Movie/TV awards 2019-2020 thread

peibeck

Simply looking
Really? I thought if anything it'd be Once Upon a Time that would beat out Parasite. Say what you will about Tarantino, man can write a hell of a script. I'm still salty that Inglourious Basterds didn't win.

Really? I'm glad "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" didn't win screenplay. I honestly though that film and "The Irishman" both needed 40 or more minutes of all the blather chopped out. :slinkaway

ilovepaydays

Going to see Parasite this weekend - that’s the last Oscar nominated/winner I have left that I want to see.

Sorry, can’t get into seeing JoJo Rabbit. I have a good satire, but that’s a bit too far. Going to also pass on Marriage Story - I’ve been told it could be triggering for those that’s experienced divorce - whether it was your parents when you were a child or firsthand as an adult.

Last edited:

screech

Really? I'm glad "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" didn't win screenplay. I honestly though that film and "The Irishman" both needed 40 or more minutes of all the blather chopped out. :slinkaway
I agree with you on OUAT, actually. I normally love Tarantino, but I found OUAT boring. I just thought the Oscars would reward it. As for The Irishman, I have less than zero desire to see it. How many Scorcese gangster-ish movies do we need? (Though I did love The Departed).

This is the most Oscar-nominated (in any category) movies I've seen in the last few years, and for the most part I liked what I saw.
Really liked and would recommend Parasite, Jojo Rabbit and Knives Out (which I wish got more nominations, and I can't wait for the further Benoit Blanc movies).
Liked Marriage Story (though didn't think it was best picture-worthy) and Rocketman (Taron was robbed).
Didn't love OUAT, though it wasn't terrible.
Still have/want to see Joker and Little Women. Tossed on whether I want to see 1917, A Beautiful Day (mainly because I loved Matthew Rhys in The Americans), and Pain and Glory (can't believe this was Antonio's first nomination!)

VGThuy

I find them interesting, but I need to be in the mood for them, which isn't very often. I get he repeats himself, but there are people who are interested in that specific genre, and Scorsese is a master of it. As an artist, I like that he picks stories that personally resonate with him and mean something. At least he doesn't release one every year like the franchise movies we see today.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I found Joaquin Phoenix's acceptance speech at the Oscars thoughtful and moving. I haven't seen his other acceptance speeches.

I came across this old documentary on the amazing River Phoenix, and a recent 60 minutes interview with Joaquin and Anderson Cooper (who also lost a brother in his youth):

Takeaways for me: River Phoenix was an old soul, not meant for this world for very long (similar to Denis Ten). River's talent was otherworldly. River's responses to the throwaway questions an interviewer asked him on the red carpet at his first Oscar Awards are honest, and he's kind about answering. Q to River: "Who do you want to meet most tonight? River: "Uh, I don't know. (pause) The first thing I want to do is find out where the bathroom is."

The camera loved River Phoenix as did seemingly everyone who really knew him. Instead of taking a photograph of River lying on the street outside the Viper Room, a photographer called 911. Joaquin, his mother and siblings carry a part of River's spirit with them (Their father, John Phoenix [real surname: Bottom], died of cancer in 2015). River encouraged and inspired Joaquin's acting career, and Joaquin says River always told him that he would be a better actor. So despite River's brilliant career, he thought Joaquin was even more talented.

ilovepaydays

Going to see Parasite this weekend - that’s the last Oscar nominated/winner I have left that I want to see.

UPDATE: Saw Parasite yesterday afternoon. It is a very good film. It’s a way better film than the last several Best Picture winners, IMHO. I’ve felt that the last few years, I’ve been a bit :confused: at the movies that have been nominated and won Oscars.

I will say that if you don’t like/get dark comedy, you probably won’t like Parasite.

I do think that 2019 overall will go down as a pretty good year for movies. Not as great as 1939, 1967, 1974-1976 (heck, the 1970s as a whole was insanely good!), 1994, and 1999 - but still pretty 👍.

Rob

Beach Bum
UPDATE: Saw Parasite yesterday afternoon. It is a very good film. It’s a way better film than the last several Best Picture winners, IMHO. I’ve felt that the last few years, I’ve been a bit :confused: at the movies that have been nominated and won Oscars.

I will say that if you don’t like/get dark comedy, you probably won’t like Parasite.
I saw it last night. So demented and so good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information