Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Ivanka's dress is awful, as was that white dress and hat she had on earlier in the day. Someone on Twitter said it looked she had a maxipad on her head. I'm surprised. Usually she knows how to dress. (I can't stand her, but usually she does know how to dress!)

Japanfan

Ivanka's dress is awful, as was that white dress and hat she had on earlier in the day. Someone on Twitter said it looked she had a maxipad on her head. I'm surprised. Usually she knows how to dress. (I can't stand her, but usually she does know how to dress!)

I don't care for it either, but think it might look better in person than in a photograph.

And yes, Ivanka is usually well put-together.

Lorac

Much too informal for the occasion, IMO.

I liked Melania's dress.

The collar on it wasn't ideal - if it had just had a simple V neckline it would have just snuck into the sort of dress required for a State banquet still it definitely wasn't her best effort. She just needed to check out the Countess of Wessex who sat on her right to see how to dress for the occasion - gorgeous as always!!!

skatesindreams

Why is Melania so fond of "safari" daywear?
It's not particularly flattering; and another example of being too informal for this event, IMO.

canbelto

I like the cut of Kate's dress but the white color reminds me of too many wedding dresses I've seen recently. Liked Melania's dress, disliked Ivanka's. As for Trump ... no comment.

PDilemma

:eek:

Melania would do okay without the gloves.

What is wrong with her gloves? Do they look like that on purpose or are they just too long or too big?

Melania looks fine sometimes and not so much at other times. But I feel like her big problem is that she has no personal style. There is no look that makes you say, "that's so Melania". She apparently has a stylist, but I feel like he is just picking things that are expensive and seem okay for whatever the event is and has not worked with her to find her own style aesthetic. She just doesn't have one.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
WTF! Why was Kellyanne Conway there? Did Trump want the royal family to meet his Chief Liar & Bootlicker?

ETA: As mentioned before Trump's tux is fckng joke. As for Melania's gloves, maybe she thought she was going to a ball. Do you think she took them off to eat?

Vagabond

What I can't understand is why they gave him this honor.
It wasn't "they," it was Theresa May who made the decision. Good judgment is not considered to be one of her strengths.

Because the UK will need the support of the US post Brexit. NPR did report on exactly why this meeting took place. It wasn't for fun.

It is far from clear that Brexit will actually happen or that Trump will still be President if it happens. But either way, what Britain needs even more than American support is healing. This was not the way to go about it.

And, to go back to my first point, May should have realized that there was a real possibility that she would be forced out and that this might happen right when Trump was about to visit, as, in fact, it did. Neither she nor anyone in the Government is in any position to make meaningful headway on obtaining the kind of support sought.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It wasn't "they," it was Theresa May who made the decision. Good judgment is not considered to be one of her strengths.

It is far from clear that Brexit will actually happen or that Trump will still be President if it happens. But either way, what Britain needs even more than American support is healing. This was not the way to go about it.

And, to go back to my first point, May should have realized that there was a real possibility that she would be forced out and that this might happen right when Trump was about to visit, as, in fact, it did. Neither she nor anyone in the Government is in any position to make meaningful headway on obtaining the kind of support sought.
Probably, not, but that was why they scheduled the visit in the first place.

mag

What is wrong with her gloves? Do they look like that on purpose or are they just too long or too big?

Melania looks fine sometimes and not so much at other times. But I feel like her big problem is that she has no personal style. There is no look that makes you say, "that's so Melania". She apparently has a stylist, but I feel like he is just picking things that are expensive and seem okay for whatever the event is and has not worked with her to find her own style aesthetic. She just doesn't have one.

Shockingly Melania dresses like she is modelling the clothes ;)

I do wonder if her stylist dislikes her. Too many weird and off putting outfits. I wonder if it occurs to her that she can say “no” if the outfit isn’t comfortable. The dress and hat she wore yesterday wasn’t actually bad, the problem, IMHO, was she looked terribly uncomfortable it it. Like it was too tight and she was standing sucking her stomach in and her back hurt.

When it comes to Ivanka, I just can’t get past the vacant eyes and blank expression. It is even worse when she speaks but says nothing. She also has no sense of personal style, IMHO. It looks to me like she wears what she or her stylist thinks she should were. The difference between the Duchess of Cambridge and Ivanka is immense. One has warmth, style, and an intelligent looking expression, the other looks like a Stepford wife.

clairecloutier

Shockingly Melania dresses like she is modelling the clothes ;)

I do wonder if her stylist dislikes her. Too many weird and off putting outfits. I wonder if it occurs to her that she can say “no” if the outfit isn’t comfortable. The dress and hat she wore yesterday wasn’t actually bad, the problem, IMHO, was she looked terribly uncomfortable it it. Like it was too tight and she was standing sucking her stomach in and her back hurt.

Melania Trump's outfits tend to go beyond "nod to local culture" and straight into costume territory. And her dresses yesterday also didn't fit well; she needed to go up a half size or more.

I mostly try not to pay attention to her, but if I had to describe it, the words I would put to Melania's style are tailored, formal, and fitted. It's relatively rare for her to wear anything that's casual, comfortable, or laid-back. Michelle Obama had such a great knack for finding clothes that looked appropriate, yet still somewhat fun and never stilted. Melania always looks as if she's dressing for a business/charity luncheon in NYC with 200 people or something. (Maybe that's what she's used to.) Her clothes are formal and dressy but not classic. And yes, they often look too tight.

MsZem

I see the sea
As long as he is in the UK; interacting with the Royal family, it is hard to avoid.
The visit will end, soon.
If the posts were just about the visit and the interactions with the BRF, that would be one thing. But bitching about Trump and those associated with them is OT, and there's plenty of opportunities to do it in the political thread.

To paraphrase what I wrote yesterday in a different context: Maybe the Trumpland talk can go back to its regular thread, so that this one can focus on current royal events & fashion, bling, and cute royal kids?

canbelto

I think Melania's problem is that so many years later she dresses like a runway model. I've known some runway models who didn't get to supermodel status but did do fashion shoots and runways. The tendency is to look super-sleek and stick-like, with a cold blank expression while taking pictures so that the focus is not on the face, but the clothes. Even now she favors huge sunglasses, big hats, super-sleek dresses, six inch stilettos -- the kind of looks that are favored by fashion magazines. But she's way past the runway model stage of her life and she could expand her style and go for a warmer, more personable look.

By the way I absolutely despise Trump but I do like Melania so this isn't me criticizing her because I hate her. But I do think that as a First Lady the idea is to look more approachable and her clothes tend to scream "get away from me" rather than "First Lady." She could take tips from Ivanka. I don't much like Ivanka but Ivanka does have a way of picking clothes that are fashionable but approachable.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think both Kate and Meghan are good at picking clothes that are fashionable but approachable. Sophie of Wessex is as well.
Of the British royal ladies, my current favorite is probably Princess Eugenie. She chooses clothes that really flatter her figure, and the wedding dress was stunning. Plus I very much admired the message she chose to send by showing off her scar.

Apparently Princess Eugenie has started using her married name.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Maybe it is an issue because it shows how much society has improved in terms of all types of tolerance?

Well, I would love to think so. To me, however, the fact that people keep talking about it indicates lack of tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information