Royalty Thread #8.....A Pregnant Pause

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yes I just saw that and I'm not surprised. I suspected as much. A lot of the press has been so unrelentingly negative throughout Meghan's pregnancy. Why would Meghan and Harry want to share anything about their baby with the media?!

Can you imagine the headlines if they did appear outside the hospital. There'd be headlines again about Meghan breaking some kind of protocol with what she was wearing or not wearing. There'd be comparisons to Kate and to Diana. Not to mention the clamoring by the press paps to be the first to get a good shot of the baby. No thank you! It's fitting that Meghan and Harry will control the first photo the public gets to see of their newborn (if we even get to see any photos righr away).

I am totally not surprised. And I think many of Meghan's and Harry's fans are actually relieved. I've seen a lot of talk about Meghan and Harry being 'minor royals' and not that important. So why is it that important for them to parade their baby before the press corp in the first place? They might have done things a bit differently had the press not been such perfect asses. But they have a right anyway to raise their baby privately. We will see less of the Sussex offspring than we've seen of Prince Louis.

Here's the official announcement from Buckingham Palace:

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1116268460445765632

This recent Vanity Fair article hits the nail on the head, IMO:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/04/meghan-markle-tabloids-racism-sexism?verso=true

"... the awkward missteps and outright racism of the overwhelmingly white press corps during [Meghan's] pregnancy—including unsubtle nods to the 'angry black woman' stereotype, and a certain discomfort with a woman of color finding a fairy-tale romance—leave much to be desired in the way of more thoughtful coverage of the biracial duchess. '...people don’t want to speak honestly about the real issue: they don’t believe a black woman has a place in the royal family,” said Maiysha Kai, managing editor of the Root’s fashion and beauty site, the Glow Up, who writes about Meghan. 'There is this sense that she’s never going to be enough.'"

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
:lol: Awww, come on, Prince George was so cute, what little we got to see of him in his blanket. Of course, his looks improved as he got a little older. And Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis had their own distinct looks too. Kate took some lovely photos of all of her children which she later shared with the public.

Many people love to ooh and ahh over newborns. But the Sussexes are right to keep these special moments to themselves. The press has been horrid to Meghan throughout her pregnancy. And the online trolls will continue to be relentless with their insults and conspiracy theories, without a doubt. Cool that the Sussexes live in their protected enclave, and do not read any of the crap, even though they might hear a bit about some of it.

M&H must be enjoying many special moments in their new home as they await the birth of their first child. Meghan's mother, Doria, is said to be in England now. Reportedly, she spent some time with Meghan a couple of weeks ago, then went back to California, and now has returned to England. All without being detected by the media hoards.

Here's more about Oprah Winfrey's upcoming documentary series on mental health, which Prince Harry will be executive producing and collaborating on with her. Oprah explains how this project came about. And she comments on the treatment of Meghan by the press:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oprah-...alth-docuseries-new-book-the-path-made-clear/

It was also announced that CBS' 48 Hours series will be presenting a special on the Sussexes, hosted by Gayle King, on May 17, 2019. It's entitled, Harry & Meghan, Plus One:
https://deadline.com/2019/04/gayle-king-meghan-markle-prince-harry-baby-special-cbs-news-1202593000/

Royal reporters are getting dragged by Sussex fans for the negative blowback re the Sussexes' decision:
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1116271922491351040?s=20

Last edited:

Lorac

Meagan & Harry announce that the baby’s birth will be private and the public will be informed after they have a chance to celebrate with their family. So, no photo outside the hospitalwith the baby, it seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ry-want-to-celebrate-birth-of-baby-in-private

Good for them. It doesn't really matter how they do it. Those who want to be negative will be negative regardless whereas those of us who wish them well will be happy for them and will look forwards to the announcement as and when we get it.

Here's hoping Meghan is chilling with her feet up and has a stress free birth - unless it has already happened of course 😉

MsZem

I see the sea

mag

Today's release doesn't exactly sound like people seeking privacy around the birth of their child.

I think Harry and Meghan are in for a bit of a rough ride. First, unlike @aftershocks I don’t think the media has been terrible to them. Yes, there has been some crazy stuff on social media and some weird stuff in fringe publications, but for the most part Meghan has got about the same good and bad coverage both Kate and Diana got. In some ways she has got off much lighter than Kate because she dated Harry for such a short time prior to the wedding. There have been a ton of really positive stories and, for the most part, there have not been a ton of photos published of their private time. That said, it is hard to have your cake and eat it too. Yes, they should have private time, but they also need the media to support their causes and both certainly appear to like the attention despite what they say. Meghan could certainly have flown to New York and had her shower with very little press coverage. As it was, the press was given way more access than they took. According to one royal reporter he felt it was too much to plant himself outside every venue they visited.

When it comes to this baby, there will be interest, but it will wain over time as William and Kate’s kids take centre stage. At this point in their relationship, there were all kinds of stories about how Sarah and Andrew were so much more popular that Charles and Diana and we know how that turned out. Even if they had stayed married, they are their children were destined for relative obscurity. That is the way it works. There are acres and acres of crown land Meghan and Harry can disappear with their child in to walk and play. Hopefully, if they want privacy, they will take advantage of that. William and Kate stayed in Wales when George of little and I think that was a smart choice. I know Kate has been spotted out around Kensington Palace with her kids, but she does it quietly without any fuss and, for the most part, the press seem to respect that. Yes, they have had to warn the press a couple of times, but so far so good. I haven’t seen a ton of photos of the kids coming and going from school.

I do hope they can work it out but I can certainly see them ending up as their own worst enemies. Everyone should have a private life, but being royal does have great privilege and great restraints. That is the job. I hope they can realize their privilege and take the restraints in stride.

puglover

I apologize if I sound crass but I think the physical appearance and personality makes a big difference in the hoopla. Kitty Spencer, who was a knockout at the wedding, is very popular now. Diana was gorgeous, as are Kate and Meagan and the press is obviously enamored with the somewhat cheeky Princess Charlotte. I am not saying this is how it should be but rather how it may be. I predict Harry and Meagan's child will be a scene stealer and not be far from the spotlight.

mag

Why is it that people feel the need to put women down and criticize them in order to make another woman look better. I don’t think that is Meghan’s style, yet article after article does just that: https://torontosun.com/news/world/b...celebrate-royal-babys-birth-as-a-family-first

“Coiffed, styled and elegantly dressed, they strutted out onto the steps of the Lindo Wing of St. Mary’s Hospital wearing unnaturally high heels in complete defiance of all childbearing rules.

This sets way too high a bar.

Mere mortal moms savour every moment they get at the hospital. They know they won’t be sleeping much for the next couple of years. They dress in loose-fitting track pants to hide the residual maternity flab and walk gingerly in a dazed, hemorrhoid-induced waddle.”

First, Diana most certainly did not wear “unnaturally high heels” and neither did Kate when she left the hospital with George. Both wore loose fitting dresses, Diana, with William, wore sockettes that were visible below her dress, and Kate was certainly not ashamed of her post partum tummy. Kate was a little more groomed with Charlotte and Louis as was Diana with Harry, but seriously, what is wrong with that?

Furthermore, why should women feel the need to “hide the residual maternity flab.” Is there something wrong with having a flabby stomach hours after giving birth? And who, exactly, makes up these “childbearing rules” which have apparently been broken by Harry’s mother and sister in law?

Again, if Harry and Meghan really want a private birth, they would have been wise have a home birth, say nothing, and just announce the baby’s birth a day or two after it happens. Announcing when Meghan goes into labour and announcing when the baby is born, and then insisting that they want it to be private is just beyond bizarre. It is fine they are making their own choices, but they would do well to think about how their announcements will give fuel to those who which to criticize and put down those who have done it differently.

Vagabond

Again, if Harry and Meghan really want a private birth, they would have been wise have a home birth, say nothing, and just announce the baby’s birth a day or two after it happens.

Meghan and Harry want to celebrate birth of baby in private

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to keep the arrangements for their birth of their first child private, Buckingham Palace has said.

Harry and Meghan’s household said in a statement: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very grateful for the goodwill they have received from people throughout the United Kingdom and around the world as they prepare to welcome their baby.

“Their royal highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private.

“The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family.”
Wise of them, no?

The puckish part of me wants them to hire some impersonators to go by chauffeur-driven vehicle from Frogmore Cottage to various maternity wards in and around London and Berkshire. :sneaky:

mag

I think it's the opposite, actually. The more of a mystery it is, the more intriguing it is and the more valuable the information becomes.

I will have to look for the article, but I did read that the palace has said that it will announce when Meghan goes into labour and when the baby is born. That is bit that I find bizarre and makes me think they don’t really want private, they want both private and public. That will come back to bite them and then we will have a bunch of celebrity types bemoaning poor Meghan who was hounded during labour and right after the baby was born. Surely they are not so stupid as to think announcing they want privacy is a good idea? If you want privacy, be private. It is not that complicated.

PDilemma

I will have to look for the article, but I did read that the palace has said that it will announce when Meghan goes into labour and when the baby is born. That is bit that I find bizarre and makes me think they don’t really want private, they want both private and public. That will come back to bite them and then we will have a bunch of celebrity types bemoaning poor Meghan who was hounded during labour and right after the baby was born. Surely they are not so stupid as to think announcing they want privacy is a good idea? If you want privacy, be private. It is not that complicated.

In addition to announcing when she is in labor, they released info about provisions for press to camp at Windsor for up to three days after the birth and for a photo call at the castle. Nothing private about that at all. And previous new royal parents have not arranged for press camps for three days after the birth. With Will and Kate's babies, there has been the five minute photo call and a prompt closing of the gates, per se, at KP immediately.

The second press release basically completely contradicts the first and sounds as if it will be more hoopla than previous births. But, whatever. I'm sure someone here will be explaining why it is wonderful, wise, private, the only way to have royal babies and a lesson to all parents past, present and future. Or something like that.

Vagabond

I will have to look for the article, but I did read that the palace has said that it will announce when Meghan goes into labour and when the baby is born.
In addition to announcing when she is in labor, they released info about provisions for press to camp at Windsor for up to three days after the birth and for a photo call at the castle.
I quoted a newspaper article that in turn quoted a recent official Buckingham Palace statement. When did these supposed other, contradictory statements get published, and where?

:watch:

mag

I quoted a newspaper article that in turn quoted a recent official Buckingham Palace statement. When did these supposed other, contradictory statements get published, and where?

:watch:

“There will reportedly be an announcement when the Duchess has gone into labor, and another, at some point, following the birth of the baby.l

From: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a23776669/meghan-markle-due-date-2019/

I am fairly sure I didn’t originally read about the labour announcement in Town and Country so others are reporting the same thing.

Again, why announce the labour if you want it to be a private affair?

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I saw articles that H&M wanted it all to be private. After that is when it was said that the palace (not H or M) will announce when she goes into labor. If the Queen sanctions announcements there's not much H&M can do about it.

And when it is pointed out that Meghan is defying tradition it's so ridiculous. What tradition? The fact that Diana & Kate did something does not make it a long-held tradition. If I just gave birth there's no way I would do hair & make-up for the rude papperazzi or anyone else.

mag

I saw articles that H&M wanted it all to be private. After that is when it was said that the palace (not H or M) will announce when she goes into labor. If the Queen sanctions announcements there's not much H&M can do about it.

And when it is pointed out that Meghan is defying tradition it's so ridiculous. What tradition? The fact that Diana & Kate did something does not make it a long-held tradition. If I just gave birth there's no way I would do hair & make-up for the rude papperazzi or anyone else.

I have no doubt if H&M did not want the world to know when M goes into labour, they could either ask for it not to be announced and the Queen would respect their wishes, or they could simply not tell anyone - especially easy if they are having a home birth.

I agree, Meghan is actually going with tradition not against it. That said, I think it is important to point out that not all photographers are “papperazzi.” A huge number who were in front of the Lido Wing for other royal births are photographers from major news and print media and many are part of the royal press Corp. Lumping them all together and using the term papperazzi is, IMHO, unfair.

Finally, I think what H&M may not realize, is the advantage to getting that first photograph out of the way. By appearing on the steps of the hospital immediately following the birth, Kate was able to be one and done so to speak. She was probably still on a bit of an adrenaline high, made a quick appearance, and disappeared for, at least with George and Charlotte, quite a few months. To me that definitely sounds like the lesser of two evils! (I certainly hope, now that they are about to have a baby, H&M recognize the superhuman strength it must have been for Kate to attend their wedding, deal with all the press coverage, have her older two in the wedding party, all just weeks after giving birth.)

Skittl1321

I think Catherine steps photos are about private as it comes. You can't see the baby in them. She spends 5 minutes taking photos and then disappears for a maternity leave, where we don't hear from her at all.

Yes, she has someone do her hair and makeup, so she looked better than I did leaving the hospital, but she doesn't look extraordinaryily glamorous like she's going to a state dinner. Her outfits are pretty simple.

And I know I felt better leaving the birthing clinic the day of my birth (3 hours after I delivered the baby I was dismissed and we went out to a restaurant for lunch) than I did the next day, when I felt like I had been hit by a truck. If Catherine is at all the same, she got the photos over with quickly, and that's a good thing.

I know ordinary women who have eyelash extensions, elaborate hair dye jobs and braids, and manicures ahead of labor and then make sure to have a full face of makeup on asap for hospital bed photos. Catherine certainly isn't doing that.

Why do Harry and Meghan need photographers on the long walk of the Windsor property for 72 hours after the birth?

MsZem

I see the sea
Sorry for the double post, but on a different note, William, Kate, George, and Charlotte joined Mike, Zara, Mia, and Lena Tindall at horse trials taking place near W&K’s weekend home.

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalt...leton-children-day-out-royals-zara-tindall/1/
That's lovely, except maybe William borrowing his cap from his grandfather. Or so it looked ;)

I don't know if it's possible in this age of massive press and social media for any British royal to raise kids as Princess Anne did, but no titles and a more low-key childhood seem to have been good for Peter and Zara.

Reactions: mag

Lorac

Vagabond

“There will reportedly be an announcement when the Duchess has gone into labor, and another, at some point, following the birth of the baby.l

From: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a23776669/meghan-markle-due-date-2019/

I am fairly sure I didn’t originally read about the labour announcement in Town and Country so others are reporting the same thing.
Because they are rumor mills.

The bit you quoted from the article is unsourced speculation artfully placed immediately after the text of an official statement from Buckingham Palace to suggest to the unquestioning that what Town and Country and others are reporting about "an announcement when the Duchess has gone into labor" is also part of the official statment, which it clearly is not.

ballettmaus

If you google it, there is no reputable news outlet that confirms it. Rather, they say it's unclear if there will be an announcement when Meghan goes into labor.

(Why is BBC speculating whether or not the child will pay taxes? Even if the baby will have a tax obligation, that's not going to happen for another couple of decades. As we say in German, a lot of water will flow down the river Spree in the meantime).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information