Bids for ISU Championships 2021 & 2022; Provisional allotments in 2020/21

Dobre

I really don't see either the U.S. or Canadian dancers skipping 4CCs. They go. They compete. They earn their World Standing points, their spot late in the lineup at Worlds, and their setup in the minds of the judges heading into Worlds.

Skip that the year before an Olympics? You must be kidding.

sykr

I would imagine that Stockholm would hold Worlds in either Hovet, (Hovet is used by both AIK and Djurgårdens IF but it's actually very small), Ericsson Globe (used for 2015 Euros) or Tele2 Arena (which is where they have proposed to have the figure skating if they get the 2026 Olympic bid (I think)).

All of them are next door to each other. The nearest T-bana (underground) station is Globen and is right on the site. I've attended a couple of hockey games there in the past and it was very easy to navigate.

In terms of accommodation, it depends on how close you want to be. I think there are hotels very near, but in all honesty, the subway system is really great and easy to use (with only 3 different lines) and so as long as you are near a T station then you won't be far away. There are a few different areas in the city and I guess where you stay depends on what you're looking for! Gamla Stan is the old town (beautiful but expensive), Sodermalm is a more trendy, young area (and very close to the venue), Norrmalm is the city centre, Ostermalm is a posh area with fancy hotels and nice boats, and Vasastan has lots of cafes and parks (my personal favourite).

(Sorry this is so long! Stockholm is probably my favourite city in the whole world (outside my own city) and so I could talk about it at length - I usually only ever read FSU and don't post but my love for the city made me post 😅)
Wow, thank you very much for your detailed reply, it is really helpful and appreciated :grope:

starrynight

I really don't see either the U.S. or Canadian dancers skipping 4CCs. They go. They compete. They earn their World Standing points, their spot late in the lineup at Worlds, and their setup in the minds of the judges heading into Worlds.

Skip that the year before an Olympics? You must be kidding.

Yeah ice dancers can't skip 4CC because if they lose the momentum going into Worlds, it's usually curtains.

It is called payback for how far Australians have to travel to got to overseas events :)

Yes. I always chuckle a bit when people from a lot of the Northern Hemisphere countries complain about allegedly long flights. Although, I suppose people from New Zealand have it even worse. For example Dunedin to Rome is 32.5 hours on the fastest route!

Vagabond

For what it's worth, Sydney is a time zone farther to the east than the Asian cities that have hosted ISU Championships or the Olympics. Therefore, jet lag should be less of a problem for North American skaters competing in Sydney.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Everyone probably thinks Australia is further away because it is kind of like a very very very very large island unlike the rest of the continents. However it is pretty much the same size as most of the US, excluding Alaska.

Japanfan

For what it's worth, Sydney is a time zone farther to the east than the Asian cities that have hosted ISU Championships or the Olympics. Therefore, jet lag should be less of a problem for North American skaters competing in Sydney.

Not following your logic. Given that Sydney is further to the east, it's more of a time change. I don't know the actual time zone differences, but 8 hours is obviously more of a difference to adjust to than 6 or 7.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Not following your logic. Given that Sydney is further to the east, it's more of a time change. I don't know the actual time zone differences, but 8 hours is obviously more of a difference to adjust to than 6 or 7.

Sydney is further to the east. Therefore, it is closer to the US by timezone than many of the Asian cities where FS is held. So, it's actually less of a time change.

Or, to put it another way: Sydney is GMT +10. Taipei is GMT +8. Los Angeles is GMT -7.

Los Angeles is 17 hours behind Sydney. It is currently 9:20pm on Tuesday night in Sydney. In LA it's 4:20am on Tuesday. In Taipei it's 7:21pm, because Taipei is 2 hours behind Sydney. Therefore, Taipei is 19 hours behind LA.

Or, to put it another way: the flights cross the pacific from LAX and land on the east coast of Australia. The east coast of Australia is further east than Taipei. Ergo, Australia is closer to the US than Taipei for flying time.

mattiecat13

I would imagine that Stockholm would hold Worlds in either Hovet, (Hovet is used by both AIK and Djurgårdens IF but it's actually very small), Ericsson Globe (used for 2015 Euros) or Tele2 Arena (which is where they have proposed to have the figure skating if they get the 2026 Olympic bid (I think)).

All of them are next door to each other. The nearest T-bana (underground) station is Globen and is right on the site. I've attended a couple of hockey games there in the past and it was very easy to navigate.

In terms of accommodation, it depends on how close you want to be. I think there are hotels very near, but in all honesty, the subway system is really great and easy to use (with only 3 different lines) and so as long as you are near a T station then you won't be far away. There are a few different areas in the city and I guess where you stay depends on what you're looking for! Gamla Stan is the old town (beautiful but expensive), Sodermalm is a more trendy, young area (and very close to the venue), Norrmalm is the city centre, Ostermalm is a posh area with fancy hotels and nice boats, and Vasastan has lots of cafes and parks (my personal favourite).

(Sorry this is so long! Stockholm is probably my favourite city in the whole world (outside my own city) and so I could talk about it at length - I usually only ever read FSU and don't post but my love for the city made me post 😅)
A couple of friends and I are planning on attending Stockholm Worlds so any and all information is much appreciated!

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Communication no. 2262 (Decisions of the Council, June 18, 2019) re. Provisional Allotment of ISU Championships season 2021/22:

ISU European Figure Skating Championships to be held in Tallinn, Estonia on January 10-16, 2022

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held on January 17-22, 2022
The Council decided to postpone the allotment of this Championships. ISU Members are therefore invited to submit applications by September 15, 2019 in line with ISU Communication No. 2231.

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held on March 7-13, 2022
The Council decided to postpone the allotment of this Championships. ISU Members are therefore invited to submit applications by September 15, 2019 in line with ISU Communication No. 2231.

ISU World Figure Skating Championships to be held in Montpellier, France on March 21-27, 2022

Hanna

Skating junkie
German Fed is going to bid for 2023 Euros in Essen
That's great! By that time it will have been almost 20 years since an ISU Champ in Germany ( :eek: ) so they probably have a good chance of getting it, too! Not that not having had one for a while is the most important criterium. :lol:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
German Fed is going to bid for 2023 Euros in Essen

I guess I can add this to my list of places in Germany that I never thought I would be spending a week in......

Last edited:

vesperholly

I remember reading Detroit sounding off on a potential bid
I went to US Nationals this year and the new arena is fantastic. Nice location, easy to get to and park, roomy concourse, lots of super healthy food options inside the arena including a few full sit-down restaurants and many stalls in the ladies bathrooms :saint:

The only thing I don't know is if there's a second rink nearby available for practice - is Tony Kent still functioning as a rink or did they close it?

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Communication no. 2262 (Decisions of the Council, June 18, 2019) re. Provisional Allotment of ISU Championships season 2021/22:
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held on January 17-22, 2022

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held on March 7-13, 2022
ISU Communication no. 2289 (Decisions of the Council, published October 18, 2019) states "The Council decided to postpone the allotment of this Championships" [again] for both:

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held on January 17-22, 2022, and
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held on March 7-13, 2022.

"ISU Members are therefore invited to submit applications by February 14, 2020 in line with ISU Communication No. 2231" (link: https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/20188-isu-communication-2231/file ).

Sylvia

TBD
The RFP bid application for 2022 U.S. Nationals lists the confirmed dates as January 3-9 (always earlier in Olympic season).

oleada

The RFP bid application for 2022 U.S. Nationals lists the confirmed dates as January 3-9 (always earlier in Olympic season).
Has the location for 2022 nationals been announced?
That's my birthday week, maybe I can swing something :)

zebobes

I have a feeling that the ISU is afraid to award Taiwan any championships at the moment because of China, which is why they keep postponing awarding the championships, hoping that another country will step forward.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Canada hasn't hosted Four Continents since 2009. Would Skate Canada consider bidding even though Montreal is hosting the World Championships next year?

Colonel Green

Canada hasn't hosted Four Continents since 2009. Would Skate Canada consider bidding even though Montreal is hosting the World Championships next year?
Since it’s an Olympic-year Four Continents, it wouldn’t make sense to hold it in North America. The big North American stars won’t be going.

It should ideally be in Japan. It can be a consolation for the Japanese fans who can’t get tickets for the 2022 men’s event.

Sylvia

TBD

emilieh

I was told a long time ago that Skate Canada wasn't interested in hosting Four Continents ever again after low attendance in 2004. They made an exception for the 2009 event, since it made the most sense for the Olympic test event. Not sure if this is still the long term plan, but I don't think they've bid for any in the past decade.

Then again, it had also been over a decade since they hosted a JGP, so it was great to not only see them step in and take over for China last year, but also bid for one for next year.

manhn

But 2009 was well attended, and it wasn't just because of the Olympics. I think a 4CC in UBC Arena would do just well (and other similarly sized arenas around the country).

Aaron W

Has the location for 2022 nationals been announced?
That's my birthday week, maybe I can swing something :)

No, USFS hasn’t even announced the location for the 2021 US Nationals (though presumably that will happen within the next month or two). Perhaps they’ll announce 2022 as well since the RFP was combined for both 2021 & 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information