First Time Movie and Book Made You Weep

Cachoo

First film cry: "Born Free"--I was so young and loved Elsa the lion. It was a bittersweet though ultimately happy ending and I bawled.

First book cry: Decades later I finally wept (twice) reading "The Color Purple." One cry had to do with correspondence and one with a surprise towards the end.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
When I was little, I cried at the end of The Wizard of Oz. From back then to now, hearing a woman cry makes me cry, so when Dorothy cried at the end of the movie, so did I.

Then it drifted on to Brian's Song. And it never stopped with movies. I will sometimes watch the end of a movie just to get to the part that makes me cry.

Books, I honestly don't remember the first. I cried less when reading books, although To Kill A Mockingbird was very upsetting in so many regards, especially when

Atticus was telling the family about Tom Robinson's death. "18 bullet holes...they didn't have to shoot him that much..."
I believe this part made me cry.

I cried when watching The Color Purple, but not when reading the book. One of the rare instances where I love the movie and really don't care for the book.

Recently, the last Harry Potter book had me crying throughout.

hanca

Values her privacy
Recently, watching Three girls on TV made me cry. It is about girls who were groomed and sexually abused. For those who missed it, it is also on Netflix.

Where the Red Fern Grows made me sob. I can remember reading it under my covers with a flashlight because I was supposed to be asleep. My mom came in because she heard me crying and I think was ready to get mad at me for being up so late but she saw what I was reading and just gave me a hug :lol:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
First film cry: "Born Free"--I was so young and loved Elsa the lion. It was a bittersweet though ultimately happy ending and I bawled.

Dear God, this. John Barry's score is so bittersweet and majestic and poignant at the same time. I still bawl like a baby if I see the finale of the movie. :wuzrobbed

Susan1

First? I have no idea, but I do remember the story of my parents taking me to see The Sound of Music and when people were leaving they were all pointing at me crying my eyes out (I remember that I was so happy they got away) and talking about how sweet it was that someone as young as I was was so moved by it. I would have had to be 7 or 8?

Before that - probably anything with dogs in it. Books, I wouldn't have any idea of the first. When I was in high school I was babysitting and the oldest girl who was 10 just got done reading a book and was crying. She wanted me to read it. She stayed in her room while I did. It was a small hardback book that took about an hour. (I'm getting chills right now.) It was about a girl who had cancer and kept moths in jars on her windowsill and when she died they all turned into butterflies. I went in her room when I was done and we both sat and cried. Man, yeah..... :wuzrobbed

Where the Red Fern Grows made me sob.
Funny story - my friend Connie and I took her little sister to see that movie when we were like 15-16 years old. She was so embarrassed that we were sobbing out loud she walked away! When I was married, about the only time I got to be in charge of movie rental, I got West Side Story and Where the Red Fern Grows. We watched Where the Red Fern Grows first and my husband and his son thought it was going to be so lame. Jeremy ended up sitting on the floor in front of the t.v. riveted. And they both cried like babies at the end. And then they slept through West Side Story.

I still bawl like a baby if I see the finale of the movie
Too many to even list. Field of Dreams the other night - no matter where I tune in, I get chills every time something magical happens. And cry buckets at the end.

I will sometimes watch the end of a movie just to get to the part that makes me cry.
Me too.
Brian's Song - geez. Just thinking about these movies make me want to cry.

Well, my aunt used to say that we cry over dog food commercials. :)

Last edited:

Cachoo

I forget about the importance of music in these films. I remember the "Brian's Song" theme was automatic for brimming eyes for awhile.

I suppose this should be about those books and films that truly touched you at any age. Given that do you recall a skating movie called "Champions, A Love Story?" I was just watching casually way back when and that movie had me in tears. Sometimes you know a story will get to you and then other times you are taken completely by surprise .

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I forget about the importance of music in these films. I remember the "Brian's Song" theme was automatic for brimming eyes for awhile.

I suppose this should be about those books and films that truly touched you at any age. Given that do you recall a skating movie called "Champions, A Love Story?" I was just watching casually way back when and that movie had me in tears. Sometimes you know a story will get to you and then other times you are taken completely by surprise .

OMG Yes I remember that movie! Made me cry big time!

Japanfan

I don't tend to cry often at movies and don't remember if I did when I was child.

But for really sad movies, I still remember 'Born Free' and 'Where The Red Fern Grows'.

More recently, the ending of 'Far From Heaven' comes to mind (Julianne Moore deserved an Oscar for that film). I still think of it too this day.

And I do remember being near tears at the end of 'The Hungry Games' trilogy. I reread it multiple times. I was near tears not because it was sad, but because it was so very beautiful.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
First read: My mother used to read to us for about 30 mins at bedtime before & after we could read for ourselves. I remember my 2 sisters & me crying our eyes out over Black Beauty. I must have been about 5 or 6. I'm not sure about 1st movie - I tend to tear up for commercials on TV. But when I was in college a date took me to see Gone With the Wind at the movies & I ugly cried at the end.

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
Most recently, I sobbed like a baby for the last few chapters of "The Art of Racing in the Rain". And "Steel Magnolias" always gets me.

KatieC

Movie: Captains Courageous, with Spencer Tracy and Freddie Bartholomew. Cried like a baby.
Book: Possibly Requiem for a Wren, Neville Shute. Not crying, just stunned was On the Beach.

Japanfan

Most recently, I sobbed like a baby for the last few chapters of "The Art of Racing in the Rain".

Ok, I will prepare myself. I haven't read the book but am very much looking forward to seeing the film when it airs on On-Demand.

Winnipeg

Bambi and since then, I never watch a movie that has an animal in it that could get hurt or suffer.

Book? A Man Called David about child abuse. However, later I felt "had" because it turned out he made it up (on Oprah).

manhn

The Last American Virgin or Terms of Endearment, can’t remember which one I saw first.

TV show: Dynasty, when Steven’s boyfriend died.

Book: On the Edge, book no 40 in the Sweet Valley High series.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
First movie cry: Watching E.T. in the theater (a long time ago)!! :lol:
High five, was about to post the exact same memory. But I am a huge weeper and not only for sad moments, but for happy ones too or even in front of a sportsman/woman winning a competition seeing them ecstatic on the podium singing their anthem. My kids always look at me when they know I might cry which annoys me greatly so just to prove them wrong I've gotten better at keeping it straight :D Yet when I am alone, it's the :wuzrobbed party :rofl:
I cry much less reading a book though. Don't even remember ever crying reading one.

Rob

Beach Bum
Lad, a Dog for book. I still have my childhood copy, and the last pages are rippled and watermarked from when I was like 8 yrs old.

Probably Love Story for both movie and book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information