Cipres accused of sexual misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Not sanctioning what happened. It is sick. Men have to be so careful. Like never being alone with a student.

Yes, men have to be careful. As in, being careful not to be harassers and careful not to send dick pics to underage girls. The problem is not men being alone with students and being unjustly accused, which is what you seem to be implying.

feraina

Just so you know the person behind that account has asked for their tweets not to be posted on figure skating forums in case their abuser finds them, I would delete the link and summarize the main points.

@feraina @BaileyCatts could you also please delete the direct link?
Sorry I’m confused. Whose abuser finding whom? Who CB direct link are you talking about?

binbinwinwin

Sorry I’m confused. Whose abuser finding whom? Who CB direct link are you talking about?

The Twitter quoted in this post, while the content of what they talk about is very important they have specifically asked not to directly post their twitter onto public figure skating forums

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Not sanctioning what happened. It is sick. Men have to be so careful. Like never being alone with a student.
No men do not have to be careful. They have to behave decently and stop doing stupid things. He should not have done this or even considered doing this.

The others are culpable for not doing anything after a complaint was lodged and trying to brush it under the carpet.

This line is saying that men cannot help themselves so they can't be held accountable for their behaviour. It is up to others to stop then.

Haven't you been following #metoo?

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Why on earth did the French Fed send a second pair to Florida last summer? The lady is not even 18yo and you send her there and fund part of the training. Don't tell me they did not know what was going on then?
Morgan and Vanessa were not in Florida when Cleo and Denys trained there. But when they went back to France, they had no official coach and were trained by... Morgan in Bercy for more than one month. This was of course done with the FFSG approval. It was even some kind of official test for Morgan as he plans/planned to become an elite pair skating coach :wall:

As far as I know Cipres is currently in Europe. I doubt he'll ever set foot again in the US except if forced to by extradition. The US and France have an extradition agreement. But I don't know how it works. I assume the US can ask France to send him back, but can France refuse or is the country legally obliged to comply ?

feraina

while the content of what they talk about is very important they have specifically asked not to directly post their twitter onto public figure skating forums
Ok thanks. I deleted it. But I must say I’m kinda confused. It’s a public twitter account. If there’s any concern about privacy why did the person post on Twitter? They could just delete their tweets if they don’t want anyone to see them. What’s special about skating forums? Don’t tons of people retweet each other in the skating world anyway?

Vagabond

The Twitter quoted in this post, while the content of what they talk about is very important they have specifically asked not to directly post their twitter onto public figure skating forums
While I am sympathetic to the request, the Tweet is itself a public post. If the person who posted it did not want it to be discussed elsewhere, he or she could have kept the post private or not even used Twitter at all.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
The post you quoted was responding to a post that did just that (well, male pairs skaters with notably younger partners).

This is not a zero sum game. The main goal has to be protecting vulnerable skaters and making sport safe for everyone. Doing so does not require us to perpetuate harmful stereotypes.

And doing so does not assume that all victims are female. We hear of male victims plenty in this sport. All victims deserve our compassion and support, not derision or assumptions because they are boys in figure skating they must be predators, or the fact that girls are treated so horribly in so many cases as the example in this one shows. Girls and boys are victims of horrible people regardless. Tell that to my 7 year old son who skates @coppertop1 --that he'll just end up a sexual predator being in this sport. I've been told that because he is a boy of course he will be a rapist one day. Perpetuating that bullshit is horrible.

I am so appalled at Zimmerman and Fontana. I always thought they were decent people. I hope everyone gets in very big trouble and some major bans are handed out and if convicted far more than that...

Viscaro

The US and France have an extradition agreement. But I don't know how it works. I assume the US can ask France to send him back, but can France refuse or is the country legally obliged to comply ?
France almost never extrades its citizens. I think the few cases of French extraditions (includes the Brussels museum terrorist) have been because of the Shengen agreement, which the US has no part of. France has no need to comply.
In some criminal cases though a French court might decides it can judge acts that happened on foreign soil because either the victim or the perpetrator is French (has been applied to pedophilia tourism I think). But I do not think he risks much in France.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
No men do not have to be careful. They have to behave decently and stop doing stupid things. He should not have done this or even considered doing this.

The others are culpable for not doing anything after a complaint was lodged and trying to brush it under the carpet.

This line is saying that men cannot help themselves so they can't be held accountable for their behaviour. It is up to others to stop then.

Haven't you been following #metoo?

I completely agree about men needing to be decent. Even decent men can be accused...hence the extra careful. Think of a man teaching pairs lifts and demonstrating where the hands go. Having a second adult there is important in this day and age.

This entire thing is disgusting. What is wrong with people? OK the one guy is a pervert. But telling someone not to report?

You leave your child with people you trust to keep them safe. To make sure they are not hurt while throwing themselves in the air and landing on one blade. And then this. Who besides that weirdo in Congress thinks it is good idea to send people pictures of your penis?

Sylvia

TBD
Statement is included in Brennan's latest tweet:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@AxelAnnie none of this situation happened on the ice, and none of it involved male pairs coaches putting their hands inappropriately on their students. You keep saying that this situation is wrong, that dick pics are wrong, etc. etc., but you also keep bringing up this completely irrelevant and wrong sh!t about "decent men" being "wrongly accused".

Take a seat and STFU.

skatfan

ALL ADULTS need to follow this, not just men. It's for everyone's protection.

edited to add: this also goes for social media - no adult should be privately texting/messaging anything to a minor without cc'ing their parents/guardians. Sheesh. This is so easy.

martyross

Statement is included in Brennan's latest tweet:
thank you Sylvia.
the coaches deny everything which involve them. no mention of their pupil.
it's a business matter for them, they probably have lawyers who have already thought of a strategy. they may come up with this. the evidence about the pervert appears to be clear. they'll wash hands of him. he's going to stay in France anyway. they could somehow prove that Zimmerman is being framed for pressuring the girl, they could whine about some "unknown party" who wants to ruin his career, taking advantage of the pervert's shit to tear down him and his skaters. (they have a new male champion now.) something like what Coughlin's parents said in that infamous interview. they immediately tried to paint themselves as the "shocked" victims of false allegations.
no one will be able to identify the unknown party. they can save face by repeating this over and over. the pervert will take all the blame, will not be prosecuted and everything will be silenced.
i don't know. i'm just bleeding for this story and deeply ashamed to be italian like Fontana right now.

skateboy

This is grossly unfair to the majority of young men in skating. They already deal with many people assuming that they’re gay because they skate. Now we have another group assuming that they must be sexual predators.

If someone assumes a young man is gay, it is presumptuous but there is no shame in that, is there? On the other hand, sexual predators are dangerous criminals.

I'm sure you did not mean that comment to be derogatory against gay men, but it does come across as quite a sad comparison.

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

Okay so now I'm confused. The article states that

On Aug. 10, 2019, a friend of the family reported the allegation to SafeSport after reading three-time U.S. champion and 2014 Olympic team bronze medalist Ashley Wagner’s story of alleged sexual abuse in USA TODAY Sports on Aug. 1.

But the quote from John/Silvia/Vinny just released by Christine Brennan states that they have not been contacted by Safe Sport, a simple fact that can be verified if they were or not. So Safe Sport has had this allegation for 4 months and never contacted John/Silvia/Vinny? For almost 4 months?

ETA: I edited this post after someone quoted me and I did not see they quoted me before I did. I added "a simple fact that can be verified if they were or not".

Last edited:

Orm Irian

It begs the question what’s been going on in Vinny Dispenza’s lessons. How does the conversation get around to dick pics?

It gets around to dick pics because the coach takes it there, deliberately. As I said before, it's a grooming strategy. The odds are quite high that Dispenza was targeting those two girls himself and this incident was part of an escalating pattern. What's not evident is whether there were two separate predators at that rink, or two predators working together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information