The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Happy 22nd birthday to Shoma! 🎂🎉🎊
Wish things go better at Nats!! 🥳 🙏:cheer2:

BD cake from his brother Tatsuki.

Seems he was back in Japan on Dec 15th.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
It's announced today that Shoma was selected as one of the torchbearers for Tokyo 2020 Olys. He'll run in Aichi prefecture where he was born. :cheer2:

(my rough translation of his comment)
I was five years old when I met figure skating for the first time. Since then I've been really into this sport which gives me a magical feeling of gliding to musics on the ice.

Since I was in and out of hospitals repeatedly when I was little, my parents gave me chances to experience various sports wishing my body would be stronger. Although I'm not gifted with an ideal body type as an athlete, I think I could reach where I am now with my indomitable spirit, endeavor and patience. My body grew at a slow pace. I had a long period when things didn't go well. In those days I tried to keep positive with lots of patience and endeavor. I always said to myself "I can make it no matter what!" I believe it lead me to the silver at 2018 PyeongChang Olys.

By running as a torchbearer I wish I can share the feeling I said above with people who are working hard aiming at various goals. Also I wish I can show my gratitude to my family, people around me and fans who have supported me up to today.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Seems Shoma's new main coach is Lambiel.

Shoma: With all the mess I started this season. But now things are being settled. I dunno whether the announcement is coming yet. So I dunno I can say something today. But maybe everyone is guessing I'll move to Lambiel. Maybe I should not announce it yet. But I have said it already. hahahahaha :saint:

:rofl:

S

SmallFairy

Awww, he's too cute! No one is happier than me that Shoma is not coachless anymore. And no one is happier than me that he found a place where he's happy to train, and feels comfortable. Stephane is a really nice guy. BUT is there a technical coach on his team? Vassilievs' technique has detoriated since moving to Stephane, and Shoma's jump technique is quite shady to begin with. He needs a jump coach on regular basis. I do hope amazing choreo and programs will come out of it though :cheer2:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Awww, he's too cute! No one is happier than me that Shoma is not coachless anymore. And no one is happier than me that he found a place where he's happy to train, and feels comfortable. Stephane is a really nice guy. BUT is there a technical coach on his team? Vassilievs' technique has detoriated since moving to Stephane, and Shoma's jump technique is quite shady to begin with. He needs a jump coach on regular basis. I do hope amazing choreo and programs will come out of it though :cheer2:
Agreed with everything that you said!

Shoma drew 1st to skate in the 4th group (2nd G from the final G). Here is a live streaming link. It's just finished but you can still watch it by rewinding.

ETA:
Fuji TV uploaded the recorded video of the draws on YT.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Twitter report (by a Japanese figure skating magazine) said Shoma landed clean 4F, 4S and 4T as well as Daisuke landed clean 4T during today's official practice.

Wish Shoma will put things together at Nats! 🙏

Photos from the draw:

photos from today's official practice

This article says Shoma checked 4 different quads during today's official practice. Maybe 4Lo?

kittyjake5

Good Luck to Shoma I really hope that he can defend his Title! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Thrilled about his decision to train with Steph. I know there was talk
at earlier in the season that Shoma hired Honda as his jump coach but not sure how that would
work out for him now as he will be spending his training time in Switzerland.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
4T and 4Lo from yesterday's official practice. Looks he's getting into good shape.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
(my rough translation)
Q: Looking back SP?
A: So much happy. Happy is the best word to describe how I feel now.

Q: Fists up after finishing the program?
A: I haven't done any clean programs since last season. It was such a tough time. Preparations didn't go well this season, too. I couldn't leave satisfiable results. Although it was just a short program, I was so happy to skate so well today.

Q: You received good GOEs.
A: This season I've struggled with my 4F. So happy to nail that good 4F in a competition. I've been through tough time. Looking back, I feel it was a nice experience for me.

Q: FS?
A: I want to show a good program. I want to finish my long program like I did today. I'll do my best focusing on the things right in front of me.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
(my rough translation)
Shoma: I'm happy. It's the first word which comes to my mind. Finally I'm back to my usual self.

(about he did 4T-2T instead of 4T-3T) I pulled it again. However, I could leave the mistake behind [during the program].

(about Lambiel) He makes me enjoy skating during training. I naturally feel I want to compete together with him.

(about advice from Lambiel) "Energy!" "Fight with a good self-confidence!"

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Seems Fuji TV blocked every YT video of top 3 finishers and posted their official video instead.

Wish all the best for tomorrow's FS. 🙏🤞

ETA:
I was glad that he hit all Lv4 for spins and stsq in SP as he used to do. Also, look at the landing of his 3A, it looks he fixed (or in the process of fixing at least) his unideal habit of landing. After Eteri's camp he looked improving in landing but he lost the improvement during the coach-less term. I didn't expect that he re-started fixing his landing under Lambiel in this short term. I'm expecting it will lead him to make his preparation motions more compact between his first jump and the second jump in combos like 4T-3T. Nice vibe is coming. (y)

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Congrats to Shoma for winning 4 straight National titile!! :wuzrobbed :cheer2::wuzrobbed:cheer2:

Briefly summarizing what I caught from the interview done by Fuji TV just after FS:

-It was a surprising win. Didn't expect this.
-Skaters including Hanyu left points on the table this time. As a result I won the title.
-If I'm given a spot for Worlds, I want to show good programs there. I want to be well prepared.
-This season I planned to go on my own. But it was so tough. It was not competing but preparing on my own that was so tough.
-Lambiel made me re-discover figure skating is fun.
-I didn't think I can meet someone else other than Coach Higuchi to whom I feel so much thankful. What he did for me was so much appreciated.
-I want to work hard to prepare for Worlds so that I can enjoy skating there.
-National is the competition where I feel nervous more than at Worlds [since the crowed is even bigger than Worlds].

ETA:
results (1.Shoma 2.Hanyu 3.Kagiyama (Jr)
protocols (FS)

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I am really happy for Shoma :cheer2:after the season he has been having, the national title can be quite nice self-confidence boost.

I am low-key missing seeing him in velvet pants, did someone mean told him that velvet makes you look fat :drama: or what?
Or he just wanted to make his costumes lighter or something... like to make his costume having a different taste from older ones? Since it seems he has enough economic room to change costumes frequently thanks to sponsor companies including Toyota etc these days, he may make another costume with velvet pants. :)

Happy to see he is recovering his self-confidence! :cheer:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I’m dancing with you😍😍😍
:cheer2:

Did you see this scene where lots of people came to Shoma to say "You did great!" after SP. I can recognize Ms. Sato (Yuka's mom), Reiko Kobayashi (former one of Mao's coaches) and Junko Hiramatsu (former ISU member) among them. Nice to see everyone was happy/relieved to see Shoma recovered from the struggle. 🤩 :lol:

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
FS vid

Looked he was still in the process of recovering from the struggle but it was nice to see he was almost in his former form. In the K'nC he talked about the obvious mistake on 4T-1eu-1F. He said like "Oh, that 1F! My bad." laughing. They'll work on the things he left on the table at Nats.

kittyjake5

:cheer2:

Did you see this scene where lots of people came to Shoma to say "You did great!" after SP. I can recognize Ms. Sato (Yuka's mom), Reiko Kobayashi (former one of Mao's coaches) and Junko Hiramatsu (former ISU member) among them. Nice to see everyone was happy/relieved to see Shoma recovered from the struggle. 🤩 :lol:

It is obvious that Shoma is loved and respected in the Japanese skating community. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information