The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauravvv

I'm disappointed too because I prefer both their RD and FD to Hawayek/Bakers'. But this is entirely subjective.
Hawayek/Baker would have gone to the Final anyway if G/P would have been second in France, as first and fourth place has a preference above second and third. It's Zagorski/Guerreiro who now get to go "instead" of them.

Moustaffask8r

Having finally seen H&B's FD, if Chock/Bates don't show up with their Elvis number, the final FD flight at Nationals group is going to be kind of :yawn:

Funny considering all the success and influence the US has had in dance in recent years, we're going to get a final group of P/C style FDs back to back.
You don't have to watch! I think Canadian nationals is at the same time

D

Deleted member 74551

I’m thinking too far ahead, but I’d love it if the ISU made the Olympic year RD, the Golden Waltz and do the whole pattern plus the partial step sequence as opposed to the SBS step. I think that will be a huge challenge for all the teams.

It’ll have been what, 12 seasons since the Golden Waltz was last used if they keep it until 2022? It’s overdue! I’d love to see it brought back too, it’s my favourite compulsory.

I do hope TPTB don’t look at the hash many teams are making of the Tango Romantica this season and decide not to set the most challenging patterns going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

VGThuy

Sorry to talk about them again, but another thing I'm so impressed about with P/C is that most teams' one-foot footwork sections look like those generic sequences we used to have from 2011-2014 when a one-foot sequence was required in SDs/FDs of the SBS or circular step sequences with no real character or relationship to the rest of the choreo or music. However, not only do P/C make theirs look different from most other teams, they add steps that seem full of character, are interpreting the music during it (look at Gabi's face), and their steps seem more difficult than most team's in that section and yet they are still able to get level 3/4 on it on their first outing. I'm noticed a whole lot of level 2s or less for many teams this season during that section.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^^ I watched again last night.

I really LOVE the first half of the program. (Did others here say they preferred the first half too?) I think the reason is that the second half the lyrics go away and its just the music. But that last ending lift/spin is so dang good.

Why do you think Gilles & Poirier aren't getting scores such as theirs. (P.S. no haterzzz please.)

I think their innovation is matched. People think he needs a new partner, or was better with previous. But I think Piper is AMAZE balls!!!!

If you could perhaps break it down for me and let me know what I should be looking at I would appreciate it.. Speed? transitions? etc etc etc

Added later: One thing that frustrates me about Dance is that I can't follow the "purple box" nor the protocols... In Pairs and singles I know what 3axel or 3Lift4 means...but in dance I have no idea what the hech "Sqte3+Sqwtxlyw4" or "2TR4+kpyy3" means... and I give up.

Last edited:

deegee

Sorry to talk about them again, but another thing I'm so impressed about with P/C is that most teams' one-foot footwork sections look like those generic sequences we used to have from 2011-2014 when a one-foot sequence was required in SDs/FDs of the SBS or circular step sequences with no real character or relationship to the rest of the choreo or music. However, not only do P/C make theirs look different from most other teams, they add steps that seem full of character, are interpreting the music during it (look at Gabi's face), and their steps seem more difficult than most team's in that section and yet they are still able to get level 3/4 on it on their first outing. I'm noticed a whole lot of level 2s or less for many teams this season during that section.

there was some pro-am waaayyyy back in the day when tracey wilson was waxing poetic about michelle kwan's east of eden exhibition program (i believe this was in 1997 or 98) during a replay of a section where kwan just does a series of spirals where she's just changing edges and directions but manages to maintain speed and amplitude and fully extended positions throughout and wilson says that kwan demonstrates the way that ice skating can feel like flight. i immediately thought of that when i first saw p/c's one foot step sequence in the practice vid that someone posted prior to the fd competition.
**maybe it wasn't tracey wilson now that i think of it.

suki

It’ll have been what, 12 seasons since the Golden Waltz was last used if they keep it until 2022? It’s overdue! I’d love to see it brought back too, it’s my favourite compulsory.

I do hope TPTB don’t look at the hash many teams are making of the Tango Romantica this season and decide not to set the most challenging patterns going forward.
Since Klimova/Ponamerenko and their coach Natalia Dubova developed this compulsory dance, I can't wait to see if Anthony P. can make it as magical as his parents.

VGThuy

there was some pro-am waaayyyy back in the day when tracey wilson was waxing poetic about michelle kwan's east of eden exhibition program (i believe this was in 1997 or 98) during a replay of a section where kwan just does a series of spirals where she's just changing edges and directions but manages to maintain speed and amplitude and fully extended positions throughout and wilson says that kwan demonstrates the way that ice skating can feel like flight. i immediately thought of that when i first saw p/c's one foot step sequence in the practice vid that someone posted prior to the fd competition.
**maybe it wasn't tracey wilson now that i think of it.

It was Sandra Bezic, and she's so right. Kwan and Chan and others are skaters who I can just watch play with their blades. Kwan's real showcase of her bladework has always been in her exhibitions.

Dobre

New additions in bold. (All of the below happened in international competition).

Teams that have earned a YY on the rocker portion of the pattern:
Guignard & Fabbri at Skate America, Lombardia, and the Helsinki GP.
The Parsons at the Asian Open, Lake Placid International, NHK, and Internationaux de France.
McNamara & Carpenter at Skate America, Nepela, Lake Placid International, and the Helsinki GP.
Turkkila & Versluis at Nepela and Minsk-Arena Ice Star.
Tessari & Fioretti at Nepela and Minsk-Arena Ice Star.
Muller & Dieck at Nepela.
Wang & Liu at Autumn Classic and NHK.
Carreira & Ponomarenko at Nebelhorn and Tallinn.
Gilles & Poirier at Nebelhorn.
Kaliszek & Spodyriev at Skate America and Tallinn.
Koch & Nuchtern at the International Halloween Cup.
Moscheni & Fabbri at the Volvo Open.
Stepanova & Bukin at the Helsinki GP.
Zagorski & Guerreiro at NHK.
Skoptcova & Aleshin at NHK and Tallinn.
Evdokimova & Bazin at Rostelecom.
Kerry & Dodds at the Warsaw Cup.

Teams that have earned a Level 4 (YYYY) on the pattern:
McNamara & Carpenter (On both parts at Skate America. Also on the second part at Inge Solar).
Zagorski & Guerreiro (On both parts, the second part at Skate America and Warsaw Cup, the first part at NHK)
Kaliszek & Spodyriev (On both parts, the first part at Tallinn, the second part at the Warsaw Cup).
Wang & Liu (On the first part at the Autumn Classic).
Carreira & Ponomarenko (On the first part at Nebelhorn).
Guignard & Fabbri (On the first part at the Helsinki GP).
Turkkila & Versluis (On the first part at Minsk-Arena Ice Star).
Tessari & Fioretti (On the first part at Minsk-Arena Ice Star).
Koch & Nuchtern (On the first part at the Halloween Cup).
Papadakis & Cizeron (On the second part at Internationaux de France).
Skoptcova & Aleshin (On the second part at Tallinn).

arakwafan2006

When a team is this far in the stratosphere, it’s tacky as hell to nit pick... Jonathan Beyer. Sometimes, i think that people struggle to just let . Go.and.enjoy!

mollymgr

Added later: One thing that frustrates me about Dance is that I can't follow the "purple box" nor the protocols... In Pairs and singles I know what 3axel or 3Lift4 means...but in dance I have no idea what the hech "Sqte3+Sqwtxlyw4" or "2TR4+kpyy3" means... and I give up.

Haha I know, it can get confusing really quickly.

An e.g. would be 2TR3+kpYNYY where the team got level 3 on the second pattern of the tango romantica(TR). KP stands for Key Points and there are four of them for the first pattern and the second pattern. You have to get all 4 correct to get a level 4.

Page 27 explains all the key points.
https://www.isu.org/docman-document...munications/17126-isu-communication-2164/file

Y=“Yes”: meaning, “all Key Point Features are met and all Edges/Steps are held for the required number of beats”, or
T=“Timing”: meaning, “all Key Points Features are met but one or several Edges/Steps are not held for the required number of beats”, or
N=“No”: meaning, “one or several Key Point Features are not met, whether or not Edges/Steps are held for the correct number of beats”.

I'm assuming you are referring to this weird nomenclature- SqTwL3+SqTwM4
It is the sequential twizzles(SqTw) for the lady(L) and the man(M) which are now graded separately. Lady got a level 3 and Man got a Level 4
Not to be confused with SyTw which are synchronized twizzles for the FD.

Here is the scale of values for reference.
https://www.isu.org/docman-document...munications/17140-isu-communication-2167/file

It's like trying to interpret hieroglyphics on an ancient Egyptian pyramid.:wall:

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !

I really LOVE the first half of the program. (Did others here say they preferred the first half too?) I think the reason is that the second half the lyrics go away and its just the music. But that last ending lift/spin is so dang good.

Why do you think Gilles & Poirier aren't getting scores such as theirs. (P.S. no haterzzz please.)

I think their innovation is matched. People think he needs a new partner, or was better with previous. But I think Piper is AMAZE balls!!!!

If you could perhaps break it down for me and let me know what I should be looking at I would appreciate it.. Speed? transitions? etc etc etc

On this outing, the technical elements were just not good enough to get the highest scores. For instance, look at the replay and you'll notice how they travel on their twizzle section plus he doesn't look stable. Then he again butched up a twizzles finishing their step sequence which received level 2 ( l believe we also see it in the replay). They have cool elements, innovative like their lifts but the transitions in and out or in between elements are often not the smoothest. As for speed I can't comment, someone who saw them live could tell us. I understand S/K are very fast, plus it looks like Nikita is finally getting it under control instead of running wild.

chantilly

Agreed above.
I love G and P and do believe they are lowballed on marks especially PCS, but often they lose levels and GOE’s fairly on elements.
They were tight the entire competition in France by their own admission.

chantilly

Having said that I think they have much better material then quite a few teams. They simply have to deliver beyond anything they’ve done in the past

mjb52

I just watched SinKats from IDF and they are looking really good, I have to say (I LOVED I & K so that is really a lot for me). For me, honestly, I prefer their style to P & C. It reminds me of Gordeeva & Grinkov and Mishkutenok & Dimitriev (just as an illustrative example) - I like a more emphatic style no matter how much I recognize the quality of the smoothly perfect types. Of course that can be pretty high risk but I think if S & K keep developing they could pose a real challenge eventually.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I just watched SinKats from IDF and they are looking really good, I have to say (I LOVED I & K so that is really a lot for me). For me, honestly, I prefer their style to P & C. It reminds me of Gordeeva & Grinkov and Mishkutenok & Dimitriev (just as an illustrative example) - I like a more emphatic style no matter how much I recognize the quality of the smoothly perfect types. Of course that can be pretty high risk but I think if S & K keep developing they could pose a real challenge eventually.

I was very pleasantly surprised by SK. I had expected them to fall flat skating after PC. However, once they started skating, it was clear that they are very good skaters indeed, and now very well matched and all around me were very impressed. So whilst not at PC level yet, they are certainly World medal contenders IMO.

I also now have great respect for SK, as it cannot have been easy to keep going with the somewhat humbling results of the last 2 seasons. To keep going and to come back so strong, I take my hat off to them! :respec:
I am so excited to see who will win the SK/SB battle in the final, may the best team win!!
Exciting times for Russian Ice Dance :rockstar:
(so where is @caseyedwards now? With all his prophecies of doom and gloom for Russian Ice dance!)

Eisfee

I was very pleasantly surprised by SK. I had expected them to fall flat skating after PC. However, once they started skating, it was clear that they are very good skaters indeed, and now very well matched and all around me were very impressed. So whilst not at PC level yet, they are certainly World medal contenders IMO.

I also now have great respect for SK, as it cannot have been easy to keep going with the somewhat humbling results of the last 2 seasons. To keep going and to come back so strong, I take my hat off to them! :respec:
I am so excited to see who will win the SK/SB battle in the final, may the best team win!!
Exciting times for Russian Ice Dance :rockstar:
(so where is @caseyedwards now? With all his prophecies of doom and gloom for Russian Ice dance!)
I think I saw you in the audience via TV after S/K finished their FD!😊
Hopefully the Russian dancers can earn 3 spots for Worlds 2020. And Tiffanys and Vikas knee injurys are heeling soon. It still worries me...

taz'smum

I think I saw you in the audience via TV after S/K finished their FD!😊
Hopefully the Russian dancers can earn 3 spots for Worlds 2020. And Tiffanys and Vikas knee injurys are heeling soon. It still worries me...

Yayy, I hope I was looking :glamor::rofl:

Tiff's knee problems began when she was with Zhulin, so it is strange that Vika now too has knee problems in both knees as Tiff has.

Eisfee

Yayy, I hope I was looking :glamor::rofl:

Tiff's knee problems began when she was with Zhulin, so it is strange that Vika now too has knee problems in both knees as Tiff has.
You looked good!!🤗
What they heck is Zhulin doing with the girls that they have to deal with knee injurys, I wonder? Strange that both, Tiff and Vika have the same problems. 🤔

Ka3sha

You looked good!!🤗
What they heck is Zhulin doing with the girls that they have to deal with knee injurys, I wonder? Strange that both, Tiff and Vika have the same problems. 🤔
I assume that in Viktoria's case they tried to improve her basic skating this off-season, 'soften' her knees and make her use them more. In the result her skating has indeed improved, but at the same time it caused an injury as the pressure on her knees and joints increased. I hope they will be able to find the right balance and won't take any additional risks anymore

Eisfee

T
I assume that in Viktoria's case they tried to improve her basic skating this off-season, 'soften' her knees and make her use them more. In the result her skating has indeed improved, but at the same time it caused an injury as the pressure on her knees and joints increased. I hope they will be able to find the right balance and won't take any additional risks anymore
This is really possible.
On one hand we can enjoy Vika's improved skating but she has to pay the price with an injury. That sucks, really!🙁

Katha

Concerning G/P...I mean, they didn't do all they could at their two GPs, what with the mistake at SC and perhaps skating a bit tight in France. But they were also unlucky. When all the top teams started dropping out a few weeks ago, it was observed here on the forums that G/P and SinKats were the only ones who had to go to two very competitive events.

So you can make the argument that G/P may have even performed at least at the same level as some of the teams who made the GPF but were at different, easier events. Their scores are certainly competitive and they did make third place at both their events. So it's not like they skated dreadfully.

NAOTMAA

I don't follow ice dance as much but all the talk about Victoria's knees wasn't it his shoulder injury that took them out last year? Now she's a problem too? :shuffle:

Also did the Russian fed. at least try to get B/S to skate world's last year beyond asking them to please consider? If B/S were there there I'm sure Russia would easily have gotten the 3 spots for this year's world's. That's too bad for whoever gets left home after Euros is over

Ohyes

You could just write "I HATE PIPER" and save yourself a lot of time. :p

I always thought that Crone/Poirier were a snoozefest together (and literally my husband ended up falling asleep during one of their free dances :shuffle: ). Say what you will, but Gilles/Poirier are never boring.
oh wow, you actually like a Canadian skater, what a surprise!

taz'smum

Hawayek/Baker would have gone to the Final anyway if G/P would have been second in France, as first and fourth place has a preference above second and third. It's Zagorski/Guerreiro who now get to go "instead" of them.

I prefer Catherine Papadakis' take on the matter when we met up in Grenoble, she declared that Z/G have taken Gabriella's place in the Final ;)
She is correct, as if P/C had competed in NHK, Z/G would have not been in the final!
So thank you P/C for giving your spot to Z/G :40beers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information