Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

pani

SC against VM? :))))))) :biggrinbo:sheep:
I think it will be interesting to see more pair skaters in this tour, Dylan with Lubov for example. Shawn Soywer will be great. Could they ask DW - this will be funny

forthewin

sharsk8s

In that case, I think the skaters can still do both. Competing in the GP series and doing part of the tour. It's a win win.
I don't think they will be able to do both at the same time. It is a very high intensity part of the season where teams do a lot of training in between events. I don't know how anyone would be able to tour at the same time

lauravvv

I didn’t say they were against them and the rules are very vague, but I perceived it that for a skater to be considered on the national team you must compete in the fall. So you can’t skip the GP for instance. Which is reasonable. https://noticeboard.skatecanada.ca/2019/01/25/2019-2020-national-teams/
It says "Assigned to a 2019 ISU Grand Prix event" and "Competing in the 2019/2020 season". The second is indeed vague, and it's difficult to understand whether skaters really are obligated to compete in the fall. But, if they must, they can still compete in some other competition before the GPs, like W/P did this season (they competed in the Autumn Classic). There is nothing about having to compete in the GPs - it only says "assigned to a GP event". It would be strange and too harsh to deny skaters the chance to get onto the National team if they missed their GP(s), say, because of a trauma/for reasons of health. If SC don't want skaters skipping GPs for other reasons, they have to be more specific about it.

Last edited:

Sonata

It’s Toronto and maybe to announce retirement one year after PYC :wuzrobbed

Oops! I got confused because the Twitter picture posted earlier (where she had just done a spin class) was apparently taken Sunday morning, in Montreal.

If it's Toronto, I feel it's more likely they're hanging out or going to do some promotion for something.

Goody2shoes

Happy One Year, everyone! :)

I've been bouncing between forum boards lately. Though I have been silent about some things, I must say that I wish people can be kinder to those who strive for something and with the best of intentions. The talk/review about Thank You Canada Tour by some people are just plain brutal. It's a shame that some call it saccharine or some form of another (i.e. boasting). My view is these Canadian skaters sincerely put out this show to show appreciation to the fans (and for each other) for their unwavering support throughout their career. Gee, what better way to show this appreciation than to skate their hearts out, right?

This is a great opportunity for Patrick Chan, Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir - ones who may be out from competitive circuit (Not official yet for VM but it may be likely they won't be in the Fourth Games as hinted in the article below). I just wish people would just be happy for them. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, don't watch. But don't be callous as to needless bash what is supposed to be a sincere effort showing Thanks.

Anyways, I got to get that off my chest.

Enjoy this piece! :) https://www.olympic.org/news/five-medals-three-games-two-consummate-figure-skaters

sap5

I won’t be sad to hear a retirement announcement. They’ve achieved everything they can in competitive skating, and had the Olympic experience most athletes dream of. What could top being flag bearers and winning gold in all your events? It’s time for them to help the next generation achieve their dreams, and it looks like they are heading in that direction.

Golden1

Agree. I will still be sad.

Same here. I'm not sad for them but for me. It's selfish but I just loved following their career and watching them skate. I'm sad that I won't see new competitive programs from them, that I won't see them winning again, that I won't have to get up in the middle of the night, sitting anxiously on my couch, rooting for them and cheering them on. There is just no other skater, no other couple who has what they had and I will really, really miss them. So the only thing left for me is the hope that they will tour in Europe and that I will at least see them in show programs.

kittysk8ts

Same here. I'm not sad for them but for me. It's selfish but I just loved following their career and watching them skate. I'm sad that I won't see new competitive programs from them, that I won't see them winning again, that I won't have to get up in the middle of the night, sitting anxiously on my couch, rooting for them and cheering them on. There is just no other skater, no other couple who has what they had and I will really, really miss them. So the only thing left for me is the hope that they will tour in Europe and that I will at least see them in show programs.
Thank you my friend, this is exactly it. I am thrilled for them, sad for me :(

I too hope that you will see them skate :)

barbarafan

Happy One Year, everyone! :)

I've been bouncing between forum boards lately. Though I have been silent about some things, I must say that I wish people can be kinder to those who strive for something and with the best of intentions. The talk/review about Thank You Canada Tour by some people are just plain brutal. It's a shame that some call it saccharine or some form of another (i.e. boasting). My view is these Canadian skaters sincerely put out this show to show appreciation to the fans (and for each other) for their unwavering support throughout their career. Gee, what better way to show this appreciation than to skate their hearts out, right?

This is a great opportunity for Patrick Chan, Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir - ones who may be out from competitive circuit (Not official yet for VM but it may be likely they won't be in the Fourth Games as hinted in the article below). I just wish people would just be happy for them. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, don't watch. But don't be callous as to needless bash what is supposed to be a sincere effort showing Thanks.

Anyways, I got to get that off my chest.

Enjoy this piece! :) https://www.olympic.org/news/five-medals-three-games-two-consummate-figure-skaters

It is Dave Lease and he is a bit of a b*itch when skaters do not grant him interviews. When MFD told him he could visit Gadbois one of his big reasons was to see V/M but the were not there that day(they were in Toronto for business)and he was nasty about it. I am not surprised he took the opportunity to put them and CDn's down. One by one his audience decreases.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

When skaters I love are retiring, I'm seldom sad at the time. I'd be sad if V&M continued on and things went sour, as I expect they would. :lol: But I'm usually at peace when my faves retire. It doesn't hit me, what you note above, until months and months later. After years of ups and downs with different skaters, that hole remains until someone new comes up. For me, V&M filled a Dubreuil & Lauzon-sized hole in my heart in 2008, so I was lucky. Now I have space for the myriad of really interesting teams coming up, or re-discovering teams I wasn't too hot on before, like C&B. I can sure as heck enjoy P&C without issue. :p

V&M left on such a high note - not just winning OGM, but they seemed HAPPY in their last two years. For whatever reason, they didn't seem to have the same spark/joy in the last years leading up to Sochi.

Colonel Green

It says "Assigned to a 2019 ISU Grand Prix event" and "Competing in the 2019/2020 season". The second is indeed vague, and it's difficult to understand whether skaters really are obligated to compete in the fall. But, if they must, they can still compete in some other competition before the GPs, like W/P did this season (they competed in the Autumn Classic). There is nothing about having to compete in the GPs - it only says "assigned to a GP event". It would be strange and too harsh to deny skaters the chance to get onto the National team if they missed their GP(s), say, because of a trauma/for reasons of health. If SC don't want skaters skipping GPs for other reasons, they have to be more specific about it.
It's not vague, though. You're assigned to a Grand Prix in the expectation that you will go. If you're medically unable to go, that's one thing; skipping a competition assignment to take a paying gig elsewhere is quite another.

dramagrrl

When skaters I love are retiring, I'm seldom sad at the time. I'd be sad if V&M continued on and things went sour, as I expect they would. :lol: But I'm usually at peace when my faves retire. It doesn't hit me, what you note above, until months and months later. After years of ups and downs with different skaters, that hole remains until someone new comes up. For me, V&M filled a Dubreuil & Lauzon-sized hole in my heart in 2008, so I was lucky. Now I have space for the myriad of really interesting teams coming up, or re-discovering teams I wasn't too hot on before, like C&B. I can sure as heck enjoy P&C without issue. :p

V&M left on such a high note - not just winning OGM, but they seemed HAPPY in their last two years. For whatever reason, they didn't seem to have the same spark/joy in the last years leading up to Sochi.
I will feel a twinge of sadness when the "official" retirement announcement comes, and there is a part of me that has a SEKRET desire to see them troll the skating world by announcing they intend to compete in Montreal next season (and then win and set off a gigantic round of hilarious whining/complaining/wuzrobbed from many other contingents! :violin::D), but like @Andora said, they had an amazing run, accomplished everything possible, and left on the highest of high notes. I would hate to see them decide to compete again and end with anything less, and almost everything else would be less. (Even if they managed to win another OGM, it is highly unlikely Canada will be able to field a OGM-winning team for 2022, so it would still be less of a high note than Pyeongchang.)

V&M filled the gigantic, gaping B&K-shaped hole in my heart that I thought would never be filled, both because I loved B&K with the ferocity of a teenaged heart and soul for ten years, and because of the way B&K ended with their split shortly after finally winning Worlds. I already had my eye on V&M since their pre-novice win in 2001, but I had learned to beware of falling too much in love with young teams before they hit the senior ranks, so I was treading lightly, but it was nice to have a gut feeling that there was already a team that would continue (and, I felt even then, surpass) B&K's legacy once they were gone. I am waiting now to see who will manage to fill parts of the big hole in my skatefan heart that V&M have left behind. (I thought I was going to spend this quad switching to pairs and follow Seguin/Bilodeau, but obviously, that did not work out for me. :wuzrobbed )

canbelto

I think they mentioned that the training environment in Detroit with Marina and Davis/White was tense and unhappy in a way that it wasn't in Montreal even though they were also training with their competitors P/C. Guess it's just personal chemistry why they were able to train alongside P/C without the training environment getting uncomfortable?

believed

I think they mentioned that the training environment in Detroit with Marina and Davis/White was tense and unhappy in a way that it wasn't in Montreal even though they were also training with their competitors P/C. Guess it's just personal chemistry why they were able to train alongside P/C without the training environment getting uncomfortable?
I don’t think they didn’t get uncomfortable (as I don’t think the rest of the Gadbois teams don’t feel uncomfortable, no matter what they say) — didn’t Zach D say P/C and V/M didn’t practice in the same rink last year?, but the difference between the two situations is, which is something they’ve talked about before, that in Montreal, they learned from their last 2 years in Canton and took charge of their career, their music choices, and what their vision was. They were very open in communication with their team and it helped a lot.

Emdee

I think this was likely their agreement ie 2 years after Olympics.
I can see that Tessa wants a life away from skating and Scott spoke in his podcast of his need to sustain relationships and start a family so not unexpected. This did have those years after Sochi where they did tours etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information