Royalty Thread #8.....A Pregnant Pause

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

That red dress is gorgeous! Colour and cut are both fabulous. I am still unreasonably bothered by the carrying of the gloves - Meghan does that a lot and it seems weird to me, but if it doesn’t bother her then she should carry on.

In the later clip when Meghan is wearing the navy outfit, I wish they felt comfortable wearing sun glasses. I understand why they don’t. They want the people they are greeting to be able to see their faces, but the way both Meghan and Harry were squinting makes my head hurt and I fear Harry is going to end up with skin cancer on the top of his head! A hat would have been a good idea!

Lorac

That red dress is gorgeous! Colour and cut are both fabulous. I am still unreasonably bothered by the carrying of the gloves - Meghan does that a lot and it seems weird to me, but if it doesn’t bother her then she should carry on.

In the later clip when Meghan is wearing the navy outfit, I wish they felt comfortable wearing sun glasses. I understand why they don’t. They want the people they are greeting to be able to see their faces, but the way both Meghan and Harry were squinting makes my head hurt and I fear Harry is going to end up with skin cancer on the top of his head! A hat would have been a good idea!

The red dress was lovely - the colour really suited Meghan. The only thing I didn't like was the cape styling around the neckline - but that's just me - at least this one didn't look like it restricted her movement.

I do love the Moroccan style evening dress she wore to an evening reception - again the neckline is the only thing I would change but it suited her:

Meghan dazzles in jewel-encrusted cream Dior kaftan

Though those heels are so skinny and high - but Kate was the same during her pregnancies. I don't know whether to be impressed or scared for her in case she falls.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The red dress was lovely - the colour really suited Meghan. The only thing I didn't like was the cape styling around the neckline - but that's just me - at least this one didn't look like it restricted her movement.

I do love the Moroccan style evening dress she wore to an evening reception - again the neckline is the only thing I would change but it suited her:

Meghan dazzles in jewel-encrusted cream Dior kaftan

Though those heels are so skinny and high - but Kate was the same during her pregnancies. I don't know whether to be impressed or scared for her in case she falls.

I loved both the red & the cream dresses & I noticed the henna design has washed off her hand. I thought it took longer to wash off henna.

mag

I loved both the red & the cream dresses & I noticed the henna design has washed off her hand. I thought it took longer to wash off henna.

If I remember correctly it depends a lot on how long you leave the henna mixture on your skin that determines who long it will last. When I had it done many years ago we were also told to keep the area moist with a bit of baby oil for the first few hours after the henna mixture was removed. That apparently helps the tattoo last longer.

I am assuming that Meghan’s was done rather quickly. You can see it on her hand when she is wearing the cream evening gown. You need to zoom in a bit.

Japanfan

I've never learned to wear heels and am always amazed by women who do it well (which isn't an easy thing).

But Kate would have started wearing heels young like most women, I expect, and I'm sure she has had people to help her perfect the art.

PDilemma

I agree that it is good when rich people spend their money. I have never understood why that is considered a bad thing. I do agree with with the criticism about the jet. Private jets are bad from an environmental standpoint and Meghan certainly could have flown commercial.

I do think being a member of the British Royal family does have different standards. Meghan and her friends were in full celebrity mode. The glamorous photos coming and going with big sunglasses on. Stopping to pose when on private time. Those are things you don’t see from the BRF. Meghan is going to have to be careful. The press were clearly welcome at this event (at least outside) so it will seem hypocritical if they are criticized for taking photos outside other private events.

To be completely clear, most of the criticism I have read is completely uncalled for IMO. I think both Meghan and Harry should just ignore it all and get on with their lives. If they are bothered by it, they should decide what criticism has merit and accept it and change accordingly and continue to disregard the rest. Complaining or having friends complain on their behalf is a losing strategy.

Richard Palmer, a royal reporter for the London Express, tweeted last week that Meghan personally organized PR for the baby shower trip.

She didn't just welcome them, she apparently invited them.

taf2002

Richard Palmer, a royal reporter for the London Express, tweeted last week that Meghan personally organized PR for the baby shower trip.

She didn't just welcome them, she apparently invited them.

I googled London Express but it kept changing to Daily Express. It is clearly a tabloid so I have a hard time believing it, in fact I don't.

PDilemma

I googled London Express but it kept changing to Daily Express. It is clearly a tabloid so I have a hard time believing it, in fact I don't.

Not a story, just a tweet. And he viewed it as a positive thing, so why would he lie about something that he thought was a very good thing? He was not trying to make her look bad. On Twitter, he is, frankly, overly complimentary to her and overly sensitive to any suggestion that she is not God's gift to fashion, the Royal family and the globe in general.

How do you think the press knew exactly where she was going at all times on that trip if they were not told? They were awaiting her arrival at several restaurants.

mag

Here is the tweet:

Astonishing that the Duchess of Sussex seems to be organising her own PR in New York with a fixed point for media and nobody from the palace there. This is how Charles and others used to organise things on ski trips in the dim and distant past before armies of press officers.

He is correct that Charles used to organize a photo call at the start of a family vacation. The family would show up and pose for the photographers answer a few questions, and then the press would agree to leave them alone for the remainder of the trip. It worked very well for many years.

Here is the link to Richard’s twitter feed: https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalReporter?ref_src=twsrc^appleios|twcamp^safari|twgr^profile

taf2002

Not a story, just a tweet. And he viewed it as a positive thing, so why would he lie about something that he thought was a very good thing? He was not trying to make her look bad. On Twitter, he is, frankly, overly complimentary to her and overly sensitive to any suggestion that she is not God's gift to fashion, the Royal family and the globe in general.

How do you think the press knew exactly where she was going at all times on that trip if they were not told? They were awaiting her arrival at several restaurants.

I still don't find it very likely. If true, it would make her look bad. It makes her look like a press-hungry airhead. And how does the paperazzi (not the legitimate press) know where any celebrity is?

mag

I still don't find it very likely. If true, it would make her look bad. It makes her look like a press-hungry airhead. And how does the paperazzi (not the legitimate press) know where any celebrity is?

Most of the time they are told. Haven’t you ever wondered how some major stars are next to never photographed when not working? Photographers have sources, valets, restaurant workers, etc, but most of the time it is the celebrity’s own press person or the celebrity themself. Britany Spears was famous for that as was Diana. The press can be very useful.

taf2002

Well, if they were waiting for her at restaurants they didn't keep their word about posing & then leaving her alone. But the other stories I saw in that paper were totally tabloid fodder so it's not a very good source even if true.

Vagabond

Most of the time they are told. Haven’t you ever wondered how some major stars are next to never photographed when not working? Photographers have sources, valets, restaurant workers, etc, but most of the time it is the celebrity’s own press person or the celebrity themself. Britany Spears was famous for that as was Diana. The press can be very useful.
As someone who lived in Los Angeles for many years, I would say it isn't that simple. As I heard it explained to me by a restaurant owner in the part of the city where i lived: If stars want attention, all they have to do is go out for the evening in Hollywood, and the paparazzi will swarm to them. They may say they don't want the attention, but, if they really didn't want attention, they will live somewhere else in L.A. Stars living in other parts of L.A. go out in their own neighborhoods and are left alone.

And this make sense. No paparazzo with any pride would hang out in Mar Vista. :shuffle:

Last edited:

Lorac

Here is the tweet:

Astonishing that the Duchess of Sussex seems to be organising her own PR in New York with a fixed point for media and nobody from the palace there. This is how Charles and others used to organise things on ski trips in the dim and distant past before armies of press officers.

He is correct that Charles used to organize a photo call at the start of a family vacation. The family would show up and pose for the photographers answer a few questions, and then the press would agree to leave them alone for the remainder of the trip. It worked very well for many years.

Here is the link to Richard’s twitter feed: https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalReporter?ref_src=twsrc^appleios|twcamp^safari|twgr^profile

Well Kensington Palace were under the impression this was a supposedly private event so apparently felt no need to organise any PR at all - and why should they for a private party. There should have been no need for any photo calls whatsoever.

mag

Well Kensington Palace were under the impression this was a supposedly private event so apparently felt no need to organise any PR at all - and why should they for a private party. There should have been no need for any photo calls whatsoever.

What I was saying is many years ago the royals would do a photocall at the start of a private trip and then they would leave them alone. That is no longer done, at least William and Kate do not do it. Think back to the photos taken before also trip (Charles, Diana, Andrew, Sarah) or when Charles Ana Diana were visiting the Spanish Royals back in the day. I believe that is what this photographer was referring too.

Skittl1321

Interesting twitter thread. The press was not "hounding" Meghan in NY. They were provided extensive details of her trip. She wants the photo calls. These are not invasion of privacy, they are arranged.

https://twitter.com/MeghansMirror/status/1098049675398008832
We made the decision to cover it in the manner in which we are based on information available to us related to the event, sources of info, and the logistics. We believe that MM did not expect privacy and covered it as such. (1/2)

We actually had lots more information about location, venue, times, etc. that we chose not to share other than Meghan's departure from the hotel because we weren't comfortable with those. Was Editorial decision from our team. (2/2)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
No matter who tipped off the press.........it has to be a flashback nightmare for William and Harry.

I think Miss Meghan needs to decide whether she is a a starlet or a royal. The two are mutually exclusive.

Putting aside the conspicuous consumption......the purpose of a baby shower (a tradition that started shortly after WWII) the true purpose of a baby shower is to help new parents acquire the gear and supplies they'll need, it's probably not necessary to give a traditional baby shower for parents who have a basement full of baby clothes and equipment.

Meghan shot herself in the foot all over the place here. The private jet & environmental concerns - real issue.
How the Royal Family Started fighting for the planet.
If you are looking for Britain’s most formidable green pressure group, don’t waste time trekking down London’s Clapham Road to Friends of the Earth’s headquarters, or even visiting Greenpeace’s swanky setup in Islington. Just head down The Mall. For there the senior royals are increasingly joining forces as environmental campaigning becomes part of “The Firm’s” mission statement.
The Duke of Edinburgh and Prince of Wales have long espoused environmental causes, but they have been lone voices. Now they are joined by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and – perhaps unexpectedly – Prince Harry. They also seem to have the quiet sympathy of the Queen.

Baby Shower - um....bad form. If friends wanted to throw her a shower..........how about gifts for either organizations who help moms to be that have nothing...or so little. Or donations to the Royal patronage(s) or favorite charities. Can you imagine the good will created had Meghan and her friends had put that budget into....oh I don't know.....baby blanket for military families, exciting their first baby.

Lovely that she wanted to open the gifts with Harry.........um........see above about gifts.

Much of the grief being hoisted on her could have been alleviated had her friends come to her. What kind of "friends" have the pregnant lady fly across the sea for her shower. I read somewhere that she took medical staff with her............I am sure all of us can relate to that:angryfire:scream::COP: And who paid for that?

PDilemma

UK taxpayers would also have paid the security costs including food and lodging for her team and reimbursing the NYPD for the costs incurred in having their people there, plus costs of an advance team going to NYC to organize security at the venue prior to her arrival.

All of this could have been avoided by having a private, modest event in one of her homes in the UK.

ballettmaus

Baby Shower - um....bad form. If friends wanted to throw her a shower..........how about gifts for either organizations who help moms to be that have nothing...or so little.

Or small(er) gifts that have value because they're personal.

mag

Or small(er) gifts that have value because they're personal.

Abby on “The View” (who I almost always disagree with!) made an interesting observation. This shower was thrown by and attended by fairly new friends who for the most part, with the exception of Jessica Mulroney and I think one other, A list celebrities. There were no old school friends or family. Meghan’s mother who was a short flight away in LA did not attend. I don’t get the impression that “personal” was a goal here. It definitely looked like a see and be seen weekend and I really question the judgement here. As @AxelAnnie mentioned above, can you imagine the different impression if the friend had gone to Meghan? If that money was pumped into the British economy? If instead of gifts they put together welcome baby boxes for low income moms?

The point is they still could have had a lovely weekend together in the privacy of a British country home somewhere - except that I don’t think they wanted privacy. They wanted to be photographed coming and going from a shower given to a British Princess. And there, sports fans, is the root of the problem.

ETA: before someone says something like “why shouldn’t Meghan get gifts?” I would like to point out that no one is stopping people from sending baby gifts and no one seems to be suggesting that getting together was a problem. The problem was getting together in such a public and indulgent way and then trying to spin it all by donating floral arrangements to kids with cancer. That was just odd IMHO.

Even in my very middle class neighborhood, by DD and her friends decided very early on (I think by their 6th birthdays) that instead of giving each other gifts they would choose a charity and everyone would make a donation. One child who was born in December always had the kids bring a gift that would be given to the Christmas Bureau. They ask for new, unwrapped toys, so the guests would buy a toy, wrap it in Birthday paper. The birthday girl opened them and then they were all donated.

It is easy to be a humanitarian, feminist, environmentalist, whatever else, when it is not inconvenient. It is much more difficult when it is inconvenient and you have to give up something that is important to you.

Last edited:

Skittl1321

All of this could have been avoided by having a private, modest event in one of her homes in the UK.

Heck, she could have had an insanely lavish event, privately in one of her homes.
The royals can have all the privacy they want, when they want it. Meghan does not seem to want it.

I do wonder what Harry thinks. He always struck me as truly hating the press, due to his mother; but his wife seems to have the opposite point of view.

mag

I do wonder what Harry thinks. He always struck me as truly hating the press, due to his mother; but his wife seems to have the opposite point of view.

This is the one parenting thing I think Charles may have neglected. I think he has been a good father, and he may have done this, but if he hasn’t, he should have been very clear with his kids. Their mother was a wonderful person with many, many marvelous qualities. She clearly loved her children very much. She was not perfect and she did court the press. What happened to her was the result of a drunk driver and some extremely poor choices. Yes, the press should not have been following them, but using the word chasing is inflammatory. That driver should have slowed down and gone on a long a boring tour of Paris until the press lost interest, ran out of gas, or whatever. That accident was 100% avoidable. That doesn’t make the loss or hurt any more bearable, but it does make the healing that much easier. Understanding the truth and dealing with the facts is how we go on in life.

taf2002

This is the one parenting thing I think Charles may have neglected. I think he has been a good father, and he may have done this, but if he hasn’t, he should have been very clear with his kids. Their mother was a wonderful person with many, many marvelous qualities. She clearly loved her children very much. She was not perfect and she did court the press. What happened to her was the result of a drunk driver and some extremely poor choices. Yes, the press should not have been following them, but using the word chasing is inflammatory. That driver should have slowed down and gone on a long a boring tour of Paris until the press lost interest, ran out of gas, or whatever. That accident was 100% avoidable. That doesn’t make the loss or hurt any more bearable, but it does make the healing that much easier. Understanding the truth and dealing with the facts is how we go on in life.

I agree is was avoidable but you are the 1st person I have ever heard of saying a drunk driver was involved. My impression was Diana's driver was speeding & lost control. BTW I don't know why saying "chasing" is inflammatory when that is exactly what the paparazzi did. What would you call it?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I agree is was avoidable but you are the 1st person I have ever heard of saying a drunk driver was involved. My impression was Diana's driver was speeding & lost control. BTW I don't know why saying "chasing" is inflammatory when that is exactly what the paparazzi did. What would you call it?
Diana's driver was drunk.

Skittl1321

I think I've heard Harry and William also fault the press for photographing her as she laid in the wreck, rather than rendering aid.

Skittl1321

I thought her driver was drunk? Maybe I'm misremembering. Still, we don't know what would have happened if they weren't being chased.

Either way, Meghan seems to court the press in a way that is incompatible with how Harry and William have acted in the past. I wonder if it is a source of tension.

Hollywood starlets leak their location for paparazzi. Royals hold photo calls at arranged locations, but typical avoid any intentional paparazzi involvement.

Vagabond

Last edited:

mag

Chasing implies, at least to me, that Diana and Dodi were in danger and had to get away. What is the worst that would have happened if they had just turned around and gone back to the Ritz? His family owned the hotel for heaven sakes! They could have had all the privacy they wanted. Now maybe there was somewhere else they wanted to go, but sometimes you do get to do what you want to do. Driving at a high speed through downtown Paris was irresponsible. They could have killed a pedestrian or hit another car. The paparazzi were not going to pass them or stop them. They were following them. It was at a high speed because their driver was driving at a high speed.

I think I've heard Harry and William also fault the press for photographing her as she laid in the wreck, rather than rendering aid.

I wasn’t aware of that. Unfortunately from my read of Diana’s injuries there was nothing that could be done. Catastrophic brain injuries are called catastrophic for a reason. It doesn’t excuse the lack of assistance though. How someone could stand by is just beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information