2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games, January 9-22 in Lausanne, Switzerland

RoseRed

China and Canada both have somebody to send. None of the other countries had an eligible pair on the JGP, but then, the US pair wasn't on the JGP, and with North Korea especially who knows what's going on with them; they could easily have a team in the pipeline that we've never heard a whisper about until they show up.
Georgia had an eligible team on the JGP - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00108235.htm

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Do Alina BUTAEVA and Luka BERULAV both have Georgian passports citizenship though?

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

đŸ‡ș🇩💙🙏💛đŸ‡ș🇩
Nope. No, she wouldn’t.
Uh yep - yes she would. You compete in the Youth Olympics, you're an Olympian of those Games - a Youth Olympian. :rolleyes: And if you perform a new skill as Viktoria Komova did in Artistic Gymnastics with her Komova transitions on uneven bars, the skill is named for you, it goes in the record books. As does any record times or scores in any sport of those Games.

Sylvia

TBD
Nathalie PĂ©chalat will be in Lausanne in an official role as an Athlete Role Model:
Excerpt:
I spoke with someone from the IOC who explained what we would be doing. I’ve never taken on a role like this before. But I fully intend to be 100 per cent available between 9 and 13 January, which is when I’ll be on site. It will mostly involve talking to the young athletes, reassuring them when they slip up, congratulating them when they win, and telling them that there are no limits as to how far they can go, at least until they hang up their skates. This is a transitional stage; just because you don’t win today, it doesn’t mean you won’t win tomorrow. Just because you fail, it doesn’t mean you can’t then go on and win. It really is a learning phase. My role will be to try to instil certain values in them and maybe just reassure them about the path they’re on, give them a boost and encourage them to continue in the right way.
Original French version was published on 21 November 2019 here:

Last edited:

Gris

äžćšć„Žæ‰ćšć…Źæ°‘
From Lyssa's post on GoldenSkate

Team France

François Pitot

MaĂŻa Mazzara

CĂ©lina Fradji / Jean-Hans Fourneaux (Dance)

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Uh yep - yes she would. You compete in the Youth Olympics, you're an Olympian of those Games - a Youth Olympian. :rolleyes: And if you perform a new skill as Viktoria Komova did in Artistic Gymnastics with her Komova transitions on uneven bars, the skill is named for you, it goes in the record books. As does any record times or scores in any sport of those Games.

It makes you a youth Olympian. Not an Olympian. Which is pretty different. You can tell, since many skaters are passing up the chance. And yes, the record would go in the record books just like any other record at literally any other international competition. The YOG are not special in this way, and I believe Alysa is considered to have already completed the 4Lz and 3A in the same program in Turino. The skill wouldn’t be named for her since thus is not gymnastics.

Sasha'sSpins

đŸ‡ș🇩💙🙏💛đŸ‡ș🇩
It makes you a youth Olympian. Not an Olympian. Which is pretty different. You can tell, since many skaters are passing up the chance. And yes, the record would go in the record books just like any other record at literally any other international competition. The YOG are not special in this way, and I believe Alysa is considered to have already completed the 4Lz and 3A in the same program in Turino. The skill wouldn’t be named for her since thus is not gymnastics.

Who said anything about Alysa having a skill named for her?? The jumps, no matter how many rotations are already named - Axel, Lutz, etc. But if she were to compete and successfully complete her current jump contact she would be the first to do so at the Youth Olympics!

I'm not going to bother arguing with you anymore on what I already pointed out on the rest.

reut

Being part of Youth Olympics is a truly incredible experience. This is what I could witness as a journalist in Innsbruck and this is what every single "YOG alumnus" told me when I talked to them. It is inspiring, educational and fun. Of course, it is not "real Olympics", but it's a beautiful festival of all winter sports, with all the "attributes" the "grown up Games" have: flags, and team outfits, and opening ceremonies, and Olympic village. So it is a real pity Alysa is not coming especially when the "window" is not big and some juniors couldn't come even if they wanted (based on what I checked Kamila and Daria Usacheva are not age eligible, for example).

KrazyCatLady

Entries so far should be these, one of the countries gave back a ladies spot to first alternate Finland, but I don't know which one.

DANCE
Natalie D'Alessandro / Bruce Waddell CAN
Sofya Tyutyunina / Alexander Shustitskiy RUS
Irina Khavronina / Dario Chirizano RUS
Katarina Wolfkostin / Jeffrey Chen USA
Anna Cherniavska / Oleg Muratov UKR
Gina Zehnder / Beda Leon Sieber SUI
Utana Yoshida / Shingo Nishiyama JPN
Giulia Tuba/Andrea Tuba ITA
CAN
GEO
FRA
CZE

Congrats to Nat & Bruce, they are such great kids! Does anyone know who the second CAN Dance team is? I can't find it listed anywhere.

Colonel Green

Congrats to Nat & Bruce, they are such great kids! Does anyone know who the second CAN Dance team is? I can't find it listed anywhere.
Canada hasn’t formally announced its team (despite saying they would do so on November 26th :gallopin1 ), that’s just Natalie & Bruce announcing it by themselves.

But based on the selection criteria and Challenge results, the second team should be Miku Makita & Tyler Gunara.

shutterbug

Canada hasn’t formally announced its team (despite saying they would do so on November 26th :gallopin1 ), that’s just Natalie & Bruce announcing it by themselves.

But based on the selection criteria and Challenge results, the second team should be Miku Makita & Tyler Gunara.
Based on who's missing from the Canadian nats start orders, the other Canadian team members are likely:
Catherine Carle
McIntosh/Toste
Makita/Gunara
Aleksa Rakic (?)

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over these 2 posts from the Chinese news thread (thank you, @Gris!):
BTW, China announced their team for the Youth Olympics earlier today -- can anyone confirm that the JGP pair of Yuchen WANG / Yihang HUANG ( http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104704.htm ) are included?
Yes, and Yudong Chen too. We were only the next eligible alternate in Junior Men so there must be a country that gave up their quota.

https://www.chnzbx.com/index.php?a=nrinfo&id=9715
èŠ±æ ·æ»‘ć†°

揌äșș滑王瑀晚/黄䞀èˆȘ

ç”·ć­ć•äșș滑陈昱䞜
(Figure Skating

Pairs: Yuchen Wang / Yihang Huang
Men: Yudong Chen)
The Czech Olympic website published their announcement on Dec. 20 with their final athlete nominations document linked from here: https://www.olympic.cz/clanek/3400-...anne-se-vyrazi-v-lednu-nejvetsi-ceska-vyprava
Daniel Mrazek and Denisa Cimlova/Vilem Hlavsa (ice dance) are the 3 figure skaters listed.

Updating @sammyf's lists (bolded names are the most recently known entries), in order of country qualification as listed in this document: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/22362-isu-communication-2284/file

MEN (16 spots are filled)
Liam Kapeikis USA
Ilia Malinin USA
Andrei Mozalev RUS
Daniil Samsonov RUS
Matteo Nalbone ITA
Nikolaj Memola ITA
Aleksa Rakic CAN (not officially announced but refer to post #72 above)
François Pitot FRA
GEO (gave up their spot?)
Yuma Kagiyama JPN
AZE (gave up their spot back in October)
Daniel Mrazek CZE
Younghyun Cha KOR
Andrey Kokura UKR
Nikita Kovalenko ISR
Arlet Levandi EST
Noah Bodenstein SUI (got in as host country)
Yudong Chen CHN (got in as first alternate country)

LADIES (11 12 of 16 spots filled)
Victoria Vasilieva RUS
Kseniia Sinitsyna RUS
Hanna Harrell USA
Audrey Shin USA
Mana Kawabe JPN
Young You KOR
Catherine Carle CAN (not officially announced but refer to post #72 above)
GEO
Ekaterina Ryabova AZE - refer to @Gris' link below (thanks!)
*HUN
MaĂŻa Mazzara FRA
Alessia Tornaghi ITA
POL
Eva-Lotta Kiibus EST
*BUL
AnaĂŻs Coraducci SUI (got in as host country)
Nella Pelkonen FIN (got in as first alternate country)

*Hungary's Julia Lang (born 06.11.2003) & Regina Schermann (born 23.09.2004) are both age-eligible
*Bulgaria's Maria Levushkina is age-eligible (born 18.07.2004)

DANCE (11 of 12 spots filled)
Natalie D'Alessandro / Bruce Waddell CAN (announced on their joint Instagram account as linked in post #51)
Miku Makita /Tyler Gunara CAN (not officially announced but refer to post #72 above)
GEO
CĂ©lina Fradji / Jean-Hans Fourneaux FRA
Giulia Tuba / Andrea Tuba ITA
Denisa Cimlova/Vilem Hlavsa CZE
Gina Zehnder / Beda Leon Sieber SUI (got in as host country)

PAIRS (7 of 10 spots are filled)
Apollinariia Panfilova / Dmitry Rylov RUS
Diana Mukhametzianova / Ilya Mironov RUS
Yuchen Wang / Yihang Huang CHN
Cate Fleming / Jedidiah Isbell USA
(ISR & FRA both gave up their spots back in October)
Sofiia Nesterova / Artem Darenskyi UKR
Letizia Roscher/Luis Schuster GER
Brooke McIntosh/Brandon Toste CAN (not officially announced but refer to post #72 above)
GEO
PRK
SUI (not using their host country spot)
ITA (not using their spot)
SVK (no figure skaters are listed in their 12/18/19 YOG press release)

Last edited:

Gris

äžćšć„Žæ‰ćšć…Źæ°‘
Thank you @Sylvia for compiling! :40beers:

And after checking the Wikipedia page I found that Azerbaijan had officially named Ekaterina Ryabova.

Sylvia

TBD
Based on who's missing from the Canadian nats start orders, the other Canadian team members are likely:
Catherine Carle
McIntosh/Toste
Makita/Gunara
Aleksa Rakic (?)
Rakic's selection is confirmed here:

drfj

Copying over these 2 posts from the Chinese news thread (thank you, @Gris!):

The Czech Olympic website published their announcement on Dec. 20 with their final athlete nominations document linked from here: https://www.olympic.cz/clanek/3400-...anne-se-vyrazi-v-lednu-nejvetsi-ceska-vyprava
Daniel Mrazek and Denisa Cimlova/Vilem Hlavsa (ice dance) are the 3 figure skaters listed.

Updating @sammyf's lists (bolded names are the most recently known entries), in order of country qualification as listed in this document: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/22362-isu-communication-2284/file

MEN (16 spots are filled)
Liam Kapeikis USA
Ilia Malinin USA
Andrei Mozalev RUS
Daniil Samsonov RUS
Matteo Nalbone ITA
Nikolaj Memola ITA
Aleksa Rakic CAN (not officially announced but refer to post #72 above)
François Pitot FRA
GEO (gave up their spot?)
Yuma Kagiyama JPN
AZE (gave up their spot back in October)
Daniel Mrazek CZE
Younghyun Cha KOR
Andrey Kokura UKR
Nikita Kovalenko ISR
Arlet Levandi EST
Noah Bodenstein SUI (got in as host country)
Yudong Chen CHN (got in as first alternate country)

LADIES (11 12 of 16 spots filled)
Victoria Vasilieva RUS
Kseniia Sinitsyna RUS
Hanna Harrell USA
Audrey Shin USA
Mana Kawabe JPN
Young You KOR
Catherine Carle CAN (not officially announced but refer to post #72 above)
GEO
Ekaterina Ryabova AZE - refer to @Gris' link below (thanks!)
*HUN
MaĂŻa Mazzara FRA
Alessia Tornaghi ITA
POL
Eva-Lotta Kiibus EST
*BUL
AnaĂŻs Coraducci SUI (got in as host country)
Nella Pelkonen FIN (got in as first alternate country)

*Hungary's Julia Lang (born 06.11.2003) & Regina Schermann (born 23.09.2004) are both age-eligible
*Bulgaria's Maria Levushkina is age-eligible (born 18.07.2004)

DANCE (11 of 12 spots filled)
Natalie D'Alessandro / Bruce Waddell CAN (announced on their joint Instagram account as linked in post #51)
Miku Makita /Tyler Gunara CAN (not officially announced but refer to post #72 above)
GEO
CĂ©lina Fradji / Jean-Hans Fourneaux FRA
Giulia Tuba / Andrea Tuba ITA
Denisa Cimlova/Vilem Hlavsa CZE
Gina Zehnder / Beda Leon Sieber SUI (got in as host country)

PAIRS (7 of 10 spots are filled)
Apollinariia Panfilova / Dmitry Rylov RUS
Diana Mukhametzianova / Ilya Mironov RUS
Yuchen Wang / Yihang Huang CHN
Cate Fleming / Jedidiah Isbell USA
(ISR & FRA both gave up their spots back in October)
Sofiia Nesterova / Artem Darenskyi UKR
Letizia Roscher/Luis Schuster GER
Brooke McIntosh/Brandon Toste CAN (not officially announced but refer to post #72 above)
GEO
PRK
SUI (not using their host country spot)
ITA (not using their spot)
SVK (no figure skaters are listed in their 12/18/19 YOG press release)
Hungarian entry for Lausanne is Regina Schermann

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Happy for Anna; sad for Viktoria.

Patrick Chan will be an Athlete Role Model (like Nathalie PĂ©chalat) in Lausanne:

ISU's December 30th article:
All Figure Skating competitions will be live streamed on ISU.ORG.

For more information please visit the Olympic Channel.

Tinami Amori

It looks like Anna Frolova is going instead of Viktoria Vasilieva: https://olympic.ru/upload/2019/12/Sostav-Olimpijskoj-komandy-Rossii-Lozanna-2020.pdf (page 6)
Anna Frolova came in 6th place at Russian Nationals. She was 5th in FS, with total score of 199.29 points.

A small update on Frolova. 3 weeks before Russian Nationals last week, she abruptly left Panova's group (where she skated with Sinitsina and Tarakanova) and quickly transferred to Davydov's group at CSKA. She is still skating her original season's SP and FS, but looks very improved compared to earlier fall performances (181.96). While RN results are "home judging", many noted the improvement in her skating regardless of point total.

Vasilieva is also at CSKA, Davydov's group (just FYI), so the replacement does not look like "clubs's competition issue".
ETA: Vasilieva also has not fully recovered from her illness.

Last edited:

beaver_fan

Canadian Team

Figure Skating
Catherine Carle (Georgetown, ON)
Natalie D’Alessandro (Toronto, ON)
Tyler Gunara (Burnaby, BC)
Miku Makita (Anore, BC)
Brooke McIntosh (Toronto, ON)
Aleksa Rakic (New Westminster, BC)
Brandon Toste (Mississauga, ON)
Bruce Waddell (Toronto, ON)

Sylvia

TBD
I've been checking Skate Canada's website but they haven't published their own YOG press release yet.
D'Alessandro/Waddell are pictured in this tweet:

Re-posting from the U.S. Men's thread and the YOG competition thread in Kiss & Cry:
Unfortunately, Ilia Malinin has withdrawn from the Youth Olympics :( - his name is no longer listed in the ISU entries as of today. He was included in USFS' press release dated January 6th so it must have been too late to replace him, what a shame.

Sylvia

TBD
Can you post the link?
Canadian Team

Figure Skating
Catherine Carle (Georgetown, ON)
Natalie D’Alessandro (Toronto, ON)
Tyler Gunara (Burnaby, BC)
Miku Makita (Anore, BC)
Brooke McIntosh (Toronto, ON)
Aleksa Rakic (New Westminster, BC)
Brandon Toste (Mississauga, ON)
Bruce Waddell (Toronto, ON)
ETA that I assume the skaters' names & hometowns are copied from the downloadable link titled "Lausanne 2020 Delegation" at https://olympic.ca/press-resources/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information