You Go...GOGO - Stephen Gogolev Fan Thread

Emdee

Wunderkind Stephen Gogolev had his first Junior Grand Prix today and acquited himself well. His skating has acquired an ease and flow and his jumps are solid. Patrick has already hailed him as the heir apparent. Those are big shoes to fill and time will tell.

Looking forward to his FS tomorrow,

Emdee

He has unlimbers potential! The only downside is he won't be eligible for the senior competitions until 2020. Dang!!! I can't wait to see how he develops.
I think that is what is most interesting. A couple of years I saw him as a jumping bean but working with the Orser Team including Zavier and Hanyu have given him a maturity in advance of his years.

Last edited:

barbarafan

He has unlimbers potential! The only downside is he won't be eligible for the senior competitions until 2020. Dang!!! I can't wait to see how he develops.

Let him have time to finish growing ...Right now he trains hard but only limited training as far as jumping is concerned. He is stuck in the middle and so far has been able to keep all his jumps...Skating around a rink and then doing a jump is a lot different than doing multiples with split second timing in a program. Fingers so crossed all is well

screech

Is Stephen now the first Canadian man to land a 4lz in competition? Also, is he the first Canadian to land three different quads in competition? At thirteen flipping years old!!

Not a perfect skate, but though the list hasn't been updated yet, according to wikipedia, he now has the 15th highest ever overall score in junior men, and the 12 highest SP score. All from his first competition!

ETA - I like his LP shirt with the fingerprint

Not completely out of the realm of possibility that we'll have someone barely old enough to compete in juniors as the national senior champion this year

coppertop1

Let him have time to finish growing ...Right now he trains hard but only limited training as far as jumping is concerned. He is stuck in the middle and so far has been able to keep all his jumps...Skating around a rink and then doing a jump is a lot different than doing multiples with split second timing in a program. Fingers so crossed all is well

He looks like he's grown and filled out since Canadians. He has good skating skills and it bodes well from him.

barbarafan

He looks like he's grown and filled out since Canadians. He has good skating skills and it bodes well from him.

Growing all the time..Kudos to his team for limiting his jumping when necessary.....gold medals do not bring back your health once you have lost it. It will be hit or miss for a while until he is done growing....he seems to be well adjusted and not giving in to frustration. He hates making mistakes but his time to go all out will come in time. So happy he had today to shine.At least his speed and power is multiplying with the growth.

sk8girl

I wondered if he might feel some pressure, *finally* on the jgp after all these years and leading after the short program. But BAM he goes out there and nails that 4Lz (and the next two quads)!!! Awesome! Go Stephen! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Erin

Banned Member
Is Stephen now the first Canadian man to land a 4lz in competition? Also, is he the first Canadian to land three different quads in competition? At thirteen flipping years old!!

Definitely yes on the first question - Skate Canada mentioned it in their article on his win. I am pretty sure itā€™s also a yes on the second. The only other Canadian I can think of who even attempted three different quads is Kevin Reynolds but he was never successful on the quad loop.

Last edited:

coppertop1

Growing all the time..Kudos to his team for limiting his jumping when necessary.....gold medals do not bring back your health once you have lost it. It will be hit or miss for a while until he is done growing....he seems to be well adjusted and not giving in to frustration. He hates making mistakes but his time to go all out will come in time. So happy he had today to shine.At least his speed and power is multiplying with the growth.

He has a bright future and there's no need to rush it. Keep him healthy and give him time to develop. If he can keep it up, he will be a force. Only thirteen and he already has three quads. I'm already blown away.

Sylvia

TBD
Out of curiosity, I did a quick search in the FSU Archives and it appears Gogolev's name first popped up here on FSU in a post by @puglover on March 2, 2015 (he was 10 years old at the time and already was landing 3A in practice):
I loved watching the Prenovice/Novice athletes at the recent Canada Winter Games. One little fire ball was the winner of pre novice mens - Stephen Gogolev. He was one of the smallest competitors, I don't know how old he is, but in his short he landed 2A-3T, 3S, 2A and in his long he did 3T-3T, 3L (under rotated), 3S-2T, 3S, 2A, 2A-2R. He is a great little performer as well. He was there with the Ontario team coaches - but I thought they said he is currently coached by Brian Orser.
Beverley Smith's article on Gogolev last summer: https://bevsmithwrites.com/run-boy-run/

Last edited:

kalamalka

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search in the FSU Archives and it appears Gogolev's name first popped up here on FSU in a post by @puglover on March 2, 2015 (he was 10 years old at the time and already was landing 3A in practice):
Beverley Smith's article on Gogolev last summer: https://bevsmithwrites.com/run-boy-run/

I posted about Gogolev a few months earlier, after I'd seen him at Challenge (just before his 10th birthday) , so may have been the first.
A late comment on an earlier event - Stephen Gogolev won pre-novice men by over 20 points - scored 43 in the short, 75 in the free. He skates for the Cricket Club, and had both Brian Orser and Lee Barkell with him. The free skate included an almost-landed triple lutz (rotated, landed low, then fell), plus 3s/2t, 3t, 3s, and both 2a/2t and 2a/2l. All non-jump elements in both short and free were level 3 or 4. According to a Bev Smith article about Thornhill last summer, he is/was only 9. I think this is the free skate link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_7MnPdVXZNA

jlmart

That competition was when I first noticed him. Then he simply marched up the levels as national champion - a new one each year. In 2016 he was Junior champ and Brian took him to the Advanced Novice competitions in Europe -which he also won. I know there was some criticism when he competed as a senior domestically last year but Brian said he wanted Steven to learn how to deal with not winning.

mysticchic

If he can stay healthy, he could rule the world. I saw him at DSC in 15 and he was good then. He and 0rser have a wonderful relationship

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information