The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

skategal

Bunny mama
Also, what does the first voiceover say? It's doesn't come across clearly enough for Mom & I to understand it.

One of the voiceovers says something like "Come here I want to take another look at you."

Is that the one you mean?

For those who haven't seen the movie, that phrase happens at one of the key points in the movie.

I agree that H/D's program doesn't portray the story well.

I would prefer they used "Look what I Found," "Shallow", and "I'll Always Remember Us This Way."

The first is Jazzy/Bluesy and the latter has a really lovely waltz beat to it.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Unfortunately, that sentence comes from near the end of the movie, so putting it near the beginning of the program hinders their storytelling even more.

I said from the beginning that "Shallow" could be a great program for them, and I still think it could be, but they've got to fix the music and lose the voiceovers.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Why not? As much as I love P/C I wouldn’t say their FDs have been radically different every year. And judges and fans don’t seem to mind maybe it’ll be the same case for H/D.

I'd argue this isn't something P/C is alone in, started, or even mastered (yet). Extremely talented skaters who perform their modus operandi both brilliantly and consistently can get away with it to some degree. V&M were accused of it-- hell, many top couples at Canton were prime examples. In the end, a great competitive program is a great competitive program, and that can carry you. Are H&D the kind of team that can do this?

I still think A Star Is Born was a great idea, and they could still make it work. But right now I can't decide if the program has potential, or if someone at Gadbois has it out for them.

aftershocks

Banned Member
In this SC Inside Edge interview show post SC event, Piper indicates that she and Paul "sat down with the judges" and with SC officials to find out ideas for "what they had in mind for our program." So I guess that's part of what it takes: Listening to advice from the PTB and following their advice... It's all part of the game of politics, beyond just being uber-talented and great at what you do. These fs judges and officials sure do wield an awful lot of power.

I like them. But I REALLY hope they get better programs next year.

If you mean H/D, understand that crafting great programs is not a piece-of-cake. Random magic happens as it will through hard work and serendipity. And some fans enjoy criticizing some skaters, regardless...

Those discussing the Star Is Born movie, you do realize that the FD is supposed to stand on its own, regardless of who or who has not seen the movie. I have not, but I hope to one day. Figure skating programs should stand on their own no matter the inspiration. Movies the same. :watch:

Last edited:

I❤️Marina&Sergai

I’m not an H/B fan but their SD was the first time I found them enjoyable. But then, their FD felt 10 minutes long. It just dragged and felt heavy. I’m not surprised they lost to F/G who skated really well and had a fun and engaging FD. Even my husband who couldn’t care less about skating got into it.

On another note, Kaitlyn’s FD costume is just super unflattering. She looks heavy and I thought it looked like a cheap vampire Halloween costume. She’s too pretty and petite for something like that.
I find F/G FD really refreshing, they seem to enjoy every second of it and that captures the audience. I appreciate H/B skating I enjoyed the RD but the FD feels quite dense, which I feel is in part due to the music. The Flamenco Beethoven 5th is quite hard to engage with. I wonder if there is any benefit to editing the music a little? I remember Minotte and Lavenchy changed the music for their quick step between Euro’s and Words for a similar reason in 95.

mollymgr

I still think A Star Is Born was a great idea, and they could still make it work. But right now I can't decide if the program has potential, or if someone at Gadbois has it out for them.
After listening to Romain's interview about last season from TSL, it seems like this is a group decision to agree on music for a program. He also spoke about the challenges of changing things all the time. It was a great interview in general and there is no doubt that they are really good coaches who are passionate about what they do. How the audience will react, is something that no one can predict.

Khaleesi

I'd argue this isn't something P/C is alone in, started, or even mastered (yet). Extremely talented skaters who perform their modus operandi both brilliantly and consistently can get away with it to some degree. V&M were accused of it-- hell, many top couples at Canton were prime examples. In the end, a great competitive program is a great competitive program, and that can carry you. Are H&D the kind of team that can do this?

I didn’t mean that as a dig at P/C. And you’re right most teams get accused of that anyway.
I think that is going a bit too far. :shuffle:
Why? It’s true. I think people don’t see (or want to see it) because of his stature.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm surprised there hasn't been much (if any) discussion of Green/Parsons. Maybe it's just me, but I'm really starting to see some real connections/improvements between the two of them, and I think getting in front of the international judges is great for them. I think the costume changes this week were for the better. Not totally sold on the RD music yet, but really like the FD with some interesting lift positions. Admittedly, I've always been a fan of Michael's skating skills, so I might be a bit biased.

It seems too soon at this point to make much of judgement about them. I think they have an advantage compared to other new teams because they were training at the same rink with the same technique for many years. Maybe next season they'll be able to afford a dress for her instead having to use something so torn and faded.

I like them. But I REALLY hope they get better programs next year.

Oh I see, you are discussing Green/Parsons, with a bit of snark. Green/Parsons have good programs this season and are already showing promise. How far they will be able to rise is a question, mainly due to the deep ice dance field in the U.S.

oleada

No, I was being serious. "Screw Loose" is a terrible song for a teenage girl and a grown man to dance to -- as I'm far from the first to point out.
They had so many musical choices and they go with the song that goes “Call me if you need a loose screw”. It was a very low bar, and yet....

I’m with you. I think the way they’re skating so well together so far is impressive, but oy, the program.

Dobre

One of the voiceovers says something like "Come here I want to take another look at you."

Is that the one you mean?

No, we can't understand the short little line the man says right after the spin. Thank you for trying, though. I appreciate it.

Dobre

I'm surprised there hasn't been much (if any) discussion of Green/Parsons.

They got the level 3 on the Finnstep at SC, which is the first time this season and I think is a good step. (Plus all level 4s except the footwork in the FD). I don't think they need any pressure this season. Just skating solid performances and growing comfortable as a team is a good sign. I don't know about relationship, but I think Caroline's performance has really improved this season. She was improving with it last season, and she is selling this team now, which is a big step for her. I think it's nice that they are giving her the chance to do that.

I don't know what the story is for the FD and what the ending pose is all about, but I like the power in the music for them. I think their speed and ice coverage is what they have to sell. (I've been joking that she is a tiger and eats him, then feels remorse). Also, it was the only original music in the whole first group at SC.

C

casken

Speaking of Parsons/Green, whoever did the remixing of their FD music between Lombardia and the GP did a great job. The second half needed that little extra punch.

Dobre

Well, obviously her mom did not have a dirty mind and just thought of it as a cute & charming song about a quirky girl. Which is exactly how they interpret it. It reminds me of the "Crazy as a Goose" number that Kuzmich & Sinicyn used--I assume via Carol Lane--the season that I started paying attention to K&S in juniors. On the plus side, no one is skating to Green & Parson's RD so it doesn't blend in with the umpteen other 42nd Streets or Singing in the Rains. On the negative side, most people aren't familiar with the musical so it doesn't leave as strong an impression or start off with a big ah ha moment for the audience as a program would if you manage to select a number that is both 1. recognizable and 2. unique among the dance field. (Plus, as was pretty obvious at SC, you can hit the trifecta if your selection has a beat the audience can clap to. Though they may not do it away from home if you happen to be strong competition for their favorite team;)).

There is a bit of luck required in hitting that trifecta because if you select something not obscure then you may end up with 4 other dance teams using the same thing. There are a lot of well-known musicals not being used. (Some probably have nothing for the Finnstep, but many probably do). But how to select one of those without knowing what everyone else was doing?

Anyway, I didn't hear any negative reactions from the audience to G&P's RD. I did hear negativity toward all the cut out/flesh fabric on the "tiger costume" for the FD. I think this costume is probably your average misplaced attempt to make an athlete that is younger than the rest of the field look mature. I don't think it's necessary. She is younger, but she fits right in with the other young ladies in the field.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Because when I hear the words "insanely talented" in relation to male ice dancers, his name is the not the first that to mind. Or the second. Or third. Or fourth, etc. Nothing to do with his size.

I didn't rank him, did I? I didn't dump on Cizeron, Nikita, Bukin, Ponomorenko or any number of insanely talented male ice dancers. I think Jean-Luc's skillset is up with those guys, except maybe for Cizeron because it is received wisdom that he is in a class of his own. :p

Bigbird

Bukin is now better than Katsalapov in my book. The blondies are about equal give or take. Just one can skate well and the other has a personality. If only they could be transformed into one good team. Snap, I forgot they already shelved that team. :rofl:

mollymgr

I don't find anything wrong about Michael and Caroline's programs. I don't get why the age difference keeps getting brought up and everything is nitpicked around the age difference. When I look at them, they look like any other dance team with great potential. They look good together even with the little time they have skated together. Tanith said Caroline's mom is a huge Johnny Depp fan and hence the RD.
For the FD, maybe they were inspired by P/C's Woodkid futuristic program to fashion their own.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Conquest of Spaces is my favourite Woodkid song so I'm a bit disappointed that Green / Parsons only used it as an intro not for the majority of their FD.

Colonel Green

I don't get why the age difference keeps getting brought up and everything is nitpicked around the age difference.
The age difference gets brought up because she is a minor, and that just is inherently an issue that Wheaton should be aware of when designing their programs.

It really should not have been hard to come up with an RD for them that wasn't built around a pun about them having sex. That's a low bar.

Bigbird

Conquest of Spaces is my favourite Woodkid song so I'm a bit disappointed that Green / Parsons only used it as an intro not for the majority of their FD.

With all this talk about these two, let me go look at the programs.

laviemn

I don't get why the age difference keeps getting brought up and everything is nitpicked around the age difference.

I think the revelations about the mental and emotional health issues skaters face and how those are connected with very young skaters being put in vulnerable situations that the culture of this sport accepts as normal has made people more wary of certain situations, such as minor girls partnering with grown men and minors performing questionable material for their age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information