Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

aftershocks

Banned Member
At RC, Walsh/Michaud changed their sp completely. The previous one to Benny & the Jets simply wasn't working for them. This new one with different music, choreo, and costumes is apparently more in their style wheelhouse. They perhaps had to try too hard with the previous program to put on an edgy, funky 'tude that didn't come naturally to their personalities. They had trouble skating clean with the previous program. This love ballad theme seems to be more comfortable for them.

Purkiss was Michael's coach with former partner b4 switching with Kirsten. Am sure her concern would be with Michael.

I'm not sure in what way you mean 'her concern would be with Michael.' Do you mean that Purkiss is interested in helping Michael due to their prior relationship, or that she has concern about his abilities??

It would be fascinating to see KMT with Trennt, and Evelyn with Michael, but I don't see either switching at this point with all they have invested in their respective partnerships.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Let's face it though Deanna will have a lot more competition to try to make an Olympic team in Canada then Zoe Jones has in GB where there is not much competition. It might be unrealistic to look all the way to 2026 to make the Olympics.

Of course, but we haven't heard any of what we are discussing directly from Deanna. There's only speculation here about what her actual goals and plans are. We still don't even know about possible release details yet.

Although there isn't much competition in Great Britain for Jones/Boyadji to battle against, there also aren't any resources available for them, so it's a huge struggle and a sacrifice for them to skate competitively. It's remarkable what J/B go through on a daily basis to pursue their passion for skating. I recall Terry Gannon mentioning how J/B said they had to train by viewing performances of other skaters on Youtube and trying to copy the difficulty in putting together programs. They've done a very good job, despite not being competitive with top tier teams. Claire's recent interview with J/B is enlightening.

Every team, and every skater have challenges to overcome.

Last edited:

barbarafan

At RC, Walsh/Michaud changed their sp completely. The previous one to Benny & the Jets simply wasn't working for them. This new one with different music, choreo, and costumes is apparently more in their style wheelhouse. They perhaps had to try too hard with the previous program to put on an edgy, funky 'tude that didn't come naturally to their personalities. They had trouble skating clean with the previous program. This love ballad theme seems to be more comfortable for them.

I'm not sure in what way you mean 'her concern would be with Michael.' Do you mean that Purkiss is interested in helping Michael due to their prior relationship, or that she has concern about his abilities??

It would be fascinating to see KMT with Trennt, and Evelyn with Michael, but I don't see either switching at this point with all they have invested in their respective partnerships.
I meant she coached Michael with his former partner Margaret Purdy for a long time until he tried out with Kirsten. Margaret stayed on with Alison and started coaching there. I am not sure if she still is there. Trent seems to want to stay with Alison although they do seem to spend some time now at Oakville rink.

aftershocks

Banned Member
They all look so gorgeous! Olympic podium for 2022, please!

:lol: I doubt that. There will more than likely be a Russian team on the podium and undoubtedly at least one Chinese team. There's so much depth now that having two teams from one country on the podium may not happen if a number of top teams skate well. So S/H if they remain healthy, and at least one Russian team.

It remains to be seen how consistent and improved Peng/Jin and Yu/Zhang will be by 2022. I know China would love two teams on the podium, but I don't expect it will happen due to heavy competition. There's an outside chance for Luba/Charlie if they continue to improve and are more competitive by then with the top teams. The best Canadian team will likely be competitive for the Olympic podium, but Luba/Charlie still have work to do. Canadian teams are currently rebuilding. The Chinese and Russian teams will likely be battling with the French (if J/C definitely go all the way to 2022 as they plan, especially with Worlds in their home country that year). There may also be a U.S. team in the podium mix by then.

Mad for Skating

:lol: I doubt that. There will more than likely be a Russian team on the podium and undoubtedly at least one Chinese team. There's so much depth now that having two teams from one country on the podium may not happen if a number of top teams skate well. So S/H if they remain healthy, and at least one Russian team.

It remains to be seen how consistent and improved Peng/Jin and Yu/Zhang will be by 2022. I know China would love two teams on the podium, but I don't expect it will happen due to heavy competition. There's an outside chance for Luba/Charlie if they continue to improve and are more competitive by then with the top teams. The best Canadian team will likely be competitive for the Olympic podium, but Luba/Charlie still have work to do. Canadian teams are currently rebuilding. The Chinese and Russian teams will likely be battling with the French (if J/C definitely go all the way to 2022 as they plan, especially with Worlds in their home country that year). There may also be a U.S. team in the podium mix by then.

I know this, I was just saying I love the three pairs in the photo and I wish they could all medal at the Olympics. I know it’s not a likely podium :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yes, I just came to post that B/B had pulled up to third at Warsaw Cup. :)

It was not a clean skate -- bobbled landings on the throws and a bit tentative on the jumps, but exciting lifts, a fantastic 3-twist and lovely moments throughout. If they work out the kinks, they can be amazing. Aunt Isabelle must be very proud. :)

http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1920/CSPOL2019/SEG006.HTM overall results w/ fp details at bottom for the moment

Separate page with fp results hadn't yet been updated at the time of my post

http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1920/CSPOL2019/SEG005.HTM sp results

The Germans, Hocke/Kunkel, dropped from 3rd in the sp to 9th in the fp -- 6th overall, which aided B/B taking advantage to make the podium. Hopefully, they continue to build from here.

How many teams does Gauthier train these days besides Luba/Charlie and Brasseur/Bardei? Are Ryom/Kim still training on occasion in Montreal? What about Australian team of Katia/Harley?

Last edited:

barbarafan

It was not a clean skate -- bobbled landings on the throws and a bit tentative on the jumps, but exciting lifts, a fantastic 3-twist and lovely moments throughout. If they work out the kinks, they can be amazing. Aunt Isabelle must be very proud. :)

http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1920/CSPOL2019/SEG006.HTM overall results w/ fp details at bottom for the moment

Separate page with fp results hadn't yet been updated at the time of my post

http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1920/CSPOL2019/SEG005.HTM sp results

The Germans, Hocke/Kunkel, dropped from 3rd in the sp to 9th in the fp -- 6th overall, which aided B/B taking advantage to make the podium. Hopefully, they continue to build from here.

How many teams does Gauthier train these days besides Luba/Charlie and Brasseur/Bardei? Are Ryom/Kim still training on occasion in Montreal? What about Australian team of Katia/Harley?
I think he had 4 teams here.Matte/Ferland ,Nang/Boudreau-Audet skating for Canada,Gamez/Paradis for Phillipines are also his..I don't think Katia/Harley are training there. Annika Duskova with new partner were there in the summer until school started. There are prob. others as well.

Vase

I just watched B/B free at Warsaw cup, I’d like to see more connection with them. Yes she is still working on figuring out the throes, but I see him more as a pair then she a pair girl.

RoseRed

They moved to Australia to train with one of their old Russian coaches. From an interview the coach gave, they just found Montreal wasn't working for them.
I'm not sure, but I think they had said at the time more or less that they hadn't wanted to leave their coaching situation in Russia, but when Nina Mozer stepped back and kind of broke up her team, they needed somewhere else to go. Not sure if I have the details of that all correct.

But I'm not surprised by their move. Apart from anything else, before Montreal they were always training where one of them was from. That has to be easier.

In addition to his four Canadian senior teams already mentioned (I/B, B/B, M/F and W/B-A), Richard has at least two junior Canadian teams (Levesque/Hudon and Panetta/Mimar), and also I think Stellato/Deschamps may be working with him and his team (not too sure since they don't have a ISU bio or anything official). Then internationally there's Gamez/Paradis and Duskova/Jakubka in the summer as @barbarafan said.

As for Ryom/Kim, I didn't here anything about them coming back to Canada this summer (they were there the summer before the Olympic season and then not the one after). However, they had new programs to start the year and list Julie Marcotte as the choreographer. So either they came to Montreal or she went there. If they did come, it might have also been to stay and train for a while, or just for choreo. I'm not sure if they would work with Richard though - it seemed at the time like the connection was Bruno.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

As for Ryom/Kim, I didn't here anything about them coming back to Canada this summer (they were there the summer before the Olympic season and then not the one after). However, they had new programs to start the year and list Julie Marcotte as the choreographer. So either they came to Montreal or she went there. If they did come, it might have also been to stay and train for a while, or just for choreo. I'm not sure if they would work with Richard though - it seemed at the time like the connection was Bruno.
TSL said that Bruno, at least, had actually visited North Korea at some point over the summer, so it's possible Julie did as well.

RoseRed

TSL said that Bruno, at least, had actually visited North Korea at some point over the summer, so it's possible Julie did as well.
I would have expected some pics or something of them if they were in Montreal, so that wouldn't surprise me.

barbarafan

I'm not sure, but I think they had said at the time more or less that they hadn't wanted to leave their coaching situation in Russia, but when Nina Mozer stepped back and kind of broke up her team, they needed somewhere else to go. Not sure if I have the details of that all correct.

But I'm not surprised by their move. Apart from anything else, before Montreal they were always training where one of them was from. That has to be easier.

In addition to his four Canadian senior teams already mentioned (I/B, B/B, M/F and W/B-A), Richard has at least two junior Canadian teams (Levesque/Hudon and Panetta/Mimar), and also I think Stellato/Deschamps may be working with him and his team (not too sure since they don't have a ISU bio or anything official). Then internationally there's Gamez/Paradis and Duskova/Jakubka in the summer as @barbarafan said.

I read that Stellato/Deschamps had Ian Connolly as a head coach and I have seen instagrams at Ste. Julie rink which is where Bruno had a few teams plus singles skaters. I think Ian did work at both rinks but I am not sure if the pics I saw were all either before or after the split.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Justine & Mark's bronze medal-winning free skate at the Warsaw Cup.

Thanks for posting that. I didn't get to see it live.

That's a great result for them. The season's best list hasn't been updated with Warsaw scores yet, but theirs would be 25th, just a few points ahead of what Walsh/Michaud got at Cup of Russia today. It's the third highest among the Canadians this year, so the fight for the final spot at 4CC should be interesting. Also that score means they have a very good chance of getting a grand prix assignment next season. So good for them.

Erin

Banned Member
Further to danafan’s post, here are the SB scores for the Canadian pairs:
1. Moore-Towers/Marinaro - 210
2. Ilyushechkina/Bilodeau - 193
3. Brasseur/Bardei - 172
4. Walsh/Michaud - 169
5. Ruest/Wolfe - 166
6. Matte/Ferland - 152
7. Wang/Boudreau-Audet - 152

And then there are three new teams that haven’t competed internationally, with sectional scores:
Stellato/Deschamps - 154
Purich/Chudak - 138
Choinard/Davis - 116

It will be interesting to see the three teams compete at Challenge against some of the ones who have competed internationally.

I’m excited for there to hopefully be three groups at Canadians. That hasn’t happened since 2012, when there were 12 pairs. There have been between six and eight for the last seven years.

Janef

I just watched B/B free at Warsaw cup, I’d like to see more connection with them. Yes she is still working on figuring out the throes, but I see him more as a pair then she a pair girl.
Yes I agree with you. He is a fantastic male partner I could see him with a feistier pair girl so much potential. Although to be fair they did make podium which is saying something

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information