun).
I don't know but they still look like they haven't fully recovered from the loss of training time when Dmitri got ill. A big difference from the test skates

Part of me really thinks it was a mistake to rush back and do the last Russian Cup event and then do Rostelecom a week later all so quickly. They haven't had the chance to breathe and gather themselves.

Either way I'm thrilled they were able to redeem themselves in the long. It will hopefully do wonders for their confidence and with everything that has happened recently they need it. But I know they're fighters so they won't go down easily!

Bigbird

Given that the two posters I'm talking about have done nothing but bitch constantly about S/K for the last two years no matter what they do... yes. If you don't like it fine, my comments weren't directed at you
But come on that program is terrible.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

They say Trusova hurt herself after the 3A fall in the SP and her team let her go for 4 quads in the free. :mad::soapbox::angryfire
Do you really think that ANY coach can stop Trusova from jumping when and how she wants? I am sure Trusova complained to Pluschenko about Tutberidze/Dudakov trying to control her jumping, and Pluschenko is going to do just the opposite. He also knows that Trusova's father does not like his daughter limited on jumps, and that father has a very loud mouth.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information