2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Colonel Green

@Colonel Green any report on who you did see?
Do you mean of the ladies? I saw Aurora (who I'm guessing wasn't expecting to podium here because she didn't have a gala program) and Alaine (who was a highlight; I'd seen her at the SCI gala, but it didn't make much of an impression on me then, whereas here she had really strong comic timing in her movements). Veronik performed, but I missed most of it.

Sylvia

TBD
Cotop better be given an opportunity for a senior international to get the tech minimums.
From this Canadian Press article: https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/n...nadas-team-at-the-world-championships-277358/

The other [Worlds] spot could go to Aurora Cotop, who won silver on Saturday evening, but doesn't have the technical score needed to qualify for the world championships. Skate Canada will send her to an international event in Germany next month [Bavarian Open] in an effort to get the score needed.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
It’s a tough for our ladies. Kaetlyn is on hiatus and Gabby is just coming back. Without Gabby, we would be most likely down to one berth for Montreal.

If Alaine can skate like she did at Nationals I think she can place top 12. The field this year isn’t as strong as it’s been in the past. Then as long as one of the 2nd or 3rd Canadian girls makes the FS they would hold onto 2 spots. It’s not a done deal by any means but I think there’s a good possibility it can happen.

Zazy

Oh, that's risky; isn't it? I mean one botched SP like the one Cotop had at Junior Worlds last year, and Cotop wouldn't get either berth.

And even if she does get her senior minimums, it seems she's not a given for the worlds spot.
Cotop, Mallet and Austman were all very close in scores at nationals and I could see them going with whoever skates best at their pre-worlds event, to try to get two spots for next year.

Seerek

If Alaine can skate like she did at Nationals I think she can place top 12.

Assuming Lim, Tursynbaeva are out of reach...

If Alaine can be within range of Paganini, Lindfors/Peltonen, Schott and Meite/Lecavelier, she has a shot. We also don't know what Hendrickx's status will be by March.

mag

And even if she does get her senior minimums, it seems she's not a given for the worlds spot.
Cotop, Mallet and Austman were all very close in scores at nationals and I could see them going with whoever skates best at their pre-worlds event, to try to get two spots for next year.

That is what I am worried about. Assuming all three end up with the score, Nationals order should prevail. None of them meet any of the criteria set out by SC for jumping the line. At some point laying down when it counts has to matter. If laying it down at Nationals was good enough to select the Olympic and World team last year, it should be good enough this year.

Rock2

That is what I am worried about. Assuming all three end up with the score, Nationals order should prevail. None of them meet any of the criteria set out by SC for jumping the line. At some point laying down when it counts has to matter. If laying it down at Nationals was good enough to select the Olympic and World team last year, it should be good enough this year.

Agree. I think Nationals order will prevail. You're opening a huge can of worms to play with nationals finishing order to war game what might happen at world's. Gabby would be the only exception.

I think Aurora goes if she gets her score in Germany.

My question is I wonder what they'll be able to add to her programs for Japan. I just have this feeling it will be 3T/2T combo and a 3F in the short, and the long might be the same other than maybe a second flip. Not sure what more would be realistic.

Reactions: mag

Jammers

If the Canadian Fed is smart they'll send Aurora to Worlds if she gets the minimums. The 3rd spot is pretty much lost for next season but they need to start looking to the future for the Canadian ladies because after Kaetlyn and Gabby retire it's going to be a few roughyears and it's going to take the next generation to carry on and better to start now before they are both gone. This situation reminds me a bit of the US Ladies in 2008 when the US fed knew the 3rd spot was most likely going to be lost and they had a defending national champion who was struggling and didn't make the podium and a 16 year old with limited experience go to Worlds.

coppertop1

It’s a catch-22. Go with the podium and risk going down to one berth next year or send Gabby and open a can of worms about not going with the podium. If Cotopaxi gets the minimum, she should go. She was second.

RoseRed

It’s a catch-22. Go with the podium and risk going down to one berth next year or send Gabby and open a can of worms about not going with the podium. If Cotopaxi gets the minimum, she should go. She was second.
I don't think it would really be a can of worms to send Gabby. The comments about going with the podium were about Aurora vs Larkyn or Veronik I thought. Given Gabby's achievements, as long as she's monitoring well prior to Worlds, I don't think it would be controversial at all to send her.

mag

I don’t think anyone is questioning Gabby getting a spot. She meets the critera set out by SC prior to Nationals. The concern, at least mine, is whether or not Véronik might be bumped for Austman should Austman get the score at 4CC’s. There is no reason to believe Aurora will be bumped by Veronik because SC have stated they are sending Aurora out to get the score. Why would they do that if they don’t plan to send her if she is successful?

S

SmallFairy

Agree. I think Nationals order will prevail. You're opening a huge can of worms to play with nationals finishing order to war game what might happen at world's. Gabby would be the only exception.

I think Aurora goes if she gets her score in Germany.

My question is I wonder what they'll be able to add to her programs for Japan. I just have this feeling it will be 3T/2T combo and a 3F in the short, and the long might be the same other than maybe a second flip. Not sure what more would be realistic.
It's hard to tell how much content is needed to make the FS at worlds, and it seems to be increasing every year. In 2018 Anne Line Gjersem did
3lo2t and 3f, and didn't make it. Of course, there's more to it than jumps.

Dobre

I don’t think anyone is questioning Gabby getting a spot. She meets the critera set out by SC prior to Nationals.

With Gabby, I think the question is whether it will be good for Gabby to compete at Worlds. Or better for her to continue to heal emotionally and tackle a new season. I assume it will be entirely up to Gabby and her team to make that decision.

Erin

Banned Member
With Gabby, I think the question is whether it will be good for Gabby to compete at Worlds. Or better for her to continue to heal emotionally and tackle a new season. I assume it will be entirely up to Gabby and her team to make that decision.

That was definitely the impression I had from the Mike Slipchuk interview at Canadians. That the spot was Gabby's if she wanted it, but that it may not be in her best interest to compete at Worlds and that Skate Canada would respect that.

I think the uncertainty surrounding Gabby and the lack of minimum scores for Cotop (and even Austman) are why there are two spots left open instead of one. Otherwise Veronik would be named to the team as someone who both has the minimum scores and finished in the top 3 at Nationals. But I can see a scenario where Cotop gets the minimums and Gabby is feeling good and ready to compete, so those are the two who go. Or a scenario where Cotop doesn't get the scores but Austman does and Gabby makes the decision not to go, so Mallet and Austman go with Chartrand. So I can see now why Chartrand was the only one named. Skate Canada does need options.

Rock2

It's hard to tell how much content is needed to make the FS at worlds, and it seems to be increasing every year. In 2018 Anne Line Gjersem did
3lo2t and 3f, and didn't make it. Of course, there's more to it than jumps.

Yes, it seems to be a moving target. And with a new cycle upon us the score could go up or down.
PCS will be such a big part of it. The more obscure skaters are at a big disadvantage. With no real international rep and very average SS, Cotop would mostly likely not get over 25 in PCS in the short, so she'll need her levels and GOE on everything in the absence of a 3/3 to make it through to the free.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Assuming Lim, Tursynbaeva are out of reach...

If Alaine can be within range of Paganini, Lindfors/Peltonen, Schott and Meite/Lecavelier, she has a shot. We also don't know what Hendrickx's status will be by March.

3 Japan Ladies
3 Russian Ladies
1 Korean Lady (Lim/Kim)
2 US ladies (presuming it’s Tennell and Bell)

That’s only 9. Tursynbaeva could go either way and a healthy Hendrix would likely slot ahead as well but she just pulled out of Euros. Plus if the US team has any wildcards like a Starr Andrews that could be another person she could beat.

We will have a better idea after Euros if any of those girls are in the mix.

Rock2

3 Japan Ladies
3 Russian Ladies
1 Korean Lady (Lim/Kim)
2 US ladies (presuming it’s Tennell and Bell)

That’s only 9. Tursynbaeva could go either way and a healthy Hendrix would likely slot ahead as well but she just pulled out of Euros. Plus if the US team has any wildcards like a Starr Andrews that could be another person she could beat.

We will have a better idea after Euros if any of those girls are in the mix.

Good rundown.
Bell is #2 fave going in to nationals (among senior eligible)? Yikes.

I honestly think it starts to break down after the Japanese and Russians are factored in.
I might have Lim as a top 7-8 lock but I'm wondering aloud if she's a strong competitor in big events or if she'll be more of the Marin Honda variety when the chips are down. Will probably come through for top 6 but I'm not yet ready to lock that in.

After these 7 there are concerns about consistency, messy landings, etc, even with the Americans. I don't see any CAN lady other than Gabby making top 8 but Alaine could be in the mix for top 10/12 with a good short, that might even feature one UR.

I'd be dying to see what Cotop could pull skating early but with a 3T/3T and 3F but I'm just not sure if she'll have that ready for Japan. Let's see if she upgrades anything for Germany.

mag

Alaine already has a higher SB than Kailani, FYI. Actually, so do Veronik and Gabby.

I know. But Kailani is a fierce competitor. She also competes a lot and is well trained, focused, and, as far as we know, injury free. She is also not balancing school and skating.

ETA: I would be happy to be proved wrong. I just would not count her out.

mag

Interesting that Austman thinks she can win a national title without a 3lutz or 3flip. She’s delusional.

Well that is the message she has been given by her team and by judging and tech panels. Look back through the last year of so at local comps and sectionals. Heck, just look at her long program at Nationals. There is one spread eagle, some three turns, and cross overs. That is it for the entire program (other than the step sequence and choreography sequence.) I didn’t see one difficult turn, yet her range of marks for transitions was 6.25 to 7.5 garnering a total of 11.38 points for something she did not do. Even with no choreography she was unable to land the jumps. Look at the GOE on the jumps. Every one of her jumps is now entered into from two basic, arms out, cross overs. There is not one difficult entry. At Sections her 2A+2A had a GOE range of +2 to +4 and at Nationals the range was +1 to +3. She has a nice 2A but it is not anything special. With no difficult entry, speed or height, how is she getting +4! At Sections some judges were giving her +GOE on under rotated jumps, and again, with an entrance that is two basic cross overs.

If you were Larkyn, what message would you take from that? She scored 58.86, 29.42 in tech in her short program at Sections without a clean triple! Go an watch BC Summer Skate and then look at her report cards. The message was loud and clear. Just show up and skate and you will be rewarded. Unfortunately it all came crashing down at Nationals. She looked shocked at her marks which is totally understandable given how she has been marked in the past.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
While some of that may be true, she was only 1 point out of 2nd and she failed on many jumps that she hit at Challenge. Larkyn very easily could have won this skating just a little better.

mag

While some of that may be true, she was only 1 point out of 2nd and she failed on many jumps that she hit at Challenge. Larkyn very easily could have won this skating just a little better.

Exactly my point. If she had landed all her jumps I firmly believe she would have won.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Ahh, ok I wasn't quite sure. I think I fused Rafter's post with yours in my head.

Catherine M

Kim DeGuise Leveille is back on Ice partner search looking for a pairs partner. At her height, not sure if she'll be successful but hopefully there is someone out there for her to skate with.

Bonjour Sherry

Good rundown.
I honestly think it starts to break down after the Japanese and Russians are factored in.
I might have Lim as a top 7-8 lock but I'm wondering aloud if she's a strong competitor in big events or if she'll be more of the Marin Honda variety when the chips are down. Will probably come through for top 6 but I'm not yet ready to lock that in.

I love Lim and hope she'll place in the top 6. But Hendrickx, Tennell, Bell, and Tursynbaeva all have higher season's PBs than her. With that said, Eunsoo has managed to deliver at JWs the last two years, despite the early season inconsistencies.

Good rundown.
After these 7 there are concerns about consistency, messy landings, etc, even with the Americans. I don't see any CAN lady other than Gabby making top 8 but Alaine could be in the mix for top 10/12 with a good short, that might even feature one UR.

Unfortunately the technical callers have been really vicious with calling Alaine's cheated jumps this season, so unless that ends, she will be in the ballpark of Meite/Lecavelier, Lindfors/Peltonen, Paganini and YC Leung. But even though the judging panel wasn't kind to her at Nationals on rotations, she still blew her competition under the water. And the rest of the field (except for Mallett) isn't really any more consistent, so Alaine is definitely the most reliable Canadian at the moment.

Interesting that Austman thinks she can win a national title without a 3lutz or 3flip. She’s delusional.

I like Austman's style. But the current judging system is too flawed in terms of rewarding well-executed but VERY easy content. So if people are getting the idea that they can get great results with 80s-level tech content, well..

Last edited:
Reactions: mag

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I think if Daleman can show readiness in time for worlds, the team should be Chartrand, Daleman, and Cotop (assuming Cotop gets the TES score). Otherwise, Mallet instead of Cotop. If Austman ends up getting the TES minimums (I don't have much faith that she will pull it together to do it in both programs at 4CC, but we'll see), I will be furious if she ends up competing instead of Mallet or Cotop.

I think the best chance to keep two spots is having Daleman there, even if not 100%. Her short program from nationals was very promising. With a few more weeks of training I think she should be more prepared to deliver her free skate.
The key will be to get two skaters to qualify for the free, which would mean one skater needs to make top 12. Or 13th and 14th would do it or 13th and 15th. I think it's doable but not a guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information