Two of China's 2018 figure skating events will be moved: JGP #4 now in Vancouver; Grand Prix to Finland (confirmed)

Marco

I don't believe there is a rule that says a country can't host twice? I am thinking another GP event in Japan makes more sense. They have plenty of rinks there many of which would have already had the experience of hosting GPs / 4CCs / Worlds or even the Olympics.

nimi

Grand Prix will be in Finland according to skate Canada's assignments page.
Nice!

I'm a bit surprised but I guess I shouldn't be. The local organizers have a lot of experience doing the Finlandia Trophy and a lot of those people were involved in making the Helsinki Worlds happen, too (which IIRC was a financially successful event so there should be some extra money to put into an endeavor like this).

ETA: Yuzu is coming to Finland so for that reason alone (and barring some unexpected development) it's pretty safe to say the ticket sales are going to be fine this time around, too :lol:
https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/1012412978690514945

Last edited:

Carolla5501

So in other words, panic in the ISU over where the GP will be held has now been averted. And China got what out of this? A handful of fans on a message board heard that "maybe" China pitched a fit and cancelled their event. Effective protesting?

(ISU is probably happy. I think they will have more fans attend in Finland!)

Vagabond

*FINLAND*, Nov. 2-4, 2018, Helsinki, FIN
MEN: Hanyu JPN, Jin CHN, TBD FIN, J. Hendrickx BEL, Brezina CZE, Phillip Harris GBR, Bychenko ISR, Tanaka JPN, Alexey Erokhov RUS, Kolyada RUS, Lazukin RUS, Alex Krasnozhon USA
LADIES: Zagitova RUS, Kostner ITA, L. Hendrickx BEL, TBD FIN, Schott GER, Hongo JPN, Sakamoto JPN, Shiraiwa JPN, Stanislava Konstantinova RUS, Panenkova RUS, Rajicova SVK, K. Chen USA
PAIRS: Sui/Han CHN, Ziegler/Kiefer AUT, Seguin/Bilodeau CAN, Ryom/Kim PRK, TBD FIN, Della Monica/Guarise ITA, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin RUS, Zabiiako/Enbert RUS
DANCE: Mansourova/Ceska CZE, Torn/Partanen FIN, TBD FIN, Guignard/Fabbri ITA, Popova/Mozgov RUS, Stepanova/Bukin RUS, Hurtado/Khaliavin ESP, Carreira/Ponomarenko USA, Chock/Bates USA, McNamara/Carpenter USA

And China got what out of this?

Two fewer Men's spots, three fewer Ladies spots (though China used only two host spots last season), two fewer Pairs spots, and three fewer Ice Dance spots, that's what. :COP:

That should make certain posters in this thread happy. ;)

Kateri

void beast
I'm seriously considering heading to Helsinki. I've not been to a GP event since Paris in 2004! (Worlds is out of my budget!)

Madhatter

Two fewer Men's spots, three fewer Ladies spots (though China used only two host spots last season), two fewer Pairs spots, and three fewer Ice Dance spots, that's what. :COP:

That should make certain posters in this thread happy. ;)
Actually, it does make me happy. Finland uses up fewer host picks, should be a higher level competition that CoC. I still think China was protesting, but yeah, looks like ISU came on top in this battle.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm not really sure where to put this, but I've decided here.

I just wanted to say that the JGP in Richmond, which was put together in a very short period of time, was one of the best figure skating events I've ever been to. From a spectator standpoint, it was well-organized and chill: the organizers and volunteers kept an eye out for everything, but they used a very light touch in keeping things in order and moving. It was a pleasure to be treated as an adult and being welcomed into their club/family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information