Romain PONSART (Substitute)

Pairs (2)
Cléo HAMON & Denys STREKALIN
Coline KERIVEN & Noël-Antoine PIERRE

Ice Dance (3)
Gabriella PAPADAKIS & Guillaume CIZERON
Adelina GALYAVIEVA & Louis THAURON
Evgenia LOPAREVA & Geoffrey BRISSAUD
Julia WAGRET & Pierre SOUQUET (Substitutes)
Natacha LAGOUGE & Arnaud CAFFA (Substitutes)

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I had to go back and look, and in Minsk it was Lecavelier 5th and Meite 7th.
I think that says more about the state of the Euro ladies minus whichever 3 Russians are sent than it does about the strength of the French ladies - though, in fairness, Russia did the rest of the Euros ladies field a solid last year in sending Konstantinova to Minsk.

Sylvia

TBD
From L'Équipe:

ETA:
In its review of the anti-doping code, WADA said concerned stakeholders raised concern over recreational drugs, with cocaine use a particular problem.
Stakeholders raised concerns about athlete health in relation to these drugs, saying that health should be the priority where an athlete has a drug problem, not a performance enhancement problem.
Based on these concerns, WADA has agreed to change the rules included in its code as part of the wide-ranging review which will be implemented in 2021.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

From L'Équipe:
Poor girl! no questions that it is a law-enforcement issue since coke is illegal.. la loi c-est la loi.. But she has not competed since September 2018, she did not participate in FN, not skating in Europeans. She did it for fun/recreation, not to cheat another competitor or to gain "athletic advantage".. I don't think WADA should be testing non-competing athletes for "drugs and alcohol", it's a matter for the local law authorities and not "sports issues". You can't skate too well on coke after few minutes of "initial excitement". I hope her penalty is minimal.

"The Frenchwoman, who has been training since last summer in Italy, has not appeared in competition since the end of September. She did not participate in the French Dunkirk Championships at the end of December, and does not appear in the selection for the European Championships in Graz (22-25 January)."

Orm Irian

Oh hell. Not good at all. Though I do have to wonder if she was self-medicating for pain at some point, she's had a horrendous amount of injuries.

That said, this has come from a far from an official source, so I'll wait until the FFSG or better yet, the ISU says something about it.

One thing I do not want to see is Laurine, for whatever real or dubiously sourced reason, getting thrown under the bus to distract attention from the child sexual abuse investigation around Morgan Cipres.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

One thing I do not want to see is Laurine, for whatever real or dubiously sourced reason, getting thrown under the bus to distract attention from the child sexual abuse investigation around Morgan Cipres.
First we need to hear from Laurine, because coke (and many other chemicals/substances) can be found in your system without one using it. Coke (along with few other) is one substance that can be absorbed through skin (as little as 5 mg), especially through mucous membrane (i.e. if you get coke on your fingers, then rub eye, lips or ear.. it can get into your system).

So... let's not condemn Laurine yet... and even if she sniffed a bit of it... honestly? it did not harm anyone, nor she had a car wreck or did something wrong to another person's health or property..

Skibean

Just curious, because I honestly don’t know/ is cocaine a drug used for pain? I can’t say I’ve ever heard of it used for pain relief.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Just curious, because I honestly don’t know/ is cocaine a drug used for pain? I can’t say I’ve ever heard of it used for pain relief.
Here in the US ,at least in the early part of the 20th century , it used to be used by dentists as a local anesthetic .

vireo

Cocaine was once used medically for pain relief and as an anesthetic.

Skibean

:eek:
I feel like I should have known this, but wow. I can see why people would question if she was using for pain relief. Very sad and unfortunate if that’s the case.

text_skate

It can be used as pain relief, but most people I know, use it to stay awake (doctors in hospitals), and to stay in shape (mostly athletes, semi-professionals) as it numbs any feeling for hunger

Orm Irian

It can be used as pain relief, but most people I know, use it to stay awake (doctors in hospitals), and to stay in shape (mostly athletes, semi-professionals) as it numbs any feeling for hunger

True. From what I've seen, though, the kind of alcohol or recreational drug use that people tend to do to self-medicate isn't necessarily about targeted, medically-accurate pain relief; it's more about blocking awareness of the pain/distress or overwriting it with other stuff, like the euphoria of a drug high or the buzz of being drunk.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

In Bolivia, I was given coca-leaf tea for headache. It’s a legal plant...at least back in the ‘80s.

Orm Irian

I believe opium was far more common.

Yes, opium was used as a painkiller for a long time, and as a proto-anaesthetic before ether, but not as an injectable local anaesthetic like cocaine, as far as I remember (and then there was laudanum, which sounds mild but was actually a tincture of opium suspended in alcohol - no wonder Samuel Taylor Colieridge was drinking a quart of the stuff a day by the end of his life). Ether was used as a general anaesthetic from partway through the Victorian era.

The addictive qualities of cocaine were well known even from the early days of its use as an anaesthetic and medication, too. There's a reason Dr Watson disapproves of Sherlock Holmes injecting himself with cocaine when he's bored in the Holmes stories.

None of which is on-topic for the thread, sorry, but history of medicine is interesting in its own right I guess!

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

The addictive qualities of cocaine were well known even from the early days of its use as an anaesthetic and medication, too. There's a reason Dr Watson disapproves of Sherlock Holmes injecting himself with cocaine when he's bored in the Holmes stories.
My recollections are that Sherlock Holmes often used cocaine when he wanted to get into "creative mindset to think about a case" or before playing his violin.. but not when he was "bored"...

analia

Cocaine use is so common. I know at least a handful of habitual cocaine users who seem to keep it together except for the constant sniffing part. It is what it is. Many including me have done it while clubbing. I do not personally care for “clean sport”. Athletes are human too and they deserve getting high once a while just like normal people.

barbarafan

From L'Équipe:

ETA:
I agree with the cannabis change but cocaine is a big no no. I am shocked that this was tampered with.

Tavi

Is it my imagination that this news appears to be generating a lot of press in France as compared to the relative silence about Morgan Ciprès?

Tinami Amori

Athletes are human too and they deserve getting high once a while just like normal people.
It's an issue of law/legality of a particular substance, not just WADA/sports restrictions. In some places now marijuana is legal, alcohol is legal almost everywhere, so i agree that athletes have a right to use them if there is no interference with sports ethics, aka using it to hide other substances or during competition to gain advantage (although pot and alcohol is rather a downer not a helper).

Cocaine? legality and use? it is so subjective... There are so many legal substances/liquids that can be misused or over-used with lethal or very harmful outcomes. Few lines of coke, at 3-4 parties a year is (imo) not a big deal at all, makes no diff. in your life, or rather minimal difference, than lets say when someone legally buys 3 bottles of vodka and drinks it up in a day.. But coke is now illegal, and once you're caught, you get a penalty..that's how it is now... maybe it will change too, like with dope..

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information