Sport24: Aleksandra Trusova leaving Tutberidze for Plushenko

Ka3sha

According to Sport24, Aleksandra Trusova left Eteri Tutberidze's group and is now coached by Evgeny Pluschenko.

According to Sport24, Russian figure skater, Aleksandra Trusova, switched from Eteri Tutberidze's group to Evgeni Plushenko. A source familiar with the situation said that the change happened due to the dissatisfaction of the 15-year-old athlete with her position in the group and the lack of proper attention.

Eteri Tutberidze is now in Detroit, helping his daughter Diana Davis, who is also a figure skater, to start the training process and establish her life there.

Recently, the girls from Tutberidze's group didn't feel enough support of their coach, even online. She has not been in touch with them for some time already. For Trusova, this was all the more a problem, because she had been worried that she had not been given the proper attention in the group for a long time, although she was the first one to start jumping the quads.

I'd assume that if it's true indeed, than she is more likely to be coached by Aleksandr Volkov (also works at Pluschenko's rink), her first coach, rather than Pluschenko himself.

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Holy cow.

I’m one of the minority of Trusova fans, I think she’s fierce and entertaining. But Plushy’s record as a coach isn’t great. And Sasha was a time-limited slater anyway, dependent on quads her body will probably outgrow. I wonder if Eteri even cares.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Holy cow.

I’m one of the minority of Trusova fans, I think she’s fierce and entertaining. But Plushy’s record as a coach isn’t great. And Sasha was a time-limited slater anyway, dependent on quads her body will probably outgrow. I wonder if Eteri even cares.
I think she has a lot more potential than some think. I hope she can keep developing but I worry the quads will be gone in a season or two.

starrynight

And Sasha was a time-limited slater anyway, dependent on quads her body will probably outgrow. I wonder if Eteri even cares.

Given the war between Tutberidze and Plushenko, at least Trusova knows that Plushenko will care.

I must say that I probably need to eat a lot of humble pie, because I always presumed that Trusova was the naive one. Maybe not.

The risk with Trusova was that she was going to change shape during puberty, lose the quads and then be pushed out before she had a chance to get them back. I mean, if Tuktamysheva can get a quad in her twenties, what's to say the girls can't keep them? But I don't think the transition would be seamless. There'd be an adjustment period.

But Sambo 70 is a training environment where one must succeed right this instant and skaters cannot under any circumstances regress.

Maybe separating herself out from the pack of girls is a smart move. She won't get compared so much. With Plushenko she'll be 'Trusova' rather than 'Eteri Girl from 4A'.

antmanb

I've said it before and i'll say it again Trusova has fantastic jump technique and her jumps are big. She will go through puberty and there will be adjustments but her technique (at least before this coach change) was sound and she has all the tools to make it through.

Scherbakova will almost certainly lose her quads because they're whipped and reliant on rotational speed much more than height or length.

starrynight

I've said it before and i'll say it again Trusova has fantastic jump technique and her jumps are big. She will go through puberty and there will be adjustments but her technique (at least before this coach change) was sound and she has all the tools to make it through.

Yes she is primarily a jumper. But she probably needs the individual attention to give her something to stand out. You know a bit like Tuktamysheva's 'Elizabeth Taylor muumuu phase' etc. The whole being lumped in as '4A' didn't do someone like Trusova any favours. I would also say that Tutberidze is such a dominant force that she actually overshadows her own skaters to an extent.

Not so sure about this though - Tarakanova also switched from Tutberidze to Plushenko and it wasn't like Plushenko cared too much about her.

I think that Trusova is much bigger scalp though. Particularly coming off the back of Tutberidze and Plushenko fighting about Zagitova. I expect that Plushenko really wanted to headhunt one of these girls and now he's got one. I think he needs to do something here for the sake of his pride.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Woah, was not expecting this, but upon reflection judging by the results of GPF and Euros, perhaps not surprising that she jumped ship. Of the 3As, Sasha was a distant number 2 after Kost, yet I still find a lot appealing about her and her skating, I hope she makes her way through the transition relatively peacefully.

muffinplus

But at the same time Aleksandr Volkov is also working at Pluschenko’s school. And he is Trusova’s former coach and the one who actually taught her correct jumping technique in the very beginning.

I don't think Volkov has had successful senior students (?) Good luck to her though

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Well, Trusova did lose every competition she entered this season against Kostornaya/Scherbakova, so it might sound like a good idea to her. Am not sure who is a better jumping coach - Dudakov or Volkov taking she was a Volkov's pupil before switching to Dudakov. Her programmes were quite shite this year and last, so it's not as if there was anything to lose.

Cherub721

YEAH!
This seems almost like April Fool's! I sure hope this works out for her. I like her spunk. I can't help but think it was a reaction to having a rough season, by her standards, because she got bronze in the major events. I think she could have won Worlds if she landed everything, and the last two years she peaked at the end of the season. We'll never know because of the Worlds being cancelled, and that might change the course of her career.

How do skaters even switch coaches now anyway? I assume the rink is closed so what is the point in "switching"?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
How do skaters even switch coaches now anyway? I assume the rink is closed so what is the point in "switching"?

There are things that can be done, within limits, of course. S/F moved from Montreal to Toronto, worked with Carol Lane on a new FD, and have been doing video classes/workouts with the rest of Carol's skaters. I assume Trusova can and will take similar actions.

starrynight

It's interesting that it has been claimed there has been little contact from Eteri.

I do wonder if all the online classes from the Western coaches are due more to needing $$$$ than anything else. I don't know if the funding arrangement for Sambo 70 causes there to be any need to get training groups paying for zoom fitness classes?

Bigbird

Not sure what I dread more, the "did she bring her flowers" inevitable discussion or Tinami doing a 180 and treating Trusova like Medvedeva 2.0
[/QUOTE

How can she Eteri is in Florida so she can't play that card. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information