Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

Remembering those years is not the point - but the first 3 years are of utmost importance to the emotional development of children. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_disorder

The most important thing in the first three years is that the child be cared for, for the majority or the time, by someone who loves them and has a stake in their development. Harry fits that bill perfectly. In the cases of royal children, often the long time nanny fits the bill too. The biggest issue is when the mother gets jealous of the attachment to the nanny and fires them. It is reported that is why Diana fired the nanny that cared for the boys, or at least William, as a baby baby. Assuming Harry and Meghan keep the same nanny, that will be good for Archie, especially if they plan to both be away a lot.

William and Kate seems to have clicked well with their nanny and there has been no reported issues of jealousy even though I am sure the kids are very attached to her. Kate also seems to be very hands on and enjoys doing the everyday mom stuff.

Should be required reading for all parents.

Vagabond

Remembering those years is not the point - but the first 3 years are of utmost importance to the emotional development of children. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_disorder
So, are you suggesting that Harry and Meghan are grounded for the next two and a half years, or just Meghan?

I did say that the circumstances of Charles's infancy were different, but some people seem so determined to criticize every single thing the Duke and Duchess of Sussex do that they can't accept that theey might make valid decisions about how to lead their lives and how to raise their own child.

Sheesh!

canbelto

So, are you suggesting that Harry and Meghan are grounded for the next two and a half years, or just Meghan?

I did say that the circumstances of Charles's infancy were different, but some people seem so determined to criticize every single thing the Duke and Duchess of Sussex do that they can't accept that theey might make valid decisions about how to lead their lives and how to raise their own child.

Sheesh!

I don;t think anyone is saying that other than @AxelAnnie. I'm just saying that Charles' upbringing isn't necessarily the upbringing we should all look to. At the time the Queen and Philip thought they were doing what was best for him by making him tough and independent, but that wasn't how Charles was wired.

But I'm sure Harry is at home with Archie and everything is fine. I really don't like mommy shaming.

About Serena: wish she'd had more fight in her.

mag

Totally OT, but I can see why it would be hard for her. She has won so much, has been such a force in tennis. Must be difficult to keep up the killer motivation.

ballettmaus

I suspect whoever Meghan married she would have a nanny and household staff so that she could continue doing the things she likes to do. That is not a judgment. Not every woman wants to spend months, let alone years, just raising their children. There is nothing wrong with that. Meghan has apparently been involved in a bunch of stuff while on leave, it has been reported that they hired a night nanny right from the start. I think it is good that she knows herself well enough to make those decisions. For the record, I stayed home with all my babies, I loved every minute of it, I was never bored, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but it is not for everyone. As long as children are loved and well cared for, women should be free to make these decisions without being shamed.

Who said anything about her staying home to raise kids? Like I said, I don't have an opinion on whether she's with Archie or not. That's her business. And if she wants to attend a tennis match or baby shower halfway around the world, that's her business, too. All I ask is that she/they acknowledge that that is not what the majority of people do because they can neither afford it nor do they have the time to. In other words, she/they are not leading the normal life it was said they would lead.

Reactions: mag

mag

In other words, she/they are not leading the normal life it was said they would lead.

Neither Harry nor Meghan understand the kind of life you are talking about. Harry grew up in palaces and for the “Diana wanted her boys to see how other people lived” PR stuff, Diana didn’t know or understand how most people live either. She was the daughter of a very wealthy Earl. Not the least bit “normal.” I don’t know how much money Meghan’s parents had while she was growing up, but from the photos I have seen she was at least comfortably middle class. For the past five or so years she has not been living a “normal” life and does not appear to have friends who have “normal” lives. Compared to Charles and the Queen, H&M are more “normal.” They don’t have footmen or butlers. They are truly roughing it.

My point is, anyone who believes the “normal life” “Meghan does all the cooking” “they are just like us” spin, needs to give their head a shake. M&H may want that to be true, they may even think it is true, but it simply isn’t. The moment Meghan got engaged to Harry she was no longer a normal person.

That said, lots of seemingly normal people have full time nannies and take trips across the world for only a few days. Those people are “normal” when compared to all the people they associate with.

I know this will be shocking, but they also don’t work full time, Harry has not suddenly become an expert on climate change, and Meghan isn’t a perfectly serene angel all the time. All things they would have you believe.

Gosh, I think I miss the ribbon cutting, flower collecting, hospital visiting days!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don;t think anyone is saying that other than @AxelAnnie. I'm just saying that Charles' upbringing isn't necessarily the upbringing we should all look to. At the time the Queen and Philip thought they were doing what was best for him by making him tough and independent, but that wasn't how Charles was wired.

But I'm sure Harry is at home with Archie and everything is fine. I really don't like mommy shaming.

Mommy shaming? Nope.

Meghan, and I think fairly, has been criticized for some of extravagant the choices she has made.
The extravagant weekend in New York for her OTT baby shower.
Trip to Ibiza, and another to France for a little get away, then over the pond to attend a US Open. Giving instructions to her neighbors at Frogmore instructions on how to be, where they can park, etc. And all this while declining the Queen's invitation to Balmoral.

It is the optics. And Royals generally keep an eye on how their actions are perceived. Her history as a Hollywood starlet will always chase her and help inform people's opinions. IMO, she is not doing herself any favors.

Japanfan

Is going to the US Open one of the responsibilities of the British Royals?

I think there is an expectation that royals show up at certain things. So, not a responsibility in the sense of a royal duty, but could be seen as such in terms of having a public presence.

Japanfan

Meghan, and I think fairly, has been criticized for some of extravagant the choices she has made.
The extravagant weekend in New York for her OTT baby shower.
Trip to Ibiza, and another to France for a little get away, then over the pond to attend a US Open. Giving instructions to her neighbors at Frogmore instructions on how to be, where they can park, etc. And all this while declining the Queen's invitation to Balmoral.

It is the optics. And Royals generally keep an eye on how their actions are perceived. Her history as a Hollywood starlet will always chase her and help inform people's opinions. IMO, she is not doing herself any favors.

I don't see anything wrong with her doing all of the above. Royals have lives of wealth and privilege.

And Megan would be criticized no matter what she did.

AxelAnnie

[QUOTE="Japanfan, post: 5631822, member: 588"

And Megan would be criticized no matter what she did.
[/QUOTE]
Why do you think that? And for heaven sake, don't say it is race.

Gil-Galad

I wasn't talking about Meghan but about Charles. Saying "he doesn't remember those 2 years and hence he didn't suffer any consequences" simply ignores child psychology.

I think taking small trips without your children if the bond between primary caregiver and child is otherwise strong should be no problem in most cases.

AxelAnnie

No, I wouldn't say it is race. But she is criticized often, and her every movement is scrutinized. This thread provides ample evidence of that.
True. I have a feeling being American and an actress she was not prepared for the intensity and restrictions of being a Royal.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
:confused:

I just stated that Megan was often criticized on this board. So I don't see how I came across as an 'all-knowing expert', nor how your statement applies to me.

Why do you think that remark was pointed at you? When I read it I thought it was pointed at "all-knowing experts" - you have never come across that way. If someone's post doesn't name you or quote you then it's probably not about you.

Japanfan

Why do you think that remark was pointed at you? When I read it I thought it was pointed at "all-knowing experts" - you have never come across that way. If someone's post doesn't name you or quote you then it's probably not about you.

I thought it was pointed at me because you included a point from me when you made the "all-knowing experts" comment. Can't find that post now. Thank you for the clarification.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I thought it was pointed at me because you included a point from me when you made the "all-knowing experts" comment. Can't find that post now. Thank you for the clarification.

Actually the original post was by skatesindreams, not me. Since she is so kind to everyone I was surprised that you thought she was admonishing you.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I work with someone from Sweden and today I noticed she had a coffee mug with the Swedish Royal Family on it! We had a long conversation about them and the race they put on every year. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information