Detroit selected to host 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Not coming to Detroit, but live two hours east, so our weather is basically the same.
For those coming from warmer climates, if you will be outside for longer than 10/15 minutes or so, - besides the actual temperature, its the wind chill and the amount of moisture in the air that will make it feel MUCH COLDER.
Layers, hats, mitts, scarves, thick socks, boots, are needed. Consider a big versatile knit or fleece shawl that can be put around your shoulders or over your lap and legs. You can always un-layer yourself in the arena if needed.
Thanks for the reminder. I need to find my gloves. I was freezing in Boston for worlds. This is going to much worse. Hahaha

YukiNieve

An email from the organizer, 313 Presents says:

Re-Entry Policy
For the comfort and safety of our guests, Little Caesars Arena and its surrounding areas are non-smoking and re-entry to the arena after exiting is not allowed.

It's very cold and the people will probably not go out once they are inside, but prohibiting re-entry all together sounds pretty strict.

acraven

No sign of giveaway lanyards.

It has twice been quite cold in the main arena down near the ice. In two other cases it was not so bad.

No problems finding water fountains.

Bag search has varied from moderate to obsessive. They seem to be letting apples tbrough. I don't know about other food, but I have a feeling they are mainly looking for weapons. I have been asked to unzip my coat and remove my hat.

At least one of the concessions is confiscating bottle caps.

acraven

One other thing: There is an excess of stairs. You have the usual number of steps inside the arena between the top of the lower bowl and ice level (30?), but before you even get to the top of the lower bowl you have already descended a couple flights of stairs--maybe another 30 steps. There is an elevator from street level to the top of the lower bowl, but of course nothing to allow you to avoid the steps within the arena proper.

On a more positive note, I had some good chicken tinga (soft) tacos in the arena yesterday.

Japanfan

Bag search has varied from moderate to obsessive. They seem to be letting apples tbrough. I don't know about other food, but I have a feeling they are mainly looking for weapons. I have been asked to unzip my coat and remove my hat.

Image immediately comes to mind of various FSUers with a gun in their bag. :D

aftershocks

Banned Member
On a more positive note, I had some good chicken tinga (soft) tacos in the arena yesterday.

:D I'm not sure what 'tinga' is but maybe you could share some with the Knierims before their next outing to help give them some zip and zinga. ;) Hope they bring it in fp, but I have doubts they are going to make it to Worlds this time.

It's a real necessity for security to do thorough bag checks in this day and age.

Debbie S

You've had quite the travel nightmare for this comp!
Seriously! I should have gone to 4CC. I would have seen Ting and I missed Ryan here anyway. He and his parents are also stuck. Misery loves company, sigh.

So looking forward to Greensboro! Are you making the trip? :)

peibeck

Simply looking
Seriously! I should have gone to 4CC. I would have seen Ting and I missed Ryan here anyway. He and his parents are also stuck. Misery loves company, sigh.

So looking forward to Greensboro! Are you making the trip? :)

I'm going to 4CC and next year (hopefully) SKAM and Montreal Worlds. I'm waiting for my SKAM time off to be approved at work right now, then I'll start making those plans.

I'd love to do Worlds in Stockholm too, but if I do that I probably will skip Nationals in 2021 too. Worlds before the Olympics are always so :drama:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Yep, all SW flights canceled. I couldn't get out tonight, so I am stuck until Tuesday. Forecast for my home on Tuesday calls for rain changing to snow in the afternoon. My flight gets in at 1. Kill.me.now.

Not all - @Liz V Lizand I got out on our 5:50am flight, but I don't know how many went after us.

mposl

I was just wondering if anyone used the skate radio’s in Detroit? I am going to Greensboro next year and was going to bring mine but wasn’t sure if they still utilize that or not.

Debbie S

I was just wondering if anyone used the skate radio’s in Detroit? I am going to Greensboro next year and was going to bring mine but wasn’t sure if they still utilize that or not.
I was able to get the technical analysis channel with mine. I hope they still work in Greensboro. If you have an iPhone, there is a Skate Radio app, but not for Android.

Carolla5501

I was able to get the technical analysis channel with mine. I hope they still work in Greensboro. If you have an iPhone, there is a Skate Radio app, but not for Android.

The radio worked better than the app. App was about 6 seconds behind

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information