Christmas cookies and other holiday baked goods

oleada

I want to bring some to a Christmas party next week and I am sorely lacking in inspiration. Brownies/bars of some sort are good too. Plus, husband is gifting me a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas which gets here tomorrow so I’m itching to try it out. Any tried and true suggestions? I am partial to anything chocolate.

MsZem

I see the sea
I want to bring some to a Christmas party next week and I am sorely lacking in inspiration. Brownies/bars of some sort are good too. Plus, husband is gifting me a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas which gets here tomorrow so I’m itching to try it out. Any tried and true suggestions? I am partial to anything chocolate.
Do I need to post the Nutella cookie recipe yet again?

You can try world peace cookies, they're fabulous:

oleada

Do I need to post the Nutella cookie recipe yet again?

You can try world peace cookies, they're fabulous:
YES! Because I was thinking of them the other day and I couldn’t find them.

MsZem

I see the sea
Pro tip: if you lose the recipe again, just search for Nutella with my username :D
But do consider the other ones, because they really are conducive to peace on earth - and what's more seasonal than that?

oleada

Pro tip: if you lose the recipe again, just search for Nutella with my username :D
But do consider the other ones, because they really are conducive to peace on earth - and what's more seasonal than that?
I do love the name. And the chocolate 😍

flyingsit

Ghirardelli double chocolate shortbread. Can’t link right now but if you search you’ll find them. Easy and so good.

Anemone

Magic Squares (aka Hello Dollies, Magic Cookie Bars, 7-layer Magic Bars & who knows how many other names) are quick & easy too, and usually well-liked. They always disappear very quickly when I take them to anything.
This time of year, I usually substitute dried cranberries instead of the nuts, whose red colour gives them a nice holiday-ish twist.

Glide2

We used the recipe on the package of gingerbread people cookie cutters. And with the help of a new rolling pin had two types, snaps (turned off the oven and left them in a few minutes longer) and frosted soft cookies. It's only two or thee minutes cooking time difference. I love fresh nutmeg and found that the scraper wasn't as good as using a vegetable peeler. I meant to save a few mini chocolate chips for eyes but used them all for chocolate and spice cookies with walnuts. Again it's a roll out dough. So yeah, I've had those cookie cutters for years and this is the first use! Will definitely use again. And we used a biscuit cutter to make the round choc cookies made with nutmeg and cinnamon, butter and cream cheese, mini choc chips and cocoa, one egg, flour and sugar. I didn't have brown sugar in house. We added a little applesauce. These were good sprinkled with powdered sugar. It looks good and tastes even better the second or third day. Can't tell you if any of them freeze well, cause it didn't make it there. My alternative lower carb recipes use Carbquik and stevia.

Susan1

I see "Christmas cookies" and this is what comes to mind.

These are a little labor-intensive and require a lot of ingredients, but if you already cook or bake and keep these kind of ingredients on hand, you shouldn't have any problem.
Back in the day, my friend Peggy made these for our skating club party, along with a whole tray of different cookies, and I wanted to eat all of the chocolate covered cherry cookies myself. (I took no-bake cookies. Sheesh.) Then she made them for my birthday (October, so they don't have to be Christmas cookies) - brought them to me in one of those big popcorn tins to Olive Garden! And then when I was home with my broken leg.

When I went to make them myself, I had to buy all the ingredients. I don't cook, and I was stuck with all the leftover flour and baking powder and stuff for the rest of my life (ha ha). She said you can make the cookie dough one day and keep it in the refrigerator till the next day so you don't have to do everything at once. The best part is the cherry and the icing get baked on top of the cookie! (I'm drooling here. :) )

flyingsit

I've never made gingerbread cookies and want to try, but I'm not sure which recipe to try -- I have a King Arthur book with many, many different versions. I want them on the soft side with not TOO aggressive a flavor (and I'm going to leave out the cloves no matter what because I hate cloves). Anyone have a go-to recipe?

Kecasyl

Mint Oreo Brownies. These are excellent

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member

myhoneyhoney

This reminded me of colkies I used to biy at the grocery store years ago: Cashew Nougat cookies. I can't remember the brand, maybe Archway? I would love to try a recipe of these cookies, if anyone has one.

Spun Silver

Same! This looks amazing!
Please report back! I have a niece who is a Nutella addict. I usually make her Nutella brownies but a two-ingredient cake sounds so me! (I used to love the three-ingredient recipes in RealSimple magazine.) I would love to add it to my repertory but only if it's really good.

oleada

I think my world peace cookies are a fail :fragile: I'm not sure what went wrong - overworked the dough? Cut them too thick? Husband says they don't taste fully cooked.

I also made these with Christmas colored sprinkles and they were easy and fun to make, and turned out very well, so at least I have something.

clairecloutier

I think my world peace cookies are a fail :fragile: I'm not sure what went wrong - overworked the dough? Cut them too thick? Husband says they don't taste fully cooked.

I also made these with Christmas colored sprinkles and they were easy and fun to make, and turned out very well, so at least I have something.

What's the consistency of the confetti cookies? Soft, dry/crisp, or in-between?

oleada

What's the consistency of the confetti cookies? Soft, dry/crisp, or in-between?
They were soft just out of the oven which is how I had them! (And how I like them).

I think the colors and the process of making them - rolling into balls, rolling them in sprinkles - would be fun for kids. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information