Michelle Kwan (Threads Merged)

Sylvia

TBD
Michelle skating the first part of a program she choreographed with Karen.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeWZc68jlqg/

"For more than a decade people have asked me if I miss skating - and, without a doubt, I really do! I might not skate often or plan on performing live, but skating is always in my heart wherever I go. I’m so thankful for all the people who have cheered me on throughout the years and your Instagram comments have inspired my sis @karenkwanoppegard and me to put together a program just for you because you’re a “Beautiful Thing” ❤️ @gracevanderwaal
Part 1."
Part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeYlNuWjDtP/?taken-by=michellewkwan

Part 3: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeY_qVfDaU0/?taken-by=michellewkwan

:)

DreamSkates

Angry Asian Man had a write up about how 50% of our Olympic team is Asian-American, and I can't help but think this really is Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi's legacy right here. In fact, all of the skaters named them as role models and inspiration. Of course, that's not limited to Asian-American skaters.
Is there something ethically wrong with 50% Asian-American since they earned the privilege, so was he suggesting some kind of equal opportunity, and what would that look like? We don't have enough Olympic spots for all the diversity we have in the US.

VGThuy

Is there something ethically wrong with 50% Asian-American since they earned the privilege, so was he suggesting some kind of equal opportunity, and what would that look like? We don't have enough Olympic spots for all the diversity we have in the US.

I don't understand the question. Angry Asian Man is a blog dedicated to writing about Asian-American issues and celebrating Asian-American achievements.

gk_891

I also don't understand what you're asking. I'm not familiar with Angry Asian Man but it seems like he's saying how it's great for Asian Americans at how many young American skaters of Asian descent are excelling at skating. How is this negative?

livetoskate

Michelle looks amazing! Please, please perform at a show so I can go see it!! I actually have friends who stopped following skating after Michelle stopped competing. They just didn't care enough about the others on the scene. Imagine how she could revive skating's popularity in the US.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks for sharing!

Here's more on the amazing Grace Vanderwaal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB2kkKE6T0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQODLWSiyys

What a brave, smart, talented and illuminating young lady is Grace Vanderwaal, and so genuinely modest and thankful for her blessings. An angel who breaks and heals our hearts. Her speech at the Rising Star awards (end of last video) is amazing for someone so young. It brought tears to my eyes too with its depth of meaning and heartfelt emotion.

It's very fitting to see one formerly precocious, and still illuminatingly graceful & courageous artist collaborate with her equally talented and graceful sister to express another precocious and gifted artist's 'beautiful' music and lyrics on the ice.

Last edited:

Lucy25

I thought there would be much discussion about the Fresh off the Boat episode last night! Is it being discussed elsewhere that I am missing? The main plot was all about her loss to Tara and how the mom and kids were coping with it.

DannyCurry

I thought there would be much discussion about the Fresh off the Boat episode last night! Is it being discussed elsewhere that I am missing? The main plot was all about her loss to Tara and how the mom and kids were coping with it.

I've been obsessing so much over Michelle's "Beautiful Thing" routine that I haven't watched anything else in the past few days. Just kidding. I'm like 5 episodes late on Fresh Off the Boat but now knowing there's an episode about Tara & Michelle, I'll probably binge watch it soon :D

tracylynn

Me too! I loved that episode. I loved how the kids did the detective work to prove that was not the real Michelle Kwan. I liked Nancy Kerrigan's part in the episode. LOL!!

Lucy25

I kept wondering how Michelle would feel to see this. It was a little hard for me, personally, because it cuts deep still. I felt Jessica's pain, lol! Still, it was great to see half an episode about her, and I loved Nancy! I also loved how they left it w/Jessica still thinking there was a conspiracy, and that Nancy was encouraging her to dig deeper. Too funny!

DannyCurry

Finally watched the episode. I enjoyed it because Jessica cracks me up, but I would still nitpick on the World championships / Olympics / Nationals mix-up.

bardtoob

I've been obsessing so much over Michelle's "Beautiful Thing" routine that I haven't watched anything else in the past few days. Just kidding. I'm like 5 episodes late on Fresh Off the Boat but now knowing there's an episode about Tara & Michelle, I'll probably binge watch it soon :D

Wait ... It has been 20 years since Tara vs Michelle and 10+ years since Michelle vs Anyone, but this is still the subject of TV shows?

berthesghost

It was cute. The sort of "light entertainment" aspect of the show reminded me why I stopped watching, but it was interesting that it had at its core something more edgy: the fact that Asian Americans really identified with Kwan and were invested in her wins and devastated by her losses. Sometimes it's easy to forget how far we've come in a short period of time and that it was only 20 years ago when minorities were still clinging to the few examples of winners like them as these sort of "Jesus figures": the ones that were so perfect that white wasp male society will have no choice but to admit that they were people worthy of dignity too. Well, then there what's going on now. So yeah, a throw back to how important Kwan winning to immigrants was seems very au currant.

Fiero425

I hear she's doing the Team SP tomorrow. :eek:

I hope you're kidding! You see what happened to Patrick Chan yesterday trying to re-live past glory and earn that elusive GOLD Olympic medal! What makes her think she could get away with this? She's been gone even longer from competitive FS! This has to be a joke! :rolleyes: :wall: :duh: :kickass: :revenge: :sarah1: :sasha1:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
That spiral could kick the ass of 99.999% of the spirals in programs from this year. And I must admit I only put 99.999% percent because I haven't seen all of the programs, so there might be a better spiral that I haven't seen yet. (But somehow I doubt it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information