Best pairs programs of all time

alj5

Competitive Skates:
Mishkutyonok & Dmitriev's 1991&1992 Liebestraum
Gordeeva & Grinkov's 1994 short and free, 1990 free (euros is better), 1988 olympic free
Meno & Sand - Turandot 1995 and 1996 free program, Rachmaninov 1997 FP
Shishkova & Naumov - Meditation FP from 1997 or 1998
Kovarikova & Novotny - Force of Destiny FP from 1995
Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze - almost anything. 2000-2001 Meditation FP, 2001-2002 Lady Caliph SP, both 1998-1999 programs (interestingly I didn't really enjoy their exhibitions)
Shen & Zhao - Turandot FP from 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 seasons, Nutcracker FP from 2003-2004, Claire de Lune SP 2004-2005, both programs from 2005-2006 (Rachmaninov and madame butterfly), both programs from 2006-2007 (romanza and meditation)
Sale & Pelletier - free programs Love Story, Rachmaninov Adagio (Orchid), Tristan & Isolde.
Pang & Tong - Butterfly Lovers FP, Impossible Dream FP, Chopin Nocturne SP, Lady Caliph SP
Savchenko & Szolkowy - Schindler's List/Adagio FP from 2009, Out of Africa FP from 2010, Pina FP from 2012, Pink Panther SP from 2014 (I liked it better as a short than a long), Nutcracker FP from 2014
Dube & Davison's Blowers Daughter FP
Kawaguchi & Smirnov - The Swan SP, Claire de Lune FP, All Alone SP, Meditation SP
Stiegler & Travis - 1995 short program
Stiegler & Zimmerman - 1997 free program
Stiegler & Stiegler - 1998 free program to R+J. They had so much potential. She was such a performer.

Exhibitions/Pro Programs:
Gordeeva & Grinkov - Vocalise, Reverie, The Man I Love, Requiem, That's Entertainment, honestly anything.
Martini & Underhill - Yesterday
Hough & Ladret - Are You Gonna Go My Way, Is It A Crime
Shen & Zhao - Come What May from Moulin Rouge and Ramalama
Bechke & Petrov - You Don't Bring Me Flowers

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
^^^ I never saw it as fun and unique like I see Cain & LeDuc's SP as fun and unique.

I saw it as tacky. And terrible unpleasant music.

And worst costume trophy holder until Carolina unleashed her lime green last year.

Everything else of theirs I loved.

oleada

Wow, I couldnā€™t disagree more. Alionaā€™s catsuit was amazing and memorable. If I had her body, I would wear it nonstop. Cain/LeDucā€™s SP is the bargain bin version of Savchenko/Massotā€™s far superiorā€™s That Man program.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Wow, I couldnā€™t disagree more. Alionaā€™s catsuit was amazing and memorable. If I had her body, I would wear it nonstop. Cain/LeDucā€™s SP is the bargain bin version of Savchenko/Massotā€™s far superiorā€™s That Man program.

LOL... bright neon pink? Bleh, leave it for show skating on a day where I didnt buy a ticket. Worse costume until Carolina debuted that grasshopper outfit. Alijona forever wears catsuits so they become less memorable for me.

LOL, Bargain bin? lol Come on... Ok, to each their own.... lol

Japanfan

And worst costume trophy holder until Carolina unleashed her lime green last year.

The costume and color were entirely appropriate for the program.

Alijona forever wears catsuits so they become less memorable for me.

Catsuits are slowly becoming more popular - Vanessa James rocks them just as Aliona does - and as a result, are becoming less memorable.

What I like about them is the matching possibilities they bring to costuming. And they do sometimes highlight line better.

legjumper

I digress, but am reminded that I am having trouble getting used to the shorter programs this season. It seems that something is missing, and that programs don't build to a climax as well as they used to.
I really felt this keenly at Four Continents last weekend watching the pairs LP live in the arena. Four minutes just donā€™t seem to be enough to fully express a program.

whiteskates

I love everything by B/S. Their lines were superb. I also like most of what has been mentioned in this thread but I am suprised no one has mentioned a couple of S/S programmes that I loved. Pina from 2012 was a great programme despite the mistakes. I also liked their Schindler's list LP from 2009. It didn't come across as great on TV as it did live. I saw it live once and found it breathtaking.

briancoogaert

Last edited:

Japanfan

I really am a fan of yesteryear skating... I love the purity, the lines.... even a simple SBS spin back then was SO much better..... One position can be so evenly matched, so nice to look at... versus 14 positions of today crammed into 12 seconds... bleh.....

OTOH, taking a glass-half full perspective, lifts and death spirals weren't held for long in the programs of yesteryear, lifts didn't have multiple positions, and the double twist was the standard. Technical/athletic standards have evolved.

A great program is timeless, but I would say that I generally prefer contemporary programs to older ones - contemporary meaning last 30 years or so, roughly.

I thought the B/E pro skating number was interesting, because many of their moves are similar to the moves that pairs are doing today. I didn't really start watch FS seriously until 98, so missed the B/E era. But they look to be a very progressive pair to me.

I agree. Under the old system some of the pairs men looked like they were about to have a stroke just pressing up a tiny little lady into a hand to hand one position lift that lasted about 2 seconds lol. *heave* *up* *lady quickly raises one hand* *down* *gasp for air*

This. I was shocked to see the lifts in the older programs.

J

Jeschke

Surprised no one has mentioned Savchenko/Szolkowy's Pink Panther LP yet? (Or did I miss it?)
I will never get tired of saying, that the ā€šYouā€˜ll never walk aloneā€˜ FS could have been one great Olympic march/moment 2010.
I really was sad seeing them dropping it after 2 outings already.
ā€šwhen winter comesā€˜ I would have approved way more than the switch to PP last minute, too.

As for their best program: ā€šSend in the clownsā€˜ was foot perfect for mešŸ˜

Last edited by a moderator:

lurkz2

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In addition to all the G&G programs mentioned above I adore their 1989 programs which, while a bit watered down technically, showcased the start of their romantic relationship.

SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9_ngEk7Crg

FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSSfZlJNkGE

I also loved their 1987 Jazzy Piano SP, which featured an amazing step sequence, but the copies on the internet are really grainy.

I had mentioned their 89 LP (thanks for the link. I was too lazy to get on my computer). I think it was watered down because they had missed the entire season (leading up to worlds 89) because of Gordeevaā€™s injury, and as Katia said before the skate, she was nervous, but they were as perfect as any pair could be. The smiles on their faces told how thrilled they were with their skate.

I didnā€™t care much for their 89 SP. It was good but nothing special to me. I loved their 88 Olympics SP.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really am a fan of yesteryear skating... I love the purity, the lines.... even a simple SBS spin back then was SO much better..... One position can be so evenly matched, so nice to look at... versus 14 positions of today crammed into 12 seconds... bleh.....

Such a wonderful program.

Now, speaking of Mishkutenok & Dmitriev reallness... "Nostalgia" REALLY is such a GORG program... I love every detail and every second of this briefly used program...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhz3b_tA9ps

Now take a look at the following GEM... Brasseur & Eisler.. "Welcome To My World" this was done in 95 and I still think of it all the time.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_ZFgQsqFfE

^^^ God, I love this program.. and the arena is packed!!!

I love these 2 programs for how different they are.

I too love the old style of pairs skating, with its attention to every detail. M&Dā€™s Nostalgia was gorgeous. So was their Panflute Ex at the 94 Oly.

What I have noticed is that in the last 10 years or so, many pairs are ignoring postures, lines, and unison on spins and in sbs jumps. I am afraid this maybe the result of trying to stay competitive with pairs who have big throws and splits, but so so unison, positions, etc. The lack of the details has not hurt them, so why even bother to work on it? It pains me to see that a top Russian pair like Tarasova Morozov has only average unison on their sbs spins and jumps (compared with the earlier T&M- Totmianina Marinin who had immaculate unison on their sbs jumps). They do have gorgeous positions though.

Last edited:

Japanfan

What I have noticed is that in the last 10 years or so, many pairs are ignoring postures, lines, and unison on spins and in sbs jumps. I am afraid this maybe the result of trying to stay competitive with pairs who have big throws and splits, but so so unison, positions, etc. The lack of the details has not hurt them, so why even bother to work on it? It pains me to see that a top Russian pair like Tarasova Morozov has only average unison on their sbs spins and jumps (compared with the earlier T&M- Totmianina Marinin who had immaculate unison on their sbs jumps). They do have gorgeous positions though.

But do T/M lack of unison because of ability, or because it hasn't been a focus in their training? I don't think Russian coaches are abandoning the standards of the classic Russian style, which is still beautiful. And, I think unison is rewarded under Cop - it reflects SS.

Not all Russian pairs are created equal, and not every Russian pair is a great pair. T/M have just never captured my attention, in part because 'Candyman' was such a poor match for them. I think of them as rather 'vanilla'. In contrast, I was really struck by the amazing unison of Tot/Mar. Although they didn't excite me much either, their unison was a thing of beauty to behold.

Inessence

I rarely see any opinions on Yamaguchi and Galindo back Before Kristi went singles only. Just an observation.

skatesindreams

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Agreed!
I thought the program was unworthy of them, and their ability, in every way.
At best, it was suitable for an exhibition, IMO.

LOL Im usually a party of one but good to see someone agrees too. I love all their other programs....just not that. It was an exhibition piece if you ask me. And thats fine. just not my taste.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It seems like they get no love, but I did love Totmianina/Marinin's Ave Maria SP. It was clinically perfect and put me in a daze at 2005 Worlds.

I loved their crisp moves, lines, unison. Their Ave Maria SP was special, not just in its technical perfection, but because of the psychological hurdles they had to overcome. This was the first program (not performance) they skated in a competition after their horrific accident at SA. Marinin in particular struggled a lot with his confidence after the accident. Tanya did not have memory of it so she struggled less but it was difficult for them as a pair to get back to the high level (they were the reigning world champions)

Their Snowstorm SP at the 2006 Olympics was beautifully skated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information