2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I LOVE the music Experience by Einaudi.

There's a useful list of the skaters who have used it so far: https://figure-skating.fandom.com/wiki/Experience

I do like Medvedeva's Exhibition to it. I think she captures the emotion of the music really well. It's fantastic music for skating to.

Oh this is the Mariah Bell free music that still hasnt even had a chance to cool yet?

While, I love the music... uggg. now we have the top 2 US pairs team doing it? Theres a jabillion pieces of music out there.. why are figure skaters so scared to death of not choosing someones current music? The level of fear that exists. Why spend all that money and stuff so you can skate in a crowded field of warhorses. Ill never ever get it. Its like do you want to go shopping at Dante's Boutique or Big Lots. lol.

If I were a choreographer and they came to me, Id simply say, "Nope, its been used too much. Try to stand on you own and do something unique to you. Push yourself. Challenge yourself. SOMETHING." lol And on top of that "I, myself, dont want to choreograph something that was done twice last year and 3 times the current year."

For me, its the equivalent of making it on to American idol, and then you go out there and sing "Happy Birthday." lol

Uggggg.

OK, ANL needed to vent on this one. tee-hee

Japanfan

I think when it comes down to it, similar style or no, P/C just have a quality that is hard to beat. What they do, they do in an astronomical level that other teams who are challenging themselves by trying new things can do that but they still have to match P/C's skating skills and just that extra that they have to seems to be beyond ice dance as a sport as they make it look so easy and effortless while looking impressive. Teams that try to imitate them because they think the style itself is what is making P/C win sort of miss the point because for them, it's not the style itself but P/C's quality and the perfect match of their skating strengths and personal style that seems so genuine from them that is having them win. Some times when teams ice dance, you can tell they are doing elements or trying to punch it hard to show off while P/C never look like they have to even try as if it's a dream.

All that being true, I wish I ubered P/C. OTOH I really do like H/D, and wish they could compete with P/C for the top spot.

The way things look now, L&L will be the next top contenders in Ice Dance - probably for the quad after 2022. Of course ice is slippery and there is no guarantee of that, but that is how it looks to me at the moment. And ice dance is more predictable than singles, at least to a certain extent.

Dobre

OK, in all seriousness, I don't know why we would need this conversation in the Dance Hall again because it has all already been hashed out there at least 2-3 times, but if you really want to have this conversation again, the general dance discussion thread is undoubtedly the better thread to have it in because not only have Papadakis & Cizeron not announced any music for this season yet but neither have Sinitisina & Katsalapov or Lajoie & Lagha or likely many of the other upcoming teams that people may want to throw out in response to the post above. (Also more people may wish to respond who are carefully not doing so in the attempt not to continue the random thread drift in this thread).

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ripping-the-light-fantastic-2019-2020.105567/

starrynight

Whether music is over-used or not ... well, I think the key question is, 'has any skater done the definitive program to it yet?

I think that once a program that is iconic has been created to music, then you have a situation where it becomes quite war horsey and over cooked if a heap of skaters keep using it. But, until that's happened, I don't think so.

In respect of 'Experience', I don't view a few Russian juniors and a couple of lower ranked skaters using it as part of a compilation of songs enough to make it over used. Mariah Bell is the only senior skater of standing to really use it so far.

Orm Irian

In respect of 'Experience', I don't view a few Russian juniors and a couple of lower ranked skaters using it as part of a compilation of songs enough to make it over used. Mariah Bell is the only senior skater of standing to really use it so far.

What's Laurine then, chopped liver? Her SP was the definitive one. Everything else since then has just been a pale attempt to catch the magic, which none of them has done because none has brought as strong a central concept to the piece.

Japanfan

Whether music is over-used or not ... well, I think the key question is, 'has any skater done the definitive program to it yet?

I think that once a program that is iconic has been created to music, then you have a situation where it becomes quite war horsey and over cooked if a heap of skaters keep using it. But, until that's happened, I don't think so.

I think music can be over-used even if no skaters have not done a definitive program to it - though probably most of the war horses have been used for a definitive program.

And sometimes there is more than one definitive program - B/B and V/M's programs to 'Carmen', for example.

I really don't quite understand why skaters keep skating to over-used music. Is it because the music has been deemed suitable for skating? Because it's easier than using something original? Because a pre-cut version is probably easy to obtain, so money doesn't have to be spent on cutting?

Every season, a whole new crop of ladies seemingly decide that they have something unique to bring to 'Carmen', and then a few men think they can do the same. Ditto POTO and other war horses, and on it goes.

I'm usually pretty open to new interpretations of war horses, but do have trouble with "Turandot' as nothing can ever compare to S/Z's program (my favorite program of all time). Though I was okay with S/H's interpretation, which was for them a tribute to S/Z.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

Well, the problem is...that's subjective.

Example: for me, Joshua Farris' is the definitive Schindler's List. But Lipnitskaya happened to have more exposure of her program - given Josh was injured half the season then didn't make the Olympic team - then more people were aware of it than were aware of Josh's. (The next season I even saw brainless comments on social media that Josh must have been inspired by Lipnitskaya.)

I do think it's great to move out of over-used territory. Some of my favourite programs have been to music I've never or almost-never heard used in skating before. Max's Tron program, Andrew's This Is The Moment (and jesus, after hearing it the first time I went, how is this not a warhorse, it's literally the perfect warhorse), Jason's The Room Where It Happens and Love is a Bitch, Josh's Bach SP, Max's bullfighter SP.

But that doesn't mean that a skater shouldn't do warhorses, or that they can't. Many skaters do perfectly lovely programs to warhorses every year.

Mad for Skating

Vincent Zhou
SP: I Will Wait by Mumford and Sons
Choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByIl0CvHL_t/?igshid=imjb2yoqn86p

Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson
FS: You are the Reason by Leona Lewis and Calum Scott
Choreo by Cindy Stuart

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByImRL4Hhxi/?igshid=1ne9emioues9w
SP: Light of the Seven from Game of Thrones
Choreo by Benoit Richaud

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByJjNUGHb5-/?igshid=1kxi00ukjlbcn

I approve of all these music choices!
I’m not a Vincent fan, but he always seems to choose good music, and I think Shae-Lynn will make something beautiful out of it. I just hope he can interpret the music a little more than he usually does.
I adore C/L’s music choices too - I’m not usually a fan of Benoit Richaud’s choreo but the music is amazing so hopefully he can come up with something good.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think music can become overused without any definitive programs. Also, as misskarne noted, the whole idea of definitive programs is subjective - V/M's Carmen was mentioned, and I know it was an important program for them, but honestly I don't remember any of it except that lift. Personally I don't find any Schindler's List program that memorable, and would be really happy if skaters stopped trying to come up with a definitive one.

Of course, one can still bring something fresh and interesting to music that's been used in an iconic program, like Kostner did with Bolero (which I think we can all agree does have a definitive, iconic program associated with it). For me, a strong skater with their own distinctive style (and a good choreographer!) can sometimes put a new and interesting spin on a classic. But skaters who aren't as good simply pale in comparison to all those who have used the music before.

Some music choices start out as original and interesting, like Exogenesis (IIRC originally used by the Kerrs in a 2010 EX and then in 2010-11) or the Pina soundtrack (first used by Savchenko and Szolkowy in 2011-12), and then it seems like everyone follows suit and they too become meh. Perhaps even more so than the classics, because it tends to be a lot of programs within a short period of time.

What's Laurine then, chopped liver? Her SP was the definitive one. Everything else since then has just been a pale attempt to catch the magic, which none of them has done because none has brought as strong a central concept to the piece.
I agree. That program was exceptional, in large part because it had a clear point of view that meant something to her.

And while the quality of ladies skating at Euros can be, shall we say, variable, I would argue that a 5th-place finish means that a skater does have some standing.

starrynight

What's Laurine then, chopped liver?

My apologies. That one slipped my mind. It's a very good program.

But I still don't think that Experience could be considered such a war horse to warrant panning of the music choice. Mariah Bell only used a little section of the music at the end of her free skate - the other music was the more dominant selection. I think it's great music and I'm looking forward to it being used more.

It's just regrettable that two teams chose it for the one season. The bigger concern of using the same music as a direct competitor of the same level is that the comparison can either be favourable or unfavourable. I remember something similar happening when Paul/Islam and Hawayek/Baker both had FDs to Liebestraume. (Although an upside of every dance team training in the same place these days is that double-ups on music choices don't occur as much).

However, I think that Cain/Le-Duc are also mixing in music from the soundtrack to Moonlight, so it might be a fairly different program to the Kneirims'.

This also happened when Davis/White and Hubbell/Donohue both turned up to Stars on Ice this year with Queen Medley music.

I think this is why some teams rush to announce music choices early.

And I don't think war horses are necessarily bad ... they are only a problem, I think, when a skater chooses them because they don't know what else to pick ... rather than having a special desire in mind for using the music.

Last edited:

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Thank you ;) Laurine's SP was dedicated to her elder sister who is deaf and it was one of her best programs ever, if not HER best overall.

Her SP next season will be to "November" by Max Richter and her FP to a Chopin medley, both choreographed by Massimo Scali.

Tada

Thank you ;) Laurine's SP was dedicated to her elder sister who is deaf and it was one of her best programs ever, if not HER best overall.

Her SP next season will be to "November" by Max Richter and her FP to a Chopin medley, both choreographed by Massimo Scali.
It’s wonderful to learn of the inspiration and purpose behind a skater’s choice in music. I wish there was a stream where only purpose etc of chosen music was listed, so we could enjoy each performance even more.

gkelly

Andrew's This Is The Moment (and jesus, after hearing it the first time I went, how is this not a warhorse, it's literally the perfect warhorse),

I guess you were too young for these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-NkjI4fyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIfpbni3q18

Let alone the 1994 Gay Games figure skating, where at least one skater used the song and every single commercial videotape of the event was prefaced by a montage scored to the song.

Of course, lyrics were not allowed in ISU competition in those days.

Japanfan

And I don't think war horses are necessarily bad ... they are only a problem, I think, when a skater chooses them because they don't know what else to pick ... rather than having a special desire in mind for using the music.

Do you think most skaters have a special desire or intention when they pick a war horse? If so, I usually don't see it. Over the past 20 years, only two 'Carmen's' have distinctive for me - Plushenko and V/M.

I like POTO more than Carmen, but the POTO that stands out for me - or that I even remember - is Patrick Chan. And that's not because of the music in particular, but because pretty much any program Chan skated in the first half of his career was outstanding.

'Turandot' will always belong to S/Z for me, although I enjoyed S/H's program more than I expected to. And that may be because in their case, they did have a special desire: to pay tribute to S/Z.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
That it’s extremely unlikely that skater should have their costumes ready at this point in the season.

Sure, I was only commenting on the costumes as they currently stand. As I said, we don't know what Kihira and Satoko each will end up with, or whether they are thinking along the same lines as the costumes they used for the exhibition program previews. It doesn't hurt to share opinions and make suggestions as interested fans, whether or not these ladies have already decided the direction they're each planning to go in for the season. :)

Hottest costume in the past 10 years, dare to disagree!

Nothing to disagree about. You must have misunderstood my comment. I picked it out as an example of thinking outside the box! I love that KStol costume!!! :encore: :swoon: :kickass:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
While, I love the music... uggg. now we have the top 2 US pairs team doing it?

Yes, but the two teams (Knierims and C-G/LeDuc) are planning to use Einaudi's Experience with cuts from separate other pieces of music (C-G/LD are using selections from the Moonlight Soundtrack with the Einaudi piece; the Knierims are using what appears to be a special composition by Maxime Rodriguez with the Einaudi piece). So let's wait and see what happens.

I adore C/L’s music choices too - I’m not usually a fan of Benoit Richaud’s choreo but the music is amazing so hopefully he can come up with something good.

Richaud is choreographing for the Knierims, not for C-G/LD. Camerlengo is choreographing Ash & Tim's fp, and Misha Ge choreographed Ash & Tim's sp.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
SP: Light of the Seven from Game of Thrones
Choreo by Benoit Richaud

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByJjNUGHb5-/?igshid=1kxi00ukjlbcn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-gbqbVd8c

Another team. Richaud is definitely busy!

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByImRL4Hhxi/
"2019/2020 Freeskate Program. You Are The Reason by Calum Scott & Leona Lewis. Choreography by Cindy Stuart 💖"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-v70AVjS0

Vincent Zhou
SP: I Will Wait by Mumford and Sons
Choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cee5S62EfuI

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Looks like Alex Krasnozhon is doing Dracula for one of his programs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxmz3VknsDW/?igshid=1qryici09pwhk
This is the final section of his FS (“Archangel” by Two Steps from Hell).

Alex Krasnozhon's complete music selections are posted on his website now (both programs choreographed by Alex Johnson): http://figureskatersonline.com/alexkrasnozhon/skating/ *added to spreadsheet

SP:
“Runaway” from Westworld: Season 2 (HBO series) by Ramin Djawadi
“Freedom” by Pharrell Williams (clip posted by him last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxqJFulFXTU/ )

FS:
Prelude from Fahrenheit 451 by Bernard Herrmann
“Louis’ Revenge” & “Santiago’s Waltz” from Interview with the Vampire by Elliot Goldenthal
“The Hunters Prelude” from Bram Stoker’s Dracula by Wojciech Kilar
“Archangel” by Two Steps from Hell

Mad for Skating

Sure, I was only commenting on the costumes as they currently stand. As I said, we don't know what Kihira and Satoko each will end up with, or whether they are thinking along the same lines as the costumes they used for the exhibition program previews. It doesn't hurt to share opinions and make suggestions as interested fans, whether or not these ladies have already decided the direction they're each planning to go in for the season. :)

Nothing to disagree about. You must have misunderstood my comment. I picked it out as an example of thinking outside the box! I love that KStol costume!!! :encore: :swoon: :kickass:

I knew what you meant, I was just joking that if anyone else disliked it, we would have words lol.

Richaud is choreographing for the Knierims, not for C-G/LD. Camerlengo is choreographing Ash & Tim's fp, and Misha Ge choreographed Ash & Tim's sp.

Oops, I meant Calalang and Johnson, not Cain/LeDuc! C/J, not C/L. Let me go correct that.

Maria Sotskova
SP: "To Build A Home" [by The Cinematic Orchestra ft. Patrick Watson], choreo. by Nikolai Morozov
FS: Music from the Fifty Shades of Grey film soundtrack, choreo. by Nikita Mikhailov
Source: https://www.goldenskate.com/2019/06/maria-sotskova-2/
(added to spreadsheet)

I'm eager to see these programs (say what you will but the Fifty Shades soundtrack is lit). But I'm not crazy about seeing anything that says "choreo. by Nikolai Morozov" :)

Bigbird

Maria Sotskova
SP: "To Build A Home" [by The Cinematic Orchestra ft. Patrick Watson], choreo. by Nikolai Morozov
FS: Music from the Fifty Shades of Grey film soundtrack, choreo. by Nikita Mikhailov
Source: https://www.goldenskate.com/2019/06/maria-sotskova-2/
(added to spreadsheet)

Why would she try to do 50 Shades? She is uncomfortable with this sort of mood especially when her jumps are so iffy. Will these little girls never learn? It seems like such a lazy choice, I mean there are so many other pieces, Untouchables, Soledad Tango, Once Upon a Time in America, My Way (Frank Sinatra), Moulin Rouge etc....the list goes on and on. When she was with her lesser known coach, her programs fit her like a glove. I miss that Maria.

zebraswan

Why would she try to do 50 Shades? She is uncomfortable with this sort of mood especially when her jumps are so iffy. Will these little girls never learn? It seems like such a lazy choice, I mean there are so many other pieces, Untouchables, Soledad Tango, Once Upon a Time in America, My Way (Frank Sinatra), Moulin Rouge etc....the list goes on and on. When she was with her lesser known coach, her programs fit her like a glove. I miss that Maria.

Your idea of a non-lazy choice is Moulin Rouge? LOLOLOL.

How could you possibly know what mood she is comfortable with? Frank Sinatra seems like a better fit to you? LOL again. She is hardly a "little girl" by any definition these days. I've never been a fan, but it's good that she is open to trying new things after the sleep-inducing programs she's had in the past. Let's face it...she isn't going to be a top contender ever again, so she should do exactly what she wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information