Pairs Discussion Thread 2018-19--"Two Skating as One"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japanfan

:rofl:

It's a good thing that it doesn't matter whether or not you are convinced.

And your opinions and views, or the views of other posters on this board, do matter?

This is about the third time you have insulted me/put me down for posts that are IMO. I would very much appreciate it if you would stop doing that. You are welcome to counter my views and give your opinions and views. The insults are uncalled for.
If you have a particular issue with me that is causing the insults, could you please DM me?

Last edited:

Orm Irian

Cleo Hamon/Denys Strekalin (French junior pair) posted that they are switching coaches to Silvia Fontana and John Zimmerman. Bourzat will be doing their FS.
(From their FB account)

Oh, nice! They're really making a play to follow in J/C's footsteps as a strong pairs team, and so they should. They're a promising pair and their Hunger Games free skate was a bit of a JGP highlight for me.

They started transitioning to senior this last season but he had injuries and there were some other issues that made it a bit wobbly; hopefully next season goes better for them.

aftershocks

Banned Member
And your opinions and views, or the views of other posters on this board, do matter?

This is about the third time you have insulted me/put me down for posts that are IMO. I would very much appreciate it if you would stop doing that. You are welcome to counter my views and give your opinions and views. The insults are uncalled for.
If you have a particular issue with me that is causing the insults, could you please DM me?

It's all in how you are reacting, responding and perceiving, without recognizing how you are coming across yourself.

Japanfan

It's all in how you are reacting, responding and perceiving, without recognizing how you are coming across yourself.

I'm not posting any differently than I have for the past 20 years and no one else has recently (or less recently) taken issue with any of my posts, so I would say that that the problem is totally your problem.

Given that I'm not doing anything in violation of the board, you have no complaint to make about me.

But the insults you are throwing at me are not acceptable FSU behavior. If you continue to insult me, I will complain to a moderator.

And come on. . .you're going to insult someone one a message/discussion board because you don't like that individual's reactions, responses, and perceptions? Unless you are personally being talked about or attacked, which you are not, you are way, way out of line.

If you don't like how I come across, you can put me on ignore.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

And rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat

Sigh, it's as frustrating as favorite teams that stick together but don't reach their potential. I don't know what's worse.

Agree. Pairs is truly the most heartbreaking discipline for me.

They're a promising pair and their Hunger Games free skate was a bit of a JGP highlight for me.

Is there video of this? As a huge Hunger Games fan, I’m dying to see it.

Orm Irian

Is there video of this? As a huge Hunger Games fan, I’m dying to see it.

They skated it for two seasons so there are a few videos around the place, but this is probably my favorite version, from Ostrava this past season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sARKkyLuIlM. They gained a sense of maturity in this program this season that made it stand out rather on the JGP. And it got them their best ever results at Junior Worlds, too. :)

Mad for Skating

They skated it for two seasons so there are a few videos around the place, but this is probably my favorite version, from Ostrava this past season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sARKkyLuIlM. They gained a sense of maturity in this program this season that made it stand out rather on the JGP. And it got them their best ever results at Junior Worlds, too. :)

Thank you so much! It’s awesome - I love it. The costumes are just fabulous. You have no idea about my Hunger Games obsession lol.

Japanfan

Thanks so much for posting this.

It's so refreshing when a pair thinks outside of the box in terms of music choices. Other pairs should take note - lots of choices out there aside from the usual warhorses.

That said, I wouldn't have know this program was to 'The Hunger Games' unless told. I'm not a choreographer, but there must be some way to communicate that suffering and hardship of participating in the Hunger Games, and the rebellion and triumph of the final two contestants who decided to unite, rather than kill each other.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm not posting any differently than I have for the past 20 years and no one else has recently (or less recently) taken issue with any of my posts, so I would say that that the problem is totally your problem.

In the eye of the beholder apparently. :COP: That goes for how @alilou is perceiving the interaction on her end as well. Sometimes Internet mis-communication is like dat. And not worth losing any sleep over at all either. :D Speaking of which... :yawn:

Mad for Skating

I'm not a choreographer, but there must be some way to communicate that suffering and hardship of participating in the Hunger Games, and the rebellion and triumph of the final two contestants who decided to unite, rather than kill each other.

I think The Hunger Games is one of the best stories to tell through skating. There's so much emotional depth and so many moral questions, not to mention all the revolutionary action. The soundtrack is actually very good for skating IMO - the OST is intense, almost uncertain, and captures your attention from the first second. Plus, while it has romance in it, it's not just a love story, so there are much bigger concepts than romance to express on the ice. I love it and I hope other skaters will use it.

I know Hannah Miller used some cuts for her FS in the 2017-18 season, and Seguin/Bilodeau's SP that year was to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Lorde, which came from one of the Hunger Games soundtracks.

Japanfan

In the eye of the beholder apparently. :COP: That goes for how @alilou is perceiving the interaction on her end as well. Sometimes Internet mis-communication is like dat. And not worth losing any sleep over at all either. :D Speaking of which... :yawn:

You being the lone beholder.

Given that you are the only person to take issue with my posting practices in the course of almost 20 years - the problem is your's. I repeat: the problem is your's. And I don't recall anyone taking issue with @alilou, either.

Your posts as of late seem particularly critical of various posters, not only me.

Maybe you need to take a deep breath and step back from the board, and figure out what's going on.

You are doing yourself no favours by complaining about other posters.

Japanfan

I think The Hunger Games is one of the best stories to tell through skating. There's so much emotional depth and so many moral questions, not to mention all the revolutionary action. The soundtrack is actually very good for skating IMO - the OST is intense, almost uncertain, and captures your attention from the first second. Plus, while it has romance in it, it's not just a love story, so there are much bigger concepts than romance to express on the ice. I love it and I hope other skaters will use it.

I wish you were a choreographer!

Urban Queen

Banned Member
First, I tried to learn more about Evan Lysacek's bride and read a Trump versus Obama debate. Then, I tried to learn about ice dance and saw people bickering in a European language. Finally, I turn to pairs and yet again Aftershocks is diverting the subject and insulting people.

I can see why my friend (the person with whom I'm attending Skate America this fall) is afraid to post here. I think I may go back to reading library books on skating and check back here when the competitive season begins to see if the discourse is more civil and topical.

If Japanfan truly has made it twenty years here without anyone taking issue with her (?) posts, I must say I am impressed and amazed.

However, I will take issue with one thing: there is no apostrophe when "yours" is used as a possessive. I do understand, though, that it takes time to edit one's posts, and not everyone has that time to spare. (By the way, in that last sentence I illustrated the one exception to the rule that possessive pronouns don't have apostrophes.)

I do hope that American pairs can find their footing again in the near future. I'm thrilled to watch their acrobatic moves live in person.

Japanfan

Then, I tried to learn about ice dance and saw people bickering in a European language. Finally, I turn to pairs and yet again Aftershocks is diverting the subject and insulting people.

If Japanfan truly has made it twenty years here without anyone taking issue with her (?) posts, I must say I am impressed and amazed.

People have certainly challenged my ideas, even scoffed at them, but I honestly do not recall any conversation in which I was insulted personally. I also refrain from delivering personal insults, it's a simple matter of courtesy. But, TBH, there may have been incidences of being insulted I do not recall.

However, about 20 years ago in the early days of this board's predecessor another poster and I were discussing astrology in reference to certain skaters, and one or both of us were told "suffer a witch to die".

However, I will take issue with one thing: there is no apostrophe when "yours" is used as a possessive. I do understand, though, that it takes time to edit one's posts, and not everyone has that time to spare. (By the way, in that last sentence I illustrated the one exception to the rule that possessive pronouns don't have apostrophes.)

Not a failure to edit, just a mistake. Yours without the apostrophe seems counter-intuitive to me but I'm sure I'll get used to it, now that I know.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
You being the lone beholder.

Given that you are the only person to take issue with my posting practices in the course of almost 20 years - the problem is your's. I repeat: the problem is your's. And I don't recall anyone taking issue with @alilou, either.

Your posts as of late seem particularly critical of various posters, not only me.

Maybe you need to take a deep breath and step back from the board, and figure out what's going on.

You are doing yourself no favours by complaining about other posters.

The behavior you are projecting and advising is somethin' you really need to take a look at for your own self. Stop pointing fingers in this thread please.

chantilly

The behavior you are projecting and advising is somethin' you really need to take a look at for your own self. Stop pointing fingers in this thread please.
How come the problem Is ALWAYS someone else’s?
Have you noticed that @Japanfan and @alilou are getting all the likes in their responses to you. And you haven’t received any?
Just a thought.

aftershocks

Banned Member
How come the problem Is ALWAYS someone else’s?
Have you noticed that @Japanfan and @alilou are getting all the likes in their responses to you. And you haven’t received any?
Just a thought.

Please stop already. What's really the point here? Pile on of some sort? This off-topic back-and-forth seriously does not belong in this thread. All I am doing is responding to WTF off-base aggressive challenges likely grounded in some past grudges and disagreements still being carried like a torch.

But mind you, no grudges are being carried by me, which again doesn't make me perfect. Hopefully, it does help me retain my sanity though and my sense of perspective. OTOH, your implication that I don't have problems or that I think I'm perfect is also in your own head, your own faulty, all-knowing misinterpretation. But what the fcuk does this have to do with pairs figure skaters skating two as one? :p

Everyone obsessed with getting likes might as well live on Facebook, and possibly do. :blah:

chantilly

Please stop already. What's really the point here? Pile on of some sort? This off-topic back-and-forth seriously does not belong in this thread. All I am doing is responding to WTF off-base aggressive challenges likely grounded in some past grudges and disagreements still being carried like a torch.

But mind you, no grudges are being carried by me, which again doesn't make me perfect. Hopefully, it does help me retain my sanity though and my sense of perspective. OTOH, your implication that I don't have problems or that I think I'm perfect is also in your own head, your own faulty, all-knowing misinterpretation. But what the fcuk does this have to do with pairs figure skaters skating two as one? :p

Everyone obsessed with getting likes might as well live on Facebook, and possibly do. :blah:
😂

Mad for Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information