From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka3sha

Zhulin is one of the athltes/coaches with whom I usually disagree on great many things (especially on non-skating related topics), but still enjoy reading/listening to his interviews because he doesn't impose his opinions, and his perspective could be interesting at times. Also he usually brings some :watch: details from the past.

Very revealing interview with respect to the power balance within the couple and the general attitude towards women in the Zhulin Katsalapov team.
I don't know about their relationship outside of the rink, but while I don't agree with Zhulin's wording here, technically I agree with him. Hadn't the whole FSU and all figure skating fans across the world said that it's Victoria who has to improve her skating, to catch up with Nikita and etc for 5 years? It's only natural that Victoria and Nikita had different techniques since they started skating under different coaches, with different partners and teamed up when both were adults with already formed basics.
And it's a quite common practice for new teams when one partner has to adjust to the other, and coaches and skaters tell a lot about it - for example, I listened to Lilah Fear podcast with Zach Donohue not so long ago and he said that he needed to work a lot and to progress a lot in order to be ready to skate with Madison Hubbell, because she was way stronger skater in the beginning.
It’s not a secret that Victoria had to improve - and so she did, she worked a lot, did a marvelous job and that’s why they were finally able to succeed.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Zhulin is one of the athltes/coaches with whom I usually disagree on great many things (especially on non-skating related topics), but still enjoy reading/listening to his interviews because he doesn't impose his opinions, and his perspective could be interesting at times. Also he usually brings some :watch: details from the past.

I don't know about their relationship outside of the rink, but while I don't agree with Zhulin's wording here, technically I agree with him. Hadn't the whole FSU and all figure skating fans across the world said that it's Victoria who has to improve her skating, to catch up with Nikita and etc for 5 years? It's only natural that Victoria and Nikita had different techniques since they started skating under different coaches, with different partners and teamed up when both were adults with already formed basics.
And it's a quite common practice for new teams when one partner has to adjust to the other, and coaches and skaters tell a lot about it - for example, I listened to Lilah Fear podcast with Zach Donohue not so long ago and he said that he needed to work a lot and to progress a lot in order to be ready to skate with Madison Hubbell, because she was way stronger skater in the beginning.
It’s not a secret that Victoria had to improve - and so she did, she worked a lot, did a marvelous job and that’s why they were finally able to succeed.

I don't think anyone has an issue with the technicalities. :)

Rina RUS

First of all, every life matters. This is out of question.

How can be someone transphobic? Because of religious reasons? Is Rowling so religious? Or what?

I know nothing about Rowling. I can speak only about my feelings.
I remember Michael Jackson who didn't change his gender, but thought he couldn't be happy without changing the colour of his skin. He ruined his health, didn't he?
I see women who don't change their gender, but do so many decorative surgeries that their faces become scaring, and those women come to talk shows, and... it is sad for me. I don't want other girls to do the same. Even though their bodies belong to them.
I think... we should try to help children become happy without making such decisions - if it is possible for them. I think being careful about such topics is important. I think sex-swap surgeries is one of these topics.

It is also sad, if the words "woman" or "mom" become offensive. I think little kids have a right to grow in the world where these words are normal simple words.

Sorry. I'm sincere.

Rina RUS

It is said that starting from June 9 people in Moscow don't need QR codes and may go for a walk at any time.

It is said they will be allowed to use benches and playgrounds only starting from June 23.

Last edited:

Regretla

Zhulin is a lot of things but he's not stupid.He made a lot of mistakes in his skating career, he could have won everything he wanted. I don't agree with his coaching techniques at times, or the material he gives his students,and S/K are far from my favourite ice dancers but I can't unsee that Viktoria has worked a lot although I don't like their style. And it's true that Nikita is a better skater, and that it's usually the 'worst' skater that has to listen and improve. And using the term 'worst' skater for anyone in the current top 6-8 in ice dance right now is not even right to start with. This is a bunch of very talented people out there and also in Russia. Both the russian teams at this point are really strong. Z/G are also a strong team.

happycamper2554

Zhulin is a lot of things but he's not stupid.He made a lot of mistakes in his skating career, he could have won everything he wanted. I don't agree with his coaching techniques at times, or the material he gives his students,and S/K are far from my favourite ice dancers but I can't unsee that Viktoria has worked a lot although I don't like their style. And it's true that Nikita is a better skater, and that it's usually the 'worst' skater that has to listen and improve. And using the term 'worst' skater for anyone in the current top 6-8 in ice dance right now is not even right to start with. This is a bunch of very talented people out there and also in Russia. Both the russian teams at this point are really strong. Z/G are also a strong team.

I think it's the fact that he always says she's Obedient. That word just has a negative connotation especially in light of other events surrounding this team. If he picked a different word it would sound better. But isn't Vika on record saying she doesnt talk as much because she likes Nikita to be the leader of the team or something to that effect.

Regretla

I think it's the fact that he always says she's Obedient. That word just has a negative connotation especially in light of other events surrounding this team. If he picked a different word it would sound better. But isn't Vika on record saying she doesnt talk as much because she likes Nikita to be the leader of the team or something to that effect.
I hope he's just referring to the skating and training process and not how a woman should behave generally

Ka3sha

Zhulin words about leadership in S/K team and Victoria in particular from the recent ‘World of Figure Skating’ article
The role of the leader in this team belongs to Nikita. But only at first glance. In truth, Victoria is a hidden leader and the strongest core. What we see is Nikita, and what we don't see is Vika. To be precise: Nikita brings power, emotions, energy, Vika - strength and stability. It's Victoria who gives Nikita psychological confidence on the ice. This is an equal and harmonious pair of two strong personalities.
In life, Vika is a very kind and modest person. This quality prevented her from opening herself on the ice. And any created image on the ice looked as if it was drawn with one paint. Modesty on the ice is not the best quality. If music suggests a vivid emotion, sexuality, then it should be shown, not hidden inside! Skaters should also learn this, in addition to rockers and counters. If the character was romantic and lyrical, Vika knew how to portray it. But she had a difficult time when some additional fire was needed. So all our coaching team tried to praise her more often, to say how beautiful she is. At first she was embarrassed, blushed a bit, but gradually began to open.

Bigbird

To be clear its not his words about Sinitsina that irk me. Its about his first wife, current wife, Sinitsina and Katsalapov's response to her improvement. As a whole it is most revealing about power dynamics both on and off the ice. But lets just leave it at that. I am surprised by none of these comments based on many interviews given in the past.

lala

I think... we should try to help children become happy without making such decisions - if it is possible for them. I think being careful about such topics is important. I think sex-swap surgeries is one of these topics.

It is also sad, if the words "woman" or "mom" become offensive. I think little kids have a right to grow in the world where these words are normal simple words.

Sorry. I'm sincere.

I also will be sincere. Sorry, your words make me sad. You are a nice and smart woman. How can you write such things? The plastic surgeries is not the same thing! Those persons who want to change their gender have no chance. They are unhappy, they need psychologist...and after the sex-swap they feel they arrived in their life and become happy. Why is it so unacceptable for anyone? What do we have to do with it? Nothing. They can do what is good for them.

I don't understand why those words "woman or mom" become offensive because of the transgenders? This is typical sentence from brainwashed people with far-right or ultraconservative attitudes but there is no basis for the assumption. If God is exist he created these people, too! Right? They are not so many people and no one will do that surgery because of just for fun.

CaliSteve

I don't understand something..How can be someone transphobic? Because of religious reasons? Is Rowling so religious? Or what? I believe the transgenderity is totally personal feeling, decision no one is hurted by them. Many times most of the people don't recognize who is that.

JK is actually pretty progressive and a feminist. There are some feminist that do not and will not understand trans issues for a whole number of reasons.

lala

JK is actually pretty progressive and a feminist. There are some feminist that do not and will not understand trans issues for a whole number of reasons.

Hm. Feminist and progressive. But isn't commiserating...

Tinami Amori

I don't understand why those words "woman or mom" become offensive because of the transgenders?
1) On an earlier subject: I don't think it is ANYBODY'S business, pros or cons, to discuss what people do with their bodies, what gender they consider themselves, and how they call themselves. I don't want left or right to start discussions. Let people be what they want to be IF it is not hurting others physically or financially.

And.. it's not just about "human forms". If i want to shape-shift into a wolf or a dog and live in a dog-cabin - it is my business and nobody else's (if i still pay taxes and obey the laws). I am exaggerating of course, but this is how i feel.

2) re highlighted part. I am not sure you (lala) and (Rina) are talking about the same thing/issue. I heard that in some countries in Europe and some areas in USA, in order to not offend same-sex parents, the authorities (???) want government forms and new children's books to eliminate terms "mother" and "father" and use term "Parent 1" and "Parent 2" instead.

I too think that ELIMINATING "mother" "woman" "father" "man" is NOT FAIR!! Everybody should be accommodated: just add "Parent 1 and 2" as a choice to mother, father and have an option FOR ALL PEOPLE.

Tinami Amori

Alexei Yagudin speaks his apology and gives an explanation for the last post (about "croaking" and "nature's mistake").
said on a video https://www.instagram.com/alexei.yagudin/?utm_source=ig_embed

"Yesterday in my IG i made a very dumb posting, for which i am greatly ashamed. (prior to that reaction) I read the news on social media that a famous american skater donated 1000 dollars to an organization that helps black transsexuals. Such news by themselves, as you would agree, are rather odd, so on the height of my emotions i allowed myself to engage in very harsh expressions. Of course i don't wish anyone to croak, and apologize for my words. If something is wrong, one must admit it. (mistakes one must admit).

(not just now) But even yesterday i did not intend anything bad to happen to anyone, let alone death. Simply, perhaps the situation angered me, and here is the "situation" (as i see it): I am living in this world, my daughters are growing up in this world, in this world where there are "donation funds for the black transsexuals". What the heck is going on? In this world there are many orphans, sick children, struggling senior citizens. What's with the "foundation for black transsexuals"? What does the skin color has to do with it? What kind of "help" are we talking about, if they themselves, as we say, "chose this path to follow"?

I am not against gay, trans, lesbians. In my group of friends there is a huge amount of people with a non-traditional sexual orientation. I have nothing against (them). I am against propaganda (advertising/promotion). The society does not need to know who sleeps with whom. My daughters too don't need to hear about it.

All i said now is not a justification for my yesterday's behavior, i am a public person and must monitor what i say and post on social medial. Once again i apologize for my yesterday's words. Wish all love and health. Take care of your children".

Last edited:

Rina RUS

They are unhappy, they need psychologist... /.../
and no one will do that surgery because of just for fun.

I think Jackson did his surgeries not just for fun too. I think those people who do many plastic surgeries are unhappy too (partly, at least).

I think it is possible to try to make this world better for someone who doesn't like the colour of his skin.
I think it is possible to try to talk to a person who is unhappy for another reason. To try to find other ways to help - before making a tough choice.

and after the sex-swap they feel they arrived in their life and become happy.

As far as I can see not all of them "live happily ever after". There are people who become a man (for example), than feel they are unhappy again and become a woman again - cutting the body again. I see Keira Bell who was very young when she agreed to become a man - now she says she is unhappy, she is "not a man, not a woman", she wants to help other people not to make such a mistake. She says she wasn't the youngest among the patients.

Sorry. I think I'm not going to continue this discussion. I just think people should be careful instead of picturing such a dangerous decision as the only way. Especially when it is also about teenagers trying to understand why they are unhappy when they are becoming adult people.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Can everyone take the trans discussion to somewhere like PI so the rest of us who are interested in actual Russian skating can read this thread without having to wade through a discussion about JK Rowling, Adam Rippon and a long-retired Russian skater's Twitter war on the subject?

Bellanca

I like heavy depressing programs :drama: Ideally, there will be a nice mix, some fun and light programs, some drama. What I hate is when there is a push that forces all teams to go in one direction or the other. Let the teams figure it out themselves!
Oh, you too?! :lol:

What I don't particularly care for are programs that show a team is obviously forcing the issue in regards to a style not suitable or adequate for their personalities. Some teams should never do ott light, fluffy, or gasp — silly. Experiment with innovation, yes. Implode with saccharine, no. Zhulin was never cut out for such a serious outrageous violation, plain and simple. :drama: For that, I am incredibly grateful. :D

Bigbird

Oh, you too?! :lol:

What I don't particularly care for are programs that show a team is obviously forcing the issue in regards to a style not suitable or adequate for their personalities. Some teams should never do ott light, fluffy, or gasp — silly. Experiment with innovation, yes. Implode with saccharine, no. Zhulin was never cut out for such a serious outrageous violation, plain and simple. :drama: For that, I am incredibly grateful. :D
Haha. Haha. I am late , but still. LOL.

muffinplus

Not sure if this belongs in the France thread... actually may not even belong here nor does it need to get paid attention to :lol: Marina Anissina recorded a video where she is saying **** is a conspiracy invented by corrupt politicians.. I mean gotta be honest, it seems like she lost her mind a while ago. Guessing she is drinking the same brain bleach Yagudin is

Last edited:

lala

Not sure if this belongs in the France thread... actually may not even belong here nor does it need to get paid attention to :lol: Marina Anissina recorded a video where she is saying **** is a conspiracy ..

There are many people who think that in my country, too. Where does Anissina live? In Russia? There are almost 500 000 infected in Russia. How can she say that?

Tinami Amori

Not sure if this belongs in the France thread... actually may not even belong here nor does it need to get paid attention to :lol: Marina Anissina recorded a video where she is saying **** is a conspiracy invented by corrupt politicians.. I mean gotta be honest, it seems like she lost her mind a while ago. Guessing she is drinking the same brain bleach Yagudin is.
To be exact she is pretty much saying (hinting) without calling it, that it is a Judeo-Masonic Conspiracy and the corrupt politicians of Russia and of many countries have been purchased/enticed into enslaving the world population and attempting to eliminate 7 bill. people. manipulated by mass media who is on a payroll of oligarchs and "those who hold the money and power". She claims that the Mayor of Moscow (Sabianin) has created a prison/concentration camp out of Moscow and took away people's freedom, while in various regions in France people are free to move around. And so on..

(there is a transcription of the video if anyone is interested. it is 7-8 paragraphs, quite long. the text is "hinting" partially and the rest of it are accusations and depiction of horrors-to-come.)

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

Bellanca

Zhulin is a lot of things but he's not stupid.He made a lot of mistakes in his skating career, he could have won everything he wanted.
No, he is not stupid, but I'm not sure he could have won everything he wanted because he stood in some pretty big shadows. Zhulin (Usova) were one of those solid silver positioned teams despite winning 93 WC and Euro gold. It always felt so close and yet so far away for them.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I have watched enough Frasier to recognize Yagudin is likely a latent homosexual. If I recall correctly,this isn't the first time he has posted inflammatory opinions on social media and then erases said opinions a short time later. This,combined with his rapidly deteriorating physical appearance,makes me suspect he also has an alcohol problem.

-Dr BB

muffinplus

To be exact she is pretty much saying (hinting) without calling it, that it is a Judeo-Masonic Conspiracy and the corrupt politicians of Russia and of many countries have been purchased/enticed into enslaving the world population and attempting to eliminate 7 bill. people. manipulated by mass media who is on a payroll of oligarchs and "those who hold the money and power". She claims that the Mayor of Moscow (Sabianin) has created a prison/concentration camp out of Moscow and took away people's freedom, while in various regions in France people are free to move around. And so on..

(there is a transcription of the video if anyone is interested. it is 7-8 paragraphs, quite long. the text is "hinting" partially and the rest of it are accusations and depiction of horrors-to-come.)

What else is there to say she sounds like a deranged cult devotee...the 2002 Olympic champions are quite scary...

Bigbird

Not sure if this belongs in the France thread... actually may not even belong here nor does it need to get paid attention to :lol: Marina Anissina recorded a video where she is saying **** is a conspiracy invented by corrupt politicians.. I mean gotta be honest, it seems like she lost her mind a while ago. Guessing she is drinking the same brain bleach Yagudin is
:rolleyes:

Tinami Amori

What else is there to say she sounds like a deranged cult devotee...the 2002 Olympic champions are quite scary...
She never had much education, and shortly after returning to Russia married a nut-case showman, Nikita Dzhigurda.

At the age of 20 Dzhigurda was placed in a psychiatric hospital with a diag: hypomania.

He is known in that relationship for running live for the public viewing the birth of their two kids (with cameras placed almost between her legs). He is the one who is feeding her these "conspiracy" ideas, which she is also quoting in that statement. That marriage is one scandal or another, including divorce, etc.....

Mad for Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information