2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Rock2

Dear Gabby:

You're gorgeous. You're a star. You're a strong, feminine athlete. You're Olympic gold potential.
Je love you.

Still, you insist on working so hard to bore me. Yes, your dresses are stunning even though your dress maker only has 3 colours of material. You chose warhorses both with french vocals which makes your short and long start to blend together. Your choreo is quality although run of the mill. You thought somehow it was a great idea to copy Joannie's EXACT SAME closing move in 2010 from the same music.

Oh how I dream for so much more for you. You're exotic and dynamic. You could leave everyone in your dust if you unleashed the full power of your potential.

Despite it all, I wish you well. I hope your path takes you to where you want to go. Pardon me if I choose not to follow along as closely.

Rock2

When she did 3S+2A wasn't that counted as a sequence and not a combo, and thus only 80% of the value or something?

Ya I guess we're both a bit off. Not 'zero' change but definitely not 'much more ambitious'. She might have added 2 pts to her base.

Planning 3Z/3T I think is more of a perception strategy than a TES play. She needs to be seen as elite and I think to do that you need high value combo.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Interesting to note that Michelle Long will overtake Alicia Pineault for first place in the summer series. And Pineault already got her international assignment so I wonder if they will give one to Long too despite the rather underwhelming skates. Both beat the 150 benchmark score in both events.

honey

Ya I guess we're both a bit off. Not 'zero' change but definitely not 'much more ambitious'. She might have added 2 pts to her base.

Planning 3Z/3T I think is more of a perception strategy than a TES play. She needs to be seen as elite and I think to do that you need high value combo.

I agree with you it's more just a perception thing than actual TES strategy (and I'm not the one who said it was "much more ambitious", that was someone else :p). I think this set up will be interesting to see how it goes. In the past we've seen nice 3Z+3Ts in practice, but she hasn't had one ratified in competition since 2014 nationals. Usually the pitching forward on the lutz leads to an under on the toe. If she's worked that out, then I'm all for her trying to harder combo. But at some point I'm sure they'll do an analysis on her money +5 combo of 3T+3T and see whether the 3Z+3T is worth it in either program.

Rock2

I agree with you it's more just a perception thing than actual TES strategy (and I'm not the one who said it was "much more ambitious", that was someone else :p).

OMG my apologies!! toggling back and forth watching summer skates..... smh

million$momma

On the junior scene, two of the girls at the GTSA landed 3-3 combinations -- in Amelia Orzel's case, her second 3T got marked < (Shin Amano was one of the tech callers), but Catherine Carle got positive GOE for a 3S+3T.

I hope Amelia keeps improving the tech.
Interesting side note - Catherine's little sister Audley did a 2A-3T in the Pre-Novice competition.

coppertop1

Dear Gabby:

You're gorgeous. You're a star. You're a strong, feminine athlete. You're Olympic gold potential.
Je love you.

Still, you insist on working so hard to bore me. Yes, your dresses are stunning even though your dress maker only has 3 colours of material. You chose warhorses both with french vocals which makes your short and long start to blend together. Your choreo is quality although run of the mill. You thought somehow it was a great idea to copy Joannie's EXACT SAME closing move in 2010 from the same music.

Oh how I dream for so much more for you. You're exotic and dynamic. You could leave everyone in your dust if you unleashed the full power of your potential.

Despite it all, I wish you well. I hope your path takes you to where you want to go. Pardon me if I choose not to follow along as closely.

I would like to see Gabby branch out with different choreographers. Someone who can capitalize on her strengths. Lori Nichol seems very traditional (which is odd, she had great music choices for Kwan and S/P. Did she run out of ideas?). Gabby is not an Ice Princess.

As far as our other women, I will reserve judgment until the Grand Prix season begins. I hope Alaine comes out fighting. I think Aurora has potential and I would like to see her go to a Senior B.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
A few years ago I preferred a strong Daleman but now as she has matured I think I would like her to try a different sort of choreo that is softer. She gives a hint of her artistic growth in the first half of her long IMHO. Also softer make up and not as harsh she is a beautiful woman.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I see why Cotop has fans: she has wonderful spring and rhythm in her jumps. She had a rough outing in her BC Summer Skate FS, although she hasn't been with Walia long, and she's likely in the midst of retooling things with him.

Daleman linked to photos of herself in social media, and either she's using filters to change her look, or she's going for light highlights. I thought that looked harsh, but she looked happy.

nadioso

Interesting side note - Catherine's little sister Audley did a 2A-3T in the Pre-Novice competition.

Congrats to Audley. Her 115.33 total score is a new Canadian record for pre-novice ladies . Melody Zhu scored 109.32 at the pre-novice challenge last year.

BTW. In her long ( and her short as well ) all the 3Ts were the second jumps of combos Very impressive indeed.

Too bad her group was not livestreamed as she was in rink 3. Will look our for her

binbinwinwin

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities between Gabby's new FS and Joannie's program from a few seasons ago. Lori did the choreography for Joannie and I'm going to guess Lori did this one too. I wish Gabby's programs were a bit more inspired.

dramagrrl

I'm so off that train.

In fact, I can only take KO, Gabby, Aurora, Larkyn and Alaine seriously. And those last two are hanging by a thread in terms of my interest but I'm keeping an open mind as best I can. Aurora gets a couple of years of working on her craft with Ravi before I net out somewhere.

As for all the rest, they've all lost me. Go skate a 120 pt LP program somewhere -- anywhere -- and I'll raise an eyebrow.
You're more patient than I am, then. I gave up on Alaine ages ago and have little hope for Larkyn.

I personally really dislike when dark-haired girls try to go very blonde, but I guess whatever makes Gabby happy.

Rock2

You're more patient than I am, then. I gave up on Alaine ages ago and have little hope for Larkyn.

I personally really dislike when dark-haired girls try to go very blonde, but I guess whatever makes Gabby happy.

(I'm not really all that patient...just trying to be nice. I must admit, it's terribly difficult, not to mention unnatural)

Rock2

I see why Cotop has fans: she has wonderful spring and rhythm in her jumps. She had a rough outing in her BC Summer Skate FS, although she hasn't been with Walia long, and she's likely in the midst of retooling things with him.

She's perhaps the only Canadian lady I can bother with in junior or senior not named Kaetlyn or Gabby.

I don't know her work ethic. The coaching move to me signals ambition at least. Speaking with legit skating folk, I'm told it's reasonable to expect to see SS improvement by nationals and Ravi's impact on jumps by this time next year. I'm happy to give her that time.

dramagrrl

(I'm not really all that patient...just trying to be nice. I must admit, it's terribly difficult, not to mention unnatural)
Hahaha. If I'd had any patience left for Alaine, watching her disastrous skates live at Canadians in Vancouver would have killed whatever was left, but I was already done with her by then, so it wasn't a disappointment or a surprise. :p

ChiquitaBanana

Interesting to note that Michelle Long will overtake Alicia Pineault for first place in the summer series. And Pineault already got her international assignment so I wonder if they will give one to Long too despite the rather underwhelming skates. Both beat the 150 benchmark score in both events.
Michelle Long landed one clean triple in her FS on two attempted... 🧐 and we are :mitchell: for an international assignment?

mag

Michelle Long landed one clean triple in her FS on two attempted... 🧐 and we are :mitchell: for an international assignment?

At this point I would just be happy with a senior lady with decent program who looked like she had been working hard all summer and who at least looked a bit pissed off with herself when she doesn’t skate well. (Oh, and a judging panel that isn’t throwing positive GOE on very average triples.)

binbinwinwin

She's perhaps the only Canadian lady I can bother with in junior or senior not named Kaetlyn or Gabby.

I don't know her work ethic. The coaching move to me signals ambition at least. Speaking with legit skating folk, I'm told it's reasonable to expect to see SS improvement by nationals and Ravi's impact on jumps by this time next year. I'm happy to give her that time.

She is a sweet, hardworking girl, she was outgrowing her current club and needed to be "taken to the next level" so the move made sense. She liked Ravi a lot when she worked with him last year so people all around are supportive. Her making the National team and the extra funding helped the decision I believe.

screech

Canada always seems to go through highs and lows in ladies. The field will be incredibly competitive, and then lag. Or there'll be just one star and a few skaters not there yet.
We've been spoiled the last 5 years or so with having actual competition at the top at nationals, let alone two ladies who are among the absolute best in the world.
Unfortunately, it seems like we're heading in to another lag. But then there'll be some young whippersnapper who will come from nowhere and take the national stage (and possibly world stage) by storm. It'll happen soon enough.

barbarafan

Canada always seems to go through highs and lows in ladies. The field will be incredibly competitive, and then lag. Or there'll be just one star and a few skaters not there yet.
We've been spoiled the last 5 years or so with having actual competition at the top at nationals, let alone two ladies who are among the absolute best in the world.
Unfortunately, it seems like we're heading in to another lag. But then there'll be some young whippersnapper who will come from nowhere and take the national stage (and possibly world stage) by storm. It'll happen soon enough.

Or Skate Canada will send a broader range out to competitions so what is happening in their rinks happen in regional national and international competitions. Skate Canada also needs to hold seminars with top coaches and pay for at least the top 25 girls to attend.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Hey its summer folks, who wants to peak in August. The time is ripe to try new programs, approaches, and for some, coaches. For now, I would give some the benefit and see how it goes in a month or so.

Exactly, and it's the first year after an Olympics so a lot of people worked REALLY hard last year....including those who didn't go to Worlds or Olympics. Everyone is recovering and regrouping, so cut them some slack already.

And @screech is right - every country, not just Canada, goes through good times and not-so-good times in terms of how many skaters (in any discipline) are likely to do well nationally or internationally. Plus, these skaters are people. They have good days, they have bad days, they have other things going on in their lives beyond what we see on the ice. They can't be perfect all the time, just like we can't. The "ERMAHGAWD she didn't fully rotate her triple fire her coach and send her to a national training camp" reaction at early days in the competitive year is not helpful.

Last edited:

Dobre

Everyone is recovering and regrouping, so cut them some slack already.

I agree that many athletes are recovering & regrouping and that they have earned the right to a rest; however, I disagree that everyone is doing so. There are always athletes that work very hard during the post-Olympic year off season, getting ready for all the opportunities that exist during the following year. Athletes--very often those out of the spotlight--who will show up ready to make a big push to climb the international rankings.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I agree that many athletes are recovering & regrouping and that they have earned the right to a rest; however, I disagree that everyone is doing so. There are always athletes that work very hard during the post-Olympic year off season, getting ready for all the opportunities that exist during the following year. Athletes--very often those out of the spotlight--who will show up ready to make a big push to climb the international rankings.

"Recovering and regrouping" doesn't mean lying on a beach with a nice cold margarita. Athletes can be recovering and regrouping while still working hard to be competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information