Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Catherine M

Shoot! Missed it! :( Why did Purich/Chudak score 0 on two elements?

Lift went sorta up but then Bryce had to bring it down. Then they went into the death spiral and well didn't do a death spiral.

I thought Bryce looked alot better than he did a couple of years ago in juniors. Hopefully they can make up for lost time and be better at Challenge and Canadians.

Stellato/Deschamps had lots of errors but I just love their look and am looking forward to see how they develop.

Rock2

Stellato/Deschamps had lots of errors but I just love their look and am looking forward to see how they develop.

Love the long better than the short.

Oddly I found him to be the more comfortable one between the two. Such a stable partner. I could almost feel the urgency from her to get really good really fast; you could tell the results weren't sitting well with her.

I'm not expecting much this year but there's a lot of promise for them on the near horizon with continued work and good packaging/choreo.

jennysk8oboe

sure wish I could figure out which of those videos to watch Deanna on with her new partner. A long time has passed since I had French in high school. Does anyone recall where in the video their programs is? Thanks.

Sylvia

TBD
sure wish I could figure out which of those videos to watch Deanna on with her new partner.
Patinage Quebec hasn't made any of their Sectional videos available to watch on demand yet (I can post links to the Senior Pairs event videos when I see them uploaded).

Stellato/Deschamps' FS music is the (popular) "Divenire" by Ludovico Einaudi.
Purich/Chudak skated to an orchestral and female vocal version of "Fix You" by Coldplay.

aftershocks

Banned Member
sure wish I could figure out which of those videos to watch Deanna on with her new partner. A long time has passed since I had French in high school. Does anyone recall where in the video their programs is? Thanks.

Note that Sylvia earlier posted the below first look at Stellato/Deschamps' sp at the Georges-Éthier competition at the end of September (post #275 in this thread). It's always going to be growing pains for a new pair still adjusting to each other in their first competitive outings. S/D do seem to be a partnership that can blossom with hard work and well-directed guidance and decisionmaking... It will be interesting to see S/D's progress over the next couple of seasons.

Souvenir Georges-Éthier Senior Pairs SP this past Saturday:
Bardei/Brasseur skate at 12:30, Stellato/Deschamps at the 20 minute mark.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Audrey Carle and Gabriel Farand, coached by Brian Shales, just made their junior international debut at Volvo Open Cup in Riga, Latvia, and scored 25.51 TES (Junior Worlds minimum TES is 23 SP / 34 FS): http://www.kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo40th/SEG013.HTM

You can rewind the livestream to watch them: [ETA: link no longer works]

Question: Since their assignment is not listed on Skate Canada's International Assignments page, does this mean Skate Ontario nominated them & provided some funding for their trip?

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Skate Canada's website is notoriously lackadaisical, so I wouldn't say that's determinative either way.

RoseRed

Audrey Carle and Gabriel Farand, coached by Brian Shales, just made their junior international debut at Volvo Open Cup in Riga, Latvia, and scored 25.51 TES (Junior Worlds minimum TES is 23 SP / 34 FS): http://www.kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo40th/SEG013.HTM

You can rewind the livestream to watch them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TacVFjXYNuc

Question: Since their assignment is not listed on Skate Canada's International Assignments page, does this mean Skate Ontario nominated them & provided some funding for their trip?
The other Canadians skating there are Hannah Dawson, Michelle Long, Catherine Carle and Madeline Schizas. I think they're all from Ontario (?), so maybe it was Skate Ontario. Though Colonel Green is right that sometimes they don't update the website.

barbarafan

The other Canadians skating there are Hannah Dawson, Michelle Long, Catherine Carle and Madeline Schizas. I think they're all from Ontario (?), so maybe it was Skate Ontario. Though Colonel Green is right that sometimes they don't update the website.
It says the video is private

Sylvia

TBD

You can rewind the livestream to watch them: [ETA: link no longer works]
The livestream went off the air as soon as Tuesday's final event ended and became private. Carle/Farand are scheduled to skate their FS on Wednesday around 7 am Eastern time. Day 2 livestream:

ETA:

Carle/Farand finished 6th with a total score of 126.03 and 81.57 in FS (41.95 TES).

Last edited:

Vase

Not many listed on the Ontario Pairs sectionals, but I’ll watch the daily motion stream starts at 7:05pm

barbarafan

Congratulations to Liubov and Charlie on their first Grand Prix medal.

It was an okay jump day but a bad throw day. In that sense, having variable weaknesses on a given day makes them like every other pair in existence!
I
think Charlie ran out of gass...The throws were small and close to the ground. I watched on the replay.. Lubov barely made her rotations b4 she reached the ice. First part of the long was big improvement though...nice GOE's and levels.

barbarafan

I
think Charlie ran out of gass...The throws were small and close to the ground. I watched on the replay.. Lubov barely made her rotations b4 she reached the ice. First part of the long was big improvement though...nice GOE's and levels.
I think the 2 days of traveling plus jet lag played a role....need more running in off site training.

Mad for Skating

Congratulations to Luba and Charlie! They fought to the end and created some lovely moments on the ice, I really enjoyed their performances.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It was an okay jump day but a bad throw day.

It was not good on jumps either for Luba/Charlie, but I suppose better than falling. P/J have the Chinese rep and generally good elements, but Peng is apparently injured and they are purposely competing 2-salchows. Luba/Charlie totally had the opportunity to stay in second and take the silver medal, but that can't happen with the mistakes they made on jumps and throws. L&C can and hopefully will fix the kinks and begin to create something special. If they do, possibly they will have the goods and magic to surpass M-T/M as Canadian #1.

M-T/M are feisty, competitive and entertaining to watch but they have some areas in which comparatively they aren't as strong as some teams. Still, consistency and political backing by Canadian fed means something.

Colonel Green

It was not good on jumps either for Luba/Charlie, but I suppose better than falling.
That's why I said "okay", not "good". They both got the 3T, she UR'd the 2T, but that was worth decent points. The 3S attempts were a mess from both, but they didn't fall, and considering this is an element they've yet to land in competition, that's not really out of line with expectations. I'd be interested in knowing if the 3S is more successful in practice or if they're just hammering at it until they get it to work.

Yeah, I tuned in to watch that. Brooke & Brandon looked very good; Patricia & Zachary, much-improved, even if the throw didn't work. They've both got higher twists than a lot of our senior teams.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'd be interested in knowing if the 3S is more successful in practice or if they're just hammering at it until they get it to work.

Yep, I was wondering about training practices in general for singles skaters and pairs skaters. For eg., do the singles guys perform complete run-throughs of their programs or go easy on doing all of their quads in run-throughs so that they don't burn out?

Probably each pairs team and every skater generally have different ways of approaching training...

Mad for Skating

Peng/Jin do the 2S because a fall caps the maximum PCS score. They'll probably go for the 3S later in the season.

I think they should do a sbs 2A for the first half of the season; it would get more points than a 2S. However, they would need to change the entry because an axel has a forward entry and a salchow has a backward entry.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Note that Sylvia earlier posted the below first look at Stellato/Deschamps' sp at the Georges-Éthier competition at the end of September (post #275 in this thread). It's always going to be growing pains for a new pair still adjusting to each other in their first competitive outings. S/D do seem to be a partnership that can blossom with hard work and well-directed guidance and decisionmaking... It will be interesting to see S/D's progress over the next couple of seasons.

Why did she split from Bartholomay?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It was an ongoing knee injury. He had surgery for it this past off-season.

They did not publicly state the reasons for the split.

Thanks for that. I know it is early days, but her pairing with Deschamps seems like such a step backwards. Too bad Deanna can't skate singles for Canada as well.

Colonel Green

At Ontario sectionals we had our notable junior pairs compete.

• Andrew/Daleman won it in the free. They're doing two triple throws now, though the throw 3T didn't go great here. They're getting a level 3 triple twist now, and it looks really good.
  • McIntosh/Toste unexpectedly debuted a new free skate, to "Say Something"; I don't know if Evans was responding to complaints about their performance level or something. Perhaps not unexpectedly with all the new choreo, etc., Brooke had some trouble on their second throw and the final SBS, the latter of which she fell on, but it looks like it could be a good program for them by the time we get to the Youth Olympics. Their triple twist is also big, though compared to A/D it's only a level 1.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks for that. I know it is early days, but her pairing with Deschamps seems like such a step backwards. Too bad Deanna can't skate singles for Canada as well.

Unfortunately, I agree. Time will tell of course, but I am not super-optimistic.

It's too early to ring a death knell. IMO Deanna & Maxime are a good match physically. It's clear they need time and hard work to gain timing, rhythm and confidence with each other. Have the fed issue problems been worked out yet for Stellato's release?

Wang/Boudreau-Audet look good together, but they haven't been very consistent in the early going. As a new team without any prior individual high standing, they aren't being treated generously by the judges.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information