Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

screech

More evidence of Keegan being the greatest sportsman... When Jackie Wong tweeted about how supportive Keegan is, Kirsten Moore-Towers replied "Also congratulated me while I was sitting in the stands DURING his six minute warm up."
During his own warm-up, with the national title on the line, the guy finds a way to congratulate his friend.
We need more of Keegan in the world.

dramagrrl

I would like a buddy comedy starring Nam and Keegan, wherein Nam gets himself into ridiculous situations like road trips with strangers, eats mountains of junk food, and watches Gene Kelly movies, and Keegan comes to save him from his antics. ;)

(In each episode, Stephen Gogolev would make a cameo appearance wherein he would just randomly appear on screen; viewers would suddenly hear a voiceover of Rod Black saying, "HE'S ONLY FOURTEEN!!!" and then he would disappear from the screen. :lol: )

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I would like a buddy comedy starring Nam and Keegan, wherein Nam gets himself into ridiculous situations like road trips with strangers, eats mountains of junk food, and watches Gene Kelly movies, and Keegan comes to save him from his antics. ;)

(In each episode, Stephen Gogolev would make a cameo appearance wherein he would just randomly appear on screen; viewers would suddenly hear a voiceover of Rod Black saying, "HE'S ONLY FOURTEEN!!!" and then he would disappear from the screen. :lol: )

I am LIVING for this. We need to make it happen.

Colonel Green

Regarding the junior men, while we mostly talk about Stephen, Conrad and Joseph, one of the other medalists on the JGP this season, Iliya Kovler, is probably going to become more important in the next few seasons as Conrad and Joseph move up. Unlike the other guys, Iliya isn't doing quadruple jumps yet, but he said at Nationals that next season he wants to introduce hopefully two different quads.

TallyT

Love it - how would we fit Elladj in though? I mean, there's got to be a bit for him....

mag

Just going to jump in and say how impressed I am with Elladj on the mike. I don’t know if he has had formal training or is just a natural, but I could seem him becoming a fabulous commentator in the future. Fabulous voice and timing.

dramagrrl

All the other guys can guest star, but Nic Nadeau will get banned from the show for swearing on camera. :lol:

P. Chiddy can appear in an episode, serving his fine wines to the skaters who are of age. That would be a perfect scene for Stephen's cameo in that episode, with Rod yelling, "HE'S ONLY FOURTEEN!!!" before he disappears from the wine and the scene. :D

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I think, though, the guys would not want it to be a road movie. They are all still traumatized by their trip home from SJ.
Maybe set on the beach in Vancouver. After all PChiddy is there now and Nam started there. I won't start on what else might be served besides wine.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the 2019 Bavarian Open (Feb. 5-10 in Oberstdorf GER) competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-5-10-oberstdorf-germany.105212/#post-5524365
Good to see Canada sending Conrad Orzel in an attempt to get [ISU senior technical] minimum scores, in addition to Aurora Cotop.
@RoseRed noted in the U.S. Men's thread that Wesley Chiu, the Canadian novice men's champion, is entered in the Advanced Novice event.

ETA links to 2 local Vancouver articles about Chiu:
Statement win for national skating champion
Chiu upped his degree of difficulty significantly, including adding a second triple lutz to his long program. He then went out and executed both skates to about 95 percent of his ability resulting in his wide margin of victory.
“The content that he had totally superseded what everyone else was attempting,” explained his Connaught coach Keegan Murphy. “He was going huge risk and huge reward.
“I’m extremely proud of him. It was a huge venue, very intimidating. Yes he did what he trained and I know what he can do. But the fact is he was able to find a calm and confidence in himself to to show his skill in that environment and that’s all him.” <snip>
Chiu is a good bet to be representing B.C. at next month’s Canada Winter Games in Red Deer. He also is expected to receive an international assignment from Skate Canada. He earned bronze in Wisconsin [North American Series] last summer.
Connaught skater crowned Canadian Novice champion

Last edited:

Scrufflet

I think, though, the guys would not want it to be a road movie. They are all still traumatized by their trip home from SJ.
Maybe set on the beach in Vancouver. After all PChiddy is there now and Nam started there. I won't start on what else might be served besides wine.
This gets better by the minute!

Rock2

Good news for Conrad. He skated well enough and placed high enough to warrant at least one more assignment. And yes, setting himself up with at least 4CC mins for next year is a great move by SC. Phan, on the other hand will have to wait until next season for that chance, I have to assume.

I wish there was a path for us to get 3 spots in senior as well as junior next year. I think next season we'll have a fairly full cupboard of worlds-worthy seniors and juniors. The recent Euros results does leave the door slightly open for that possibility...but only slightly.

Japanfan

Too bad Keegan had such a rough skate, but again such a great sportsman, pounding the boards for Nam and giving him the biggest hug as they passed each other on the ice (and backstage too).

I agree that Keegan demonstrated sportsmanship, but also think he's very easy going (his performances have a happy go lucky element, which is part of Keegan's appeal) and not super competitive by nature (although all elite figure skaters are competitive to a certain extent). Some skaters would have been angry at not defending their title/making mistakes (Jennifer Robinson said she was super angry with herself when she lost her title - to whom it was, I don't remember).

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Keegan struggled through some rough landings yesterday, but that was his best short program since SCI, so I was glad to see him doing well (and getting the quad again).

Nam apparently injured his ankle in practice (the ice in Anaheim also took out Rika Kihira's finger, so it seems hostile), and with that in mind he did pretty well indeed. Though given that 4CC isn't a qualifying competition, I wonder if he'd have been better to just withdraw rather than risk anything serious that would impede him at Worlds.

Nic, beautiful triple Axel, and he's such a great performer. He needs to get the quad sorted out.

Erin

Banned Member
Nam apparently injured his ankle in practice (the ice in Anaheim also took out Rika Kihira's finger, so it seems hostile), and with that in mind he did pretty well indeed. Though given that 4CC isn't a qualifying competition, I wonder if he'd have been better to just withdraw rather than risk anything serious that would impede him at Worlds.

I was wondering the same thing about withdrawing rather than risking it. 4CC doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things and given how up and down Keegan has been this season, I'd rather see Nam healthy at Worlds than pushing himself through this. (Off topic for this thread but I'm wondering the same thing about why Shoma is competing through his injury)

shuilee

Conrad Orzel got his tech minimums. Maybe he's now 1st alternate for Senior Worlds, hopefully?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Conrad Orzel missed his technical minimums for Senior Worlds by 0.01 in SP and missed again by 0.06 in LP. :eek: How is that even possible? Sheesh judges!! Nadeau is safe again as the Worlds alternate.

No, he got them. The minimums for scores earned this season are still 34 and 64.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
I'm sure MTV Canada could make this a reality show.
When I was little, there was a reality show with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie called "The Simple Life". Nicole's shtick was wanting to sleep with the husband of a couple - LOL.
Maybe Keegan and Nam could do something similar where they get into predicaments every week.
It would be fun if they could do a team challenge "Nam & Keegan" vs. "Tonya & Nancy".

Seerek

Interesting that the La Presse writer in the Phan article above would later (in the same article) discuss and speculate on Gogolev's future after growth spurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information