From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm their age and I listen to punk rock and love Tiff's red hair.

There's a reason so many rock classics from my HS and college years are now considered safe music for figure skating. :D
In ice dance the skaters use still the same ‘safe’ music (very much conservative in their selection). Even the dresses most of them use are very conservative. The fact that you use punk rock has nothing to do with it. The skaters may listen to punk rock too, but that’s not the music they choose for ice dance.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
In ice dance the skaters use still the same ‘safe’ music (very much conservative in their selection). Even the dresses most of them use are very conservative. The fact that you use punk rock has nothing to do with it. The skaters may listen to punk rock too, but that’s not the music they choose for ice dance.
No, they use AC/DC and Metallica. Because, you know, those judges are so conservative.

I'm also a bit :lol: at the idea that ice dancers dress conservatively.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I loved Jana Khokhlova and I love Tiffany with red hair! :swoon: I don’t see the issue with them having a similar look. They didn’t even compete at the same time.
I have struggled sometimes to tell Sinitsina and Stepanova apart. To me that is more of an issue! :slinkaway

hanca

Values her privacy
No, they use AC/DC and Metallica. Because, you know, those judges are so conservative.

I'm also a bit :lol: at the idea that ice dancers dress conservatively.
Well, it is not that long ago that music with words was not allowed. There are still quite limiting rules regarding costumes. Until quite recently, ladies had to wear skirts, even if it was just a little napkin that was attached to unitard... There is still a rule about how much flesh coloured material is allowed... if that is not conservative....

Dobre

A major reason there are limiting rules in costumes is because ice dancers insist on pushing boundaries;). Dance has had lyrics since the fall of 1997. So it has been 23 years. Gasp!

Hair dye and/or changing hairstyles is just pretty much ice dance, LOL. I would guess that 90% of the experienced dancers on the judging panels have dyed their hair.

Bellanca

Well, it is not that long ago that music with words was not allowed. There are still quite limiting rules regarding costumes. Until quite recently, ladies had to wear skirts, even if it was just a little napkin that was attached to unitard.. There is still a rule about how much flesh coloured material is allowed... if that is not conservative....
:lol: Yeah, that's about right.

Most of the time, tbh, the flesh-colored material looks pretty lousy. Not very natural looking, at all.

ETA: as far as coloring hair is concerned, it can be very effective regarding the overall look and feel of a program, which is a big deal. 🙂

Last edited:

starrynight

I remember they penalised Sinead Kerr at British Nationals one year for overly theatrical makeup for her Enigma free dance.

And that 50/50 flesh rule came in due to some seriously revealing dance costumes. Probably rightly they deemed it not in keeping with an athletic sports endeavour.

As for pushing the boundaries with pop music ... well I think that's what exhibitions are for. Very few skaters really have the performance levels to do pop routines full justice. And pop music dates really badly and often isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I remember all that fuss about the Russian girls fighting over Ariana Grande songs and things about Billie Elish or whatever and honestly I don't get what the fuss is. Maybe because I'm older than 18 I don't get what is cool now. :lol:

starrynight

I think it was this costume that proved one step too far for the judges
Jana Khokhlova - firebird

Well there's an awful lot of fabric on those costumes ... just not on any of the important bits of Khokhlova. :lol:

Gosh when old costumes like those get dragged up, I'm so thankful for the trend that started (I think podium wise with Davis/White and Virtue/Moir) of wearing costumes that reflected street fashions.

Although things did get too plain by the time 2018 came around: Olympic podium pic

hanca

Values her privacy
Well there's an awful lot of fabric on those costumes ... just not on any of the important bits of Khokhlova. :lol:
And people here are saying that ice dance isn’t conservative? It is! It is not as if Khokhlova’s private bits are hanging out of the costume for everyone to see. Ok, she dared to have costume that have skin colour, but everything that she should be hidden remained covered.

starrynight

I think if ice dance wants to be taken seriously as an athletic sport worthy of the Olympics it needs to stay away from those ridiculous theatrical costumes. Some of them looked like home made halloween costumes.

Those costumes belong in the gala.

And I also like that there is a rule about coverage because it means that some skaters can't be forced into revealing costumes by coaches who want to please judges. The skaters that do like the showy costumes can wear them in the gala. I loved Tuktamysheva's Britney exhibition or even Joannie Rochette's stunning nude jumpsuit- that's what the gala is for.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I think if ice dance wants to be taken seriously as an athletic sport worthy of the Olympics it needs to stay away from those ridiculous theatrical costumes. Some of them looked like home made halloween costumes.

Those costumes belong in the gala.

And I also like that there is a rule about coverage because it means that some skaters can't be forced into revealing costumes by coaches who want to please judges. The skaters that do like the showy costumes can wear them in the gala. I loved Tuktamysheva's Britney exhibition or even Joannie Rochette's stunning nude jumpsuit- that's what the gala is for.
That’s exactly what people were saying about words in music - it belongs to gala. Now we have music with words and it works fine. I think even the rules in costumes will relax in time, but it just confirms what I have been saying above - the judges and the overall rules are quite conservative. That’s why I wouldn’t have red hair if I wanted to be marked well. (Not at least until I became world champion, then I could wear whatever hair I want to).

barbarafan

Gosh when old costumes like those get dragged up, I'm so thankful for the trend that started (I think podium wise with Davis/White and Virtue/Moir) of wearing costumes that reflected street fashions.

Although things did get too plain by the time 2018 came around: Olympic podium pic
They were letting their skating speak instead of the costumes. Tessa had a beautiful birdlike costume for one of their programs and I loved the whole effect but her coach plus cdn officials told her that markwise they would penalized so they switched to plain boring black. I really felt it was a mistake. Marina official reasoning..." Let your skating speak for itself"

starrynight

They were letting their skating speak instead of the costumes. Tessa had a beautiful birdlike costume for one of their programs and I loved the whole effect but her coach plus cdn officials told her that markwise they would penalized so they switched to plain boring black. I really felt it was a mistake. Marina official reasoning..." Let your skating speak for itself"

What program was this? Great Gig in the Sky? I know they switched to all black, but I thought it was a good way of showing the lines of that program without it being swamped by colours or a dress.

barbarafan

What program was this? Great Gig in the Sky? I know they switched to all black, but I thought it was a good way of showing the lines of that program without it being swamped by colours or a dress.
The great gig in the sky - Pink Floyd...It shows a pic. of the costume which they say is 4 continents 2009. They did the Goose lift during it and it really looked great.

barbarafan

Desperado

I think Marina was right. The bird costume looked overwhelming to me, it’s all I could look at. In black, I saw them both.

It could also be because I can’t stand illusion fabric.

Bigbird

this vid is better.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpNoYBC2LKo
sorry for the off topic
Oh how I miss them. Special team in spite of the slight bobbles. Who will be the trend setters and inspirers when our current top 5 retire? Are we seeing any up and comers across the international divide? Sigh.

Dobre

I think if ice dance wants to be taken seriously as an athletic sport worthy of the Olympics it needs to stay away from those ridiculous theatrical costumes.

(n)Oh, come on. Who needs their sport to be boring? I think clearly there is a portion of the athletic audience that reserves our fandom for people who are committed enough to reflecting a character that they are willing to shave, feather, and dye their way into it. Plus, what would we do without battles of fluorescent dresses?! (Fusar-Poli vs. Anissina at Worlds 2001) And the pearls versus the sequins (Weaver vs. Cappellini at Worlds 2016). Really the world owes so much to these landmark athletic head-to-heads! Speaking of which, what would the sporting world be without a decade of Anna Cappellini? A much sadder, less perfectly flouncy place. And Benjamin Agosto. Talk about a young man dedicated to his art!

Japanfan

I don't have an issue with ice dance costumes - if fact, I think they enhance the sport.

One thing I do have an issue with is suspenders. I feel like gagging every time a male skater starts his program by giving himself a little slap with his suspenders.

I don't really like the double tie thingy that is on some male skaters' costumes.

starrynight

I don't have an issue with ice dance costumes - if fact, I think they enhance the sport.

I agree good costumes do.

Modern skating costumes are for the most part very elegant. And great costumes are pretty timeless.

But ice dance went through a scary phase in the early 2000s. The sport is far too athletic now for those costumes, though. They couldn’t withstand the demands of modern twizzles and lifts. Someone would either get tangled or choked lol.

For example:
I’ll leave this photo for comparison:http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/pictures/manuela/fmtango.jpg Fusar-Poli/Margaglio look like a totally different team and 1000x sexier.

It’s just interesting that ice dance was going crazy right at the time that ladies like Michelle Kwan etc were wearing very simple dresses.

Beautiful dress btw - would look just as beautiful on the ice 20 years later.

Last edited:

barbarafan

In all honesty the only cringing I have ever done with figure skating costumes is (and I don't know if they were made by ppl inexperienced figure skating dress makers or wrong material)when the ladies leave their butt cheeks hanging out there and wedgies galore. There seems to be a special method to fix the prob. but a lot of skater's costume makers obviously don't know the secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information