2019/20 ISU Grand Prix Assignments & Alternates thread

Rock2

Skate America has one of the deepest fields of all the Grand Prix stops this season. I would hate to see Gracie have to go through a second time her experience at the Rostelecom Cup.

To help Gold get back into a competitive mindset, perhaps baby steps with some smaller non-qualifying events first might be the answer.

That is assuming, she wants to return to the sport at the highest level at all.

Seriously.

Her physical training is progressing for sure but what about her mental fitness? That we don't know and it's that part of her that probably needs the most care. I'm not sure throwing her into the spotlight with no competitive run throughs would exactly be chicken soup for the soul for her.

Dobre

This is a case where JSF doesn't really have to worry from a self-interest perspective, because it's not like anybody on this list is a threat to Hanyu.

If Japan was like certain other countries, we would ask ourselves who on the list could lose to Shimada. (In which case, I suppose the answer would be Orzel as he lost to Koshiro head-to-head in Ljubluana last year. Though, really, Irakli is fully capable of it and does not yet have an invitation). Or we might ask ourselves who could lose to Yamamoto. (In which case, the answer there is that I really don't know). But Japan usually goes for the top rather than the bottom of the list when it comes to replacement selections.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

On another NHK note I am wondering like @alchemy void is which Russian chick will withdraw so NHK can assign you know who! lol :cheer2:

On another NHK note I am wondering which American chick will withdraw so that NHK can assign someone i want instead.. lol! :cheer2:

You know damn well that top Russian skaters don't withdraw unless they are injured. So whatever you are wishing/hopping to happen to the Russian chicks, be aware of Karma - "yours" may get it twice as hard and twice as painful.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
On another NHK note I am wondering which American chick will withdraw so that NHK can assign someone i want instead.. lol! :cheer2:

You know damn well that top Russian skaters don't withdraw unless they are injured. So whatever you are wishing/hopping to happen to the Russian chicks, be aware of Karma - "yours" may get it twice as hard and twice as painful.

"YOU NEED to calm down." - Taylor Swift, 2019.

Holy Cow you sure read into sh*t that aint even there.

This is a fun ongoing thing with alchemy void and you stick your lunchhooks into and ruin it. Bud out!!!!!!

(seriously .. put your keyboard down.. go for a walk.. see a movie.... you know...)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

essence_of_soy said:
That is assuming, she wants to return to the sport at the highest level at all.

Seriously.

Her physical training is progressing for sure but what about her mental fitness? That we don't know and it's that part of her that probably needs the most care. I'm not sure throwing her into the spotlight with no competitive run throughs would exactly be chicken soup for the soul for her.

I am as aware of Gold's mental fitness as much as anyone else is on this board, and would never push an individual into anything they didn't want.

In my original post, I tried to indicate that a little more delicately in my last sentence. My apologies if you didn't pick up on that.

Anyway, it's nice to see Gracie just skating again for herself.

Tinami Amori

"YOU NEED to calm down." - Taylor Swift, 2019.
Holy Cow you sure read into sh*t that aint even there.
It's pathetic when some one says/does something bluntly offensive and then tells the offended to calm down.
The "sh*t" that you said is very much there.
  • You did not say "I hope someone in that group withdraws so that my favorite can get an assignment".
  • You singled out "Russian girls" from the whole group of girls, hoping one of them "withdraws".
  • You know perfectly damn well that for a Russian junior right now (given the internal competition) a reason for withdrawing must be something very critical and not "i am not skating GP, my grand-mother is sick".

Don't play a victim here. You knew what you were saying and hopping for, even if not expressed directly. And you singled out "Russians".

Good lord, could you imagine the reaction if you would have dared mention Tutberidze? :eek: :yikes:

There is a lot to be mentioned about Tutberidze, the media and fans are now recognizing what accomplishments she has during last 4-5 years.... :D

Sylvia

TBD
Current TBD spots:
USA - 1 in all 4 disciplines
CAN - 1 lady/pair
FRA - 1 man/lady/dance team
CHN - 1 in all 4 disciplines
RUS - 1 man/pair/dance team
JPN - 1 pair (Koshiro Shimada & Yuhana Yokoi have filled the NHK TBD singles spots as of 7/31)

Next 12 men on last season's ISU SB total scores list:
AZE Vladimir LITVINTSEV (RC)
ISR Daniel SAMOHIN (IdF)
RUS Anton SHULEPOV (IdF)
AUS Brendan KERRY (SC)
GER Paul FENTZ (SC)
ISR Alexei BYCHENKO (NHK)
GEO Irakli MAYSURADZE (none)
RUS Alexey EROKHOV (none)
JPN Sota YAMAMOTO (NHK) <-- added in (thought he already had two)
CAN Conrad ORZEL (NHK)
USA Alexei KRASNOZHON (RC; also could get the Skate America TBD)
JPN Mitsuki SUMOTO (none)

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Don't play a victim here. You knew what you were saying and hopping for, even if not expressed directly. And you singled out "Russians".
Of course he singled out Russians, because he wants Perkova in. There is no other chance for her making it.

And now, everybody leans back, and enjoys the season start tomorrow. Enough drama still to come. Don't shoot your wads that early :D

J

Jeschke

Next 11 men on last season's ISU SB total scores list:
AZE Vladimir LITVINTSEV (RC)
ISR Daniel SAMOHIN (IdF)
RUS Anton SHULEPOV (IdF)
AUS Brendan KERRY (SC)
GER Paul FENTZ (SC)
ISR Alexei BYCHENKO (NHK)
GEO Irakli MAYSURADZE (none)
RUS Alexey EROKHOV (none)
CAN Conrad ORZEL (NHK)
USA Alexei KRASNOZHON (RC; also could get the Skate America TBD)
JPN Mitsuki SUMOTO (none)
Am I a bad patriot when out of this group the last I want to get the spot is Fentz? :saint:

Tinami Amori

Of course he singled out Russians, because he wants Perkova in. There is no other chance for her making it.

Because the skater (Leonova) they want assigned there is a Russian, and there are already three Russian skaters, ergo one of the three must withdraw.
There is not one mention of "Leonova" or "Perkova" in the post i replied to. Or in any earlier posts this this topic by ANL or AV.

And! the post is about "NHK" (not Russian GP event), Russians don't get to replace "a Russian with a Russian" at NHK. The statement was "which Russian chick will go, so NHK can replace her with another one that we want".

Here is the post:
On another NHK note I am wondering like @alchemy void is which Russian chick will withdraw so NHK can assign you know who! lol :cheer2:

...besides the skaters, that were called "chicks to be replaced" are Euro Champ, Olympic/World Champ, Junior World Champ.... not exactly "chicks" given their rank, status and accomplishments.

hanca

Values her privacy
You are right that a Russian skater does not have to be replaced by another Russian skater, skater from any country could be the replacement. However, if a Russian skater doesn’t withdraw, the replacement cannot be Leonova because there would be too many Russians in the event. So ANL was right when he/she suggested that Russian skater could withdraw. I am not quite sure about their obsession with Leonova - I think all Rusian ladies who got their GP are much better than Leonova and deserve to compete there - but it clearly wasn’t any anti-Russian sentiment that made the poster write what he/she wrote. The poster just hoped that Leonova will have at least some (minimal) chance to get in.

Tinami Amori

I am not quite sure about their obsession with Leonova - I think all Rusian ladies who got their GP are much better than Leonova and deserve to compete there..
Because in some social groups it is good and desired to praise an underdog/loser/less privileged over an accomplished and at the top. Leonova is not that pretty, does not have a great body form, and not that accomplished in skating (compared to other top ladies), so she gets her share of "fans" for "minuses" rather than "pluses".

Sylvia

TBD
Updating @SamuraiK's post back on June 20:

LADIES (next 12):
RUS SERAFIMA SAKHANOVICH (SC)
RUS ANASTASIA GUBANOVA (none)
KOR YELIM KIM (SC)
RUS ALENA LEONOVA (none)
RUS ANASTASIA GULIAKOVA (none)
JPN MARIN HONDA (COC)
KOR YOUNG YOU (SC)
ITA MARINA PIREDDA (none; also listed as a JGP sub. for POL)
AZE EKATERINA RYABOVA (RC)
RUS MARIA SOTSKOVA (IdF)
USA COURTNEY HICKS (none)
HKG YI CHRISTY LEUNG (none)

PAIRS (next 11 with help of @her grace):
PRK RYOM & KIM (COC)
RUS EFIMOVA & KOROVIN (COC)
CAN WALSH & MICHAUD (RC)
USA CALALANG & JOHNSON (SC)
CHN TANG & YANG (SC)
AUS ALEXANDROVSKAYA & WINDSOR (SA)
CAN RUEST & WOLFE (SA)
ITA GHILARDI & AMBROSINI (RC)
USA FENG & NYMAN (none)
USA LOCKLEY & PROCHNOW (none)
USA LU & MITROFANOV (RC)

DANCE (next 10):
RUS POPOVA & MOZGOV (SC)
FIN TURKKILA & VERSLUIS (RC)
LTU REED & AMBRULEVICIUS (RC)
FRA GALYAVIEVA & THAURON (RC)
RUS SHPILEVAYA & SMIRNOV (none)
GER KOCH & NUECHTERN (none)
ITA TESSARI & FIORETTI (none)
GBR TWEEDALE & BUCKLAND (none)
HUN YANOVSKAYA & LUKACS (none)
GER MUELLER & DIECK (none)

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
There is not one mention of "Leonova" or "Perkova" in the post i replied to. Or in any earlier posts this this topic by ANL or AV.

And! the post is about "NHK" (not Russian GP event), Russians don't get to replace "a Russian with a Russian" at NHK. The statement was "which Russian chick will go, so NHK can replace her with another one that we want".

Here is the post:

...besides the skaters, that were called "chicks to be replaced" are Euro Champ, Olympic/World Champ, Junior World Champ.... not exactly "chicks" given their rank, status and accomplishments.

You post enough here that you should know this is obviously a joke and wishful thinking that Leonova once again makes her way into the NHK Trophy field, as she did last year and she skated spectacular there- the best I’ve seen her in a long time and her short program was one of my favorites from anyone the entire season.

Also, give up on the pretty and ‘body form’ thing. That’s not helping anything or anyone, as ‘real’ as you want to be.

She’s Russian and not Medvedeva. You should love her.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Because in some social groups it is good and desired to praise an underdog/loser/less privileged over an accomplished and at the top. Leonova is not that pretty, does not have a great body form, and not that accomplished in skating (compared to other top ladies), so she gets her share of "fans" for "minuses" rather than "pluses".

:lol:

They just love her and it's not that deep. Also it's clear that Leonova chose to stay in figure skating because she loves it and she's enjoying herself during performance, which is something very likeable, although I'm far from her biggest fan.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I am not quite sure about their obsession with Leonova

:eek: :eek: :rofl:

the best I’ve seen her in a long time and her short program was one of my favorites from anyone the entire season.

Indeed. It's her best program in 11 senior seasons. I admire that commitment to improving her skating, even though she clearly realizes she's fortunate to even get one Challenger assignment, much less any major events.

so she gets her share of "fans" for "minuses" rather than "pluses".

Or perhaps it's because she's unique as hell? Particularly in comparison to other skaters and coaching teams who prioritize infinite transitions and cookie-cutter choreography?

Anyways, Leonova is now being thoroughly discussed in the Grand Prix assignments thread, so our work here is halfway done. :p

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Alternates list based on last season's ISU SB total scores:

PAIRS (next 10):
PRK RYOM & KIM (COC)
RUS EFIMOVA & KOROVIN (COC)
CAN WALSH & MICHAUD (RC)
USA CALALANG & JOHNSON (SC)
CHN TANG & YANG (SC)
AUS ALEXANDROVSKAYA & WINDSOR (SA)
CAN RUEST & WOLFE (SA)
ITA GHILARDI & AMBROSINI (RC)
USA FENG & NYMAN (none) (their split was announced on his IG yesterday :()
USA LOCKLEY & PROCHNOW (none)
USA LU & MITROFANOV (RC)

olympic

Skate America TBD have been posted. (Grid has not been updated yet)

Alexei Krasnozhon http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03109449.htm
Amber Glenn http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03109450.htm
Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03109451.htm
Caroline Green/Michael Parsons http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03109452.htm

C/J?! I felt that was going to happen. C/J won Skate Detroit over L/M by a healthy margin and F/N split recently, so they had a lot going for them anyway, but I wonder if what US officials saw at Champs Camp influenced the final decision.

Still, they were 4th on the alternate's list (3rd if you don't count the PRK team; would they be allowed by their Fed to compete in NA, Japan or Europe?). Maybe giving SA to L/M, and taking a gamble that C/J would be selected to go to another GP event would have been the right move ....

clairecloutier

@olympic The feds do not really go by the alternate list order in terms of picking pairs alternates; we've seen that the last few years. So if U.S. Figure Skating felt that C/J was the pair most deserving of 2 GP spots (among teams who only had 1 pick to start with), this was the right thing to do IMO.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate America TBD have been posted. (Grid has not been updated yet)
Grids are updated ow with the Skate America additions (Sept. 10):

MEN: https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...1487-entries-ladies-2019-20-all-6-events/file
TBD host spots still open: FRA, CHN, RUS, JPN (Koshiro Shimada not yet listed on grid)

LADIES: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...1487-entries-ladies-2019-20-all-6-events/file
TBD host spots still open: CAN, FRA, CHN, JPN (Yuhana Yokoi not yet listed on grid)

PAIRS: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...21485-entries-pairs-2019-20-all-6-events/file
TBD host spots still open: CAN, CHN, RUS, JPN

ICE DANCE: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...4-entries-ice-dance-2019-20-all-6-events/file
TBD host spots still open: FRA, CHN, RUS
Current TBD spots [as of Aug. 21]:
USA - 1 in all 4 disciplines
CAN - 1 lady/pair
FRA - 1 man/lady/dance team
CHN - 1 in all 4 disciplines
RUS - 1 man/pair/dance team
JPN - 1 pair (Koshiro Shimada & Yuhana Yokoi have filled the NHK TBD singles spots as of 7/31)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information