From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

hanca

Values her privacy
It is interesting that there are pairs who don’t have anything to do with each other, possibly even don’t get on and no one would know, and then there are others who make it so obvious. For example, Savchenko mentioned in one interview that she and Szolkowy were not really friends off ice, and yet watching them at the competitions, I wouldn’t know about this. Same with Kavaguti/Smirnov. Both pairs managed to keep the relationship very professional and those things came out only long after they retired. And then there are pairs who step on the ice and everyone knows they don’t get on. Mukhortova/Trankov, Stolbova/Klimov...

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

It is interesting that there are pairs who don’t have anything to do with each other, possibly even don’t get on and no one would know, and then there are others who make it so obvious.

:D
In this interview Yuko Kawaguchi said she found a solution: To sit down and drink with her partner, it's the best way to become friends in Russia, it makes people closer and happier, more relaxed and willing to communicate. One day riding a train from the competition we were in the same compartment on a 12 hour ride, so we drank, and finally talked. We learned so much about each other..
В какой-то момент я поняла: чтобы наладить с Сашей контакт, надо вместе выпить. Это самый простой способ завести дружбу в России. Когда человек выпьет, он становится веселее, общительнее, расслабляется.
Во время одного из гастрольных туров, уже после Сочи, мы оказались вдвоем в купе в поезде, ехать часов 12, что делать — выпили немного и, наконец, поболтали. Столько всего удивительного узнали друг о друге...

She also said that she was learning 3A and quads back in the days when she skated in singles.
I also tried 3A and quad toe. Were landing both. Back then in Japan they already understood: quads will absolutely become part of Ladies Singles.
"Я тоже пробовала тройной аксель и четверной тулуп. Приземляла оба. В Японии уже тогда понимали: четверные прыжки обязательно придут в женское катание."

Tinami Amori

A recent Moskvina interview got translated by the FS Gossips folks:
I regret to say, that while this is a somewhat ok translation, most of it is done probably in google-translate, has quite a few errors and lack of exactness of meaning. Also some of the casual phrases lost their meaning, besides few phrases which supposed to be rejections like "not" or "did not" and appear as "did" or some form of affirmative.

mjb52

The part where Moskvina was talking about why she prefers St. Petersburg to Moscow and the interviewer asks "don't you miss Mishin" and she's like "I don't miss Mishin" and laughs really made me also laugh (she then said she sees him at competitions so in addition to her joking I think she also means she sees him so she doesn't need to miss him). I did it through google translate but I feel like you can get the gist of it, so long as you keep in mind that it won't be 100% perfect. I also liked the part where she started critiquing the interviewer's word choice!

The interview with Kawaguchi/Kavaguti was also very fascinating. She chose a tough path in life, I don't know if I could have done what she's done, but she seems to mostly feel like she made the right decisions and she's happy with it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
@Vash01 did a summary in the T/M Cheer Thread.

She's basically saying don't rush to conclusions.. the revamp they're going through takes time and their main goal is the World Championships & Olympics.

Here you go.

This is a really good interview. This is a long article. I am slow at translating, so I took the cop out and used Google translate frequently. I will try to translate it for myself later, but will not publish it.

In summary, Zoueva says that they took a big risk in making this move, after their failures to win a big title. They changed/are changing their style. They didn't want to stagnate. They are more interesting to watch now, as per Smirnov (and I agree). Any big change needs time and patience. It was a tragedy that they missed the GPF. It affects their reputation with the judges but they have more time to prepare for the nationals. The internal competition is tougher now, and the competition at worlds has also become tougher.

She says their goal is the Olympics and the world championship, so the early failures at smaller competitions are just a part of the training. There is also a comment about Medvedeva's difficulties after she switched to Orser. It takes one and a half year to get used to the new conditions, according to Zoueva. She has a plan for them. They have this style this season. Next season another one. She says their failure is her failure. I think T&M are in very capable hands.

They go to the beach almost daily. There is a nice picture of Morozov on the boat. They must feel really relaxed.

Zoueva is talking of two Olympics for them (may be joking?), and Vladimir said he would be too old by the 2026 Olympics. Not so, Vladimir. Hongbo Zhao was older.

I think they will make the Russian worlds team this year, barring a disaster in one of their performances (SP or LP). B&K are a lock but T&M should be able to beat M&G, P&K and others if they skate nearly clean.

I wish they had made a coaching change much earlier, but better late than never.

reut

barbarafan

Oh thank you so much! T/M are my absolute favourite pair, be they in polka dots or bowling shirts or more traditional Russian pair outfits.

I've been worried about how quickly they've been overtaken by B/K and that they may feel disillusioned. So it'd good to see that they're enjoying Florida.

Go T/M :cheer:
I think T/M's biggest problem is the misuse of the new code of points by the judges.
T/M have several WOW elements. The extra Goe's from 3 to 5 was because there was not enough range between well done elements and Wow elements. Now if the judges like a team if they do a baby clean element they are rewarding them with 4 and 5's so T/m's twist and throws are not being rewarded at all. I see the Kniernan's have that as well. Yes they are having some problems with jumps etc. but they are often putting out beauties in the throws and twist but it does not reflect in the GOE.

skatingguy

decently
I think T/M's biggest problem is the misuse of the new code of points by the judges.
T/M have several WOW elements. The extra Goe's from 3 to 5 was because there was not enough range between well done elements and Wow elements. Now if the judges like a team if they do a baby clean element they are rewarding them with 4 and 5's so T/m's twist and throws are not being rewarded at all. I see the Kniernan's have that as well. Yes they are having some problems with jumps etc. but they are often putting out beauties in the throws and twist but it does not reflect in the GOE.
Are you saying that Tarasova/Morozov are not receiving a high enough score - they have the highest twist scores for the season so far - or that other couples are receiving to high a mark? If it's the later, can you identify who you think is being over scored. The Knierims have the 3rd highest twist score for the season, but are much lower with the throws because they've had a number of uncharacteristic mistakes this season.

barbarafan

Sorry .....not going to go into the individual teams who scored too high on those elements. I just maintain there is not enough difference between average clean and WoW. Judges are using GOE's like they do PCS. And Goe's are supposed to be what they see on that day for that team for that element not if they sometimes miss it. If a newbie pair team does a huge clean throw they should get a 5 period.

Mad for Skating

This makes it sound like Tukt muscles her jumps, when she does anything but. Maybe you are trying to say that her rotational force doesn't rely primarily on her upper body? That's not an issue of strength, it's an issue of technique.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. Her technique is good, so she doesn’t have to use her upper body or arms to get momentum. She just springs into the air. Alina’s jumps look like she’s using her back and arms to propel herself into the air, which is not great technique and does not work well for adult-sized skaters.

I say this as an Alina fan :)

Ah, what I would give to have a cool grandma like Moskvina.

I regret to say, that while this is a somewhat ok translation, most of it is done probably in google-translate, has quite a few errors and lack of exactness of meaning. Also some of the casual phrases lost their meaning, besides few phrases which supposed to be rejections like "not" or "did not" and appear as "did" or some form of affirmative.

As far as I know, this translator is a native Russian speaker who speaks fairly fluent English, so she translates everything without Google Translate. If there are mistakes, it’s simply human error.

D

Deleted member 40371

Are you saying that Tarasova/Morozov are not receiving a high enough score - they have the highest twist scores for the season so far - or that other couples are receiving to high a mark? If it's the later, can you identify who you think is being over scored. The Knierims have the 3rd highest twist score for the season, but are much lower with the throws because they've had a number of uncharacteristic mistakes this season.
I have problems with MT/M's GOE on the element. Their scores should be even lower than on the twist if properly scored. Too many times they have a crashy lift ane get +goe on it.

skatingguy

decently
I have problems with MT/M's GOE on the element. Their scores should be even lower than on the twist if properly scored. Too many times they have a crashy lift ane get +goe on it.
Yeah, she looks like she's doing a barrel roll out of his arms.

Sylvia

TBD
Hope Mishina/Galliamov's luggage turns up soon so they can start training for the Final:
Did M/G, Zagitova & Stepanova/Bukin all get their skates/costumes back by now?

oleada

Mad for Skating

I like MT/M, but they do get overscored on their twist. It’s very low compared to some twists that get the same GOE. However, I don’t think they are overscored in other areas.

mjb52

Hey maybe this is a random question but it's slow times in skating and I've been curious - is there any meaningful difference between Aleksandr and Oleksandr, or are they just different transliteration choices for the same name?

Mad for Skating

Hey maybe this is a random question but it's slow times in skating and I've been curious - is there any meaningful difference between Aleksandr and Oleksandr, or are they just different transliteration choices for the same name?

I believe Aleksandr is more commonly a Russian transliteration and Oleksandr is more commonly Ukrainian, but I’m not a native speaker so I don’t know.

Tinami Amori

Did M/G, Zagitova & Stepanova/Bukin all get their skates/costumes back by now?
The whole Russian team at NHK had all their luggage delayed. Japan Airlines was very sorry about it, and everything was delivered to the airport in MOW on Wed. this week. The whole group arrived on Monday evening, so they only had 2 days training delay.
I think Oleksandr is the Ukrainian version.
Yes.
And often it is UKR - Oleksei for RUS - Aleksei. Olena and Alena. Olesya and Alesya, etc..

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Alina Zagitova's Shiseido "Alina Red" advertisements: 1 video, several versions, for TV, electronic billboards and smart-phones, of various length and content.

Alina Zagitova's new TV/elect. billoard advertisement/contract with "Aqua Minerale - Active".

Tatiana Navka skating fragments from "Sleeping Beauty" with Zagitova (promo show on Red Square - 2 segments).

Last edited:

Limonite

Those jealousy feelings among her teams... I remember another Moskvina interview where she talked about this. She said Oksana Kazakova was always jealous about Elena Berezhnaya, to the point of crying during practices, accusing Moskvina of considering B&S as her "favorites".

Tinami Amori

Elizaveta Tursynbaeva wins a "Athlete of the Year Award - Winter Sports - Altyn Samgay".
Her father Baitak Tursynbaev posts the announcement and thanks everyone for voting and organizing the event.

One week ago, Elizaveta won another award, "National Favorite Athlete".

Tinami Amori

Аnna Tsareva (Pogo's former coach) post in IG about jumps (in competition programmes).

Тройные - классно👍 💫
В каскаде - еще лучше 💪 💫
Но, без четверных....... чистый туризм ☝️ .

Triples - great!
In combination - even better!
But without quads - pure tourism.. (you just came along for a ride, not to really compete).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information