Battle of the Blades is returning to CBC this Fall!

Sonata

BoB is a CBC show, so it will always have mostly Canadian content as a requirement for funding.

I personally love watching Gordeeva and I think she raises the show's skating caliber. I think she's figure skating royalty and I enjoy watching new "competitive" programs by her and watching her interact with other figure skaters from the 90s. I don't really enjoy a few of the other non-Canadian skaters who I won't name. But I figure they have trouble finding pairs/ice dancers who will commit to filming this show. Even among the Canadian skaters, it's not easy to travel weekly to Toronto.

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
All of this Canadian vs. Non, quality of skater business is all immaterial. Gordeeva is a massive name and ratings draw (yes, still), so CBC would be stupid not to invite her.

See also the shitty Jamie Sale BOTB years. :p

Sonata

All of this Canadian vs. Non, quality of skater business is all immaterial. Gordeeva is a massive name and ratings draw (yes, still), so CBC would be stupid not to invite her.

See also the shitty Jamie Sale BOTB years. :p

Yup, I will watch Gordeeva. Others, I will skip, and it’s not based on nationality.
The person I most wish would return and take the crown is Shae-Lynn Bourne!

skatingguy

decently
As if an all Canadian cast would be soooo awful. Why not have Russian ladies compete at our Nationals?

I LOVE JAMIE SALE.
Since it's a TV show, and not a Skate Canada event, why don't get the best skaters with the highest profiles so that not is the show really entertaining, with great quality skating, but maybe it can be sold internationally because we know that budgets at the CBC are always tight and show are cancelled all the time because of lack of funds.

manhn

CBC has a mandate to cast Canadian on tv shows. We have had good success with those shows doing well internationally, Kim’s Convenience, Schitt’s Creek. I don’t understand why we need non Canadian skaters, as if the actual Canadians are a bunch of crappy skaters.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
CBC has a mandate to cast Canadian on tv shows. We have had good success with those shows doing well internationally, Kim’s Convenience, Schitt’s Creek. I don’t understand why we need non Canadian skaters, as if the actual Canadians are a bunch of crappy skaters.

Exactly, we have a lot of amazing skaters. Why the need to bring in international skaters for local charities?

skategal

Bunny mama
I love Gordeeva.

She makes every hockey player she works with so much better you almost believe that they are real figure skaters too.

One of the highlights of this series for me was Gordeeva and Val Bure skating together. :swoon:

I especially loved the finale when they smashed the trophy by accident. :rofl:

I hope she's invited back this season.

Anemone

Given that CBC have Dylan Moscovitch and Asher Hill on That Figure Skating Show, I wonder if they will consider casting either of them on BOTB in order to cross-promote? Whether as skaters or as judges? They certainly used actors/cast members from other CBC shows in the audience often enough this past season for cross-promotional purposes.

Perky Shae Lynn

OMG this Canadian will watch Gordeeva skate to anything and with anyone. Her skating is awe-inspiring. Is she still with David? That might impact things.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
BoB is a CBC show, so it will always have mostly Canadian content as a requirement for funding.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. CBC's mandate is that most of its content "should" be Canadian, but AFAIK the funding it receives from the federal government is not tied to having a certain percentage of Canadian content in its programming.

starrynight

Whoever they include regarding the male figure skaters will need to be tall and strong enough to lift a hockey player.

Those girls are usually fairly tall and very strong (designed for contact sport) - not the little waifs designed for figure skating. Take Andrew Poje - he lifted Natalie Spooner who was 178cm and 80kg. She'd almost be double size of the girls the male skaters are used to lifting.

Poje is about 191cm and built like an ox, Radford 188cm.

Moscovitch is a bit shorter at 177cm but he is so strong that I've seen him lift other pairs guys up over his head. He's also got a lot of bulk about him.

Some of the other ice dance guys are quite short and slender and would probably run the risk of being smaller than the female hockey player.

While I know the ice dance guys do lifts - it's a bit of a different story lifting a 156cm ice dance lady in an dance lift.

Someone like Asher Hill is 175cm - his previous partners were tiny (156cm and 160cm respectively) - I don't know if he'd be large enough to partner a hockey player?

Andora

Yup, I will watch Gordeeva. Others, I will skip, and it’s not based on nationality.

Big ol' word to that.

As if an all Canadian cast would be soooo awful. Why not have Russian ladies compete at our Nationals?

I LOVE JAMIE SALE.

I guess no one has great taste all the time, mahn. :p

I really enjoyed her as a competitive skater, but BOTB really illustrated how limited she is as a performer, skater, etc. A lot of skaters recycle moves, themes, etc., for BOTB, but I recall she and one of her partners pretty much re-did a previous pro program of hers, so I'm happy to add intellectually lazy to that list. And she was a shit judge, to boot.

I think your point about CBC's mandate to cast Canadians, and the number of non-Canadian skaters we see on BOTB, tells a tale of skater availability & interest. BOTB was lucky to get some big names early on (Isabelle Brasseur, Barb Underhill) but they haven't exactly remained with the show. And when I say availability, I include CBC's increasingly dwindling paycheck for participants.

So to your second point: no, of course Canadians aren't a bunch of crappy skaters, but there aren't enough quality Canadian skaters available and willing to do the show. So CBC gifts us with super engaging performers like Jodeyne Higgins, Anabelle Langlois & an out of shape Jessica Dube. But even meh skaters don't return as their lives move on when BOTB goes on hiatus for years with no guaranteed return.

Looking at the list of international skaters BOTB has hosted, I'd choose almost all of these women over a return of some pretty boring Canadian pairs ladies. Maybe even Kyoko Ina, who wasn't known to be a "performer", and who had a partner that... wasn't a natural.

I'd see your point more if CBC hired US skaters of a more Caydee Denney, Rena Inoue, Marissa Castelli level. Definitely our boring skaters should take precedence over boring international skaters. ;)

I guess it adds 'diversity', especially with big names like Gordeeva.

Though I'd be fine with an all Canadian cast.

White Russian or American skaters = diversity? Jesus, take the wheel.

Kyoko Ina, Amanda Evora and Vanessa James are diversity.

Skaters like Gordeeva, Belbin and Berezhnaya are ratings draws-- Elena was competing against David Pelletier, so CBC had an intriguing angle right off the hop.

Whoever they include regarding the male figure skaters will need to be tall and strong enough to lift a hockey player.

Very true about Dylan & Asher's respective sizes, but I'd love Asher to be included after being so vocal (and brave) speaking up against Skate Canada. Amanda Kessell was dwarfed by Eric Radford, and he's more lithe than bulging. So, here's hoping there's another petite-ish hockey player for him! (Speaking of Amanda Kessell, she was the most famous hockey player last season, imho, so about that "Canadians only" brouhaha)

I'll also point out David Pelletier is 5'10" and he skated wonderfully with Tessa Bonhomme at 5'7". I'm pretty sure David or Tessa even mentioned her 140 pound weight during their season (in passing). The women hockey players aren't showing up to BOTB overweight and out of shape the way too many retired NHLers do. When Tessa, Amanda & Natalie are being lifted, they're strong & athletic enough to do their part.

barbarafan

love Shae-Lynn as well. Would also like Lubov to be invited as she has now lost another partner timing might be right. She is quarantining in Toronto with her BF so is close. The cast might have been chosen long ago so might not be relevant.

manhn

Degrassi is a bunch of Ontario actors. Yes, that is more diverse than some random CW teen show.

Lemonade20

I hope Asher will be invited to the show as a judge. We need more variety, and agreed, it’s not easy getting stars to commit to coming out (or staying there) for several weeks. I’m hoping they chose one location to do all the shows at instead of moving around like last year.

I missed out on all the hating-on-Jamie-Sale. What’s the deal? Is it more to do with her personal life?

Perky Shae Lynn

I hope Asher will be invited to the show as a judge. We need more variety, and agreed, it’s not easy getting stars to commit to coming out (or staying there) for several weeks. I’m hoping they chose one location to do all the shows at instead of moving around like last year.

I missed out on all the hating-on-Jamie-Sale. What’s the deal? Is it more to do with her personal life?
Just think Lea Michele....

Japanfan

IIRC, she was perceived to be whiny. TBH I never quite understood it myself.

To a large extent, it came out after the 2002 Pairs scandal. As I saw it, there were a some here who felt B&S were the rightful winners, and resented S&P for being awarded a second gold. I think Jamie did not come off well in the eyes of some with her post-comp interviews. The argument about the competition between the two pairs and the decision raged on this board for days. I think I checked out of the planet for a bit.

Last edited:

trouble77

Banned Member
I would have still give gold to B&S because to me S&P skated an easy probram.

About having non-Canadian on BOTB, and especially Gordeeva. She is like a passepartout that brings skills, class and elegance to every show she is invited. She was also the first woman to land a throw jump in the competition. Let alone the fact that she is beautifully reckless once she trust her partner. Before she accidentally smashed the trophy, she performed this incredibile double throw jump...and landed it. In all honesty another pair would have probably performed something easier than risking falling on their butts once they have been crowned the winner.

Last edited:

mackiecat

why don’t people like Sale?
lets see, David was married prior to dating Jamie
Both Jamie and Craig Simpson we’re married prior to the two of them together.

yes it takes two to Tango but.....

Andora

Eh, much as her romantic history is rife with gossip & such, but I think it's more S&P's show years being mostly uninspired, her lack of range becoming evident on BOTB.... The show generally soured me on her with so many interviews, etc. And then there's that time in 2010, when she decided to go off about Johnny Weir being a "bad representative of men's skating," among other things. The best reference I can find in 10 minutes is here, albeit the video is gone. I remember seeing it at the time, however, when she opened with "everyone has an opinion..." Saying figure skating had "taken enough hits", and targeting Weir's flower crown moment, etc. As a biased good Canadian preferring Jeff/Patrick, :)P) I wasn't a fan of Johnny's until she gave me a good reason to be one. And also confirm a her generally ignorant attitude for a lot of people.

She's been married to Craig for some time. Catty as I can be, her distant romantic past isn't good enough reason to completely dislike someone I don't know.

It will be interesting to see what kind of cast options BOTB has with the pandemic throwing a couple athletic seasons off. That is to say I hope I recognize some more of the hockey players this year. :p

Lemonade20

So true, I’m very curious to see how they will handle BOTB this season. Audiences? Making the skaters stay for the full 6-8 weeks? Who would be willing to do that?

I think it would be fun to do a twist and showcase solo programs

Last edited:

Desperado

I hope Elladj Baldé comes back in whichever role he chooses, but gets to spend more time in front of the camera. I also want less Ron MacLean. He’s given enough.

And yes from me on Gordeeva.

Winnipeg

I do not get why anyone would dislike Sale.............based on skating and television personality (ie. I do not know her personally).

Gordeev would be great.

Dube would be great too. Have not heard of her in a long time.

HOw about Kurt and Alyssa

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information