From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Not sure if google translate works properly, but I could find nothing delusional in there :huh:
I didn't read the translation, I read the original.
It is just the same tired narrative about the good old days...I.e that skating is more about jumps today and not about artistry...and she was more about that. And that she skated in an era of true women's skating (eyeroll). I mean, she is no longer competitive, but that's not because she doesn't jump quads.. She can't do watered down technical content, and her programs lack complexity. And to be polite, she was never really an "artist"'.
I agree with you.

To those who read the translation, it is pretty good, but some of the details are subject to interpretation. For example what is translated as "real woman skating" in Russian means more like "real feminine skating". The term "feminine" is not a qualification/criteria in any sports, even artistic ones, like gymnastics or artistic swimming. Leonova then says "15 year olds can not portray Love since they don't have experience in real life"... Well, "portraying love" is also not an athletic criteria, nor the subject of "love/romance" are only programmes choices for a young female skater.

Also, Leonova was never known to be a "balletic" or "feminine" or "romantic" type of skater herself.. :D, and after praising all the "romantic/balletic/feminine qualities", she states her favorite skater is Miki Ando, and her favorite character she skated to was a MAN "Charlie Chaplin".. :lol:.

She is bitter, and trying to dig into current top girls. It is too obvious to even point out..

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
What the hell, I don't visit FSU for one day, and all hell breaks loose. No worries, I'm here to defend my girl! :lol:

I like Leonova, but the year Leonova won a world medal was the year ladies figure skating hit rock bottom.

:mitchell: Sacrilege! It was one of the biggest SP spatfests ever, and Leonova took advantage, absolutely slayed her SP, and landed 6 triples in the LP. There have been many worse skated Worlds over the years.

For example what is translated as "real woman skating" in Russian means more like "real feminine skating". The term "feminine" is not a qualification/criteria in any sports, even artistic ones, like gymnastics or artistic swimming. Leonova then says "15 year olds can not portray Love since they don't have experience in real life"... Well, "portraying love" is also not an athletic criteria, nor the subject of "love/romance" are only programmes choice for a young female skater.

Also, Leonova was never known to be a "balletic" or "feminine" or "romantic" type of skater herself.. :D, and after praising all the "romantic/balletic/feminine qualities", she states her favorite skater is Miki Ando, and her favorite character she skated to was a MAN "Charlie Chaplin".. :lol:.

She is bitter, and trying to dig into current top girls. It is too obvious to even point out..

Oh please. This is a right of passage in Russian ladies skaters; I swear Butyrskaya would give this exact same interview every year from 1998 onwards. :glamor:

Tinami Amori

Oh please. This is a right of passage in Russian ladies skaters; I swear Butyrskaya would give this exact same interview every year from 1998 onwards. :glamor:
No argument here.... That's why some russian posters who read such interviews reacted to Leonova's as "same old, same old..". :lol:

starrynight

I don't think what Leonova said is anything different to what has been said for a long time:

- you used to be able to win with easier jumps.

- ladies skating is now very jump focused

- Eteri has a conveyer belt of young skaters due to a highly competitive training camp

I'd say all of those are facts.

Of course fans (and skaters) can always be nostalgic for the 'good old days'. There's plenty of that in all disciplines (especially men's).

But of course ladies skating is a different factor to other disciplines.

After all, there is little point in becoming attached to junior men, junior dance or junior pairs ... winning junior titles in dance and pairs means very little as there is a universe of difference between the junior and senior fields. But in ladies, the juniors score higher than the seniors. That must speak to something I'm sure.

Tinami Amori

I don't think what Leonova said is anything different to what has been said for a long time:
- Eteri has a conveyer belt of young skaters due to a highly competitive training camp
You said it as "facts"; some say it as "explanations".

She said it as "accusations against others" and "excuses for herself".

muffinplus

Of course fans (and skaters) can always be nostalgic for the 'good old days'. There's plenty of that in all disciplines (especially men's).

But of course ladies skating is a different factor to other disciplines.

After all, there is little point in becoming attached to junior men, junior dance or junior pairs ... winning junior titles in dance and pairs means very little as there is a universe of difference between the junior and senior fields. But in ladies, the juniors score higher than the seniors. That must speak to something I'm sure.

You used to be able to win with empty programs too.

Miyahara and Kostner don't have triple axels or quads, so why are they still able to somewhat competitive if it's all about jumps?

Also ladies skating today has more jumps *and* transitions.

Last edited:

starrynight

Ladies skating will surely go through the same journey that men's skating has in recent years. We will have ladies jumping quads at the upcoming Russian senior nationals and a decent chance of senior ladies jumping quads next season.

We will see the direction the sport will take by the results.

Marco

I am glad Leonova still enjoys skating, but to me she should be glad to have capitalized on winning a world medal during a down year.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Leonova explained in the interview she makes her money with figure skating while coaching and giving master classes. In the past interviews (I think 2-3 years ago) she was saying she didn't know what to do with herself because she doesn't really know how to do anything else.
I think it's a bit sad when a 28y.o woman can't do anything except for clinging to what she used to do since the age of 4 and she is no longer good enough at that.
Am also curious why is it worth for Rukavitsin to keep her - she is not part of the team, so if I understand it right she doesn't bring any funding to the school and unless she pays for the ice time and his time (which I doubt she does) he is wasting the funds brought to the club by the other skaters (Aliev) on Leonova, who has 0 potential (unless, again, he sees a potential in her becoming a good coach and wants her in the team. That would explain)

Cleo1782

Leonova explained in the interview she makes her money with figure skating while coaching and giving master classes. In the past interviews (I think 2-3 years ago) she was saying she didn't know what to do with herself because she doesn't really know how to do anything else.
I think it's a bit sad when a 28y.o woman can't do anything except for clinging to what she used to do since the age of 4 and she is no longer good enough at that.
Am also curious why is it worth for Rukavitsin to keep her - she is not part of the team, so if I understand it right she doesn't bring any funding to the school and unless she pays for the ice time and his time (which I doubt she does) he is wasting the funds brought to the club by the other skaters (Aliev) on Leonova, who has 0 potential (unless, again, he sees a potential in her becoming a good coach and wants her in the team. That would explain)

That's kinda mean. She enjoys skating. A lot of skaters regardless of age are at a loss at what to do with the rest of their lives when they stop skating. I know she isn't a factor now, but she won junior worlds and a world medal. She's not someone that was horrible. I don't consider her a waste of time. Slay Perkova!!!:encore:(even if you don't make it to Nationals...)

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
That's kinda mean. She enjoys skating. A lot of skaters regardless of age are at a loss at what to do with the rest of their lives when they stop skating. I know she isn't a factor now, but she won junior worlds and a world medal. She's not someone that was horrible. I don't consider her a waste of time. Slay Perkova!!!:encore:(even if you don't make it to Nationals...)
It's not kinda mean, it's totally mean. Life is unfair and all that....

zebraswan

Alena's SB score last season was higher than any of the US ladies aside from Bradie and Mirai. If she wants to keep going, who cares? Does it affect your daily life? Is Russia giving her spots over more talented girls? I'm not a big fan, but there is no reason why she should give up something she enjoys if her health is fine and she has the funds to pay for it. There are worse skaters in Rukavitsin's team, like Kirill Sokolov, who is never going anywhere. Is it "sad" to be relatively competitive at the ancient age of 28? I think it's sad to be stuck working in some crappy, banal office job at 28 (or any other age)...she gets to travel, she stays fit, she hangs out with her BF all day. Sounds like a decent life to me.

Last edited:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
In the past interviews (I think 2-3 years ago) she was saying she didn't know what to do with herself because she doesn't really know how to do anything else.
I think it's a bit sad when a 28y.o woman can't do anything except for clinging to what she used to do since the age of 4

I think this is to be expected, and is really just what most people go through when they retire from a lifetime job; it's just accelerated and early, due to the ages that these athletes start the sport. She's been in the sport for 24 years. I've been a nurse for 23 years, and can't imagine doing something different, should this career be taken from me. Ages apart, but the same thing.

soogar

I'm just curious, do Russians/fans feel the same way about Sergei Voronov? Does he receive funds to train or does he have to coach to support himself and his training.

Cleo1782

I'm just curious, do Russians/fans feel the same way about Sergei Voronov? Does he receive funds to train or does he have to coach to support himself and his training.
Voronov still gets GP's so I assume he gets funding. He has a good chance of medaling at Skam. The Russian men's field isn't exactly as deep... Perkova hasn't really had a medal chance in years...BUT I still love her. Even if she doesn't make it to Nationals.

Last edited:

Yehudi

AITA

Most of the Russian skaters have side gigs of some sort. Go on Tulup and you’ll see a lot of current team members such as Stepanova or Rogonov offering private lessons.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
@Kasey , you haven't started being a nurse when you were 4, I assume. Again, am not 100% sure how the clubs funding works in Russia, but if I understand correctly, she IS taking someone's ice time.
@soogar , Voronov is certainly coaching for money. Obviously clueless how the Russian funs feel about it.

Cleo1782

@Kasey , you haven't started being a nurse when you were 4, I assume. Again, am not 100% sure how the clubs funding works in Russia, but if I understand correctly, she IS taking someone's ice time.
@soogar , Voronov is certainly coaching for money. Obviously clueless how the Russian funs feel about it.

Lol! Poor Perk. Now she is unfairly using icetime? C'mon she won a world medal is she really taking away from the poor youth at Rukavitsin's camp? Clearly Eteri gets all the funding, but I don't think Voronov or Leonova are wasting resources. They can skate into their 40's for all I care. If they love it they love it. I don't think Perk thinks she going to be on the 2022 team or maybe she does. #hopedieslast

Tinami Amori

From what i read, Russian fans mostly are very positive about Voronov, many for sentimental reasons and because he is a "good sport", and simply because he just skates, does his best, and does not open his mouth making excuses or complaining about quads or unfair treatment. He also never takes digs at other skaters who are ahead of him.

I think this is to be expected, and is really just what most people go through when they retire from a lifetime job; it's just accelerated and early, due to the ages that these athletes start the sport. She's been in the sport for 24 years. I've been a nurse for 23 years, and can't imagine doing something different, should this career be taken from me. Ages apart, but the same thing.
I would not compare "nursing profession" which is chosen after age of 18 and can last a lifetime, to athletic activities one engages in full time starting in childhood and which are usually curtailed as a person grows/grows up and as sports progress with younger participants (but that's another subject).

For the record, she is consuming resources. Your nursing provides valuable service. Her skating is mostly for her own pleasure.

The discussion which started about Leonova few pages back, is not about her right or desire to continue to skate. That is her right and choice, if she is paying for it or receives some kind of earned funding, and qualifies for various competitions based on standard criteria. The discussion is about her attitude and comments, which she made public and thus should expect "public's reaction".

Or i can say it very short: in the interview she not only sounds soar, but she takes unfair digs at those who are ahead of her on merit, and some of her complaints and comments are oxymora..

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Leonova is the new Fumie Suguri, but with fewer World medals. :p

There I said it. :EVILLE:

Except Leonova is 'only' 28 and didn't Fumie compete into her 40s? Poor Fumie.... (though I was sorta impressed that she attempted a forward outside edge layback, not really by the poor execution, but to even come up with such a clusterF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information