From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Mad for Skating

To me, “classic” beauty can mean a lot of things in different countries. In the USA, for example, “classic beauty” might bring up images of Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn. When I was thinking of American figure skaters with “classic beauty”, Gracie popped into my head because she has that Old Hollywood movie star look. However, as an Asian person, I might also call Eunsoo Lim or Yuna Kim a “classic beauty” because they have stunning features that would make them movie stars in Korea. I have a friend from India who would probably be considered a “classic beauty” because she looks like a Bollywood star.

To be honest, I’d say most of the skaters are very attractive people and could sell cosmetics, “classic beauty” or not.

Now, back to Russian skating?

Finsta

Most girls do wear make up. Not in my university though. Probably we are running out for class and not looking best. I had forgotten Daleman’s make up too. I wasn’t comparing though. I was only responding to the cruel insult of US skaters and when someone pointed out how make up can make anyone pretty I was agreed and realizing how much make up Alina actually does wear. Which is a lot. She’s cute without it but looks much different. Probably like most females and a filter on Snapchat apps.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I wore more makeup at 16 than I do now. It’s a way to look “grownup” and “glamorous” in teenagers’ minds. And pretty much every skater lady I’ve seen off-ice wears a lot.

That said, the Russian women in Israel wear twice as much makeup as the rest of the population combined.

clairecloutier

I don't know about off the ice, but skaters certainly wear a ton of makeup on the ice, especially the ice dancers. And when you see their competition makeup looks up close--like in the mixed zone--it is quite amazing what they can do with their makeup. I do feel like cosmetics companies + figure skating could be a natural match when it comes to endorsements, a la Zagitova's Shiseido deal. A cosmetics company could do some interesting YouTube videos or pictorial articles on skaters' makeup.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Well, thanks to Zagitova's instagram I learned how to report the comments and accounts on instagram. Sincerely hope she is not the one managing it and not the one reading the comments.

Tinami Amori

Last edited:

Perky Shae Lynn

Well, thanks to Zagitova's instagram I learned how to report the comments and accounts on instagram. Sincerely hope she is not the one managing it and not the one reading the comments.
Zagitova is young, sweet and innocent. I am not a fan of her skating, but any personal attacks are idiotic. Same goes for Medvedeva. A beautiful, vibrant, talented young woman gets hate because she exists. There are no winners in fanbase wars. Wish some of our resident haters would learn that.

Tinami Amori

Bobrova/Soloviev will perform in Averbuch's (another) winter ice show "Morozko".
The fairy tale of "Morozko" is not well known outside of Russia, it is translated as "Jack Frost" but it is not the same as known in USA, in the 1960 it was made into a film, here is the story.

Radionova and Tuktamysheva skated at an outdoor rink, in Sokolniki Park, to the music theme from the cartoon "Frozen 2".

starrynight

I wore more makeup at 16 than I do now. It’s a way to look “grownup” and “glamorous” in teenagers’ minds. And pretty much every skater lady I’ve seen off-ice wears a lot.

That said, the Russian women in Israel wear twice as much makeup as the rest of the population combined.

I'm sure that many skaters choose to be tiffed to the max when they are at events and will be having their photo taken. Makeup is the kind of thing that once you start with it, if you stop, people say 'oh are you sick?' ha ha Putting all the makeup on is probably also a psychological thing to ready themselves for the game of competition or being out in public at events.

I've heard that Russian women are very well groomed. Although fair play to them managing a lot of makeup in Israel. I live in a hot country, and if you are not just spending all your time in air-conditioning, any large amount of makeup (like heavy foundation or heavy eyeshadow) melts right off your face and looks worse!

Tinami Amori

Zagitova is young, sweet and innocent. I am not a fan of her skating, but any personal attacks are idiotic. Same goes for Medvedeva. A beautiful, vibrant, talented young woman gets hate because she exists. There are no winners in fanbase wars. Wish some of our resident haters would learn that.
Don't piggy back and equate the situation with "Zagitova" to "Medvedeva", it's not fair by any standards.
Zagitova started to receive "hate" on her social media and negativity against her distributed by "parties interested in another girl remaining a champion" the DAY SHE WON Europeans, and later Olympics, from "the other girl".

Lipnitskaya stated it clearly on National TV during the Olympic coverage of FS and award ceremony. I posted a link with her video and words few pages before.

Zagitova was simply hated for winning, and received physical threats. Medvedeva was critiqued for her "actions" after the Olympics. Right or wrong, there is a difference between "hating for winning" and critiquing "actions". What happened between "acute fans" later is a derivative, and yes, it's not pretty. Zagitova's haters do not have any valid accusations against Zagitova, she did not say or do anything wrong, except winning.

It is a fact that there are financially and strategically interested parties, who are using unsport-like methods, to keep Medvedeva artificially afloat, and that's why last year Tuktamysheva was thrown "under the bus", along with other skaters, by having to skate in an unprecedented "Russian Cup Finals" for the world team place. It's an issue that was addressed in several sport-publications, including RIA/r-sport, by respectable journalist Samokhvalov, who called his article "Mafia won".

I hope this all comes out in the open, some day. What's going on is a damage not just to Russian Figure Skating, but the principles of any sport.

There is no excuse for organized hate against a skater, in this case Zagitova, for "winning" from others' favorite". I clearly remember the situation with Lipinsky and Kwan when Lipinsky won the Olympics, and it fails in comparison.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
It wasn't hate that I reported but an explicitly sexual content. Someone is seriously sick writing all his sexual fantasies as a comment to a 17y.o. girl.

Perky Shae Lynn

Don't piggy back and equate the situation with "Zagitova" to "Medvedeva", it's not fair by any standards.
Zagitova started to receive "hate" on her social media and negativity against her distributed by "parties interested in another girl remaining a champion" the DAY SHE WON Europeans, and later Olympics, from "the other girl".
STOP. JUST STOP. YOU ARE A HOPELESS HATER. YOU ARE PUTTING MEDVEDEVA IN DANGER. JUST STOP.

hanca

Values her privacy
The fairy tale of "Morozko" is not well known outside of Russia, it is translated as "Jack Frost" but it is not the same as known in USA, in the 1960 it was made into a film, here is the story.
I think it is more known in Europe than you think, especially in countries that were in close cooperation with Russian in the past. This fairy tale was playing every year around the Christmas. In fact, I can’t imagine Christmas without it and when I moved here, I brought it on DVD to be able to have ‘a proper Christmas’.
We were brainwashed with plenty of your rubbish films, but this one is one of the best ones from your films we have seen. And also the cartoon about the wolf and hare (Nu Pagadi!).

Tinami Amori

STOP. JUST STOP. YOU ARE A HOPELESS HATER. YOU ARE PUTTING MEDVEDEVA IN DANGER. JUST STOP.
No! you stop, dragging in "medvedeva the victim" into Zagitova's issues. There is no comparison! 15 year old Zagitova, was and still is attacked for winning fair and square. Her only wrong-doing in the eyes of interested parties is "winning" from "another".

If this situation ever comes to surface in full details, it will be clear "who is David and who is Goliath". So far the information was cleverly manipulated for the listeners outside of Russia, and the one who is thought to be "David" is really not.... :lol:

anonymoose_au

Sorry .....not going to go into the individual teams who scored too high on those elements. I just maintain there is not enough difference between average clean and WoW. Judges are using GOE's like they do PCS. And Goe's are supposed to be what they see on that day for that team for that element not if they sometimes miss it. If a newbie pair team does a huge clean throw they should get a 5 period.

Quoted for truth! Only a few pairs should get huge GOEs for their split twists. I remember T/M getting practically the same overall points for their stunning twist as a team where the lady crashed down on the man's shoulder! It could totally be seen in real time! What even, judges?

Bigbird

No! you stop, dragging in "medvedeva the victim" into Zagitova's issues. There is no comparison! 15 year old Zagitova, was and still is attacked for winning fair and square. Her only wrong-doing in the eyes of interested parties is "winning" from "another".

If this situation ever comes to surface in full details, it will be clear "who is David and who is Goliath". So far the information was cleverly manipulated for the listeners outside of Russia, and the one who is thought to be "David" is really not.... :lol:
My mom always taught me go toe to toe with a raving lunatic and you may be perceived as one. We have an ignore button, let's use it liberally.

Tinami Amori

My mom always taught me go toe to toe with a raving lunatic and you may be perceived as one. We have an ignore button, let's use it liberally.
People always claim that the one who speaks the unwanted, is a raving lunatic. That was a tactic in Soviet Union - people who spoke against the system were declared "insane" and placed in insane asylums... and look where the "soviet system is now".. ;)

zebraswan

Every so often I check to see if there is any actual skating conversation here, but no, it's all about makeup, how pretty skater X is, popularity, fanwars...:drama:

Thanks to the World's Oldest Teenager (the only one alive actually born in the USSR!) for ruining this forum.

anonymoose_au

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Lipnitskaya stated it clearly on National TV during the Olympic coverage of FS and award ceremony. I posted a link with her video and words few pages before.

Zagitova was simply hated for winning, and received physical threats. Medvedeva was critiqued for her "actions" after the Olympics. Right or wrong, there is a difference between "hating for winning" and critiquing "actions". What happened between "acute fans" later is a derivative, and yes, it's not pretty. Zagitova's haters do not have any valid accusations against Zagitova, she did not say or do anything wrong, except winning.

It is a fact that there are financially and strategically interested parties, who are using unsport-like methods, to keep Medvedeva artificially afloat, and that's why last year Tuktamysheva was thrown "under the bus", along with other skaters, by having to skate in an unprecedented "Russian Cup Finals" for the world team place. It's an issue that was addressed in several sport-publications, including RIA/r-sport, by respectable journalist Samokhvalov, who called his article "Mafia won".

I hope this all comes out in the open, some day. What's going on is a damage not just to Russian Figure Skating, but the principles of any sport.

There is no excuse for organized hate against a skater, in this case Zagitova, for "winning" from others' favorite". I clearly remember the situation with Lipinsky and Kwan when Lipinsky won the Olympics, and it fails in comparison.

I have to disagree with you about Medvedeva. When she was winning, there were many hateful posts about her. It was like she had no skills at all. She was just 16 and 17 when she won her two world titles and it was because she was tougher than her competition. For her age she had good posture, lines, which improved when she turned 19. That is not unusual for a young skater. Medevedeva was hated by many posters long before she went to Orser.

I have not been paying attention to what kind of hate Zagitova has been receiving, but the point is that neither of them deserves the hate.

puglover

Tuk, Medvedeva, Zagitova have all stuck around and they are so much more interesting as skaters now with a little more life under their belts. I remember a tiny Tuk making her first appearance at Skate Canada and winning it easily and poor Rod Black actually running out of superlatives. Not an easy thing to do with him. Now when I watch these three I remember the struggles and disappointments they have faced and on the huge world stage no less, so their successes speak of grit and determination and courage. Now I really enjoy them - and Tuk - you go girl - land that quad! And if not - you are already a role model for persevering and believing in yourself. And a big "BOO" to their detractors.

zoe111

Totally agree. Timami your issues with Medvedeva have started to cross the line. As we discovered on an earlier exchange over your take on Kostornaia, you don’t know these people personally. Which makes the trolling with purported inside information, whether good or bad, almost stalker like in nature. You have zero personal insight to Medvedeva or Zagitova or the rest of those girls. And if you do know them personally, you have massively broken a confidence. So. Just. Stop it. As this poster pointed out, you could be putting this girl in danger

mjb52

I wish this thread didn't always get so flat-out weird and that we could spend a pleasant time talking about the incredible quantity of talented Russian skaters, so many that it is almost overwhelming at times, in peace and quiet for just a little while. Wouldn't that be lovely? We are so lucky to have them, why not just enjoy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information