The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

Posted this on the 2018/19 dance tech rules thread but relevant also here:

Skimming through this video is sort of surreal considering they are judging past performances. Nice to know that no matter how many positive features an ice dance team collects, if there is one negative feature there is no way a team should be given a +4 or a +5.

Dobre

Ice Dance Drama Post-Olympics 2018 Update
(This is getting very long so I've put new changes/additions in bold or in the “Note” at the bottom of this post).

New Teams:
Galayavieva & Thauron (with Krylova)
Abachkina & Shchepytov (Rumored to be competing in juniors for France)
Konkina & Vakhnov (Training with Liapina)
Wagret & Souquet
Chen & Sun
Stairs & Graham
Orihara & Royer
Alicia Fabbri & Ayer
Galiyanova & Lochhead
McIsaac & Circelli

Splits:
Loboda & Drozd
Lorenz & Polizoakis (She retired. He is on IPS).
Abachkina & Thauron
Pogrebinsky & Benoit (He retired. She is on IPS).
Polishchuk & Vakhnov.
Biechler & Dodge
Konkina & Yakushev
Garabedian & Proulx-Senecal (She is on IPS)
Lopareva & Karpushov (He is on IPS)
Chen & Zhao
Song & Sun
Stairs & Royer
Fabbri & Pietrantonio (He is on IPS)
Wagret & Couryas (He was on IPS. He is off it now).
Damuleviciute & Kizala
Galiyanova & Tang
Han & Lochhead
McIsaac & Graham
Taileffer & Chan (He is on IPS)
Giglava & Yegorov (He is on IPS)
Morrison & Rokachev (She is on IPS)
Broker & Thayalan (Both are on IPS)

Retirements:
Agafanova & Ucar
Mysliveckova & Csolley
Robledo & Fenero

Not Competing the 2018-2019 Season:
Shibutanis

Not Competing the GP for 2018-2019:
Weaver & Poje (They plan to be back for Nationals)
Cappellini & Lanotte
Bobrova & Soloviev
Coomes & Buckland

Coaching News:
Krylova is coaching in Russia.
Camerlengo working with Shpilband. Also will be working with Krylova during the summer.
Chock & Bates going to Montreal.
Hawayek & Baker going to Montreal.
Popova & Mozgov moved to Krylova.
Greg Zuerlein moved to Wheaton.
Komatsubara & Koleto moved to Montreal.
Maxim Stavisky is working with Krylova & Volkov.
Mueller & Dieck going to Gorshkov (Sounds like for their part-time training base outside of Germany)
Schwendinger & Wunderlich moved to Fusar-Poli
Plutowska & Flemin moved to Montreal.

Other News:
Carreira & Ponomarenko are moving up to seniors.
Lajoie & Lagha are staying in juniors, at least for the beginning of the season.

Note:
-Mysliveckova & Csolley off the split list & onto the retirement list
—based on the recent update in the OES thread.
-Mansourova & Ceska are listed for the GP so they are off the split list.
-Garabedian & Proulx-Senecal are also listed for the GP, but she is still up on IPS so I have left them on the split list pending further news.
(This is so worthy of “ice dance drama.”)
-Not adding this to the list as there’s nothing official; but Sales & Wamsteeker’s selection for the host spot at SC seems to imply that Arnold & Williams are a ?, at least for the start of the season.

rinkside

Kizala is now in Novi teamed up with Mira Polishook. This is her first partnership and they will be skating junior. Mansour and Ceska are not together.

Dobre

Mansour and Ceska are not together.

:drama:

It's possible that could put Shpilevaya & Smirnov on the replacement list.
-If the list can be adjusted after GP assignments are completed.
-And if both the Czechs & the Armenians are done.
-And if Arnold & Williams are out for the GP as well.

mysticchic

:drama:

It's possible that could put Shpilevaya & Smirnov on the replacement list.
-If the list can be adjusted after GP assignments are completed.
-And if both the Czechs & the Armenians are done.
-And if Arnold & Williams are out for the GP as well.
a lot of IFs

barbarafan

Ice Dance Drama Post-Olympics 2018 Update
(This is getting very long so I've put new changes/additions in bold or in the “Note” at the bottom of this post).

New Teams:
Galayavieva & Thauron (with Krylova)
Abachkina & Shchepytov (Rumored to be competing in juniors for France)
Konkina & Vakhnov (Training with Liapina)
Wagret & Souquet
Chen & Sun
Stairs & Graham
Orihara & Royer
Alicia Fabbri & Ayer
Galiyanova & Lochhead
McIsaac & Circelli

Splits:
Loboda & Drozd
Lorenz & Polizoakis (She retired. He is on IPS).
Abachkina & Thauron
Pogrebinsky & Benoit (He retired. She is on IPS).
Polishchuk & Vakhnov.
Biechler & Dodge
Konkina & Yakushev
Garabedian & Proulx-Senecal (She is on IPS)
Lopareva & Karpushov (He is on IPS)
Chen & Zhao
Song & Sun
Stairs & Royer
Fabbri & Pietrantonio (He is on IPS)
Wagret & Couryas (He was on IPS. He is off it now).
Damuleviciute & Kizala
Galiyanova & Tang
Han & Lochhead
McIsaac & Graham
Taileffer & Chan (He is on IPS)
Giglava & Yegorov (He is on IPS)
Morrison & Rokachev (She is on IPS)
Broker & Thayalan (Both are on IPS)

Retirements:
Agafanova & Ucar
Mysliveckova & Csolley
Robledo & Fenero

Not Competing the 2018-2019 Season:
Shibutanis

Not Competing the GP for 2018-2019:
Weaver & Poje (They plan to be back for Nationals)
Cappellini & Lanotte
Bobrova & Soloviev
Coomes & Buckland

Coaching News:
Krylova is coaching in Russia.
Camerlengo working with Shpilband. Also will be working with Krylova during the summer.
Chock & Bates going to Montreal.
Hawayek & Baker going to Montreal.
Popova & Mozgov moved to Krylova.
Greg Zuerlein moved to Wheaton.
Komatsubara & Koleto moved to Montreal.
Maxim Stavisky is working with Krylova & Volkov.
Mueller & Dieck going to Gorshkov (Sounds like for their part-time training base outside of Germany)
Schwendinger & Wunderlich moved to Fusar-Poli
Plutowska & Flemin moved to Montreal.

Other News:
Carreira & Ponomarenko are moving up to seniors.
Lajoie & Lagha are staying in juniors, at least for the beginning of the season.

Note:
-Mysliveckova & Csolley off the split list & onto the retirement list
—based on the recent update in the OES thread.
-Mansourova & Ceska are listed for the GP so they are off the split list.
-Garabedian & Proulx-Senecal are also listed for the GP, but she is still up on IPS so I have left them on the split list pending further news.
(This is so worthy of “ice dance drama.”)
-Not adding this to the list as there’s nothing official; but Sales & Wamsteeker’s selection for the host spot at SC seems to imply that Arnold & Williams are a ?, at least for the start of the season.

Who are Plutowska & Flemin?

barbarafan

Dobre

Who are Plutowska & Flemin?

They were the second team from Poland last season. They finished 21st at Europeans, just missing the FD there last year. Kaliszek & Spodyriev finished tenth. EDIT: If everyone who misses the FD cut gets 18 points, then Poland comes away with 28, and I believe they have two spots again for this coming season.

Kaliszek & Spodyriev are doing pretty well. They were in 13th at Worlds this year after the SD. If they could have stayed there, Poland would have had two spots at Worlds. If P&F want to go, they need to be ready to hold the spot. Or pass K&S, which seems likely to be a much tougher goal at the moment.

Last edited:

barbarafan

They were the second team from Poland last season. They finished 21st at Europeans, just missing the FD there last year. Kaliszek & Spodyriev finished tenth. EDIT: If everyone who misses the FD cut gets 18 points, then Poland comes away with 28, and I believe they have two spots again for this coming season.

Kaliszek & Spodyriev are doing pretty well. They were in 13th at Worlds this year after the SD. If they could have stayed there, Poland would have had two spots at Worlds. If P&F want to go, they need to be ready to hold the spot. Or pass K&S, which seems likely to be a much tougher goal at the moment.

This is so exciting. I hope they grow to love Mtl. Being away from family is so hard.

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
One thing I will be interested to see this year if this is the year of Hawayek & Baker to make a big move. They have been bubbling under the pot for awhile, but the way they ended last season must have given them a surge in confidence. I also think the coaching change is good for them, as it is a good fit for them. I hope to see some great things from them on the grand prix this season.

I am also very curious to see how Fournier Beaudry and Sorensen fare competing for Canada. I hope the risky and bold move pays off for them, but they are sure entering a super competitive country for dance, even with the retirement of the great Virtue & Moir. I have liked them awhile, and they seem like incredibly nice people, so I hope it works out for them.

Ka3sha

More ice dancers announced their music for the new season

Sneak peek of Marie-Jade Lauriault/ Romain Le Gac’s RD
https://ig.me/1TCFgAomGmvfJBv

Sara Hurtado/Kirill Khaliavin
RD: Libertango + something else
FD: Great Gig in the Sky; by Pink Floyd, Sign of the times; by Harry Styles

Viktoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov
FD: Air, Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major; by Johann Sebastian Bach + something else

From Russian boards (main source: Pirouette magazine)

It was also mentioned that Popova/Mozgov dances were choreographed by Denkova/Staviski

blancanieves

One thing I will be interested to see this year if this is the year of Hawayek & Baker to make a big move.

There's certainly plenty of room to move up. If Chock/Bates are somehow slowed down by Madison's recovery, I expect USFS will be very eager to push H/B as a strong U.S. number two. They're more experienced than the WISA teams. Also, after having three top 5 teams for a couple of seasons, the federation probably wants to get as close to that as possible this year.

IloveFS

There's certainly plenty of room to move up. If Chock/Bates are somehow slowed down by Madison's recovery, I expect USFS will be very eager to push H/B as a strong U.S. number two. They're more experienced than the WISA teams. Also, after having three top 5 teams for a couple of seasons, the federation probably wants to get as close to that as possible this year.
I would like to see C/B retire. I don't think they have more to offer the sport and the young American ice dance teams show lots of promise!

SamuraiK

Skimming through this video is sort of surreal considering they are judging past performances. Nice to know that no matter how many positive features an ice dance team collects, if there is one negative feature there is no way a team should be given a +4 or a +5.

In theory but I wouldnt hold my breath waiting on judges applying correctly. For instance, in the example they used of V&M's Roxanne FD twizzles despite the negative feature (too far apart), I would bet money judges would still shower them with +4+5.

VGThuy

In theory but I wouldnt hold my breath waiting on judges applying correctly. For instance, in the example they used of V&M's Roxanne FD twizzles despite the negative feature (too far apart), I would bet money judges would still shower them with +4+5.

True that. But at least something way too visible would not get a +4 or +5...oh who am I kidding? Of course it would depending on the team and how much the judges want them to win.

sap5

I don't know how I feel about this, actually. I feel like it might result in many teams doing the minimum in order to ensure that every feature is consistent, and perhaps using the same twizzles over and over again.

VGThuy

I don't know how I feel about this, actually. I feel like it might result in many teams doing the minimum in order to ensure that every feature is consistent, and perhaps using the same twizzles over and over again.

True, but teams sort of are doing the same twizzles now with some exceptions. I am just tired of certain chosen teams who had iffy twizzles at times still garner lots of +3s and +2s and getting similar scores to other teams who performed their sequence better.

SamuraiK

I also dont like that there are now separate points for each partner's twizzles. The mistakes on the twizzles, while very unfortunate when they did happen, was one of the very few things that could objectively separate frontrunner or equal teams scores wihout much discussion. Sure it sucks if you miss a medal because your partner messed up his/her twizzle but that's sport. You don't see pairs complaining about getting the lesser value of the jump landed by the partener who made mistakes. This new rule is diluding that impact.

Last edited:

lauravvv

They did not look too far apart in the second half of the season, including the Olympics. But maybe it was just the angle, and you saw those twizzles from a different angle (live or on a fan video etc.) where it was visible that they were actually too far apart? In any case, I don't think they were that far apart that it could qualify as a negative feature, more like they could have been not close enough for it to qualify as a positive feature (not qualifying as a positive feature does not mean that it's so bad that it would automatically qualify as a negative feature). Although, I don't remember which performance the ISU representatives used as an example - was it the Olympic one (where the twizzles seemed to be quite close with pretty much the same distance between V and M throughout) or another performance from the first half of the season when they indeed were further apart a couple of times?

kittysk8ts

They did not look too far apart in the second half of the season, including the Olympics. But maybe it was just the angle, and you saw those twizzles from a different angle (live or on a fan video etc.) where it was visible that they were actually too far apart? In any case, I don't think they were that far apart that it could qualify as a negative feature, more like they could have been not close enough for it to qualify as a positive feature (not qualifying as a positive feature does not mean that it's so bad that it would automatically qualify as a negative feature). Although, I don't remember which performance the ISU representatives used as an example - was it the Olympic one (where the twizzles seemed to be quite close with pretty much the same distance between V and M throughout) or another performance from the first half of the season when they indeed were further apart a couple of times?
The rule is within 2 arms lengths I think? So, they should be able to touch finger tips with outstretched arms. In the video they used, it does in fact appear they were too far apart. Just my (reluctant) opinion.

SamuraiK

Being more than 2 arms apart is considered a negative feature in the new rules so it's not a case of not good enough for positive. V&M always twizzled far from each other in that FD, sure some better than the others but that was notorious in every performance. The video they used was from the Olympics and it was still obvious to me it was too far apart.

Anyways, your argument is precisely what will cause this +5 GOE rule, while well intented , fall into too much grey area. Some could say : "That's a negative feature" and others "I dont think so" and then boom +5 gifts for everyone .

lauravvv

The rule is within 2 arms lengths I think? So, they should be able to touch finger tips with outstretched arms. In the video they used, it does in fact appear they were too far apart. Just my (reluctant) opinion.
Being more than 2 arms apart is considered a negative feature in the new rules so it's not a case of not good enough for positive. V&M always twizzled far from each other in that FD, sure some better than the others but that was notorious in every performance. The video they used was from the Olympics and it was still obvious to me it was too far apart.
I did not know (or forgot) about the 2 arms length rule. I rewatched V/M's twizzles from their Olympic FD, and, from the angle at which they showed it, it seems that they were close enough during the first two sets, but may have drifted a bit too far apart during the third set. So, if it's in the rule (or if you interpret it to be) that skaters being further apart than 2 arms length during one of the sets already qualifies as a negative feature, then, sure, V/M's twizzles should not receive a +5, even though they were very well executed otherwise. +4 would be enough.

SamuraiK

I did not know (or forgot) about the 2 arms length rule. I rewatched V/M's twizzles from their Olympic FD, and, from the angle at which they showed it, it seems that they were close enough during the first two sets, but may have drifted a bit too far apart during the third set. So, if it's in the rule (or if you interpret it to be) that skaters being further apart than 2 arms length during one of the sets already qualifies as a negative feature, then, sure, V/M's twizzles should not receive a +5, even though they were very well executed otherwise. +4 would be enough.

If there's at least one negative feature you can not receive higher than +3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information