2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Osmond4gold

Oh please, Tracey and Rod are a Canadian tradition and it would be hard to have one without the other. I have seen them live with the usual high 5's before their broadcast and the two actually like and have chemistry with each other. If not a fan perhaps it has more to do with their enthusiasm for Canadian skating than their performances. If you don't like it than don't watch it or if you feel the need to do so, suck it up and move on.

Last edited:

Janbo

go big or go home.
Oh please, Tracey and Rod are a Canadian tradition and it would be hard to have one without the other. I have seen them live with the usual high 5's before their broadcast and the two actually like and have chemistry with each other. If not a fan perhaps it has more to do with their enthusiasm for Canadian skating than their performances. If you don't like it than don't watch it or if you feel the need to do so, suck it up and move on.

Tracey is wonderfully knowledgeable. Rod needs a pre-skate Xanax cocktail. If I or anyone wants to opine about Rod, well, that's the point of a forum.

Osmond4gold

Tracey is wonderfully knowledgeable. Rod needs a pre-skate Xanax cocktail. If I or anyone wants to opine about Rod, well, that's the point of a forum.

Can you at least opine someplace else, as this was to be a thread regarding Canadian ladies skating and not a thread to rate Canadian commentators. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Alicia Pineault posted this photo with Shae-Lynn Bourne in early December: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrBcwwbB_dC/
Am I correct to assume that Bourne choreographed her "Woman" FS and Joey Russell her "Back to Black" SP? Her ISU bio doesn't specify.
I think it's the reverse, but I don't know for sure. Shae Lynn was listed as one of her choreographers for last season too, and she kept the SP. Joey Russell wasn't listed last year (going by the list of program music and choreographers on the Canadian Nationals ladies SP 2018 on Golden Skate).

honey

I think @RoseRed is right. I seem to remember the commentators at skate Canada mentioning that Shae did the short. I think Alicia also posted an Instagram story of her skating the footwork from the short when she was working with Shae-Lynn.

puglover

Exciting times! Nationals is always my favorite competition. Good vibes and positive thoughts to all those getting down to the home stretch in preparation. No injuries, flu bugs stay away, no issues with skates, blades or costumes, no break-ups or heartache. Best wishes for smooth sailing!

quartz

scratching at the light
I've low expectations for ladies in general. I've almost given up on Alaine, but if she were to make a move to take the top spot again, this is the time to do it. I've always like Veronik Mallet, so it would be really nice to see her skate well after her injury earlier this season. No idea really what to expect from Gabby, altho she could probably take gold even being not in top competition form.

mag

I reviewed a revised list and she's back on!!! Correct me if I'm wrong....

I haven’t heard anything new, but I don’t think she can be added back after she withdraws. The next skater in line from Challenge would already have been given the spot.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Carr is listed as WD on the start list but for some reason there are 19 skaters on the entry list, including Carr.

Sylvia

TBD
I haven’t heard anything new, but I don’t think she can be added back after she withdraws. The next skater in line from Challenge would already have been given the spot.
Hana Watanabe ON, 19th at Challenge, is listed #11 in the Junior Women's SP Jan. 7th revised starting order (replacing Daria Carr).

Erin

Banned Member
Why such pessimism about Gabby's return??? She doesn't deserve it!! I hope just hope that she's ready to compete!

I think it's best to approach her return with tempered expectations. I hope that she is ready to compete too, but it may take her a little while to get back to top shape. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic. Even before she took time off, she wasn't at her absolute best, but maybe the time off has allowed her to be refreshed.

That said, I think that @Colonel Green's point is still valid, especially since the selection criteria for Worlds includes such items as finishing in the top 10 at 2018 Worlds (Gabby is the only one who meets this), performance on both this year and last year's GP (Gabby's two 6th place finishes last year are still higher than what anyone put out this year) and "Demonstration of technical and component scores for a potential top 10 world placement in the specific discipline" (I think she is probably the only one who could meet this item). So while I hope she comes in and has a great Canadians, in the event it doesn't go well, I think that the group choosing the World team would have a lot of leeway to still choose her and give her more time to get back into training. They could also opt to wait until 4CC to name the team.

puglover

Am I right in understanding that funding for next year is still dependent on placing top 5 at nationals? Are there ways around that - I think Virtue and Moir were out for a nationals due to Tessa's legs a number of years ago. Does it impact national team selections?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Am I right in understanding that funding for next year is still dependent on placing top 5 at nationals?

Skaters at Daleman's level would be getting Sport Canada funding (carding) and would not be eligible for the Skate Canada grants, which are based on nationals placements. https://skatecanada.ca/national-team/skate-canada-high-performance-grants/

Sport Canada hasn't published the carded athletes lists in a few years and Skate Canada hasn't posted it either. But I'm sure Daleman would be guaranteed carding for at least another year based on her international results through 2018.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oh please, Tracey and Rod are a Canadian tradition and it would be hard to have one without the other.

Rod worked with several other co-hosts before Tracy joined CTV. They're far from being a "tradition" together. If Rod had been doing his quad-quad-quad-King-Elvis-quad nonsense when Tracy was there, I think she would have smacked him :lol:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Rod worked with several other co-hosts before Tracy joined CTV. They're far from being a "tradition" together. If Rod had been doing his quad-quad-quad-King-Elvis-quad nonsense when Tracy was there, I think she would have smacked him :lol:

“Elvis has entered the house!”
A classic! 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information