Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

Also, a book about Meghan & Harry has reportedly been written by Omid Scobie with co-author, Carolyn Durand, entitled: Thoroughly Modern Royals: The Real World of Harry & Meghan.

According to reports, it's not an authorized biography, but since Omid is a fair and reasonable journalist, hopefully it will be informative and balanced. E-format is supposed to be available in June, with hard-copy to appear sometime later in the summer.

The book is now called Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan, and the Making of a Modern Royal Family. It’s available for preorder on Amazon with a release in August. It’s authorized by H&M. Finding Freedom—seriously? I’ll restrain myself from a snarky comment or two, but will say it’s such an astonishing slap in the face to the Queen.

starrynight

Every press release they put out, they address themselves in the third person and repeatedly call themselves the Duke and Duchess. So it's not like they are seeking freedom from the royal family. I just don't see how using a huge heap of royal money to go live in LA is 'modern'. If anything, viewing themselves as fully entitled to money and aristocratic titles without working for it is actually the complete opposite of 'modern'. Especially in the current situation.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The book is now called Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan, and the Making of a Modern Royal Family. It’s available for preorder on Amazon with a release in August. It’s authorized by H&M. Finding Freedom—seriously? I’ll restrain myself from a snarky comment or two, but will say it’s such an astonishing slap in the face to the Queen.

Yeah, I saw today that the title has been modified. The other title was listed as a 'working title.' The kindle download reportedly should be available in June, with the hard copy set for August release, with pre-order available. I don't think the book title is a direct reflection on the Queen, nor is it intended as a 'slap in the face' to her. The fact Harry loves his grandmother, is the reason why he didn't leave the royal family sooner, before he ever met Meghan. From what I've seen and read, Harry has been very much let down by his extended family. Obviously, he has no plans to let down his immediate family, which consists of his wife and son. The well-being of his core family unit is the main reason why Harry made the decision to step away from being a senior royal, as he has said himself.

Also, we aren't privy to the Queen's intimate interactions with M&H in terms of their private conversations and any understanding that may exist between them (including between them and Prince Charles). The palace p.r., courtiers and staffers' views and actions are on a different level I would think to some extent than how QE-II and PC personally feel about their grandson/son and his family. For sure, the Queen isn't happy about M&H stepping down, but both she and PC were fully aware of the conflicts going on within the royal family, and they were fully aware of M&H's opposition to continually being lied about in the tabloids, added to the enabling leaks that came from the palaces.

Seemingly, wrong advice was given to the Queen and PC in regard to how to resolve the conflicts and M&H's unhappiness and feelings of isolation within the confines of the gilded cage. I've always felt that strong public support should have been provided, in particular to Meghan by senior royals, with the firm joining together in a united front against such tabloid abuse of a pregnant member of the royal family. With the firm's passive inaction and their stonewalling M&H with stiff-upper-lip platitudes, the firm ended up entirely missing the boat. And thus the current situation is what it is.

I'm not sure that Meghan & Harry were consulted on the book's title. They may have been, but it's not confirmed. I would think the title is more left up to the publisher, with the authors' input. Reportedly, the Sussexes' friends were given the blessing to talk with the co-authors, Omid Scobie & Carolyn Durand. It's not clear whether M&H gave a sit-down interview as well. For sure M&H cooperated in some way, whether or not they actually spoke directly to the authors. Scobie is a fair and responsible journalist and M&H apparently trust him to be fair and professional in his account. But it is his account with assistance from his co-author, Durand. The book is not written by the Sussexes.

There's so much tabloid drivel out there, along with a number of uninformed, rushed books thrown together about M&H, meant to cash in on their popularity. The ones I've read do not focus on substantive depth and accuracy. So, I look forward to seeing the approach Scobie's book will take. I expect his book will be fair and balanced, but also favorable. What will make his account worthwhile is if it provides depth, substance and accuracy. I expect accuracy since Scobie has the insider contacts to ensure he gets factual details right.

Last edited:

mella

Is it relevant to the court case, though? It doesn't matter why the friends talked to People, only that they did. The tabloids are contending that Meghan shared the letter with a bunch of her friends and then the friends shared it with People, so there was no privacy left to breach when they published excerpts.

Well that claim hasn't been thrown out so at the very least it seems the impact of the friends' interview on privacy isn't so clear cut as to warrant dismissal.

Notwithstanding that i'm not a lawyer, I was responding to the general conversation about the fridnds' interview rather than the legal particulars. I could have been clearer.

Winnipeg

The thought of this book is making me roll my eyes. Sorry to those who love them but........... they seem to do things they say they do not want to do (or something like that). :rolleyes: I think they are 2 confused souls.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

From the description here, the book sounds like a big old pile of brown-nosing. Hard pass.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I find it interesting that Town & Country are transparent in pointing out that Omid Scobie and the secondary author, Carolyn Durand, both contribute to publications that are owned by Town & Country's parent company, Hearst. :) I doubt though that the writer of this brief article, Caroline Hallemann, has seen an advance draft of the book's text. Hallemann is simply quoting press releases about the book that are available to everyone. Therefore, it pays to keep in mind that T&C's account of the book is a third party report based on available press releases from the publisher.

Of course the book's approach is going to be positive. What I'm interested in seeing, as I said earlier, is what kind of factual information will be provided, as well as its overall approach. Omid Scobie is a fair and professional young journalist, which is rare among royal reporters. Because Scobie is fair and transparent and because he has insider Sussex contacts, I've seen reports that the Daily Fail has tried to disparage Scobie's integrity, as well as his background (simply because he's British-Iranian). As demonstrated time and again, tabloid dregs and leeches are the scum of the earth.

As far as labeling the book 'brown-nosing,' ah well, if that's the case, most of the biographies and memoirs of famous people and of royal subjects could be labeled that way. The point is whether or not the information provided has substance and factual accuracy. With the authors having insider Sussex contacts and behind-the-scenes approval, but reportedly no direct input by M&H, the book will at least feature an inside track to information that no other hastily put-together book about Meghan and about the lives of M&H, can claim.

The thought of this book is making me roll my eyes. Sorry to those who love them but........... they seem to do things they say they do not want to do (or something like that). :rolleyes: I think they are 2 confused souls.

:lol: I would take the ongoing tabloid fictions about Meghan & Harry with a huge grain of salt. Why would you position M&H as 'two confused souls,' more-so than anyone else on the planet, especially at this particular time in our chaotic existence as humans? :drama: There's more evidence of confusion about M&H existing in this thread than surely exists in their own minds about who they are and what their intentions and actions are based upon.

There's no reason for you to worry about your misperceptions bothering people who 'love' and/or admire and respect these two young people. From all available evidence (regardless of negative tabloid drivel), the Sussexes are taking care of themselves and their son, while also doing their best to give back to others. Even in the midst of being unfairly vilified and OTT criticized and overly scrutinized, M&H are focused on living their best lives by virtue of blessings both gifted and hard-won.

Last edited:

starrynight

From the description here, the book sounds like a big old pile of brown-nosing. Hard pass.

It would be a vehicle for the authors to win favour ensure access to Meghan and Harry going forward.

Honestly, I do wonder what Harry is thinking about LA. For all the problems he had with the UK, he's gone and moved to a country where people are protesting 'rona lockdown measures by storming buildings and running down the street waving guns. The cultural difference to the UK couldn't be more pronounced. It'll be even more apparent when election time starts.

Last edited:

mag

It would be a vehicle for the authors to win favour ensure access to Meghan and Harry going forward.

And it will be the story from Harry and Meghan’s perspective as seen through their eyes and their filters just as Diana, Her Story was told from Diana’s perspective and through her filters and Charles’, sorry, I can’t remember the name of his, was told from his perspective and with his filters.

It seems a bit early for a book, but I suppose that it is not unusual these days. What will be very interesting is to contrast it with the inevitable book put out one day by a secretary, nanny, or body guard.

starrynight

I am actually quite interested to see how involved (or not involved) Meghan and Harry get in the USA election.

As the Royal Family perform many diplomatic roles - mostly softening up foreign leaders with a nice friendly engagement and dinner before the hard stuff starts with the politicians - they always remain separate from partisan politics. But interested to see what Meghan and Harry do.

aftershocks

Banned Member

The authors have already conducted themselves fairly and professionally in a way that has provided them with a measure of insider access, which does not mean they are rah rah Sussex mouthpieces regardless of what people with a tabloid-centric view prefer to think. Omid Scobie has been fair and objective and not without critical, clear-eyed commentary on the Sussexes. It's very curious why there appears to be so much negative side-eyeing and advance critical speculation continually directed toward M&H on this forum. My approach is to judge the Sussexes fairly by what they actually do and say, not by the constant negative fictions spun in the tabloids and often picked up in bits and pieces by the mainstream media. In terms of the upcoming book, I will judge it by reading what's actually in it first.

Supposedly there's a feeling here that M&H are somehow setting themselves in opposition to the royal firm. In actuality, M&H tried to seek help behind-the-scenes for months but were met with stone-walling from royal courtiers and 'stiff-upper-lip' platitudes from senior members of Harry's family. What Harry has made clear is that he and Meghan will not participate in playing 'quid-pro-quo' access games with the British media for the purposes of receiving more favorable tabloid coverage.

Since M&H have not been fully supported by the royal firm in taking this stand against the British tabloids, Harry made the decision to step down in order to protect his marriage, and to preserve the mental and physical well-being of himself, his wife and his son. Both M&H have represented the royal firm with substantial, beneficial projects and with great dignity, hard work and huge popular appeal (in working with their patronages and on their royal tours and public engagements). The Sussexes were both eager to continue representing the British monarchy, but not at the expense of being emotionally abused, isolated, marginalized and mischaracterized within the gilded cage. The reason M&H stopped all representation by the royal firm is because they are no longer senior royals, and because there have been continual leaks to the tabloids targeted against them from sources within the palaces.

Frankly, both Sussexes have endured betrayals from both sides of their respective families, and yet in the ongoing midst of it, they have conducted themselves in return with dignity and above-board generosity, not revenge. After the South Africa documentary, it was blared in the tabloids that Harry had confirmed a rift with William. In fact, Harry went out of his way to say that he loves his brother and that he would always be there for him, as he felt his brother would be for him. I don't know if the latter still holds true on either of their parts at the moment. Still the fact is, there have never been any words voiced by or attributed to Harry that have thrown William under the bus. Harry said in the documentary that, "We've had our ups and our downs, but we're brothers, and we'll always be brothers."

Despite the fact that it's well known Harry was unhappy at times with life as a member of the royal family, and that he'd voiced a desire to step away from the royal fishbowl in his twenties, a lot of people still want to lay the Sussexes' departure at Meghan's door. The fact is Meghan gave up a great deal and she made a number of personal sacrifices in order to marry the man she loves. In turn, Harry has willingly made sacrifices to preserve his family unit. He told us in his own words in January that he made the decision to protect his immediate family by stepping down from senior royal duties. Harry also pointed out that the stand he and Meghan are taking against the British tabloids is much larger than just being about them. They are taking a stand in order to fight back against abuses by the tabloid media that have harmed and maligned a lot of people, not just themselves. Believe it or not.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Today is Archie Harrison's first birthday! ♥

The video in the first link is so cute. Archie still doesn't have a lot of hair. There are some reddish patches, but it looks like his hair is turning dark brown or reddish brown. It's not clear yet, so let's see what happens as he grows. He looks unsurprisingly a bit different from his New Year's picture on Vancouver Island, having lost some of his baby fat.

Harry is holding the camera. Archie is so cute turning the pages of the book, and being distracted by other books. Then he grabs the book and tries to eat it, when Meghan finishes reading. She really seems to be enjoying motherhood, and Harry as well, fatherhood. Archie looks toward the camera at the end, saying "Da da da..." 😍

ETA:
Direct link to the Instagram page #savewithstories, which asks for donations to support food banks, mobile meal trucks, and community feeding programs. Sussex fans have been raising money for the past month in honor of Archie's first birthday for a number of charities, including WellChild, et al. I believe they've raised between $40,000 and $50,000 but I don't know the current total amount.

Last edited:

Vagabond

To be red-headed, or not to be red-headed, that is the question. The answer is yet to be determined. Given how his father looked in childhood, I'd say that we'll have a clear answer in another twenty years or so.

:watch:

kittyjake5

I see this book as a step in the direction for H&M to become financially independent, it is all about the money, no judgment more power to them.
The publicity that is a "tell all book" IMO is just clickbait and a PR move to get folks to buy the book. I would be very surprised if they
attack the Royal Family in this book. JMO

mag

Nice birthday posts from Clarence House and Kensington Royal.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Harry was a cute kid but Archie is much cuter IMO. It's like he got the best from both parents.

I'm reserving judgement on the book. I don't know if we'll hear anything new or it may be just another money-making rehash. @mag said "It seems a bit early for a book, but I suppose that it is not unusual these days. What will be very interesting is to contrast it with the inevitable book put out one day by a secretary, nanny, or body guard." I have never read a biography by a secretary, nanny or bodyguard because those people always have an ax to grind & may be less than truthful for the sake of flinging dirt. I hope these writers are more ethical.

mag

@taf2002 I agree about Archie being a bit of both parents. He certainly is a gorgeous kid!

Not all books are by people with a axe to grind. Prince Charles’ long time valet wrote a very interesting “tell all” book that was quite complimentary about Charles, Diana, and the royal family. My point was more that, yes there are facts, but with life, so much of how we see things is affected by our own filters. Scobie, as far as I can see, has no journalistic or writing training and has really only recently arrived on the scene. That doesn’t mean he is not good at what he does, just that he will have a perspective which is different than someone who has come up through the journalism ranks. Harry, Meghan, and their friends will also be relating their story from their perspective. Again, nothing wrong at all with that, but it doesn’t mean that there won’t be different, equally valid and true, versions of the same events that come out later.

One only needs to look at the vastly different telling of the Charles and Diana story to know that the old saying that there is your truth and my truth, and the real truth is somewhere in between, is quite true. I suspect the same holds true for today’s young royals.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I see this book as a step in the direction for H&M to become financially independent, it is all about the money, no judgment more power to them.
I"m not sure how they make money from this book. Since they didn't write it, they won't get paid for sales of it.

liv

OMG. Archie continues to be a dead ringer for his maternal grandfather! Happy Birthday to the little tot!

mag

ryanj07

Popular chick lit author Emily Giffin came under fire today for her mean spirited and hateful posts towards Meghan. Emily used to be one of my favorite authors (her last few books haven't been up to par IMO), so I followed her on instagram for awhile and it was a bit much. I don't even think her posts today were the worst. There was constant petty and mean girl posts towards Meghan, often even posting screenshots of her conversations with family and friends and their dislike of Meghan. I get not liking someone, but why use such a wonderful platform in a negative way?! She's now cleaned up her story and issued an apology on her social media.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Popular chick lit author Emily Giffin came under fire today for her mean spirited and hateful posts towards Meghan. Emily used to be one of my favorite authors (her last few books haven't been up to par IMO), so I followed her on instagram for awhile and it was a bit much. I don't even think her posts today were the worst. There was constant petty and mean girl posts towards Meghan, often even posting screenshots of her conversations with family and friends and their dislike of Meghan. I get not liking someone, but why use such a wonderful platform in a negative way?! She's now cleaned up her story and issued an apology on her social media.

It's so easy to say anything you want & then "apologize". What is she sorry for - her disgusting remarks or that people didn't approve of them? I used to like her books but there must be something really unappealing inside her to take such nasty shots publically at someone she doesn't even know. And I don't like her reaction to criticism. If you make a public comment then own it & don't apologize. You're not fooling anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information