2019/20 ISU Grand Prix Assignments & Alternates thread

russell30

I think for Chinese alternates
Men: Zhang He
Ladies: N/A (whoever gets the highest score at CS)
Pairs: Wang/Wang
Ice Dance: Ning/Wing or whatever name is

Han Yan looked quite impressive recently...I think he might get the nod!

If Zhang is healthy Yu/Zhang for the pairs

Ziquan Zhao maybe for the Ladies? I heard she was back!!

peibeck

Simply looking
I am hoping Gracie Gold gets Skate America!

Gracies recent run throughs looked good, jumps were back!

I could be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time), but I think she'd still have to meet certain ISU criteria to get a TBA spot at Skate America. And since she used her "comeback" spot option at Cup of Russia a few years ago, I don't think she meets any criteria currently to get a GP slot.

I agree, IF she wants to get back in the pressure cooker of competition, domestic comps would be a great place to start. If she catches the USFSA's eye, they might send her to a Senior B during the fall to avoid going through qualifying for nationals.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
... since she used her "comeback" spot option at Cup of Russia a few years ago...

A few years ago? More like less than one year ago...terrible showing at the 2018/19 season’s Rostelecom. Nowhere to go but up!

Jayar

I could be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time), but I think she'd still have to meet certain ISU criteria to get a TBA spot at Skate America. And since she used her "comeback" spot option at Cup of Russia a few years ago, I don't think she meets any criteria currently to get a GP slot.

I agree, IF she wants to get back in the pressure cooker of competition, domestic comps would be a great place to start. If she catches the USFSA's eye, they might send her to a Senior B during the fall to avoid going through qualifying for nationals.

The only criteria to get a GP host spot is based on ISU rules for eligibility in terms of age, release status, drug testing participation, etc. Anybody can be assigned to those spots by US Figure Skating. Gracie can get the nod.

peibeck

Simply looking
The only criteria to get a GP host spot is based on ISU rules for eligibility in terms of age, release status, drug testing participation, etc. Anybody can be assigned to those spots by US Figure Skating. Gracie can get the nod.

Thank you, Jayar. I said I could be wrong and... well... I was. :lol:

I don't think USFS will go there, but.... Caroline Zhang, anyone? :slinkaway

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I think there is a certain old fashioned beauty about going through Regionals and Sectionals. I see her going that route even though she could easily get a bye some way or another if she showed up to a comp. I think this not competing until regionals is intentional.

Last edited:

Debbie S

USFS could assign Gracie to the SA spot, but since she did not compete this summer and has not been added to the ISP, assigning her would essentially go against USFS protocol, so I doubt they would do that. Champs Camp starts a week from today so we should be able to tell soon who will be there. My guess is Amber Glenn but who knows.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Skate America has one of the deepest fields of all the Grand Prix stops this season. I would hate to see Gracie have to go through a second time her experience at the Rostelecom Cup.

To help Gold get back into a competitive mindset, perhaps baby steps with some smaller non-qualifying events first might be the answer.

That is assuming, she wants to return to the sport at the highest level at all.

Sylvia

TBD
I think there is a certain old fashioned beauty about going through Regionals and Sectionals. ... I think this not competing until regionals is intentional.
Info re. Gold's Nationals qualifying route if that's her intent: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/u-s-ladies-27-a-time-to-reboot.105854/page-2#post-5618310

ETA:

I find it kind of strange that the only change made on the ISU GP grids on August 15 was removing Dmitriev's name from Rostelecom Cup and not adding Koshiro Shimada and Yuhana Yokoi when they were listed on NHK Trophy's official website on August 1. Maybe JSF is waiting to to decide if they are going to add Miura/Kihara as well?

Last edited:

winston

I think there is a certain old fashioned beauty about going through Regionals and Sectionals. I see her going that route even though she could easily get a bye some way or another if she showed up to a comp. I think this not competing until regionals is intentional.

True.
Not terribly unlike the comeback track of Alissa Cizisy. If I recall, Alissa appeared at EGL Regionals, placed 1st. Then continued to Sectionals with a bye due to assignment, or, sadly, maybe that was the year she had to withdraw due to a horrific injury. I clearly don't recall specifics, but Gracie may continue in that vein (NO INJURY THOUGH!!!!).

Here's to a remarkable score from Gracie at Regionals and an assignment-bye through Sectionals. Then, hoping to see you shine at Nationals, Gracie!!!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
USFS could assign Gracie to the SA spot, but since she did not compete this summer and has not been added to the ISP, assigning her would essentially go against USFS protocol, so I doubt they would do that. Champs Camp starts a week from today so we should be able to tell soon who will be there. My guess is Amber Glenn but who knows.

I don't think GG will get it at all. USFSA doesn't like a withdrawal mid competition. Ashley Wagner, anyone?

And her last appearance resulted in a withdrawal as well. Too much risk I would say.

I think Amber will probably get it.

Dont they have to announce soon?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The dates that indicated deadlines have shifted around between mid-August and the beginning of September, although some Feds have posted earlier and trickled them in.

August 15 was the deadline for confirming initial selections (other than TBD's), according to the GP Announcement. That would explain the timing of Dmitriev being crossed out. But the TBD deadline is later, as is replacing non-host picks.

Last edited:

Dobre

Per the post on the GP alternates thread, the men's alternate list is the following.

MEN
AZE VLADIMIR LITVINTZEV (RC)
ISR DANIEL SAMOHIN (IF)
RUS ANTON SHULEPOV (IF)
RUS ARTUR DMITRIEV (NHK)
AUS BRENDAN KERRY (SC)
GER PAUL FENTZ (SC)
ISR ALEXEI BYCHENKO (NHK)
JPN KOSHIRO SHIMADA (SA)
GEO IRAKLI MAYSURADZE (none)
RUS ALEXEY EROKHOV (none)

Who should Russia send to NHK to replace Dmitriev?

NHK often chooses from the top of the list and/or athletes that have demonstrated they may be the most competitive or well known of the lot. The men being as volatile as they are, it's hard to know who the latter might be. Litvintzev is both at the top of this list & had the highest finish of any of the guys on it who attended Worlds. (Worlds was good for him. He finished behind other athletes on this list at Junior Worlds and Europeans).

However, going by the choosing-from-the top theory, it's not clear why Dmitriev was invited in the first place. Which makes one think Japan might have traded Russia for the berth, in which case Shulepov would seem a likely replacement. (Or Erokhov, but I can't think of a time when I've seen NHK choose from the bottom of the list).

Sometimes you see NHK is the best bet for Asian skaters on the list, but there are none.

And sometimes they go with athletes that have a fan following or are popular with Japanese audiences. I don't know who that would be. (Probably Samohin, Kerry, and Bychenko have the most international recognition? Bychenko is already at NHK).

Colonel Green

NHK often chooses from the top of the list and/or athletes that have demonstrated they may be the most competitive or well known of the lot.
This is a case where JSF doesn't really have to worry from a self-interest perspective, because it's not like anybody on this list is a threat to Hanyu.

RoseRed

Per the post on the GP alternates thread, the men's alternate list is the following.

MEN
AZE VLADIMIR LITVINTZEV (RC)
ISR DANIEL SAMOHIN (IF)
RUS ANTON SHULEPOV (IF)
RUS ARTUR DMITRIEV (NHK)
AUS BRENDAN KERRY (SC)
GER PAUL FENTZ (SC)
ISR ALEXEI BYCHENKO (NHK)
JPN KOSHIRO SHIMADA (SA)
GEO IRAKLI MAYSURADZE (none)
RUS ALEXEY EROKHOV (none)

NHK often chooses from the top of the list and/or athletes that have demonstrated they may be the most competitive or well known of the lot. The men being as volatile as they are, it's hard to know who the latter might be. Litvintzev is both at the top of this list & had the highest finish of any of the guys on it who attended Worlds. (Worlds was good for him. He finished behind other athletes on this list at Junior Worlds and Europeans).

However, going by the choosing-from-the top theory, it's not clear why Dmitriev was invited in the first place. Which makes one think Japan might have traded Russia for the berth, in which case Shulepov would seem a likely replacement. (Or Erokhov, but I can't think of a time when I've seen NHK choose from the bottom of the list).

Sometimes you see NHK is the best bet for Asian skaters on the list, but there are none.

And sometimes they go with athletes that have a fan following or are popular with Japanese audiences. I don't know who that would be. (Probably Samohin, Kerry, and Bychenko have the most international recognition? Bychenko is already at NHK).
Koshiro Shimada has already been announced for the NHK host pick, although it hasn't been updated. And presuambly his WD means that Dmitriev is off the list. Sota Yamamoto and Conrad Orzel should be next on the list, though both are at NHK already so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information