Russia's flag out of Tokyo 2020 Olympics? What about Beijing 2022?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
These days I come across more and more articles (published in Japan) which mention that Russia's flag is likely to be out of Tokyo 2020 Olys again. Yesterday I saw the similar news on TV, too. Now I wonder if it can be the case. Here are some articles in English. What do you guys think?

Russia anti-doping boss expects lengthy Olympic ban
On Oct. 23, WADA’s Compliance Review Committee, which has powers to recommend sanctions, is set to meet experts who have analysed the data and looked at Russia’s explanations.

The walls of Ganus’s office in central Moscow are covered with posters promoting clean sport and messages of support from counterparts around the world.

He insists his organization had nothing to do with the data manipulation because it did not have access to the database in question.

He believes that high-ranking officials must have carried out the fraud since the laboratory data was “under the control of Russia’s Investigative Committee.”

Russian doping scandal: 'Russia must expect 2020 Olympics ban' - Rusada head
The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) said last month Russia could be banned from all major sports events over "discrepancies" in the Moscow lab data.

"Russia's Olympic squad will be prevented from participating in Tokyo," said Rusada director Yuri Ganus.

"I think that this will also happen at the 2022 Winter Olympic Games.

caseyedwards

Russia agrees to cooperate with WADA and then after WADA is already there and investigating someone decides to alter tests?!? That makes no sense. Sounds like actions of American spy

caseyedwards

now it’s getting really bad because of total insane behavior!!
At this point the commitment to cheating in track and field is too much! Seriously the case of Danil Lysenko is just jaw dropping!!! No Russian should be allowed in any track and field for maybe 10 years.
Whatever the consequences for sport in Russia

I mean this is almost too insane
maybe they are being paid by nato

Maybe this is assymetrical warfare against Russia

maybe russians expelled from all sports Would fix this if it can be fixed and it’s not cia nato paying russians to be sabateurs

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Could be putin is paying for this doping and cover ups to make Russia seem like a victim when it’s banned? Or just once a cheater always a cheater? Crazy

Sylvia

TBD

WADA confirms Russia may be barred from major sporting events for another 4 years: https://tass.com/sport/1092701
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) confirmed that its Compliance Review Committee (CRC) recommended the organization’s Executive Committee to bar Russia from taking part in international competitions for four years, the WADA press service said.

The WADA Executive Committee will consider the recommendations at a specially convened meeting in Paris on 9 December 2019.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
This makes me ill for the young athletes who are not doping and are caught once again, in other's actions.

caseyedwards

This makes me ill for the young athletes who are not doping and are caught once again, in other's actions.
Something has to be done to get all the dopers and their government sponsors to stop it. Part of the problem is every doper is being supported in their doping by high ranking government officials and official sports leaders. It would be helpful if all involvement of kremlin in sports was totally eliminated. But of course it’s very possible if it’s the same system no invitations for trusova kostornaia scherbakova and more. But maybe that would be for the best.

hanca

Values her privacy
Oh dear, let’s see who will they manage to keep away from the Olympics in 2022. Kostornaya? Or Trusova? Or Katsalapov? Or Kozlovski?

starrynight

Figure Skating would be one of the cleaner sports I think, because skaters compete internationally so very regularly and are constantly tested in international settings.

There’s not as much opportunity to cloister themselves alway on a doping program outside of international testing windows.

And the importance of doping is reduced in skating. While I’m sure some drugs would assist recovery times, it is a technical sport at the end of the day. Different to endurance or strength sports.

Lol and you don’t need to dope in skating. You just convince the judges to score a certain way. That’s where the cheating is.

caseyedwards

Figure Skating would be one of the cleaner sports I think, because skaters compete internationally so very regularly and are constantly tested in international settings.

There’s not as much opportunity to cloister themselves alway on a doping program outside of international testing windows.

And the importance of doping is reduced in skating. While I’m sure some drugs would assist recovery times, it is a technical sport at the end of the day. Different to endurance or strength sports.

Lol and you don’t need to dope in skating. You just convince the judges to score a certain way. That’s where the cheating is.
This is true but the issue is Russia and allowing Russians. Russia was cheating on behalf of neutral athletes. They may have destroyed the whole neutral system with the whole Danil Lysenko stuff! So that may be totally out. No Russians at all in any way. Better for all the Russians to change countries immediately

Vagabond

They need to stop this nonsense and just ban EVERYONE(meaning any country that gets caught with systematic doping). Simply banning the flag has no teeth.
What other countries have been caught engaging in recent systematic doping? (The last such instance I can think of is China in the 1990's, and even that wasn't across so many sports.

starrynight

Consider that the problem is not just the doping but the testing of the samples, which were altered to make it look like no doping was going on.

Yes but that was only possible in the local environment of Sochi with all the trap doors, secret tunnels and switching bottles etc etc. That can’t happen at testing taken in Shanghai or Tokyo for example.

I looked up Lysenko and I think his issue is not being available for out of competition testing. I think the rule is that not being available for two surprise tests counts as a failure. I suppose the suspicion then comes as to whether that was deliberate

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Yes but that was only possible in the local environment of Sochi with all the trap doors, secret tunnels and switching bottles etc etc. That can’t happen at testing taken in Shanghai or Tokyo for example.

I looked up Lysenko and I think his issue is not being available for out of competition testing. I think the rule is that not being available for two surprise tests counts as a failure. I suppose the suspicion then comes as to whether that was deliberate

This follows a 15-month AIU investigation (in co-operation with Russia anti-doping agency Rusada) which concluded that federation officials had been involved in the provision of false explanations and forged documents to the AIU in order to explain whereabouts failures by the athlete”

This is a level of insanity that’s unbelievable post being partially bannned from Rio and totally banned in Pyeongchang! As soon as OAR was adopted by ioc massive corruption doping and cheating was all increased

Last edited:

caseyedwards

This is the main thing that’s going to ban Russia for 4 years

Besides, the report says that on or after 25 November 2018, but before 10 January 2019, someone in the Moscow Laboratory planted fabricated evidence into the LIMS database (purported messages between laboratory staff members), according to which the falsified entries in the Moscow LIMS database were introduced by Grigory Rodchenkov and two co-conspirators with an aim to extort money from athletes.

just sick twisted people!
This is why I sometimes believe they are employed by America in asymmetrical warfare

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Born out of a cycling scandal 20 years ago, it's Russia doping crisis that dogs WADA today (Nov. 16, 2019): https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wada-20th-anniversary-russia-1.5362355
Excerpts:
WADA's approach to the Russian doping scandal has created schisms within the anti-doping movement before, particularly between defenders of the status quo and those who see the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as having too much influence on and within WADA.
Twenty years ago, it may have been practical and economical to create an international anti-doping body made up of IOC and government members. (The IOC provides 50 per cent of WADA's annual budget.) But these days, critics worry about a lack of independence and conflicts of interest at the top decision-making level, not to mention an absence of full voting rights for athlete representatives.
WADA's powerful executive committee — equally made up of members from the Olympic movement and governments — is the ultimate voting authority.
Canada's own Beckie Scott resigned her position on the [WADA] compliance review committee in protest.
"There was really no proper, significant consequence for what was exposed in the end," she said in an interview with CBC News at last week's WADA meeting.
Over the years, she has widely been viewed as a champion for athletes' rights and their voice at the table, as a member of both the IOC and WADA. But it's a seat that comes with little actual power. ... <snip> ...
Scott's presence at the World Conference was her "swan song," as she called it — the last large gathering of anti-doping stakeholders she'll attend in an official capacity.
After she resigned from the CRC, she remained chair of WADA's athlete committee, a term that is now coming to an end. As a chair of that working group, she is allowed a place at executive committee meetings but does not get a vote when key decisions are made.
"The fact that there is no athlete representation on an equal level with voting privileges is incredible," Scott said, underscoring the contradiction that presents with WADA's core mission.
"That's not an indicator of an organization that's really progressive and interested in furthering the rights and strengthening of athletes within their organization. Not at all."

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I can't imagine the WADA having the spine to punish Russia. Never will happen. It will just be "the athlete from Russia", big friggin deal. They still continue their cheating, and their athletes still win the Olympic medals except that the Russian flag isn't raised. I'd resign too from the organization.

If this does actually happen and they are fully banned for four years, will we see an Olympic podium of Kurakova, Safonova, and Shabotova with her 3axel? Maybe those three were geniuses after all. It seems to be working out for Kurakova already. If I were Tarakanova, Gubanova, Guliakova, Khromykh I would strongly start looking into country shopping. They'd have more of a chance of Russia letting them go than the others who already have international standings.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I wonder if WADA will have the conscience to at least give clean athletes who aren't allowed to go this time an explanation.

Or, more likely, if they're just going to do like they did to Bukin and say "You weren't even in Sochi, you've never had a problem or even a question mark, but we're just not gonna invite you, not say why, and you can't fight it. Bye."

Sylvia

TBD
MONTREAL (AP) — Russian athletes will have a chance to compete at next year’s Olympics, but their flag would not fly in Tokyo if the World Anti-Doping Agency approves a recommendation it received Monday.

The WADA compliance review committee proposed a four-year ban on Russia hosting major events but stopped short of asking for the blanket ban on Russian athletes that is among the possible sanctions for the most egregious violations.

The WADA executive committee will rule on the recommendations Dec. 9.

skatingguy

decently
Russian doping scandal: Athletes call for blanket Olympic ban

Members of the World Anti-Doping Agency's Athletes Committee have demanded a blanket ban on Russian athletes competing at the Olympics.

But a majority of the members of Wada's influential athletes' committee say they "strongly believe the only appropriate response is a complete ban on Russian participation", ruling them out of the Tokyo Games next year, and Beijing 2022.

In a joint statement, nine members of the 17-strong group, including chair Beckie Scott, and British former Paralympian Vicki Aggar, said such a step was "the only meaningful sanction."

"We maintain that the fraud, manipulation and deception revealed to date will only be encouraged and perpetuated with a lesser response" they added.

"Until these critical abuses of integrity in sport are confronted with courage and a resolute commitment to protect athletes and clean sport, they will continue, and the sports we love remain tarnished.

"To date, the Russian doping saga has dominated three Olympic and Paralympic Games, with a fourth on the horizon. Russia's ongoing and intentional acts of deception, fraud and corruption have made a mockery not only those who play by the rules, but those who create and safeguard them."

Greta Neimanas
@gretaneimanas
I am one of the 9 members of the WADA AC to support a full ban. The RUS government has betrayed their own athletes with constant cheating and deception. For the next generation to have a chance at a healthy and safe future, meaningful change must occur.

caseyedwards

It has to be done. The Pyeongchang punishment failed and made Russia worse and athletes are in danger from the stridently pro doping leadership

Sylvia

TBD
Yuri Ganus, the head of Russian anti-doping agency RUSADA, has been one of the few critical voices inside Russia.
“The problem is that we have four years ahead of us and for now, judging by the reaction of the current sports authorities, I don’t see any prospect of resolving these issues,” Ganus told Reuters.
RUSADA is set to be stripped of its accreditation for the second time in four years as part of the same doping sanctions.
Ganus pointed to what he said was an unhealthy culture among Russia’s sporting authorities which he said was resistant to change. Officials had used destructive methods to handle a crisis that could have been resolved by honestly addressing issues, he said.
“I don’t think we need to... try to find those guilty in other countries and say that the main source of evil is the West or the East, or anyone else,” he said. “That’s nonsense. The main problem is our culture, the culture inside the sports world.”
Ganus said he hoped President Vladimir Putin, who has yet to comment on WADA’s recommendations to punish Russia, would order serious reform of the country’s sports administration.
“In our country with these traditions, autocratic and bureaucratic, the presidential level is needed to make decisions to change,” he said. “I really hope that the time has come for serious changes.”

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Russia banned for four years to include 2020 Olympics and 2022 World Cup
It means the Russia flag and anthem will not be allowed at events such as the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and football's 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

But athletes who can prove they are untainted by the doping scandal will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

Wada's executive committee made the unanimous decision in a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information