2019/20 ISU Grand Prix Assignments & Alternates thread

aftershocks

Banned Member
So you guys are guessing about the alternate and TBD picks? The season is far from starting and as we know, many things can change, even with the actual assignments. Thus, guesses are what they are: premature guesswork.

olympic

Feng and Nyman are the obvious pick for skate America

I was thinking Calalang / Johnson as the pick, but I admit that I'm turning into an Uber. I realize that they have 1 already [as does Lu / Mitrofanov]. The USFSA is probably going to scrutinize early Senior B's and perhaps summer comps. I honestly think that Calalang / Johnson have so much potential to be the top US pair, that the USFSA might just take that risk and give them 2 spots on the GP circuit right out of the gate. Their performances at '19 Nationals after only being together for several months was pretty amazing.

ETA - It’s possible that C/ J being so highly ranked as an alternative means they have a good shot at being selected as an alternative for a WD, so maybe a good strategy would be Feng / Nyman at SA

Last edited:

russell30

hoping Alaine Chartand gets the SC (TBD) pick!! hoping that she starts at the Autumn Classic, if not maybe Pineault or Mallet might get the pick but hoping for Alaine....

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Ive been away for a day or two

My thoughts are still:

Rostelecom should / (needs) to be reassigned a new and actual legit roster.

Ladies is INSANE across the board.

So many skaters / teams doing back to backs

Lets start doing polls!!!! Yippppeeeee! I dont care that its premature but who doenst love a poll?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Figure skating Grand Prix series: Eight matchups to watch – OlympicTalk

Figure skating Grand Prix series: Eight matchups to watch

Highlighting the exciting matchups for Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou and the U.S. ice dancers for the 2019 Grand Prix Series.
olympics.nbcsports.com

SkAm ladies: Um, thats right they better mention Ms. Tennell. How will Anna stack? Medal? yes? What were PBs last season internationally?

Anna is the National Champion of Russia, correct? Not The Trusova.

So SkAm is gonna have 2 ladies who have quads and then Tuks with her 3axel??? Hmmmmm my stomach is churning now. lol

Article summary:

Men's Best Matchups: SkAm, IdF, Rostelecom

Ladies Best Matchups: SkAm and NHK

Pairs Best Matchup: NHK

Dance Best Matchups: SkAm, IdF

aftershocks

Banned Member
I honestly think that Calalang / Johnson have so much potential to be the top US pair, that the USFSA might just take that risk and give them 2 spots on the GP circuit right out of the gate.

I love watching Calalang/Johnson too. I wish they'd paired sooner! :encore: I'm always all about U.S. pairs! There are a number of teams, if given the resources and training time to develop, as well as the necessary competitive opportunities, could become a top U.S. pair.

You talking about C/J having the potential to be 'the' top is a lovely thing and a compliment, but again that could be said about a number of exciting U.S. pairs teams (including Lu/Mitrofanov, new team: Chan/Howe, Feng/Nyman, et al), despite the general continued tendency to look down on U.S. pairs.

It will be exciting to see what the more established U.S. pairs teams will be able to put out this season as well. :love:

Tinami Amori

Rostelecom should / (needs) to be reassigned a new and actual legit roster.
;) But it is not going to happen... 6 Federations were present at that table, and nobody complained.. :D
Actually, nobody but you and 2 more are complaining... Russians picked what they wanted, and other Feds picked what they wanted and it stays that way.. so too bad, so sad. :2faced:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

^^Dumplin, that is week old news #stale... My complaining stopped last Friday. And, I believe, you've already commented on this 5 days ago.

I came to terms with it back in 2013 how RC picks their events and then also how they replace withdrawals. Im rather surprised though that they didnt choose Amber Corwin and Latetia Hubert. Surely they must be on the ISU World Standing list somewhere.

By whats shown on TV RC is becoming even less attended than SkAms, and that is difficult to achieve.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

^^Dumplin, that is week old news #stale... My complaining stopped last Friday. And, I believe, you've already commented on this 5 days ago.
Well it's hard to tell when you stopped, when you kept complaining 4-5 times... 🤣

I came to terms with it back in 2013 how RC picks their events and then also how they replace withdrawals. Im rather surprised though that they didnt choose Amber Corwin and Latetia Hubert. Surely they must be on the ISU World Standing list somewhere.
Every Federation does what's best for them. When it is one's turn to pick, they pick what's best for their athletes, to win/place and get to GPF. They also negotiate, and come to a mutual decision. This is not a charity event.:rofl:

By whats shown on TV RC is becoming even less attended than SkAms, and that is difficult to achieve.
Besides the fact that it is not true.
hardly any empty seats...

Event if it was..... the point is not "audience".. :)

That's how it works, when you're in line at a food-court, and it is your turn to pick, you pick the biggest/best piece.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Well it's hard to tell when you stopped, when you kept complaining 4-5 times... 🤣

Every Federation does what's best for them. When it is one's turn to pick, they pick what's best for their athletes, to win/place and get to GPF. They also negotiate, and come to a mutual decision. This is not a charity event.:rofl:

Besides the fact that it is not true.
hardly any empty seats...

Event if it was..... the point is not "audience".. :)

That's how it works, when you're in line at a food-court, and it is your turn to pick, you pick the biggest/best piece.

LOLLL

Dumplin I have been a fan of yours here at FSU, I hope nothing changes this......

As far as Rostelecom....Puh-lease... There are more rainbow colored (empty) seats glaring out at me than pride flags here at LA Pride... And Im in the middle of it in WEHO... and that, too, is difficult to achieve.

P.S. did someone say fast food? Child.......

Tinami Amori

LOLLL
Dumplin I have been a fan of yours here at FSU, I hope nothing changes this......
Up to you. I am not here to "collect fans"... :lol:

As far as Rostelecom....Puh-lease... There are more rainbow colored (empty) seats glaring out at me than pride flags here at LA Pride... And Im in the middle of it in WEHO... and that, too, is difficult to achieve.
There are three options. Either the LA Pride Parade needs serious help with attendance, or you need glasses, or a new TV screen....I am guessing it is the last two.. ;)

Tinami Amori

Rostelecom already posting official event announcements.

Mikhail Kolyada spoke with Tatiana Flade, and said:
-that he'd rather not skate in GP in Moscow this time, it's too much pressure.
  • he has never been to Canada before, wants to see Canada, and glad he got the event he asked for.
  • he likes to skate in Japan, and also glad that he got Japan.

Samurina

Who will get Japan host spot now there are no Japanese pairs Miura/Ichiashi split up, Wang/Audet represent Canada so foolish bc they could have been on world team in Japan. Suzaki/Kihara split up after world so depressing idk who the host spot will go to maybe an American team like Cal/Johnson and Liu/Mitro

RoseRed

Who will get Japan host spot now there are no Japanese pairs Miura/Ichiashi split up, Wang/Audet represent Canada so foolish bc they could have been on world team in Japan. Suzaki/Kihara split up after world so depressing idk who the host spot will go to maybe an American team like Cal/Johnson and Liu/Mitro
He's Canadian and she's American (as far as I know), and they train in Canada. It would make no sense for them to represent Japan. He represented Japan in the past because his partner was Japanese.

Sylvia

TBD
Francis Boudreau-Audet didn't need to have Japanese citizenship to to compete at 2016 and 2017 Worlds with Sumire Suto (and at Junior Worlds with Ami Koga before that). Only one partner needs to have the citizenship of the country being represented internationally EXCEPT for the Olympics.

Samurina

but did he have citizenship he could've been close i bet, also why did Rika/Shoya split so much potential

Dobre

but did he have citizenship he could've been close i bet

Most of the time I think the assumption is that athletes without Japanese ancestry won't get Japanese citizenship. (They essentially know this when they go to compete for Japan). We have heard that Tim Koleto can get it via a combination of marriage & training in Japan for a certain percentage of the year.

(I met a woman once who said she had been married & lived in Japan 7 years without gaining citizenship. Or perhaps she got it that 7th year. Anyway, I'll just cross my fingers for him).

Samurina

I think for Chinese alternates
Men: Zhang He
Ladies: N/A (whoever gets the highest score at CS)
Pairs: Wang/Wang
Ice Dance: Ning/Wing or whatever name is

hanca

Values her privacy
Most of the time I think the assumption is that athletes without Japanese ancestry won't get Japanese citizenship. (They essentially know this when they go to compete for Japan). We have heard that Tim Koleto can get it via a combination of marriage & training in Japan for a certain percentage of the year.

(I met a woman once who said she had been married & lived in Japan 7 years without gaining citizenship. Or perhaps she got it that 7th year. Anyway, I'll just cross my fingers for him).
Wouldn’t they have to also give their original citizenship? I think Japan doesn’t allow dual citizenship. Even those who have each parent with a different citizenship and therefore have two by birth, they have to make a choice when they are 18 or 19. I think even Kavaguti had to give up her Japanese citizenship to be able to get Russian.

Moustaffask8r

Wouldn’t they have to also give their original citizenship? I think Japan doesn’t allow dual citizenship. Even those who have each parent with a different citizenship and therefore have two by birth, they have to make a choice when they are 18 or 19. I think even Kavaguti had to give up her Japanese citizenship to be able to get Russian.
I think you are right and it was the reason why Mervin Tran never got his Japanese citizenships cause he didn’t want to drop his Canadian one

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Wouldn’t they have to also give their original citizenship? I think Japan doesn’t allow dual citizenship. Even those who have each parent with a different citizenship and therefore have two by birth, they have to make a choice when they are 18 or 19.
It’s 22 for Japan. Tennis player Naomi Osaka has to make this choice soon. She lives in the US, but represents Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information